Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Whiskey Media's Minecraft Server: Part Deux!

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#401  Edited By Nodderly

@TEHMAXXORZ I'm sure a screenshot or transcription would help us all!

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#403  Edited By jasondesante

@Massif: haha omg what did Nodderly do?!? and he's going to make a subway to there!?!?!

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404  Edited By Nodderly

@Massif Well, I was asked to go the other way this time. Blame our server for having so much damn ocean!

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@Massif I love archipelagos!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#406  Edited By Brackynews

@Nodderly: @Massif: In my defence, I edited my comment very soon after posting it once I realised what it really meant... O_o In Nodd's defence, I blame the comment notification system for never sending anyone the edited text... >_< Sowwy. Insomnia.

The amount of ocean in this world seed seems a tad ridiculous. If there is any future thought toward migrating the settled landmasses and "cropping" the world back to the core chunks, I support it wholeheartedly. In the name of server load and map usability. And the fact I am crap at steering boats.

EDIT: I have not played around with world editors and chunk viewers since alpha Minecraft a year ago, but the ones I tried were surprisingly easy to use even back then, despite all the SMP bugs.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By Nodderly

@Brackynews Don't worry about it! My server, I can explore if I want to. :) All the ocean is starting to seem a little crazy. I don't know how difficult it would be to do as you describe, but I bet it isn't a picnic!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By Brackynews

Greetings MC Duders, if you are interested in helping to nominate the winner of the alpha code contest, please send me a PM. A few of the server "veterans" would be ideal.

Other details:

It could be fun to do it in-world on the weekend. Regardless of how, the contest will close Saturday evening, with the aim to notify the winner on Sunday. We will also get a mention in the weekly community giveaway thread, so that may spark some more entries. I really like the ones so far!

• I've asked Nodd and Capum to be the final judges based the favourites we nominate. Since they are the ones who need to award the chest-o-goodies.
    • I thought of an additional runner-up prize that would be really cool. (shhhhh!)
    • If anyone else has spare account codes (alpha or not) they would like to contribute, that would be awesome! Either to pad this contest with more winners or run another.
    Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410  Edited By Nodderly

@Massif Look on the bright side. If the whole damn world is water, there won't be much more exploring!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411  Edited By FunExplosions

notch  Markus Persson 
    lilpeteyjl Other people have done more, and demand less.
    notch  Markus Persson 
    All this said, I'm very tired at the moment, and this will probably pass. I do like the work they do, very much.
    notch  Markus Persson 
    Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.
    notch  Markus Persson 
    A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.
    notch  Markus Persson 
    And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks
    notch  Markus Persson 
    They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).
    notch  Markus Persson 
    Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.
    »
    notch  Markus Persson 
    Wow. Hate, insults and threats are flooding in from Yogscast fans. I'll stop biting my tongue now.

Notchdrama
    Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412  Edited By Nodderly

Oh man. That is some drama. It sounds like an awful lot of attitude to cop for some people who make little Internet videos, but stranger things have happened.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Nodderly: I stand by the bearded man in the hat.
    lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#414  Edited By lumley

Oh snap, drama indeed!

I'm on the bearded dwarves side.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By Nodderly

I guess I won't make up my mind until the Yogsfolk have released their "official statement." That's already hilarious, because what are you, Microsoft? No, you're a couple of dudes who make silly videos. No need to put on airs.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By Capum15

Aww, that sucks.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417  Edited By Lively

I didn't even know what "Yogscast" was until this controversy cropped up. That said, I get the sense that Minecon was very poorly planned and run, and almost every event from the opening keynote, to the panels, to the closing party were pretty much uncoordinated cluster-fucks.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By Nodderly

@Lively That is unfortunate to hear. I thought the idea of a Minecraft convention sounded odd. Events like that are terrifically difficult to plan even when you're not halfway around the globe from the event location, and I'm not sure Minecraft is the ideal game community for these sorts of gatherings anyway.

DaddyTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By DaddyTin

@Nodds: Did you fly or paddle?

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420  Edited By Nodderly

@DaddyTinman Flew! How crazy do you think I am? :)

DjTonySnark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421  Edited By DjTonySnark

Woah woah woah, is this all real? I've watched the Yog videos for a long time, and they have always seemed like nice guys. This is really disheartening.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By Nodderly

@Bunkerbuster05 I'm not sure that real is the right word. Some people were saying that Notch was acting oddly at Minecon, so who knows if this is all the result of an overtired, alcohol-soaked brain? Totalbiscuit has come to the defense of the Yogscast folks, but I kinda think that guy is a tool. It may be the case that everyone is equally wrong here.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By MiniPato

@Nodderly said:

I guess I won't make up my mind until the Yogsfolk have released their "official statement." That's already hilarious, because what are you, Microsoft? No, you're a couple of dudes who make silly videos. No need to put on airs.

Well at least they're trying to be professional and aren't taking it to twitter in a blind rage. Don't judge unless you know the accusations are true.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424  Edited By Brackynews

@Lively said:

I didn't even know what "Yogscast" was until this controversy cropped up.

