Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Matthew Rorie

Person » credited in 4 games

Once a GameSpot editor and then a Marketing and PR Producer at Obsidian Entertainment, Matt Rorie worked alongside Giant Bomb at Whiskey Media website Screened, and is now Product Manager for Giant Bomb. Matt's got faith of the heart; going where his heart will take him.

Why is it "Rorie" and not "Matthew"?

• 86 results
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@akyho said:

In Scotland David is a common name, so its either Dave, David or their surnames. I have a friend named David Blair, so we called him Blair he hates being called David nowadays. Another David called Sommerville....yeah we were gonna use that so instead we called him Sommy.

Friends brother was called a really poncy name so he rather be called Smithy which Smith was his last name.

Christopher was super common, and if we did called them by their first names it would be Chris, we had Chris Griffin known as Griff, Christopher Harvey we just called Harv or Harvey, Christopher Norevill called him Norevill, Chris Patterson called him Pat or Patterson...but we had a Pat so we sometimes said Chris Pat. Chris McKlearnon was McKlearnon...or Auburn he had "Auburn" hair. Christopher Hughes called him Hughsey.

All in one class man all those Christophers!!!

I was the only Richard so I kept my first name.

Dave is a big name here too. In fact it was the most popular name for boys the year I was born. There were 6 Davids in my HS in my year. At my work there are 3 others Daves as well. In one of my classes Dave is the teacher. It can be annoying.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Canteu

All people who know me, other than my family, call me by my surname. And my surname isn't even a first name.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By ShadowConqueror

It's a Japanese thing. You wouldn't understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I also get my surname instead of my first name as my first name is really common, Michael, and my school had a lot of Michaels.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So Rorie.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Rorie kind of sounds like a barking/howling puppy. Rorrorrorrorrorrr....ie.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#57  Edited By Yummylee

I wish more people I know IRL would call me Sherlock.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Akyho

@rorie: My first girlfriend for some reason instead of calling me Richard called me Rick. No one calls me Rick, I get called a hundred things Rich, Dick, Richy, Tricky, Trekkie, Darth, Garth, Stan, Stanfeild, Ricardo, Ricardo Chico, one guy even knows me as John. NEVER a Rick except my first girlfriend.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By SuperTess

Someone I used to work with started calling me Tess, which is part of my last name. It's pretty much the only nickname I tolerate. And one of my college roommates always went by her last name, to the point where it was weird to hear her first name used.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By dethfish

I try to never call people by their last name, probably because I fucking HATE it when people call me by my last name. Hate it. I don't know why.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Who is this Matthew you speak of? I know only Rorie: Master of Puppies.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of my real life friends call me Snake because I do a pretty okay Solid Snake impression, all of my online friends call me Arty or Lina. Sometimes I forget I even have a real given name so whenever I hear it, it's like "What? Oh, right."

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I went by something as unique as Rorie. I keep trying to get people to call me Xander instead of Alex. No one's biting.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

@joeyravn said:

I guess nobody likes the name "Matthew". Just look at Kessler. I mean, Matthew. Kessler.

You mean Bodega?

Damnit, I was going to reply exactly that! :D

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't go by Matthew either.

Mostly because my name isn't Matthew, but still. Wish it were, though... I always hated mine.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Because Rorie.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I obviously haven't been paying enough attention, because I always had it in my head that it was his first name.

Rorie is a last name, too?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's pretty common at least in the states for folks to use their middle/last names as a first. I have a friend who goes by her middle name just because she doesn't care for her first. Having a common name is probably the usual reason for people preferring not to go by the first.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Back during the founding of Screened, there were at least three Matt/Matthews around. I think Kessler was around Whiskey Media at that time too.

It also fits since Rorie is pronounced the same way as the first name Rory.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Why is it "Rorie" and not "Rawr-rie"?

hawkinsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By hawkinsn

"Rorie" is closer sounding to "puppy" than "Matthew" is. That's the "reason."

