Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

4a Developed this new engine...

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By matthew

4a Engine

The 4a Engine is the graphics engine made by 4a Games. It has:
    •  Approximate global illumination with local occlusion
    • Deferred Supersampling 64x anti-aliasing
    • True Depth Of Field
    • Soft shadows
    • Tonemapping with Eye Adaptation
    • Soft particles
    • Geometry displacement mapping    

Those are the details pulled from the overview of the game on our site... 

I was wondering; it's a pretty beefy engine just by looking at this list.  I'm going to go on a limb here and say the 360 is physically incapable of making things look as good a PC can...So are they going to try to dumb down the engine for the 360 or maybe just use Unreal for the console version...Having to make 2 engines for 1 game, both variants of the same engine...it just seems a bit too much of a stretch for a developer to do... 

Please, let me know if I have it all wrong.  I'm simply genuinely curious as how a dev would go about this type of situation.  You have this awesome new engine to show off, but the way you would be able to make your money (via the 360) is the place where your engine wouldn't be able to show its true horsepower...
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Cirdain

WOOOWWWWWW

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's not new this stuff but it's enough to tell you that's it's got potential. Not entirely sure what's the difference between Depth of Field and True Depth of Field though. That's pretty new to me. Also, games always look better on PC. Providing that it's the right hardware anyway.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Ugh... I will need a new GPU fo'sho. The deferred 64x supersampling AA sounds magical. 

It's pretty obvious the graphics programmer from the XRay 3D engine is working on this one.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

Much of what keeps the 360 down (Same goes with the PS3) is it's lack of RAM. So, in other words, most of what they would have to hold back would likely be texture detail and possibly some shading. Most post-processing effects are done using, well, raw processing power which the 360 still has in spades considering it's age.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By Cirdain

added video
    EDIT: check the 4a games site then find the 4a engine section
    There are loads more other stuff

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.