Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Does the wiki really need a list of every weapon in the game?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

I applaud the person who put all of that into the wiki since it obviously took them a lot of time to deal with the wonky GB editor, but shouldn't all of that belong in a guide? We had this sort of problem with the GTA: San Andreas page (it had a massive list of every clothing option in the game and we decided to remove all of it because it was unnecessary). 

Also, it's unfortunate that the engineers apparently took out the ability to add polls to threads that are located in specific game forums.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

Of course.  How else would I be able to read all the weapons on a wiki page.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

We don't need pictures but rather a list.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By natetodamax
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " We don't need pictures but rather a list. "
    That's kinda how I feel, the pictures make the wiki unusually large.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @natetodamax said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " We don't need pictures but rather a list. "
    That's kinda how I feel, the pictures make the wiki unusually large. "
    Creates more time for the edit window to load.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Icil

I agree. All the pictures should go in a gun guide. 

I still think the wiki needs the list, though. Maybe some pictures in between (like any normal wiki-styled page).

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Aetos

I do agree, it does make the page larger than it needs to be. 
    I don't think every gun needs a picture, I mean who doesn't know what a m16 or AK-47 looks like. Fewer pictures would be better.

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danguy

For how long was it like this? This should be removed, it makes the page a lot longer than it needs to be, if you want to see more info and a picture on the gun just click on the link.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT
    @Icil said:
    " I agree. All the pictures should go in a gun guide.  I still think the wiki needs the list, though. Maybe some pictures in between (like any normal wiki-styled page). "
    Gun guide! That's a good idea. The just list eem in the wiki, no need for details. Chances are if you're a gun nut you know enough and if you're not, check out the gun guide.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

The person who did all that should put it into a guide, it's great work.  If it was a different multiplayer game with less weapons I'd say leave it, but because there are so many weapons and perks, I think a guide to separate it would be better. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Gonna bump this because I don't want to make the changes if people feel there is a reason it should stay.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By beargirl1

i actually think it looks very neat. i think it should stay-- but i don't know what should belong in a wiki anyway. 

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Turtlemayor333

My first time perusing the MW2 wiki and it looks awful. I'm not sure whether the blame should be site-side for not having some kind of contents section or on the users for everything else. Pictures are aligned every which way, lists and totally blank spaces stretching the page down to the ninth circle, and none of it seems to be ordered in a logical fashion. Fixing only the weapons would be putting a band aid on a broken neck.

I'm sounding pretty critical here, but do you really want to read all of that?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By natetodamax
    @Turtlemayor333: The wiki editor is really wonky and most of the blank spaces are probably caused by glitches in the system. Happens all the time and usually it can't be fixed unless some crazy re-arranging is done.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By immike
    @natetodamax: Well, I recently added all of the Bioshock 2 weapons and unlocks for a particular reason. People go there to read basic facts about the game. A guide would be more in depth describing the various nuances or which ones are better for particular reasons. The wiki has general info about how the guns are unlocked and what they are. If there are pictures for every single gun, that is over-doing it. 

P.S. I haven't looked at that page, but these are my thoughts on the matter. 

EDIT: I just looked at it and, wow, that is a really good looking list w/ pics. However, it certainly makes the page way too large. A simple list with the unlock data would be fine I think. Maybe try to contact whoever did it.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turtlemayor333
    @natetodamax: Yeah I'm totally aware of this as well. Actually I've tried to simply rearrange existing info to where it looks cleaner, but the page still ended up with a few kinks. And the site only awarded me one point, which was a bummer on top of a bummer. Pages like this one are pretty well done though, so perhaps there's just a trick to it.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By natetodamax
    @immike said:
    " @natetodamax: Well, I recently added all of the Bioshock 2 weapons and unlocks for a particular reason. People go there to read basic facts about the game. A guide would be more in depth describing the various nuances or which ones are better for particular reasons. The wiki has general info about how the guns are unlocked and what they are. If there are pictures for every single gun, that is over-doing it.  P.S. I haven't looked at that page, but these are my thoughts on the matter. "
    Well, I published my Bioshock 2 multiplayer guide some time ago with all of that info in it.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

I think it looks fine.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Makes the Wiki look extra long, and most of the pictures aren't of very good quality with some information cut off.
    The pictures I think should go the list it self can stay but no pictures.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By immike
    @natetodamax: That's great. If you posted various strategies included or things besides the basic info then you did a good job. The basic weapons, unlocks, etc is perfectly fine for a wiki. The main problem is still those pictures (on the MW2 page), but it's not really breaking the site or doing anything too drastic.  

I guess what I mean is that the wiki info is a lot easier to find directly on the page, whereas guides are a little off to the side and usually contain in depth information. It's all good.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chokobo

Yes.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX

I think that some guns should get their separate pages if they're commonly used in a lot of games or iconic (h1 pistol=iconic, p90=commonly used) just because they're so well known.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By jakob187

I think it's fine.  The point of a Wiki is to offer as much information as possible about a game, and frankly, that's more information than I even knew about the game at all.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

The length is absolutely an issue. If there was a multiple column type way to show the short lines full of gun info and accolades then it wouldn't be so bad.

I agree with dumping it into a gun guide, then making the guides much more focused instead of just being a generic link under the selection pane to the left that doesn't tell you if there even are any guides before you click it.

Or better yet the overview page itself should consist of a table of contents that you can click to uncollapse and show all the information like the folder pane in Windows Explorer or whatever. That way you can see the "Primary Weapons" title from the start (as well as Assault Rifles, Sub-Machine Guns, Sniper Rifles, etc... sub sections) except none of the contents would be shown until you click a plus sign to the left of one.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By fillmoejoe

Ugh, at least the entire page didn't get deleted like last time.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Yes! Remove th pics maybe, that could solve a bit of the bulk of the page.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions
    @natetodamax said:
    " Also, it's unfortunate that the engineers apparently took out the ability to add polls to threads that are located in specific game forums. "
    Yeah, I just figured I was too dumb to find the Poll button. Glad I was wrong. 

I think the page looks fantastic the way it is right now. There's a lot of people out there who jack off to this game, so having a complete-as-can-be MW2 page is great. I personally, can give a fuck about Modern Warfare 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.