Ditto. I took a break from the game and The Shaft mid-beta, but I would've thought I'd notice such a large sub-community.

Anyway, egos are not even the worst controversy, just the most public. There were some rough take-the-money-and-run (whooooa) situations early on.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By Nodderly

@MiniPato I believe that was precisely my stated intent?

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By lumley

All I know is that (from watching the Yogscast video's for a majority of 2011) the Yogscast fellows are seem like down to earth guys and also I'm British myself so I'm naturally going to stick up for those guys!

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427  Edited By MiniPato

@Nodderly said:

@MiniPato I believe that was precisely my stated intent?

You just seemed overly negative on the guys is all.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By Nodderly

@MiniPato No need to be quite so defensive. I was having a little fun with the idea of waiting for an "official statement" from these dudes. Let's maintain perspective. "Statements" are things I expect to be issued by heads of state and PR departments for large corporations. These gentlemen, in contrast, are Internet mini-famous for making squealing sounds at square cows. The idea of them sitting in a situation room, surrounded by banks of monitors, sweat beading on their foreheads as they face down this Internet Cuban Missile Crisis, is ludicrous.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By FunExplosions

My expert opinion is that Notch seems like he would probably take things the wrong way really easily. He seems real impressionable. Maybe he had some drinks in him and didn't realize it was affecting him so greatly, or maybe his time in the spotlight at Minecon effectively made him drunk for the whole week. My other expert opinion is that the Yogs guys were probably joking. My other opinion is that I don't really care either way.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By MiniPato

@Nodderly:

Statements are nouns that can be freely used by anyone, not just Microsoft and the US Government. Yogscast is more than one person, they have people helping maintain their website and edit and upload videos. They are an organization of people who have roles. They make money off of the content they produce. I think they qualify to make official statements. that is, a statement that represents the Yogscast as a whole and not just one person on twitter. Whatever effort they put into their work or relevance they have in the world does not matter.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431  Edited By lumley

@FunExplosions: All I can say is that I bet Notch took British humour the wrong way - which I have seen plastered across a few message boards about this issue!

The yogs-folk seem like pretty decent guys from my point of view and I consider myself a good sense of character.

In other news, oh snap it's totally 5am.. I think I should probably get some sleep :\

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By Nodderly

@MiniPato Clearly we have very different senses of humor. Consider it a miscommunication and move on,

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By Lively

@Lumley: I'll bet Notch doesn't like the Ricky Gervais version of "The Office" :)

@Nodderly: *I* thought your post was funny.

/teacher's pet

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#434  Edited By jasondesante

basically Notch unwillingly gave some english people a million youtube subscribers, boated their egos, and then they started F bombing kids and called the guy that gave them fame a nerd who didn't know how to run a company.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435  Edited By benpicko

Oh god. Even this has turned into Yogscast vs Notch.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By Lively

That's Notch's side of the story, anyway. I know some British people that put on a very exaggerated, cock-sure facade, but it's almost like a form of self-deprecation the way they do it. If you take what they're saying at face value of course it sounds bad.

Based on a lot of other things I've heard from Minecon, I suspect Notch was at the end of his neves and lost his temper over this.

Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437  Edited By Nodderly

@Lively I'm funny, am I? Someone just earned himself a gold star! :)

DaddyTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439  Edited By DaddyTin

@Lively: I doubt if cock-sure is a noun NOT commonly used by anyone, neither Microsoft or the U.S. Gov't! Surely, I myself am not so cock-sure about how cock-sure anyone could be using the word cock-sure!

Anviltongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440  Edited By Anviltongue

I decide to drop in and visit the server, and it is offline... I see how it is. *scornful glare*

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By Capum15
    @Anviltongue: Does it say "Cannot reach server" in the multiplayer list? Did it have a weird error the first time you tried to join? That happened to me last night, twice. For some reason clicking Single Player and then going back to Multiplayer worked.

I just tested the server, and it's up. I didn't get the error this time.
    lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By lumley
    Nodderly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443  Edited By Nodderly

@Anviltongue There is a rogue error in 1.0 that throws an error when you try to join sometimes. It usually works when I try it again. As far as I know, we've had no downtime since the update. @Lumley Sounds about like what I had expected. Their response is classy. I hope this marks the end of the Category 5 Tornerdo. I don't know why my line breaks aren't working.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Lumley: Notch reminds me of a friend I had a long time ago. He seems really, really kind-hearted, but really easily offended, as well. He isn't "hard", as tha gangstas would say.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By Capum15

Guys...go to 12 minutes in if you want to see utter amazing-ness.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#446  Edited By Marnox

I find it strange that people would rather believe a second party making videos (and making money?) about a game, rather than the creator of such game. Very weird. I mean, you would never treat leeches that live of your blood nice, would you?

I guess when you get "big" people instantly act like you are the bad wolf when you try to protect what is yours. For better or for worse. Notch could have acted better, but he acted with his emotions. Which I salute, we get enough polite politician-y

chitchat as it is these days. My hat off to him because he was not afraid to say what he actually feels. I don't see the issue with selling streaming rights to IGN either.

