Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Metal Gear Scanlon 4: Guns of the Ryckerts Waiting Room

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Captain_Insano

Just finished watching Metal Gear Scanlon 3 and am playing through the series again myself and I thought, "Screw it, why don't YOU make the waiting room this time?" (also lock in the title you want now!)

So here it is - I know a lot of people are hoping for Peace Walker, but my assumption is that they'll go to MGS4 first, and may not get to PW at all anyway.

I am psyched to see the series continue, though I do imagine it will be after E3 as that makes a lot of sense content wise.

Shit's gonna get real

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Should this be a different thread? I thought the other one would have just changed it's title or something.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: I don't know - I think MGS3 was the first with its own 'waiting room thread' - thought each game deserved separate treatment - happy to ask the mods to delete the thread though if it seems superfluous

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I never finished 4. I got to some point where i was fighting metal gears from on top of drebin's van and then just never got back to it. Now I'm debating whether or not to play through it before they do or experience the rest of the story for the first time along with Drew...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bigjeffrey

Can't wait to watch the movie along with Drew.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Don't you mean, watiting?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they make it in time for Phantom Pain but I fear it might be too much MGS-premium content for one year and might make Drew burn out on the series. They don't even have to play Phantom Pain (I probably won't even watch it until I've finished my playthrough if they did), they just need to finish Peace Walker so Drew can play Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain on his own time and maybe do a podcast around it. Whatever the case, looking forward to the next one!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to watch the movie along with Drew.

Ha - I "played some MGS4 last night". Booted up the PS3. Loaded the save. Watched cutscene/s. Saved again. Shut down. Hour had passed.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I recently watched some of the 'making of' videos for 4. It was cool to see how meticulous Kojima is. With some recent big budget games being buggy, it did make me think how the Metal Gear titles were so ambitious and still (as far as I saw) so smooth in the way they ran. He really appeared to fight for every inch of that game to be the way he wanted it to be despite most other people telling him otherwise. I guess that could have played into the recent events between Konami and Kojima, or was the real reason outed? I have not kept up with it.

I'm all for a new waiting room... different game, different thread.

Also, I want a collection of all of Drew's impersonations. His Ahnuld: "C'maaan Aiym Heeuuuh!" gets me every time.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bet my bottom Drebin Point that this will be Drew's favorite MGS game. Since you don't actually control most of it, he'll find it way less frustrating. :P

I really need to finish MGS4 at some point. Thing is, I'd have to start from the beginning at this point to remember what happens, and I kinda wouldn't mind discovering the rest of the story along with Drew for once. On the other hand, I have a Metal Gear gameplay itch, and I played the earlier games too recently to just play those again.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently watched some of the 'making of' videos for 4. It was cool to see how meticulous Kojima is. With some recent big budget games being buggy, it did make me think how the Metal Gear titles were so ambitious and still (as far as I saw) so smooth in the way they ran. He really appeared to fight for every inch of that game to be the way he wanted it to be despite most other people telling him otherwise. I guess that could have played into the recent events between Konami and Kojima, or was the real reason outed? I have not kept up with it.

I'm all for a new waiting room... different game, different thread.

Also, I want a collection of all of Drew's impersonations. His Ahnuld: "C'maaan Aiym Heeuuuh!" gets me every time.

Any particular videos or did you just watch some from Youtube? That stuff sounds pretty intriguing.

I was mildly indifferent on Metal Gear the first time around (I'd played MGS1 and MGS2, had somehow missed 3 [which is now my favourite] and only played MGS4 up til the third act). Metal Gear Scanlon has sort of bitten deep - I've watched their play throughs and done my own and am wandering deep into the Metal Gear Wiki stuff. I still understand almost none of it, but it's freaking amazing.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By isomeri

@humanity said:

Don't you mean, watiting?

Yeah, I can't believe this got screwed up again.

Anyhow the summer lull between E3 and Autumn releases would seem like a logical spot for another MGScanlon. I'm really looking forward to MGS4, because it gets back to the ridiculousness that I loved in MGS2. It's also a lot easier to play, and Drew's Rambo tactics will probably work a lot better. The only thing I'm kind of dreading is Drebin's Shop and all the gun management, which Drew will likely not want to engage with because it's slightly time consuming.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@captain_insano: It's a 4 part video. I think it is the 3rd where you see Kojima have to fight a bit to keep tweaking the game.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bet Drew will absolutely love being able to crouch-walk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I was hoping for Metal Gear Scanlon 4: Guns of Navarro

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By willin

Just letting you guys know if you are unaware: The ending cutscene for Metal Gear Solid 4 is AN HOUR AND A HALF LONG.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Drew will probably like this the most because you can shoot through more easily and the stealth is friendlier too.

@oscar__explosion said:

I bet Drew will absolutely love being able to crouch-walk.

Also this.

I played a lot of this game by stealth sniping with a silenced rifle and I think Drew could also love playing like that. It was the stealthiest he would be, when he could line up longer silenced shots in 3. You can really do that in 4.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@wackojackman: No reasons have come out for the Kojima leaving thing, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if what you say is the case. They could spend a lot less making Metal Gear games and (in their mind at least) make similar money on them. Also maybe have more spin offs, free to play this and that. We will see.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I can't wait for smoking monkey

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I just hope Dan brings more popcorn... a lot more popcorn.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I will bet the first episode will stop after the fourth cut scene when you see the geckos for the first time.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

For people thinking they'll follow this with Peace Walker or something: After the extensive ending of this beastly game, Drew will need months to recover and find the will for MGS V.