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@i_stay_puft: Beats me! Always been the way we pronounce it.

@akyho: To be fair, "tricky" is a pretty rad nickname. I'd go for that one if I were you.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@shagge said:

I don't go by Matthew either.

Mostly because my name isn't Matthew, but still. Wish it were, though... I always hated mine.

Scooby loves your name, Shag. You never need to be jealous of Freddy.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: Poppycock! It's Fred what should be jealous of me! It's MY goddamn van...

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

@mariachimacabre: Poppycock! It's Fred what should be jealous of me! It's MY goddamn van...

And yet who do both of the chicks go with every time you split up and search for clues? Look man, you need to dump them. They're using you. They think you're an easy target because you think your dog can talk.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: He can totally talk! Admittedly not very well, but that'll happen when his diet consists entirely of a special blend of shrooms and pot brownies.

It's just like that time I met Don Rickles, Laurel & Hardy, and Mama Cass while demasking yet another caretaker who discovered how to make a Pepper's Ghost illusion. They didn't believe me, either, and Scoob thought it'd be hi-fucking-larious to clam up around them.

Don't think for one second that I've let him off the hook, either. Scooby Snacks look a LOT like Ex-Lax, y'know...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By TruthTellah

Because his name is "Rorie".

It's like "Madonna" or "F. Scott Fitzgerald".

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Well Tricky is short for Tricky Dick and when I was 10 walking to the local store. My siser saw somthing shiney in a bush reached in and grabbed it. Then asked if she could eat his bubblegum. I looked and it was a Tricky Dick branded condom....I have a slight aversion to the nick name in the UK.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By cooljammer00

Not to necro-post, but this thread reminds me of when I was in elementary school and there were three kids named James. James Gasparino, James Delaney, and James Perry. We just called them by their last names for convenience except for James Perry, who demanded to be called James, especially since we called the others by their last names. As if the name "James" was now up for grabs since the other two weren't using it. No one really listened to him, of course, and we just called him Perry (when we called him at all, which was rare because he was kind of an uptight jerk). Even teachers did it for convenience.

Side note: years later, James Perry changed his last name to something else, I think to whatever his stepfather's last name was out of respect for him after he died.

Tl;dr Rorie is a cool name.

Evan223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had a problem with having the same name as someone else until I made a Twitter account, sharing the same name as some dude who works at the BBC meant I used to get @ mentioned a lot.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ripelivejam

i know this is old af but i kind of have a weird thing about being called by my surname, it just seems so impersonal. i don't really raise a fuss or am vocal about it though, so w/e. about half at my work call me by it and half call me by my first name. granted there are two other mikes in my dept. so it makes it easier i suppose.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lived with two Chris's once. Chris Dyke became "The Duke", then "Duke", then "Count Dookuuuuu", and then just "Dykey". Chris Hutchinson became "Old Man" because he smoked too much pot and was frail. This was ten years ago and if we are ever all together, I will often call them The Duke/Old Man. Seems perfectly natural, but the grown-ups will look baffled.

In short: To differentiate him from other Matthew's would be my guess.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evan223 said:

I never had a problem with having the same name as someone else until I made a Twitter account, sharing the same name as some dude who works at the BBC meant I used to get @ mentioned a lot.

Yeah, I can see how annoying that could be. I follow Natalie Morales (the actress) on Twitter and she's constantly fielding questions meant for Natalie Morales, a reporter on The Today Show. I guess we saw a lot of that with Will Smith the redhead.

When I google myself, my Twitter is now the first hit. The 2nd, 3rd, and rest of the hits are still somebody else, but they seem to be smart dudes who wrote papers and got published and not some criminal or something, so I got that going for my name at least.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fellow Matthew. Frequently get the "Matt or Matthew?" to which I don't really care- most folks usually just call me Lighthill anyway. Seems like when you get 8+ males around our age together you end up with at least 2 Matt's, at which point nicknames or surnames just save from having multiple people react whenever you say "Hey Matt".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.