Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Did you find the overt Patriotism annoying?

• 131 results
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By VWGTI

I like Patriotism.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By tebbit
    @Infininja: Aww... 

@HandsomeDead: This is true. 

@VWGTI: I do too. It's fun! Like a firecracker. But it also has the ability to irritate and / or harm if taking in the wrong orifice. Also like a firecracker. Or a train.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Jeffsekai

It got really annoying at times.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Brendan
    @Weltal said:
    "Uh, it's the army. They're fighting for their country and risking their lives so of course it's a fucking patriotic show case, I'd expect nothing less. Otherwise what's the dialog? "Let's get those other sensible people! They have opposing view points and I respect that!" "

You forgot the last part of that quote, "...chaaaaarge!"
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By MachoFantastico

Bought this issue up myself, makes me a little sick actually.  

Every quote seems to be about how great America is, poor country is a little disillusioned. 

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By VWGTI
    @Tebbit: 

That analogy can be applied to amost anything. Like criticizing America and it's military. ;)
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By tebbit
    @VWGTI: That's not a bad idea.... and seeing as I can't properly depict a light bulb appearing above my head, i'll have to leave it at that.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

If you don't like American patriotism then don't fucking play a video game made in America about the American military.

jaxxduece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jaxxduece
    @get2sammyb said:
    " As a Brit, absolutely. I'm just thankful the game isn't solely "America, Fuck Yeah!" like so many of these things are. Thank goodness for Price and MacTavish. "
    Two of the best characters in an FPS since the inception of Master Chief.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Griddler

It didn't bother me that much in MW2, only when they would say 'HOOAH'. It's hard to complain when the heroes are British though.

Most US military movies really annoy me though.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Venatio

I didnt really notice that so no

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By tebbit
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " If you don't like American patriotism then don't fucking play a video game made in America about the American military. "
    If you don't like my question then don't fucking answer it! See how hard it is to not do that? 
    Besides, it's not that I don't like American patriotism, it's more that I don't like dumb hicks that cheer themselves to victory. There IS a distinction!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Scooper
    @get2sammyb said:
    " As a Brit, absolutely. I'm just thankful the game isn't solely "America, Fuck Yeah!" like so many of these things are. Thank goodness for Price and MacTavish. "
    This is pretty much what I felt.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#64  Edited By ImperiousRix

Wasn't getting any overt patriotism.  In fact, the way the game pans out, it's almost ANTI-patriotic in a way.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By VWGTI
    @ImperiousRix said:
    "

Wasn't getting any overt patriotism.  In fact, the way the game pans out, it's almost ANTI-patriotic in a way.

"
    I got the same vibe as well.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By guiseppe

I like it because it's over the top. Whether or not that's intentional, I don't know, but I find it funny either way.

JohnnyMcmillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JohnnyMcmillen

The opening scene with Shepard talking over it made me realise how badly written the campaign was.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Chokobo

Didn't catch any of the overt patriotism.

Also: OP is clearly euro.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By meteora

I didn't even notice anything overtly patriotic. I was too busy having fun to bother with those details.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    @Tebbit said:
    " What really got me was that part near the beginning, during one of the loading screens, where Shepherd was going on about how every fight was America's fight, and it made me remember how your military continuously pokes its nose where it doesn't belong.  EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love the U.S. for other things, like Jazz and McDonalds, just not for your military. "
    I think that the meaning was completely different. 
    The US, beign the potency that it is (or was) the phrase has a full different meaning. 
    Its not "poking" at every war, it is because every war has a "loot" that they want, and considering the changes throught the game, you can get it. 
    Its a way criticizing the "american goverment" politics, of trying to control everything. 
    I think that the CoD's from IW dont have much patriotism. They rather have reality, and they show you what it feels to be a soldier for different sides and stuff. In fact, how can you say "patriotism" when one mission pitchs you as an american killing civilians?
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By samcotts

Didn't bother me at all. If the American army in MW2 love their country a little too much, so be it. Actually, I think it worked pretty well, seeing as America was being fucked over for practically the entire game.

Sh0velMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sh0velMan
    @twillfast said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:
    " It's not as bad as war films (Saving Private Ryan, opens with an American flag. Tears and sad memories, you'd think that America was the only country fighting in WWII, which they joined 3 years after it started)  So I think Call of Duty is a known quantity "
    That movie follows American troops, and the opening scene takes place at Arlington National Cemetery in DC. Of course there's gonna be an American flag. "
    I don't know where you get Arlington from. It's actually the American cemetery in Colleville-sur-mer, Normandy. It's basically just up the hill from Omaha beach. The point is, there's barely any indication that there were Brits, Irish and French soldiers on those beaches too. A bit OT, but I just wanted to point that out. I have no comments on the game. "

THE MOVIE IS ABOUT A DUDE NAMED PRIVATE RYAN, WHO NEEDS SAVING. 

