Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

The supernatural kombatants of Mortal Kombat collide with the superheroes of the DC Universe in this crossover fighting game by Midway.

No DLC For Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
     Quan Chi, as not seen in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.
    You may remember that Midway had plans for downloadable content for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. At least two characters were planned for release at some point after the game's release. Back in January, a press release on the sales of MKvDC mentioned that Ed Boon and his team were already hard at work on Mortal Kombat 9, which made the MKvDC DLC plans sound dicey, at best, but I checked in with Midway and heard that the plans were still in motion to release new characters for MKvDC.

Today, we finally got an official confirmation that the DLC plans are no more. Boon posted an image of Quan Chi up on Twitter and stated that while he's excited about MK9 and the Warner Bros. deal, he wishes that the MKvDC DLC could have been released. Given how much has happened to Midway since MKvDC's release, it's not too surprising to hear that the plans are off, but since we still hadn't heard anything official, it felt like it was worth passing on. So if you're out there holding a candle for Quan Chi vs. Superman, now you know.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    You may remember that Midway had plans for downloadable content for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. At least two characters were planned for release at some point after the game's release. Back in January, a press release on the sales of MKvDC mentioned that Ed Boon and his team were already hard at work on Mortal Kombat 9, which made the MKvDC DLC plans sound dicey, at best, but I checked in with Midway and heard that the plans were still in motion to release new characters for MKvDC.

Today, we finally got an official confirmation that the DLC plans are no more. Boon posted an image of Quan Chi up on Twitter and stated that while he's excited about MK9 and the Warner Bros. deal, he wishes that the MKvDC DLC could have been released. Given how much has happened to Midway since MKvDC's release, it's not too surprising to hear that the plans are off, but since we still hadn't heard anything official, it felt like it was worth passing on. So if you're out there holding a candle for Quan Chi vs. Superman, now you know.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Wow, that is lame.

Avatar image for wreckinrodrumbler
    WreckinRodRumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WreckinRodRumbler

Aw shucks, DLC would've been nice.

It was actually a neat game.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By MaddProdigy

Epic weak sauce

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Luke

They really need to go back to their roots and see what made Mortal Kombat 2 so great. 

Screw 3D, make Mortal Kombat 9 just like Mega Man 9!!! :p 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @Luke said:
    " They really need to go back to their roots and see what made Mortal Kombat 2 so great.  Screw 3D, make Mortal Kombat 9 just like Mega Man 9!!! :p  "
    That would be awesome.  Use digitized actors again.
    Mootalstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Mootalstrike

I wanted Johnny Cage...

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

They tease us with Quan Chi to tell us this? :(

matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By matrix_hiei

Not much of a surprise. The surge of recent fighting games have made this game pretty much obsolete IMO.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

This news is lame, but you know what is awesome?  I actually care about it!  If you woulda asked me last year if I was gonna be way into Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat again, I would have let out a resounding NO!  But now, they are both awesome again.  It's like 1992 all over again!

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Reverseface

Well it doesn't suprise me MIDWAY R BUSY THESE DAYS DAWGSSSSSS

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By MeatSim

Well that sucks if your a Quan Chi fan.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By MAST

Bummer. I just bought MK vs.DC and was totally blown away by how awesome it is. I like it waaaaay better then Street Fighter 4. Why? I have no idea. There's just something about it... So no DLC is kinda a let down, but at least there is still a ton of people playing it online.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VWGTI

Eh, I'm in the "OK, whatever" group here. I have the game and still play it from time to time, but I couldn't see myself buying any DLC for it.

FallenFatKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By FallenFatKid

that sucks i love mk vs dc too bad

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16  Edited By Crono

Hahaha the caption for that pic is priceless.

SexVicar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SexVicar

It would have been pointless since there would be no way they could re-make the "Stop hitting yourself with your own bleeding stump of a leg" fatallity from MK4.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By suneku

Probably for the best. If they were going to release DLC characters, they were just going to charge for them anyways, and there'll be an uproar that they're charging money for it.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_A_Drain

I'm so not crying for this. The game was an insult to competitive fighters without the heavily stylised gore it was pointless.

NerdyNinja007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By NerdyNinja007

Disappointing.  Good thing I sold this game! :)

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By giyanks22

The game was good , but not great. Not surprising...

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DavidSnakes

Ehh, that game sucked.  I love Jeff, but he fucked that one up.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By neoepoch
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " I'm so not crying for this. The game was an insult to competitive fighters without the heavily stylised gore it was pointless. "
    I bet you like Smash Bros. as a competitive "fighter" don't you? If you were coming to MK for the gore, then just go play Madworld or Prototype for you blood fix you 16 year old. Seriously, the fighting was the main attraction here and bringing it closer back to the original fighting style with more nuances is fantastic.

