Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Did you play Peacewalker prior to playing MGSV and did you like the end of MGSV? (Spoilers in discussion)

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Did you play Peacewalker prior to playing MGSV and did you like the end of MGSV? (Spoilers in discussion) (63 votes)

Finished Peacewalker. Didn't like MGSV's ending. 19%
    Finished Peacewalker. I liked MGSV's ending. 54%
    Finished playing Peacewalker. Didn't like MGSV's ending. 0%
    Finished playing Peacewalker. I liked MGSV's ending. 8%
    Nanomachines, son! 11%
    Never be game over 8%

Been debating with a friend whether experiencing PW changes your impression of the ending of MGSV. I know a lot of people just wiki'd some of the events of Peacewalker so also interested how that may have influenced opinions on the ending.

I'm especially curious as to the expectations people had in regards to the character of Big Boss. I feel like the "turn" some people wanted out of him this game actually happened in Peacewalker so the twist about Snake's identity in MGSV doesn't really impact my impressions of Big Boss personally since I saw bits of that character shift in Peacewalker.

• 
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chapter 2 was underwhelming, this seems to be nearly universally agreed upon. Peacewalker has very little to do with it, though if you did play and like Peacewalker I'm sure you'll be underwhelmed by the tapes, usage of Strangelove and Paz, and general storyline "Meh"-ness, though undoubtedly still impressed by the gameplay aside from the mediocre boss fights.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Seems like "I didn't play it" would have been a good idea to put in the poll instead of two joke options.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oops, "I chose finished Peace Walker and didn't like MGSV's ending." After reading the spoiler thing, I think you meant that choice as "watching Peace Walker"? I dont know what you meant.

Anyway, I played through all of Peace Walker, and I didn't like MGSV's story at all. I didn't like Peace Walker's story either, but whatever. At least MGSV plays a hell of a lot better than Peace Walker.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maluvin

@Mike: Weird, my changes to the 3rd and 4th options didn't take. Were supposed to say

"Never finished playing Peacewalker. Didn't like MGSV's ending."
    "Never finished playing Peacewalker. I liked MGSV's ending"

Can't seem to change it at this point either. :/

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hatking

I didn't play Peacewalker, but I did watch the entire thing (I do now own it and may eventually play it myself), and I'm indifferent but have mostly accepted the MGSV ending. Nothing really aligns with my feelings in the poll, but I also still haven't fully settled where I stand on the game.

I'm sort of indifferent on the ending. I think that MGSV does the worst job in the series at presenting itself. I'm fine with the twist, at first it kind of felt hollow, but after some contemplation, I get what it was trying to do. A lot of my problem comes in the way the game gives several hours worth of exposition dump on tape and it is up to the audience to either listen to all of that--which is tedious and poorly presented--or filter through it and hope that you get the important bits, and without those bits the whole thing feels a little false.

All in all the ending makes sense and has some thematic similarities with other games in the series, and I'm willing to forgive a lot for that, but it also feels pretty tacked on in a lot of ways. It felt like they opted for the twist, dropped in a few tapes to explain plot holes, found a way to plug it in the series, and that's that. But there are about eighty unaccounted for hours that largely mean nothing grander toward that moment than "you're a decoy." The game is built largely around the theme of language, and the final act pivots into something about "Big Boss is just a name". That bit can easily plug into the idea of inheritance (gene, meme, scene), but it doesn't really coexist in any way with the rest of the narrative that focuses on language. It just kind of becomes two competing themes that don't operate with each other, and in the end the language stuff is sort of secondary.

I think honestly a lot of this could have been solved with a better presentation. I think the answers to the problems are in the game, they just do a really bad job of pacing that stuff and surfacing some of it. All said, I still enjoyed the game, and for the most part I forgive the flaws of the ending--except making me replay the entire fucking tutorial, fuck that trash.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

These... poll options are confusing.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played all of Peacewalker, and enjoyed MGSV and it's ending. Worked well as an indirect characterization of Big Boss.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I played through Peace Walker, got the real ending on my own so I was fine with the idea of Chapter 2 of Phantom Pain but it's terribly obvious they ran out of money after Chapter 1. All the story beats of Chapter 2 are fantastic. Quiet's wrap up and "Shining Lights, Even in Death" are fucking incredible. The whole Eli thing being unresolved in game is total bullshit (fuck Konami). Chapter 2 just feels disjointed in literally every possible way to the point where it shouldn't have even been called "Chapter 2: Race", especially when Race had nothing to do with anything, but instead called "Epilogue". I don't think this is that much like Peace Walker because in PW, you at least at those Zadornov missions to let you know how you were progressing plus it was 4 chapters and a "prologue". It kinda felt like the first ending was the conclusion of the game. I agree in that Big Boss's turn happens during Peace Walker and in particularly Chapter 5: Outer Heaven.

I voted I liked the ending but I was more saying I liked the story on a base level, I think it was executed really poorly. Replay that incredibly scripted opening of the game again with literally no changes and while that's a fantastic opening....it's like an hour long and there's no changes outside of the cutscenes. Why not play as Ishmael during that sequence or something? And then the ending bit in the bathroom just felt like a weird note to end the series on. It felt a little too edgy for its own good, there was no meditation on the events like MGS has done since MGS1. Like okay, I'm Venom Snake, me the player? So then Big Boss is using me the player for his own goals? And sends me to my death in Outer Heaven? I don't feel congratulated by Big Boss's deception, I want revenge against HIM. This idea that the player and the character are one in the same makes so much more sense in MGS2 when Raiden STARTS off as a player avatar and then is revealed to be entirely his own character and literally throws away your control of him. I like that Venom isn't the real Big Boss and is working as a proxy much like Zero's proxy, the Patriots but MGSV's ending feels clunky and unfinished...which is exactly what it is and to me, that's the ultimate problem with it. Basically: fuck Konami.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoOzak

@razzuel said:

Oops, "I chose finished Peace Walker and didn't like MGSV's ending." After reading the spoiler thing, I think you meant that choice as "watching Peace Walker"? I dont know what you meant.

Anyway, I played through all of Peace Walker, and I didn't like MGSV's story at all. I didn't like Peace Walker's story either, but whatever. At least MGSV plays a hell of a lot better than Peace Walker.

Yeah I made the same mistake. And agree about both games. Although I did like the end to chapter one. Shooting dick face about 20 times with a sawn-off shotgun and hearing him beg for death made me smile. I also seem to be in the minority of people who like Miller so sharing that moment with him was pretty great.

The true ending was a let down but after hearing about the cut content I at least know their intentions were good but that's less of a story thing and more 'I like games that end in big arse boss fights'. The last thing I did in MGS V though was Quiets mission, which wasnt great gameplay wise but at least it felt climatic and all the cutscenes were awesome so that made things better.

As a whole though there wasnt really that much going on in The Phantom Pain. They managed to squeeze in some MGS weirdness near the end but it was a pretty run of the mill revenge story throughout. At least it didnt milk the ending of MGS3 to death like PW did though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.