This dude happens to be an American. 

Hence, it's a movie about American soldiers. 

Made by American filmmakers. 

For America. 

You're welcome (europe) for fixing your mess. 
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By warxsnake
    @get2sammyb said:

As a Brit, aren't you happy it's always the brits in the MW series (1 and 2) who get shit done. The American forces in these games (whether it's marines, rangers, seals) always seem to be surviving something dire or trying to fix something they just fucked up, while the brits/SAS go on the offense and get stuff done. 
    As an American/Canadian - and obviously Call of Duty should be in no way a reference point for RL - but it did make me proud to have the UK as allies in both the game and the real world, while playing. <3 the UK. In the end it's always nations working together that get stuff done, joint strike forces and such.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By get2sammyb
    @warxsnake: I hadn't really thought of it like that to be honest.

I wouldn't mind if the UK was going blown the shit up, it's just nice to know the rest of the world can be acknowledged. It's my favourite thing about the Call Of Duty franchise. So often these type of games/movies/anything really are heavily focused on the US, which makes sense if they're made in the US and being sold to a US audience, but it's just nice to see something different.

I also thought it was really cool when Resistance: Fall Of Man was set in all these shitty UK locations that no one outside of the country would ever know about.

I'm not saying "Heck all games should be about Brits," of course not -- just the ones that adopt the rest of the world entirely (like the CoD franchise) feel so refreshing.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mordukai
    @Sh0velMan said:
    " @twillfast said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:
    " It's not as bad as war films (Saving Private Ryan, opens with an American flag. Tears and sad memories, you'd think that America was the only country fighting in WWII, which they joined 3 years after it started)  So I think Call of Duty is a known quantity "
    That movie follows American troops, and the opening scene takes place at Arlington National Cemetery in DC. Of course there's gonna be an American flag. "
    I don't know where you get Arlington from. It's actually the American cemetery in Colleville-sur-mer, Normandy. It's basically just up the hill from Omaha beach. The point is, there's barely any indication that there were Brits, Irish and French soldiers on those beaches too. A bit OT, but I just wanted to point that out. I have no comments on the game. "
      THE MOVIE IS ABOUT A DUDE NAMED PRIVATE RYAN, WHO NEEDS SAVING.  This dude happens to be an American.  Hence, it's a movie about American soldiers.  Made by American filmmakers.  For America.  You're welcome (europe) for fixing your mess.  "
    Yes, because the US does not have any sort of military messes whatsoever, right? Not to mention that it took the US 2 years to even acknowledge there was a war and it took Pearl Harbor for that to happen. The US got extremely lucky when the Japanese HQ made the biggest mistake any army can do in a war and that was to hold off. If they would have continued to push forward then the US military would have not stood a chance against them at that time.  

As far as Europe is concerned then the war was basically done when Hitler decided to invade Russia and the german army's high brass knew it too. It was juts a matter of time before the nazis would have been over-run.  It wasn't much of the US fixing europe but more like the US moping up after the nazis. WWII from the US point of view was more about the war in the Pacific then the war in Europe. 
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By meteora
    @get2sammyb: Yes. And while we're at it, we need more Canadian/Aussies in war games. >_<
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77  Edited By Evilsbane

I don't always agree with it and its not perfect and I don't like the path were on right now but I love my country and the fact that we have people who are willing to die to just live here speaks volumes.

So AMERICA FUCK YEA!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Meteora: Totally, I absolutely agree. Let's see more of the world in games in general. After all, we all play games to "escape" and experience different things. It would nice to be taken on a journey in our own world and see the sights that, many probably haven't seen. There's plenty of things that could be done outside the US, that I think people would still appreciate.
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Dude... I'm wondering if some of you even played the same game as me... 

Both this game and COD4 seem borderline anti-war.  Sure, you spend most of the time shooting dudes up and saving the free world and all that, but both of them are totally cynical and seem mostly designed to point out how stupid actual war is.  Like in both games, despite how many dudes you tear up, your character is always in a worse position than when you started.  Saying this game is patriotic is like saying the movie Borat was anti-semitic.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By Griddler
    @Sh0velMan: You're welcome (US) for us for founding your 'effing country.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Atomic_Tangerine said:
    " Dude... I'm wondering if some of you even played the same game as me...  Both this game and COD4 seem borderline anti-war.  Sure, you spend most of the time shooting dudes up and saving the free world and all that, but both of them are totally cynical and seem mostly designed to point out how stupid actual war is.  Like in both games, despite how many dudes you tear up, your character is always in a worse position than when you started.  Saying this game is patriotic is like saying the movie Borat was anti-semitic. "
    You're absolutely right.

