Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Metal Gear Scanlon 4: Guns of the Ryckerts Waiting Room

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Im interested to see how the dudes react to the number and length of cutscenes. Drew has said before that he is primarily here for the story, and there is certainly plenty of that to go around. They will probably need to increase the length of the average episode.

Can't fucking wait until they see some of the iconic moments in this game. I really want to see Drew's reaction to the return of Shadow Moses as a reminder of how far he's come on this journey, and how fucking cool the final boss fight with Liquid is. Also the super weird shit like those damn television programs in the beginning haha. And I can already envision how much drew's eyes are going to glaze over during the half hour of exposition with Big Boss at the end when you already thought the game was over. Man, this fucking game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can't wait so long as Drew shows some enthusiasm this time around. MGS3 he seemed a little over it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@bushpusherr: Let's not forget how much Drew's eyes will roll if he notices Snake trying to get a look up Naomi's skirt when he "drops" his cigarette

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS 4 was my first game into this series and even though the story explains who Big Boss was I was still like who the hell is this guy to be so damn special!? Then I played 3 and I understood now. then played 1, then 2. yea I had a weird way of tackling this series.

Still love it!

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shouldn't we have a Peace Walker (Peace Duder) waiting room first before MGS4 *crosses finger in hope*

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@rigas: they said they're not playing it on stream.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know when people come at you with the exaggeration of "Metal Gear Solid is just ten minutes of gameplay for every hour of cutscene" and you're like "get fucked, no it isn't."

Well with 4, it kind of is.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Went straight from playing the last few hours of MGS3 to the first few hours of MGS4. Kojima is good at making players feel what the protagonist is feeling, I find in 2 and 4. War has changed a lot. Crawling over lying people, the items you find no longer being floating boxes and the super long cutscenes were probably more disorienting than the Geckos and sneaking between warring factions, mind. It's weird, I knew this world already from Revengeance, but I have no idea how Snake is going to handle it. The man can't just combo those Geckos.

Is this particular type of sci-fi named something? That is, near-future guerilla warfare with a lot of cyborgs and some robots? I've only read one other thing that fits, the manga Eden: It's an endless world. It's not the same, but I thought there were some similarities. I'm not that deep into sci-fi, so for all I know they're both based on something really famous.

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#59  Edited By Humanity

@royce_mccutcheon: It still kinda isn't. The cutscenes can get super long by industry standards but there is decent gameplay in there. I had also remembered it as mostly cutscenes but when I played through again a year or two ago I was surprised how much gameplay there was against what I remembered it being.

That said, yah, it probably has the least amount of honest gaming time out of the entire series.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

Drew should definitely find 4 less frustrating to play. Also, shit just goes completely nuts in an amazing way.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By csl316

Finishing up 3, can't wait til they do 4. I've beaten the other games in the series a dozen times, but MGS4 was a one-and-done deal.

I'm almost temped to just run through it one more time.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

God damn how fucking cool is snakes sneaking suit in MGS4? The way it changes the camo automatically is just fantastic.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: I don't know if I would call MGS4 and Revegeance the same universe at all. In MGS4 you have mainly nanomachines that take care of the whole futuristic thing in soldiers. And in Revengeance its cyborg stuff. Also you don't necessarily have as much guys running around with swords and slicing people open. If anything, the world of Revegaence is the start of a new era after MGS4.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished MGS4. Last time I played it I only got 3/4 through and I hadn't played MGS3 prior to that.

Now with my playthrough of 3 and having finished the game - far out - Kojima is a maniac who knows how to do nostalgia and fan service. Liquid + Snake fight with all the different music and themed health bars? Just one crazy example

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I remember really liking 4 when it came out until Big Boss showed up and went from 0 to 1 to 0 to 1 back to 0. Looking back at it, that game is rough. The gameplay is fine and it looks great, but there's some Twin Snakes level of nonsense in that game. Will be interesting to see how someone who is playing the games in somewhat rapid succession will take it.

There are some really awesome moments in that game, but man I can't go back to it.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rigas: peace walker was 2010, mgs4 was 2008, why would they go out of order now?

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@kasaioni: It doesn't really matter to me if you want to consider it a different era, it is literally the next one after MGS4. What I'm saying is that it was instantly familiar to see geckos in modern city ruins. I was expecting Platinum to have added the crazy holding a blade with his high heels-combo and sword-breakdancing stuff, but when I played through act 2 yesterday I watched what felt like a half hour cutscene of Raiden doing Revengeance stuff. He even spun Geckos tied to his legs. Like yeah, most of the opponents in Revengeance are cyborgs and UMGs and not nanobots and powered suit users, which is an inversion of MGS4 presumably to reflect the different protagonist. Still, those elements are all present in both games. I was pleasantly surprised to see three of the ball robots walking on top of one another, pretending to be a man in a coat and hat during chapter 3. What I figured were Platinum designs were MGS4 designs originally.