@MAST
    said:
    " Bummer. I just bought MK vs.DC and was totally blown away by how awesome it is. I like it waaaaay better then Street Fighter 4. Why? I have no idea. There's just something about it... So no DLC is kinda a let down, but at least there is still a ton of people playing it online. "
    Yep. I really like SF4, but I was always an MK dude and stopped after UMK3 until this came out. This was a great throwback like SF4, but it's ridiculousness and fun fighting system are what drew me to it. Also the fact that most Japanese fighting game fans turned it down made me like it more, because it was a good game, and a bunch of snobs weren't playing it so I was doubly happy.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @neoepoch said:
    " @The_A_Drain said:
    " I'm so not crying for this. The game was an insult to competitive fighters without the heavily stylised gore it was pointless. "
    I bet you like Smash Bros. as a competitive "fighter" don't you? If you were coming to MK for the gore, then just go play Madworld or Prototype for you blood fix you 16 year old. Seriously, the fighting was the main attraction here and bringing it closer back to the original fighting style with more nuances is fantastic.

@MAST
    said:
    " Bummer. I just bought MK vs.DC and was totally blown away by how awesome it is. I like it waaaaay better then Street Fighter 4. Why? I have no idea. There's just something about it... So no DLC is kinda a let down, but at least there is still a ton of people playing it online. "
    Yep. I really like SF4, but I was always an MK dude and stopped after UMK3 until this came out. This was a great throwback like SF4, but it's ridiculousness and fun fighting system are what drew me to it. Also the fact that most Japanese fighting game fans turned it down made me like it more, because it was a good game, and a bunch of snobs weren't playing it so I was doubly happy. "
    Nuances? Lol, the MK series hasn't ever had a decent competative fighter, except one of the 3D ones that utilised weapons (Deception?) that was pretty decent I played a fair bit of that.

What I meant was without the style the franchise has become known for, IE being completely over the top, not just the gore, there's no point in playing unless your a DC fan. And the game plays like shite, it can have as many 'nuances' as it wants, it's still a pile of shit. The fighting was never the main attraction anyone who thinks it was hasn't got a fucking clue about fighters.

No I don't rate Smas Brothers as a competitive fighter, i'd honestly be in favor of slapping anybody who says it does have merit as a competitive fighter. And no, i'm 21.

You can insult me all you want, bottom line is that Mortal Kombat as a nice dose of style over substance, and MK vs DCU had no style or substance, it was flat, boring, and played horribly. If I wanted some over the top fun, i'd play some MK, if I wanted a decent fighting game i'd play Soul Calibur II, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, or SFIV, maybe Guilty Gear X and SFIII.
    Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vod_Crack

I am not too bothered since I wanted Reptile not Quan Chi

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Death_Burnout

No Quan Chi is a very good thing.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By spiceninja

I figured as much. It's been a while since that games release and it's almost too late to release DLC for it now.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By Aaron_G

That sucks.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Vod_Crack said:
    " I am not too bothered since I wanted Reptile not Quan Chi "
    Would have been neat if they released a shitload of palette swap variations for all characters for something like 250 msp. Reptile throwback > Reptile actual character
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine

It is lame that they even mentioned DLC if they were not exactly sure if they were going to release it. They got our hopes up :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187

After the release of SFIV and BlazBlue, plus KoF XII on the way...is there anyone even playing this game?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to like this game a lot, but it was just a quick cash in, maybe I'm being a little rough on the game but thats what I felt it was.
    The fatalities were lame and the fighting felt stiff and slow, plus where is my GORE?!

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Character DLC will never happen. why can't people understand that?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By papercut

j'on j'ones! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Shadow

What?  No Booster Gold!?  Say it aint so!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60

Lame

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This isn't unexpected. At all.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MAST
    @jakob187 said:
    " After the release of SFIV and BlazBlue, plus KoF XII on the way...is there anyone even playing this game?! "

Hell yeah. I see hundreds of people online every day, and personally. I feel this game is superior to Street Fighter IV. I'm sure it's just personal preference, but i like it a lot more. Just makes more sense to me, and feels just as competitive as Street Fighter. In comparison, Blazeblue is an utter mess, and Street Fighter IV ended up being inferior to SSFHDRemix in many ways, and superior in none (except for maybe graphics). I'm not sure about KoF, maybe it'll be good, but as far as current, modern fighters go, i think MKvDC ranks pretty high.

I just think it's funny how people say that MKvDC was nothing more then a cash-in because of the DC characters. Really? Umm, Street Fighter IV was the biggest ripoff/cash-in ever. The game is practically a clone of SSFHDRemix. It's basically the same game, with a few different toppings. Yet you can get HDRemix for only 15 bucks, while SF4 cost 60. And don't even get me started about how they did DLC for SF4...

TabooTongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TabooTongue

Thanks Midway and Boon; Thanks for never finishing the MK:A Bios, Thanks for not Patching SuperMan's infinite in MKvsDC, and thanks for not holding up to your word on this. Thanks for chasing profits instead of staying true to your long time fans.
    I played an Arcade cabinet of MKII today, and have been on and off for the past week. Much more satisfying than playing MKvsDC online.
    MK9 must be in 2D, they should follow Capcom's lead with SF by releasing an update to MKT then a new game in arcade form that has only 2 planes of movement. Work out all the bugs in revisions then release a home version.