I think people are more referring to the whole: "Let's do this boys! Fuck.... 'Ooorah. Hell yeahh. Wooohooo!" stuff at the beginning. Which is infinitely grating whichever game it pops up in.

It's worst in Killzone 2. Urgh.
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@get2sammyb said:
    "As a Brit, absolutely. I'm just thankful the game isn't solely "America, Fuck Yeah!" like so many of these things are. Thank goodness for Price and MacTavish. "

Agreed
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By eclipsesis
    @Tebbit said:

" What really got me was that part near the beginning, during one of the loading screens, where Shepherd was going on about how every fight was America's fight, and it made me remember how your military continuously pokes its nose where it doesn't belong.  EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love the U.S. for other things, like Jazz and McDonalds, just not for your military.  

I'm from Britain and i didn't really get that from the opening cut scene, i just thought it was including the entire western world military force not just the US's, also lets face it the SAS and Team 141 do all the hard work and they are from the UK 
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By belaraphon

i like taking the fight back to the US. it just feels closer to home.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jimbo

Uh, did you not play the rest of the game?

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Adamantium

Nope. Maybe it's because the most "patriotic" characters in the game are the big bad genocidal American General and the Ultranationalist Hero Zakhaev. The rest of the crew seems to actually be fighting for peace and stability in the world above any one government's goals or ideals.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By eclipsesis
    @Sh0velMan said:
    " @twillfast said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:

THE MOVIE IS ABOUT A DUDE NAMED PRIVATE RYAN, WHO NEEDS SAVING.  This dude happens to be an American.  Hence, it's a movie about American soldiers.  Made by American filmmakers.  For America.  You're welcome (europe) for fixing your mess.   

You clearly know shit about WW2 and its events, including what the US did within that war. And you have no idea what the European isles were going through for four (close to five) decades before the end of WW2 so don't even try to compare 4 years of US involvement, too 49 years of European crisis, depression, conflict and tension. You simply have no right too. My great grand father didn't die in France just so the stupid ignorant fuckers can call it an "American Victory" when it was clearly a team effort on all fronts. I won't however deny that the US had a large part to play at ending the war, but look at the drastic measures they had to take, the worlds only nuclear attack, the very thing that they live in fear of today. But once again it was Allied forces that held Axis forces at a stalemate to make that attack possible. 
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Adamantium

Oh yeah because America is the only country that lives in fear of nuclear attack these days. *huge f*cking sarcastic eyeroll*

In four years America figured out a way to neatly wrap up that 50 years of conflict and tension. We all figure out how to live together, or we all blow ourselves the f*ck up. I wouldn't say it wasn't a team effort, but credit where credit is due. It was the Manhattan Project, not the Paris Project or the London Project. And thank God it wasn't the Berlin Project.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By eclipsesis
    @Adamantium said:

" Oh yeah because America is the only country that lives in fear of nuclear attack these days. *huge f*cking sarcastic eyeroll*  In four years America figured out a way to neatly wrap up that 50 years of conflict and tension. We all figure out how to live together, or we all blow ourselves the f*ck up. I wouldn't say it wasn't a team effort, but credit where credit is due. It was the Manhattan Project, not the Paris Project or the London Project. And thank God it wasn't the Berlin Project. "

I think if you research the development of the Nuclear weapon you will find that their was a LOT of British and European scientists involved

The Book of Knowledge: Volume 1. Edited By Gordon Stowell

" In the early years of the second World War  the British Government decided to push ahead with the proposals put forward by a number of scientists for using explosive chain reaction in Urainium-235 to produce an atomic bomb. They did not know however how far German scientists had got along the same lines.

.......By the summer 1941 British Scientist knew enough to believe that an atomic bomb was a possibility within a few years. In October (before the United States was at war, president Roosevelt suggested joint research between British and American scientists and from February 1942 these worked together in up-most secrecy." (known as Manhattan project)

Manhattan project my arse the development of of atomic weapons started long before that. I will tell you now, Modern war is one of my passions i have a small library dedicated to it, so i would like to think that their is not many things i don't know about WW2. Also my opinions aren't bias, they are truthful and come from a lot time which i have dedicated to the research of Modern war, so please don't patronise me with outrageous claims      

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#90  Edited By flaminghobo

Where's the 'indifferent' option? I didn't mind it too much.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By pause422

I found being oscar mike constantly the most annoying part of the game..but thats about it. Anything that sounded very patriotic in those missions, was cut down by the latter where America looked just as bad as Russia. I dont really think it was thrown in our faces too much.

