Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Midnight Club: Los Angeles

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

Make a reputation for yourself by tearing through the streets of an authentically recreated version of LA in Midnight Club: Los Angeles.

Midnight Club Makes Membership Easier

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    I knew I should've made a left on LaBrea!
    I think there's a lot to like about Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It's a great-looking game with a nice sense of style, its abbreviated rendition of LA carries a certain dirty authenticity, the selection of licensed vehicles ranges from your unemployed cousin's beater to unobtainable supercars, and perhaps most miraculously, it manages to pack in the in-game advertising without seeming completely shameless. What ultimately ended up sabotaging the experience for me was that it doesn't provide enough guidance during a race, an issue that doesn't seem to phase your AI opponents.

As revealed in N'Gai Croal's recent interview with Rockstar's Jeronimo Barrera, a patch has been released for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Midnight Club: LA which tunes the game's difficulty by dynamically adjusting the AI's relative competence in navigating turns and intersections. This is great news for Midnight Club: LA, and it's a move that definitely inspires me to revisit Midnight Club: LA, though it's something the game could've used when it first launched. So many huge games have come out since, it'll now have to be content sitting at the bottom of a very large pile.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    I think there's a lot to like about Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It's a great-looking game with a nice sense of style, its abbreviated rendition of LA carries a certain dirty authenticity, the selection of licensed vehicles ranges from your unemployed cousin's beater to unobtainable supercars, and perhaps most miraculously, it manages to pack in the in-game advertising without seeming completely shameless. What ultimately ended up sabotaging the experience for me was that it doesn't provide enough guidance during a race, an issue that doesn't seem to phase your AI opponents.

As revealed in N'Gai Croal's recent interview with Rockstar's Jeronimo Barrera, a patch has been released for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Midnight Club: LA which tunes the game's difficulty by dynamically adjusting the AI's relative competence in navigating turns and intersections. This is great news for Midnight Club: LA, and it's a move that definitely inspires me to revisit Midnight Club: LA, though it's something the game could've used when it first launched. So many huge games have come out since, it'll now have to be content sitting at the bottom of a very large pile.
    Avatar image for galvanizednails
    GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GalvanizedNails

thank goodness, I was about to trade this thing in from utter frustration

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Manachild

if this makes a difference i may buy this game.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By WEGGLES

Patch... or "Title Update" ? :P

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By TaintedSun

Please post if you know whether or not this makes a big difference.

killawogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killawogg

i hear ya GalvanizedNails i was about to abandan this game too. its a shame cause its got some cool concepts... lets hope they fix this

UPDATE-  the races are better and the cars now make mistakes so far so good
    Avatar image for manicproblematic
    manicproblematic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By manicproblematic

well yes if this patch actually makes a significant difference to the gameplay difficulty then I may actually purchase this game come early new year... otherwise I'l just have to stick to grid for my driving game fix.. not that i've played grid in a while mind you!...

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Media_Master

but will it work?

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rio

This is fantastic, now I will actually pick up a copy.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By BigDo6

Man you would have hated MSR.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Nettacki

Are you saying that pre-patch, LA was harder than Midnight Club 2?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

I haven't played MC:LA yet but I have been interested in it. I just built a gaming PC so I'm trying to get all my worth out if it that I can to justify the price, so I haven't done enough 360 playing to check it out. After seeing how poorly GTA4 performs on PC, I don't think I'll wait for MC:LA (which uses the same engine) to hit that platform to check it out; especially with this news.

TheVilrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheVilrak

Although the game is quite unforgiving, I REALLY don't see why people thought it spoilt the game. 
    I like a challenge and would of found it boring if it was easy.

*edit* Although I can understand its frustrating if you need to blast through the game relatively quickly for a timley review reasons.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By GreggD

This is good news. I'm getting this game for Christmas, so it'll be nice that it won't be as hard as 2 (which is ridiculously difficult).

Criamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Criamond

I'm not sure how I feel about this. MC2 was incredibly difficult, but it was damn satisfying when I finally beat it, and that's probably the only racing game I've ever played that I actually finished everything. I bought LA as soon as it came out and have played a good bit of it, and overall thought the challenge level was on par with 2. I haven't put much time in it since Gow2 and L4D came out though. I'll have to pop this one in tonight and see how it holds up.

shoryuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shoryuking

damn this sucks, so i'm at 70% now, does that mean that the remaining 30% for me will be the easiest part of the game. This difficulty change should be optional.

theg3neral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theg3neral

Great news for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.