Minecraft is THEIR game. Anything around THEIR game is theirs to do with as they please. Get over it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447  Edited By MiniPato

@Marnox said:

I find it strange that people would rather believe a second party making videos (and making money?) about a game, rather than the creator of such game. Very weird. I mean, you would never treat leeches that live of your blood nice, would you?

I guess when you get "big" people instantly act like you are the bad wolf when you try to protect what is yours. For better or for worse. Notch could have acted better, but he acted with his emotions. Which I salute, we get enough polite politician-y

chitchat as it is these days. My hat off to him because he was not afraid to say what he actually feels. I don't see the issue with selling streaming rights to IGN either.

Minecraft is THEIR game. Anything around THEIR game is theirs to do with as they please. Get over it.

When you've made millions of dollars seemingly overnight, you wouldn't mind the leeches. And they technically aren't leeches cause they aren't taking any money away from Mojang. If anything they probably give back to Mojang. I bought minecraft because of the Yogscast videos. Hell, they even went to gamescom on behalf of Mojang to promote minecraft on the Sony Experia Play. Perhaps Giant Bomb is a giant leech leeching off of countless game developers?

The reason people believe the Yogscast more is precisely because of the reason you say you like Notch's response. It is purely emotionally fueled, so it's hard to gauge if his accusations are true or if it's just something clouded by impassioned emotion. His anger would be more widely accepted if there was proof of such behavior on their part. While the Yogscast made accusations against Mojang as well, they did not defame Notch's or Mojang's character. They refuted baseless accusations of an apparently tired and stressed man on twitter and acted professionally. Funny thing about emotions is that sometimes they make you say things you may not mean and say things that you don't know are true. He could very well have heard rumors and took them to be true and used those rumors against them without proof in his tired and emotional state. Being honest and acting with emotions are two very different things. Emotions often cloud judgement and thought. I'd much rather salute someone who thinks before they speak than someone who just mouths off without thinking.

I don't see how Notch was trying to "protect" anything. Maybe he wanted to protect Mojang's reputation by distancing himself from the Yogscast. If that's the case, is the defamation of character really necessary? Just say "we do not endorse their actions and they are not representative of Mojang." When you react without that "polite politician-y" mindset, as you so put it, you get a big mess like this with insults and accusations being lobbed at both sides from people who don't know anything about the matter. So I hope you understand why it's better to be diplomatic than not.

And them selling rights to the live steam of a Yogscast panel without even speaking with the Yogscast about it is pretty bad. The Giant Bomb PAX panel was strictly not live streamed because the GB guys thought it wouldn't be fair to the attendees. Do you think it would be fair for the Penny Arcade guys to sell rights to live stream the GB panel without their permission?

Minecraft is their game, but Yogscast videos are not Mojang's content to own. Microsoft does not own the Halo quick look. They can ask for it to be taken down, but they can't use it as promotion or sell it without permission.

Notch's emotionally charged, factually lacking tweets caused a huge (perhaps temporary) backlash against the yogscast, whatever negative criticism Notch receives in return, he has only done to himself. I don't hate Notch, I have always maintained a neutral stance on him cause he seems real nice. If he can counter the Yogscast statement by providing proof and more concrete evidence of their actions, then I certainly would side with him. But he went out on the attack and was met with a good defense and it doesn't make him look good.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#448  Edited By Marnox

@MiniPato: How can you say Notch's tweet were "factually lacking". He was there, it was his experience or he is a liar. I find it odd that he will conjure this up from his hat. Tired or not. We Norwegians have plenty of jokes about how stupid Swedes are, but this stupid? There has to be some truth in what he said.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By MiniPato

@Marnox said:

@MiniPato: How can you say Notch's tweet were "factually lacking". He was there, it was his experience or he is a liar. I find it odd that he will conjure this up from his hat. Tired or not. We Norwegians have plenty of jokes about how stupid Swedes are, but this stupid? There has to be some truth in what he said.

Just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true, rich or not. They were factually lacking because he provided no evidence. And the fact that he's been really evasive about responding to the reddit post shows that he may have overreacted and may have been relaying rumors instead of first hand experience of their actions. Did he say he saw it with his own eyes, no he just said that they did it. He never said he knew they did these things because he saw it with his own eyes. Was it something he SAW happen? Or was it something he HEARD happen? Maybe there is some truth to what he said, but you can't say it is one hundred percent accurate and true.

Same thing can be said for the Yogscast. But the fact that Notch hasn't refuted any of their specifically defined points leads me to believe that he is acknowledging their truthfulness. At the very least the IGN thing can be tracked to IGN and proven.

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread, we can continue it in the other one if we have to.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By Subjugation

Eh, I still like the Yogscast at the end of the day. They always seem like such chill guys. I'm sure Notch will calm down once someone sends him another hat.

Also

@Nodderly said:

Tornerdo.

I fully endorse the future, mainstream acceptance, and widespread usage of this term.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.