I like it, so far. Not a fan of the war zones concept, not a fan of the stupid long cutscenes and I miss having a codec with some content. Laughing Beauty freaked me out and made me really wonder how much octopi there is in the North Sea. But the game itself is very playable and exciting. Anyway, I've got questions about it I'm not waiting for metal gear scanlon to ask. Got up until Raging Raven, so no spoilers beyond that point.

Do they ever explain what was up with the team of MGS3? I guess I'm happy the Patriots have faces now, although almost all of them are dead, but I wouldn't have expected these people to be involved. Apparantly Para-Medic was Dr. Clarke, so what, was she telling Gray Fox about all of the exciting new movies she's seen lately while she tortured him? How come Zero needs his subordinate to be a religious icon for his top secret organization nobody should know exists, to the extent that he would put his ancient zombie remains on life support? EVA had a long monologue about it, but I don't feel this matches up with what I'd already heard about the Patriots and what I know about these characters. She's the only one I buy, really. She would have his babies and leave. But what, torture expert Ocelot killed one of their members during torture and still came back to work for them after MGS1, no questions asked? Big Boss was both one of the people controlling the world _and_ a terrorist leader who wanted soldiers to be independent? And what about MGS2, was Vamp secretly working with Ocelot? Didn't GW say something to the effect that the Patriots were all AIs now? If anyone's got the time, make sense of this for me. Or tell me they get back to it. Or tell me to not care and just enjoy that they found a way to relate the story to all of the earlier games.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#69  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@onimonkii said:

@rigas: peace walker was 2010, mgs4 was 2008, why would they go out of order now?

A ton of people make the mistake in thinking Peace Walker came between 3 and 4. I think it's either them just remembering there was a PSP Metal Gear that came out between 3 and 4, or because it's bundled with 2 and 3 in the HD Collection.

cooltube96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst metal gear.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kasaioni

@redhotchilimist: Well I think Platinum did say that they were keeping in mine that one scene with Raiden in act 2 specifically when making the game, iirc.

As for your MGS4 inquiries. I can't say as much as I would like to right now, but what I can say is that a lot of people feel that the Patriots original members being your support team from MGS3 seemed sort of weird. As to why specifically they became the way they did? Hopefully MGSV will have answers for us in that regard; as we are expecting Zero to show up at some point in it. But otherwise the answer is just that they all "interpreted The Boss's will" incorrectly. Why did Zero want to control Big Boss to the extent that he did? He's crazy and he felt he needed an icon is the message I got from that scene. More concretely, Peace Walker tells us that, on a practical level, Zero's dream of a nation without borders also needs and army without borders. And maybe Vamp was working for Ocelot the whole time in MGS2. He seems sort of on the level of Ocelot of doing whatever he wants to do.

I think it's helpful to think of the saga of Metal Gear involving two warring parties, sort of as Eva describes. After MGS3, on the one hand you have Zero, Sigint, and Paramedic working towards a governance without borders via information control; one interpretation of the boss's will. On the other hand, you have Big Boss, Eva, and Ocelot. Eva and Ocelot originally siding with Zero, but then moving to Big Boss's side of things. And Big Boss fighting for an army without borders. All were original members of the Patriots. But with Big Boss's group splitting off later. Then, on Zero's side of things, the A.I.s were created at some point.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@TechnoSyndrome said:

@onimonkii said:

A ton of people make the mistake in thinking Peace Walker came between 3 and 4. I think it's either them just remembering there was a PSP Metal Gear that came out between 3 and 4, or because it's bundled with 2 and 3 in the HD Collection.

yeah portable ops seems like the forgotten one of the series. i'm not sure if it's rightfully so because i've never had a psp or vita, but i always just lumped peace walker in with it myself as "things i'll probably never play, but happened, and are probably somewhat important".

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I cannot fucking wait for this. 4 is by far my favorite game in the series and the amount of crazy, weird, and awesome shit that happens in that game is just absurd. I wonder how playing them so close together (meh, close enough) will affect Drew. Will he appreciate it more since the series is still relatively fresh in his memory or will a lot of the nods and winks and wrapups of previous games be met with more indifference since the whole nostalgia angle doesn't exist for him? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome said:

@onimonkii said:

yeah portable ops seems like the forgotten one of the series. i'm not sure if it's rightfully so because i've never had a psp or vita, but i always just lumped peace walker in with it myself as "things i'll probably never play, but happened, and are probably somewhat important".