I hope this is the last one they do this year, as much as I like these games. Unless we can spare 10 monutes for Ground Zeroes

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Lol a few episodes will require Drew to do nothing but sit there and watch.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how much trouble he has with the MASSIVE gameplay flaw in MGS4 where it prevents you from crawling over a downed opponent.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Teddie

I hope the episode length is increased to reflect the cutscene length so we don't wind up with an entire episode being a mission briefing. Also, I think Dan is way overselling how complex the story in 4 gets. It's nowhere near MGS2 levels.

@hassun: You saw him play the past games, if there's one thing he won't be doing much of it's crawling.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@teddie said:

I hope the episode length is increased to reflect the cutscene length so we don't wind up with an entire episode being a mission briefing. Also, I think Dan is way overselling how complex the story in 4 gets. It's nowhere near MGS2 levels.

There's more things going on overall I would say but you can pretty much understand every bit. Things are explained more.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By matatat

How does Portable Ops figure into the timeline at all? Does it matter to anything in the story? I always seem to get confused between Peacewalker and PO.

Also was Portable Ops the one that had like comic book cutscenes? Not sure if I tried playing that or if it was Peacewalker. But whatever it was I thought it was really boring.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: That gameplay-thing was there is 3 as well though, isn't it? Or maybe it was 2?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

As a die hard MGS fan, MGS4 is the most frustrating from a story perspective and none of the boss fights are particularly interesting. However, it's the easiest to control.

Out of all of them, it's hardest to go back to because the cutscenes are just too fucking much.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Teddie

@artisanbreads: Definitely, which is why I'm worried Dan will try to force those end-of-episode story recaps (he said they would need to do that again in the last episode of MGScanlon 3). The game is going to be doing the big 10 minute break downs for them, and I'm positive if they were doing their own break downs he'd burn the fuck out of having to listen to the game going over it all too.

@turboman: None of the bosses? The last boss is a fucking excellent cap on the franchise. It's my favourite section from any of the games.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Yeah, the B&B Corps. sorta suck. And aside from the cut scenes, my biggest problem is the frame-rate. It's hard going back to MGS4 when practically all the other Metal Gear games are at 60fps now.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The personality and design of the bosses did them no favor. I really like 4 but it's one of the major flaws that game has.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@kasaioni said:

@turboman: Yeah, the B&B Corps. sorta suck. And aside from the cut scenes, my biggest problem is the frame-rate. It's hard going back to MGS4 when practically all the other Metal Gear games are at 60fps now.

I really liked the pseudo call backs with all of them. Having another sniper battle in the snowfield at shadow moses? Great stuff. My only problem with the B&B corps was their back stories were copy & paste. Young girl who had something horribly wrong and now she is consumed by one specific type of emotion blah blah.....

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Guns of the Ryckert? I think that flows better as a tilte

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Definitely not in 3. Don't recall if it was in 2 although crawling much less of a factor there anyway.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Quarters

@matatat said:

How does Portable Ops figure into the timeline at all? Does it matter to anything in the story? I always seem to get confused between Peacewalker and PO.

Also was Portable Ops the one that had like comic book cutscenes? Not sure if I tried playing that or if it was Peacewalker. But whatever it was I thought it was really boring.

Portable Ops takes place in 1970, 6 years after Snake Eater, and shows how the Patriots get the other half of the Legacy(mentioned in the timeline before the Snake Eater end credits), and basically shows the formation of Foxhound. It pushes Big Boss closer to mercenary stuff, setting him up for where he is Peace Walker, which takes place in 1974. PO and PW both have comic style cutscenes. Peace Walker is much higher quality in both gameplay and story, but Portable Ops has its moments.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know its a lot on Drew, but I got kinda sad when Dan said "probably 2015" for MGS4...I am already impatiently awaiting the next installment!!!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

MGS4 is one of the wildest, gamiest games ever made. Very excited to see Dan & Drew get through it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: There are a few sequences in 4 where it's handy though. Like the warzone scenes.

Either way it annoyed me to no end, got spotted way too many times because of that idiot thing.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys hated the B&B Corps? I loved them, hearing their back story was awesome! Drebin is a badass story teller too! What is up with most of the MGS3 Cobra Unity anyways? The Pain loved bees as a kid and the Fear wanted to be Sasquatch or something right?

But seriously, I think Drew is going to hate that Vamp fight, just because theres so much going on around and judging from snake eater and the lack of CQC, drew will never use the syringe on him.

Also, very excited to see drew react to the return of shadow moses, Big Mama, and the tunnel of finger endurance!

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate Meta Gear Solid. MGS4 was the first one I finished and I loved it so much I went back and played all the others and now I'm a huge huge fan of all of them.

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the war theme of MGS 4 but I feel like it is a missed opportunity. Being able to pick up enemy weapons and having a much larger arsenal was very refreshing. But it quickly becomes obvious that there are a few obvious “best” weapons in the game.

At any rate, I am looking forward to seeing how Drew will react to the improved controller. Surely he will like it better than the previous games’ controllers?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I thought it might have been in 3. I know the crawling in 3 can get sketchy if you crawl right-up next to walls and trees.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Spelled watitng wrong again

you people are the worst

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

@teddie: By "the bosses" I'm just talking about the four main ones. The fight at the end I just lump together with the rest of the excellent ending (along with the microwave hallway). They were all too fan servicey for my taste. The only good one is the sniper boss battle.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: When you crawl into a tree or wall you go to kneeled in 3 but not when you crawl over/near a corpse. That happens in 4.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@captain_insano: It's a 4 part video. I think it is the 3rd where you see Kojima have to fight a bit to keep tweaking the game.

I love that Kojima legitimately wanted The End fight in 3 to take the player a couple of weeks - this doco was pretty interesting at looking (sort of) at his process

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.