Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Rain input bug

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ares42

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide a video, but there seems to be an input bug with Rain. Basically if you do 4-3-D-B quick enough you will actually get 3 attacks randomly picking between the roundhouse or the water-kick. What's really annoying about this is that if your timing is off you might end up getting the wrong special move. I tried recreating the same situation with another char and while I was able to confirm that it's actually possible to do buttons then directions and get a special move coming out, but in no case did I get both the attack and the special. If anyone else is able to recreate this and put it in a video it would be great =)

Edit: realized this is something usually called "negative edge", but I still don't think it's supposed to give you 3 attacks by pushing 2 buttons ?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I basically can't ever get Rain to perform Lightning off a simple 3, 3 start-up. Even when the inputs are correct (when you can verify the input accuracy in the training mode), he'll still do the water kick.

Pretty infuriating to be denied that precision for a character that nearly requires exact timing.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EvilDingo

I suppose that's the downside of having all moves for a character be either D,F or D,B - while having that mechanic in the game.
    Haven't really thought about it, but now you mention it, I realize I've been noticing that too. 

He can't possibly be the only character that has that problem though. 
    D,F or D,B seem to be the most common input for specials. 

Perhaps no character really should "double up" on inputs for specials.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EvilDingo: Yeah, you're right. It's not rare for other characters to have this bug to pop up, but Rain's combo's are so dependent on his specials, and he doesn't have a lot of good midscreen striking set-ups, so he seems to get into more trouble than most.

Also, as mentioned earlier, the timing on a lot of his inputs need to be performed excruciatingly quickly--perhaps more than any other character in the game--so this issue hurts him on several fronts.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilDingo
    @Sir_Ragnarok
    It IS hardly a bug though (as the OP wrote in his edit). 
    It's a feature :-)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EvilDingo: I suppose you're right.

Like you said, then: Bad decision on the developer's part to load Rain up with identical inputs.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ares42
    @EvilDingo: Well, I dunno (I'm not _that_ experience with fighting games) but it seems odd to get 3 attacks out of 2 button prompts, especially considering you sometimes end up with the roundhouse. How could it be intentional that the game reads a D-B-4 input after you have already pushed a second button and that second attack came out ?
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilDingo
    @Ares42:  
    You mentioned the term for it "negative edge" - I was not aware that that was the term for it, but I was aware of the concept. 
    I learned about it when I was trying to learn SSF4. 

The idea behind it is that a special can be performed either by: 
    1.) Making the motion and then push the action-button  
    2.) Making the motion and then releasing the action-button 

It is certainly useful SSF4, and it can be useful in MK too.
    Although I haven't thought about, I have in fact been using it. 
    As an example I know I've been looking in combo-strings to see which special it would be easy too pull off mid-string - and consider if the move made sense to use there. 

An easy way to test this mechanic off is to pick Jade and do her shadow-kick twice quickly by only pressing the action-button once: d,f,(push button),d,f,(release button).

I don't want to come off as defending the mechanic's use in this game too much, because (as this topic highlights) there are obvious problems with it. 
    I figure this is mostly because MK also has it's dial-a-combo system, that make i possible to queue up moves in combos, that this can be a problem.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ares42

Hmm, ye guess my investigation yesterday wasn't thorough enough. Basically what I found yesterday was that any character where I tried to do a combo and then follow it with a special that used the same button as the last hit in the combo (without pushing the button twice) it would come out as either the full combo or replace the last hit with the special. But it seems there are other characters in the game already that will give you both the normal attack and the special. Still doesn't really explain how you sometimes end up with roundhouse though, but after playing with him some more (and reading up on a few tips on how to deal with it) I started getting the hang of it :P It feels really funky though, around half of his specials can be performed in combos just by doing directional inputs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ares42 said:

Hmm, ye guess my investigation yesterday wasn't thorough enough. Basically what I found yesterday was that any character where I tried to do a combo and then follow it with a special that used the same button as the last hit in the combo (without pushing the button twice) it would come out as either the full combo or replace the last hit with the special. But it seems there are other characters in the game already that will give you both the normal attack and the special. Still doesn't really explain how you sometimes end up with roundhouse though, but after playing with him some more (and reading up on a few tips on how to deal with it) I started getting the hang of it :P It feels really funky though, around half of his specials can be performed in combos just by doing directional inputs.

You can also totally cancel the animation of a combo if you input an X-Ray immediately after finishing the combo input, but you'll still deal the damage as though that extra blow had landed.

Some weird stuff happens in this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.