Portable Ops is by far the least important of the series. Kojima didn't direct it, so he doesn't really consider it canon or important. And, compared to Peace Walker, it's lackluster at best.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be one heck of a ride.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@kasaioni said:

@onimonkii said:

@TechnoSyndrome said:

@onimonkii said:

Portable Ops is by far the least important of the series. Kojima didn't direct it, so he doesn't really consider it canon or important. And, compared to Peace Walker, it's lackluster at best.

Kojima's exact stance is that parts of the story are canon and parts aren't, though he's never elaborated on what exactly did or didn't happen. All of the relevant story beats in Portable Ops that lead into 4 happen in the ending cutscene and post credits stinger, I'm guessing everything before that isn't canon.

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
    deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This...is a bad name for this feature

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By selbie

Found this awesome megacut of all the story scenes in MGS4 for anyone wanting to sit for 7 HOURS.....

Spoilers of course...

Loading Video...

Also, how about Guns of the Ryckert instead :3

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onimonkii said:

My god you are right! My brain must have had the date of Portable Ops (2006) in my brain! This makes me feel better now. Thanks for the reminder Techno.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Scanlon 4: Guns of the Ryckert ?

hmm this is not an easy title to rename with Drew or Dan :/. Cmon duder community, brainstorm here!

I was thinking "Dan is the Patriots" A evil twist that the man helping and aiding Drew during his arduous journey the past 3 games is actually part of the organization and has used his knowledge to control information from Drew. Like when he "improperly told him about the death pill" in mgs3. You think he really screwed up!? Open your eyes you fools!

And then Dan and Drew pull up their sleeves and start fighting in that stream room with all the mgs themes in the background. After a few minutes they stop and Dan brings in Jason, the man pulling the strings of Dan the whole time! Kojima shit all over!!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope Drew doesn't try to overthink this game based on past Metal Gear games and his paranoia that the game is trying to screw him - this is one of the only games in the series that basically just boils down to - just shoot people, even the bosses - Screaming Mantis is the only boss that is slightly different (that and having to jab Vamp)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing through 4 now, and I love it. The mechanical improvements are great and the story is thoroughly batshit so far. It is taking me forever though. My vacation ended, work's been hectic and then there was the game jam eating up a week. I've got almost this entire coming weekend free though, so marathon! Gotta finish it up before Drew starts. Oh, and then get me a premium membership so I can actually watch.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this particular type of sci-fi named something? That is, near-future guerilla warfare with a lot of cyborgs and some robots? I've only read one other thing that fits, the manga Eden: It's an endless world. It's not the same, but I thought there were some similarities. I'm not that deep into sci-fi, so for all I know they're both based on something really famous.

Sounds like "military sci-fi" or some subset thereof. It's a pretty broad genre though and covers anything from what you described up to far-flung future navy-esque giant spaceship battles.

Krafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see Portable Ops next... maybe even ghost babel because it's so damn good.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Guns of the Ryckert? I think that flows better as a tilte

Metal Gear Scanlon 4: Guns of the Ryckerts. Make it happen.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kawiji said:
    @theuprightman said:

It's been changed - guarantee now others will come on about the title and want it to be different. Still - the (some) people have spoken!

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kawiji said:
    @theuprightman said:

It's been changed - guarantee now others will come on about the title and want it to be different. Still - the (some) people have spoken!

this is awful! you are all morons being controlled by the nanos man!

call it Metal Gear Scanlon: the Quatro!

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By fractal_seaweed

My work for the La-li-lu-le-lo is done.

See'ya later.
    See'ya later.
    theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By theuprightman

My evil plan is working

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope they play mgr.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#95  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I was thinking about this game today and then suddenly remembered all of Act 2, which I had previously forgot existed. Great stealth there now that it's coming back to me.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Acts 1 and 2 are the only real "game" part of this game. Don't get me wrong, going back to Shadow Moses is fucking cool, but the majority of 'playing' a new stealth or action game felt like it happened early

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By archnite

Does anyone know if Drew and Dan are aware of the full install added to MGS4 in 2012, that is one big "Snake Smoking" screen instead of the smaller ones between chapters? Should they do the full install ahead of time for convenience or should Drew experience MGS4 as it released with Smoking Screens between every chapter? Also should they get all the free Camo/iPod/weapon DLC that was made available?

Even bigger question is Dan aware of the secret Chapter 0 Cutscene or will they just jump straight to "New Game"?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put another 5-6 hours into 4 today and fuck this game is nuts. I mean, Metal Gear is always kind of nuts, but this one is just all over the place insane. I beat Laughing Octopus and uhh, her post-octopus constantly laughing like a fucking maniac and dodging your bullets form and WTF? This series has gotten so weird.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bushpusherr: The final boss fight is cool as shit and, if MGS 1/2 are anything to go by, Drew will probably hate it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just depends on how his mindset is going into it and how he goes during it.

Surely there'll be less grenade spamming in this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.