Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Metal Gear Online---Anyone Else Worried ?

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Aside from the initial reveal we haven't heard jack or had the pleasure to see more of the online component to MGSV:TPP.

The studio kept saying they will be showing more soon, but with a little more than a month out it makes me a little skeptical how this will turn out now.

This very well could be the signs of:

*The studio lost motivation due to the Konami/Kojima splitting ways, and so the tail end is "half assed".
    *The online may be a laggy mess as no beta was done.
    *Post release content will more than likely be dead in the water due to the split.
    *A different team may take over after the release, and change it for the worse...better? Who knows?

There's plenty to be worried about for this portion of the game that would give it legs. The actual SP content will be monumental given Kojima's past work, but Metal Gear Online of the past has suffered from a lot of issues. While I spent more hours than I care to admit with MGS4's MGO I don't think I'd have the patience for a hot mess online TPS experience in this day and age with a market flooded with top notch competitive online games to go to.

Anyone else had their hype a bit deflated for MGO?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Oh. Its going to be a shit show. I guarantee you it won't get much post launch support or at least I'll be pretty shocked if it does.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm hopeful that it isn't broken, but I don't know who is going to be there for post launch patches.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Meh. I'll just ignore it, like I ignored the Dragon Age: Inquisition MP.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't KojiPro LA (now Konami LA Studios) the main team behind Metal Gear Online? I'm more confident in MGO getting post-release support than the actual main game since Kojima Productions will likely have disbanded right after Phantom Pain. Either way, I have no interest in the multiplayer so I couldn't care less what happens to it.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaFt

I've been thinking about this too ever since the news about the Kojima/Konami fallout. It is strange that they havent shown anything else since the initial trailer. But i do think that they will keep it going after launch.

It was handled by Kojima Productions Los Angeles. They were renamed Konami Los Angeles after the Konami/Kojima break. So they will probably handle the updates/dlc for MGO3 and maybe even future Metal Gear games?

I mean they did like three or four map packs for MGO2 so i do hope that they will release more maps for three and that it's not as broken as two was.

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: Oh is that right? So the core team behind MGO here is just getting a name change and not jumping ship? That's a bit of good news.

The thing I'm scared of is how Konami will handle it now under a new direction. Maybe the plan was tons of free maps/DLC/outfits, etc but will not be price tagged instead?

I know most replies here are "LOLMGOWHOCARES?" but the reason I made the thread is... I care.

Metal Gear Online that came with MGS4 is one of the most unique and hands down fun experiences I've had with gaming. The sequel to that has/had me foaming at the mouth for more.

Team Sneak is pure genius. The maps were all VERY well made.(Some of the best in any shooter) Great customization. Skill based gameplay...now with Esports being bigger should garner a huge attraction on the twitch.tv side of things.

Last but not least it had one of the smartest ideas ever in a console shooter which I wish others would steal which was the weekend tournament mode. Every weekend a tournament set of lobbies opens up for a set time. You could gather your team of pre made buddies, or go in with randoms. The game type is randomly selected, and you have to bring your AAA game to win. If you kept winning then you were in the running for first place over EVERYONE playing out of hundreds/thousands of players. The first place team would get an in game item for their character to wear that no one else would get. If you saw it you knew that person was serious business.

I just hope they can recreate that same magic.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I honestly keep forgetting this mode even exists, which is probably a good thing. If this turns out to be great then it'll be a nice add on to the wacky and insane world of Metal Gear Solid. And if it turns out to be disappointing then it will still be the mode I wasn't that interested in in the first place.

Hopefully the popularity of Metal Gear keeps this mode at least somewhat active for awhile and not like Evolve where the serves became ghost towns in about a month.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By probablytuna

@zlatko: I didn't mean to say that MGO should be shut down or insult anyone who is interested in the multiplayer in MGSV, so I apologise if my comment sounded as such. In the end, no one really knows what's happening with MGO except Konami itself. When the press got invited to play MGSV recently I actually thought it was for MGO and not Phantom Pain so I was also surprised they never talked more about the multiplayer after that trailer a few months back.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say no, nobody else is worried about the lack of Metal Gear Online news.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ThunderSlash

I really liked MGO in MGS4. Running around and using the box to duck shots was hilarious. They somehow got all the relevant single player mechanics to work in an online setting. I hope they have dedicated servers this time, as there was a serious case of host-advantage in some spots in the last one. The mode in which there are 2 teams of opposing soldiers with a 3rd team composing of Snake and Otacon trying to obtain dog tags was great fun. Nothing like finding a way to hold up everyone while they are preoccupied by a firefight. I hope that mode comes back.

Also, I liked trying to get everyone in the lobby to sing that victory song. SOP4Lyfe!

But yeah, I hope that they give it some post release support at least.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The less they show off the better. That means these guys are actually hard at work on it. It's when they show off a ton of gameplay that we should be worried. So many multiplayer trailers going "LOOK HOW FUCKING EPIC THIS IS! GUNS IN A MULTIPLAYER GAME!? REVOLUTION!" and it comes out broken as shit.

Maybe I'm just cynical in that regard, but I'm feeling it with this new team. They seem like they know what's up.

Also they've gone on to say that they will be supporting this game long after December when Kojima and his team leaves. We won't know if that's true or not until the time comes, but the fact that they said it on their own volition gives me faith.

I mean Konami is going to get all the money they possibly can off of multiplayer expansions and microtransactions.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I absolutely loved MGO for ps3 so I hope the new MGO has been progressing well in its development. I follow the studio on twitter and get their "updates" which are not updates of any kind... More of a "yea, we're still working on it, but we're not sharing anything a this time."