Thanks for the update Jeff.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By agentboolen
    @MAST said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " After the release of SFIV and BlazBlue, plus KoF XII on the way...is there anyone even playing this game?! "
    Hell yeah. I see hundreds of people online every day, and personally. I feel this game is superior to Street Fighter IV. I'm sure it's just personal preference, but i like it a lot more. Just makes more sense to me, and feels just as competitive as Street Fighter. In comparison, Blazeblue is an utter mess, and Street Fighter IV ended up being inferior to SSFHDRemix in many ways, and superior in none (except for maybe graphics). I'm not sure about KoF, maybe it'll be good, but as far as current, modern fighters go, i think MKvDC ranks pretty high.I just think it's funny how people say that MKvDC was nothing more then a cash-in because of the DC characters. Really? Umm, Street Fighter IV was the biggest ripoff/cash-in ever. The game is practically a clone of SSFHDRemix. It's basically the same game, with a few different toppings. Yet you can get HDRemix for only 15 bucks, while SF4 cost 60. And don't even get me started about how they did DLC for SF4... "
    Don't totally agree with you when comparing SF4 vs SSF2HDremix.  I found SF4 to be much more balance online.  Its much easier to get into a cheap fight in SSF2HDremix in my opinion.  Seems like the characters move more fluid in SF4 and are less likely to get into a never ending cheap combo.  SSF2HDremix is definitely the best SF2 game out there but at the same time I feel like players can be much cheaper in it.  For MKvsDC I think its actually a lot better of a game then people give it credit for.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Media_Master

O'well, they're too busy working on MK9

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MAST
    @agentboolen said:
    Don't totally agree with you when comparing SF4 vs SSF2HDremix.  I found SF4 to be much more balance online.  Its much easier to get into a cheap fight in SSF2HDremix in my opinion.  Seems like the characters move more fluid in SF4 and are less likely to get into a never ending cheap combo.  SSF2HDremix is definitely the best SF2 game out there but at the same time I feel like players can be much cheaper in it.  For MKvsDC I think its actually a lot better of a game then people give it credit for. "

I don't disagree with your points, SF4 is definitely more polished, and it should be since it's a 2009 game. However, i don't think any of the points you mentioned justify the price difference. 15 dollars vs. 60 dollars at release? You can basically get the same experience in SSFHDRemix for 15 bucks, as you do in Street Fighter 4 for 60 bucks. So it just always boggled my mind that so many people bought SF4 for 60 bucks when it was more or less an expansion pack. I think we all, as gamers, should be demanding more for our money, and not letting these developers play on our love for past IP's.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By agentboolen
    @MAST said:
    " @agentboolen said:
    Don't totally agree with you when comparing SF4 vs SSF2HDremix.  I found SF4 to be much more balance online.  Its much easier to get into a cheap fight in SSF2HDremix in my opinion.  Seems like the characters move more fluid in SF4 and are less likely to get into a never ending cheap combo.  SSF2HDremix is definitely the best SF2 game out there but at the same time I feel like players can be much cheaper in it.  For MKvsDC I think its actually a lot better of a game then people give it credit for. "
    I don't disagree with your points, SF4 is definitely more polished, and it should be since it's a 2009 game. However, i don't think any of the points you mentioned justify the price difference. 15 dollars vs. 60 dollars at release? You can basically get the same experience in SSFHDRemix for 15 bucks, as you do in Street Fighter 4 for 60 bucks. So it just always boggled my mind that so many people bought SF4 for 60 bucks when it was more or less an expansion pack. I think we all, as gamers, should be demanding more for our money, and not letting these developers play on our love for past IP's. "
    Calling SF4 a expansion to SSFHDRemix seems a little bit harsh to me. Sure I understand your point with the gameplay, not much has change but I think Capcom has been scared to change that formula because when they do fans usually turn on them (SF EX).  I know what you mean about the $15 - $60 difference, but at the same time when SSFHDRemix came out for $15 I felt it was a bit high since all it was is SF2Turbo with updated graphics & 4 new characters (I didn't buy it at $15 I bought it at $10 as deal of the week).  There is no doubt Capcom has been able to milk us on money you didn't mind spending $15 (for your old game) and I didn't mind to pay $60 (for my slightly new game).  With all this said I still find SF4 for me was worth the money because I play it more then most online games that I own.  I also enjoy the simple pick up and play gameplay of SF games that seems to keep them selling for fans.  For deamanding more for our money you are right, I woulld have liked the 2nd outfits to be free, and a few more characters would be nice to, and throw in a few more backgrounds, but saying that is like saying I wish Carvel would give me more ice cream for my money. I can't change your mind on you not feeling there slightly new game is worth $60, but at the same time I can honestly say that I'm happy with my purchase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.