Anyway, The just like Cod4, Gaz, and Price were the best characters, in this game its the same, with the inclusion of Ghost and Soap. Best characters to me anyway, I found every single American character, much like the first almost entirely forgettable. Besides Keith David, of course. The quotes as well are not patriotic in any possible way. Very anti, and very revenge/vengeance based by a lot. The MW games specifically seem way more anti war and patriotic than any of the WW2 cod games.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I find it hilarious when people take credit for something their countries did before they were even born.

Modern Warfare 2 felt very ant-patriotic to me, which is one of the things I like about it. Especially the quotes that come up when you die.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Not american and I wasn't offended. On the contrary I think the game tries to carry the message that nations really IS the measles of mankind and that we should get rid of it already.  

Except the whole hooah-part in the beginning though. Also, notice how you carry a SCAR (or maybe it was a M4) of the same model when you're shooting civilians as when you're shooting terrorists. I find that to be a little subtle nudge.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By withateethuh

As an American used to obnoxious unwarranted patriotism, I have no idea what you guys are talking about with overt patriotism. The main antagonist was a freaking U.S. general, and his motivations included exploiting US patriotism to create a stronger US military. And he was defeated by British S.A.S.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#95  Edited By Alphazero
    @get2sammyb said:
    I really liked those two. I'm a sucker for a good stealth sequence. "Nice kill," in the accent makes it even better somehow.

Americans don't always agree with their cousins across the pond, but, hey, they're family.
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Pinkshley1

If you don't want to see american patriotism, dont play a game including the US army. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#97  Edited By Suicrat

I want to know why the U.S., on one hand gets criticized for entering World War 2 late, and on the other hand, gets criticized for intervening in conflicts in the first place? Would you rather the U.S. take Chamberlain's approach, and let the Nazis take over all of continental Europe? That's right, British people don't like to acknowledge the fact that they're the cause of World War 2. If they would have refused to appease Hitler, he wouldn't have had the courage to try and keep expanding. When the world's largest Navy gives you carte blanche on an entire continent, and you're an evil, expansionistic prick, you're going to take it.

I don't think it takes a genius to realize that the U.S. has no reason to continue fighting in Afghanistan or defending Iraq, but that is not the same as saying "the U.S. sticks its nose everywhere it doesn't belong." I guarantee you that the South Koreans are glad they did, and the Taiwanese nationalists wish they did. This is to say nothing of all the former eastern bloc countries who are dying to join NATO.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By 6n00bkilla9
    @Delta_Ass: lol
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Adamantium
    @eclipsesis said:
    " @Adamantium said:

" Oh yeah because America is the only country that lives in fear of nuclear attack these days. *huge f*cking sarcastic eyeroll*  In four years America figured out a way to neatly wrap up that 50 years of conflict and tension. We all figure out how to live together, or we all blow ourselves the f*ck up. I wouldn't say it wasn't a team effort, but credit where credit is due. It was the Manhattan Project, not the Paris Project or the London Project. And thank God it wasn't the Berlin Project. "

I think if you research the development of the Nuclear weapon you will find that their was a LOT of British and European scientists involved

The Book of Knowledge: Volume 1. Edited By Gordon Stowell

" In the early years of the second World War  the British Government decided to push ahead with the proposals put forward by a number of scientists for using explosive chain reaction in Urainium-235 to produce an atomic bomb. They did not know however how far German scientists had got along the same lines.

.......By the summer 1941 British Scientist knew enough to believe that an atomic bomb was a possibility within a few years. In October (before the United States was at war, president Roosevelt suggested joint research between British and American scientists and from February 1942 these worked together in up-most secrecy." (known as Manhattan project)

Manhattan project my arse the development of of atomic weapons started long before that. I will tell you now, Modern war is one of my passions i have a small library dedicated to it, so i would like to think that their is not many things i don't know about WW2. Also my opinions aren't bias, they are truthful and come from a lot time which i have dedicated to the research of Modern war, so please don't patronise me with outrageous claims      

"
    I think if you actually read my whole post instead of cherrypicking you would realize that I already said it was a team effort. 

And yes, the development started much earlier, yet it was finally completed and implemented by America, with tests done in America that caused fallout and casualties to Americans. Don't bash on my country for using nukes, then turn around and give the rest of the world credit for the positive benefits of the use of said nukes in that particular instance. You may have a whole library dedicated to modern war, but if you can't see past your nose to debate an issue fairly, all the knowledge in the world does you zero good. And I made zero outrageous claims, your bias and immaturity show through your sad attempt at demonizing another nation.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By cstrang

Um...  I got the opposite vibe from this game.  I mean, most of the quotes when you die are about revenge, or how about patriotism is a bad thing. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.