I was a lil worried when they showed that first bit of footage cause it looked like they were taking a class based approach, and I personally have 0 interest in class based shooters nowadays. But, MGO was special. Had a lot of personality and unique modes that were a ton of fun (Team Sneak is amazing) So I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and just wait and see.

@zlatko: The weekend tournies were SO much fun. I was a part of Exiled Ops (which was one of the top15 clans, that later got absorbed into Recon Unit, which was top6) and we spent so much time practicing and hanging out in that awesome lobby system where we would just run around freely discussing strats and stuff. Unfortunately, it became unfun when the cheaters really got rampant and would just dominate every match. Killed any desire I had to participate in those tournies, and then shortly after just stopped playing entirely.

So I hope MGS5's MGO can rekindle those experiences. I really do.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, seeing how Konami treated MGO (in 3) and MGO (in 4), I'm not hopeful that MGO (in 5) will turn out any different, especially with the position they're in now.

(Jesus, I know it's just a pack-in, maybe even just a name for a game mode, but is this the first time someone released three games of the same name?)

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zlatko: I didn't mean to say that MGO should be shut down or insult anyone who is interested in the multiplayer in MGSV, so I apologise if my comment sounded as such. In the end, no one really knows what's happening with MGO except Konami itself. When the press got invited to play MGSV recently I actually thought it was for MGO and not Phantom Pain so I was also surprised they never talked more about the multiplayer after that trailer a few months back.

That's exactly why I made this thread is that event. The Twitter for the MGO guys even said that event was when they were going to shed things on it, let people play it, and then the embargo was to be lifted ages ago.

Did no one in the press write a thing? Did they not let them play MGO at that event even though it was planned? Or did no one who came to the event even spend time with MGO when it was available and instead stay in SP the whole time?

Blah. I just want a little more hype juice. Show me more character customization, talk about some modes, maps at launch, mechanics, etc.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not really worried because I know, for me, that mode definitely isn't the draw. That one trailer looked rad, and if it's good, then that'd be great. But...Eh, I dunno.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if the studio closed, i don't see them releasing an online game that would require server maintenance and constant balancing/updates. (Unless it's another studio doing that I honestly don't know). I'm just glad 5 will be released, and hopefully it gets back to it's roots and leaves grounds zeroes on a dark island by itself.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kasaioni

I don't give a shit about MGO. I just want MGSV to come out on time.

They keep tweeting that they'll release more info sometime, and a few tidbits about gadgets in the game, but that's it. They always mentioned how teamwork was going to a be a huge thing in MGO3, but MGO2 was only about how fast you could get a headshot. RIP Kojima Productions L.A.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Oh right. There's probably just gonna be a skeleton team doing bug fixes for 2 months then the studio will shut down proper.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mirado

I don't need MGO to be amazing for me to be blown away by the MGS5 experience, but I would like it to be. One would hope that a popular multiplayer component (with plenty of room for monetization, naturally) would lead to extended support for the game overall, but with Konami slamming the "Fuck All Video Games!" button, I somehow doubt that even a player-packed, money making MGO would cause them to support the game long term.

TomRoberts94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well im with you, im preparing for the worst, I dont think there will be any post launch support and we will be lucky if MGO actually functions how it was envisioned.
    However im hoping that I am completely wrong and its an unbelievable experience which is loviningly supported years after release.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

Biggest issue is going to be the fact that team that worked on it will be gone shortly after Phantom pain release so it kinda of fucked. Even if get another team to work on it the new team is going to have to get used to game did not develop. Best case scenario is that online not too broken during release and is fun for first couple of weeks.

Most people hope that Konami will care because of micro transaction that online might have. But Konami have made it clear that there not interested in small gains of Profit and are only after bigger profit margins in gambling and health clubs. Sad times indeed but I would not be surprised if Konami left MGO to die a slow buggy death.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruckus: Also, the microtransactions are specifically for single player from what has been officially said about it so far.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just planning on ignoring it like most latched on multiplayer components.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can imagine it being full of microtransactions myself. I'm annoyed enough that there are all these gun and skin bonuses in the DLC.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all comes down to what happens to KojiPro LA really. Either they become part of Konami, or leave together with the rest of the team in Japan. I am betting on the latter, if only because Konami does not seem like a company that would bother putting the resources towards maintaining something like MGO anymore.

Shame, seeing as the trailer was interesting, but I'll live.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not at all interested in Metal Gear Online, to the point I forgot it was a thing until this thread.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really had fun with MGO before it had been shut down after the MGS4 Trophy Patch. I enjoyed it, and I don't usually play much multiplayer to begin with. But, with that said...it was a fucking nightmare to even get through the door. The loopholes you needed to jump through just to be able to play the thing, having to have two or three different usernames and passwords or something seemed to push most people who didn't love MGS away, and probably still pushed away enough of the ones that did.

It really can't be much worse than how they handled that one. I think I'm confident enough in the controls, and liked the modes and structure we had in the previous MGO, that I expect it to be atleast a little fun. Enough to play around with for a while, even if I wind up dropping. But, as long as they don't have the strange loopholes they had in the previous one at the beginning, it should be a better experience.

Though, let's not get it twisted. The single player is where the juice is. Much like MGS4, MGO there felt like a really cool and fun multiplayer that didn't affect or change anything about where all my attention really was, which was the single player. I'm expecting the same here.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero shits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.