Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

What would you like to see in MK10?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Through reading Ed Boon’s tweets, I have a feeling that after Freddy’s release tomorrow that’s the last DLC character we will get for this game. Also, he has hinted that artist and writers have started conceptualizing the “next game.”

Obviously, as of now there is nothing but speculation for that, but it got me thinking; I loved MK9 and after watching EVO 2011, I honestly think it’s one of the more balanced fighters (yeah Kung Lao won, but at least Mileena, Johnny Cage, Kitana, Reptile and others were seen. It wasn't a heavily one-sided affair of same characters) and fun, but it still needs some more.

So this is my list of what I’d like to see in MK10 and feel free to add yours:

1. I’d like to see ALL the characters from MK9 return in 10. Storywise they can do whatever they want, but when it comes to vs,  and as seen in the past, they shouldn’t discard favorite characters (including Rain, Kenshi and Skarlet.)

2. In addition, here is who I’d like them to add to the cast of characters; Shinnok, Frost, Havyk, Tanya, Li Mei, Fujin, Reiko, Tremor and maybe a few extra new chracters.

3. Keep the same basic fighting engine (which works wonders and keeps character feeling fairly unique from one another) but add in more and better footsies and less reliance on jump-in-punch combos.

4. Keep with the simple control schemes (aka no QHC or dragon punch motions).

5. If they are going to add DLC, release it all at once and FORCE compatiability downloads from the get go so that we don’t get desync issues.

6. Also, keep hammering out that netcode, get GGPO if you must.

7. Implement more Tag options. I thoroughly think Tag matches are underutilized and hell, Test Your Might.com is just starting to feature some pretty crazy tag stuff on their web page that adds whole new depth to MK9. I think it would be crazy to even go to 3 partners, but I think they could still improve on 2.

8. Unability to quit during a ranked match without backing out to console home screen. Too many rage quitters on there.

9. More behind the scenes “making of” content.

10. A better Krypt navigation. I thought navigating the Krypt in this game while buying things was a nightmare.

11. Continue the great story mode, continue the great tower mode.

12. Better connection of King of the Hill (this could go with 5 and 6 really, but they still haven’t figured it out in MK9 yet…)

13. a better training mode that teaches players how to properly combo break, do combos, and strategizes for characters for beginners. Though, I am pleased that MK9 rewards players for coming up with their own combos as well.

14. More ninjas; cyber, male or female. ;)

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RaikohBlade

Decrease the reliance on combo breakers. It seems that high level players usually save up their meter for combo breakers, and I think that affects the flow of the game in a negative way. Maybe they should make it so that combo breakers can only be used once per game (not round) or something. That would force players do use their meter for enhancing specials and doing x-ray attacks, which would spice up the gameplay more. As it is, players are usually afraid to spend their meter on anything else. "What if I get caught in a combo and I need to break?" This is defensive-minded, and the developers have put great effort  to make this game very offensive. Combo breaker as it is goes against that philosophy, so I'd to see it changed.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Sooperspy

Ninjas and Robots. That is all.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully

@RaikohBlade said:

Decrease the reliance on combo breakers. It seems that high level players usually save up their meter for combo breakers, and I think that affects the flow of the game in a negative way. Maybe they should make it so that combo breakers can only be used once per game (not round) or something. That would force players do use their meter for enhancing specials and doing x-ray attacks, which would spice up the gameplay more. As it is, players are usually afraid to spend their meter on anything else. "What if I get caught in a combo and I need to break?" This is defensive-minded, and the developers have put great effort to make this game very offensive. Combo breaker as it is goes against that philosophy, so I'd to see it changed.

I am almost the complete opposite and save up my meter for x-ray. I have won more victories because of a last minute, well placed x-ray then any combo breakers.

herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By herreno

2-3 X-rays per character ;)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

I see no need for a MK10 till next console..

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @SSully said:

@RaikohBlade said:

Decrease the reliance on combo breakers. It seems that high level players usually save up their meter for combo breakers, and I think that affects the flow of the game in a negative way. Maybe they should make it so that combo breakers can only be used once per game (not round) or something. That would force players do use their meter for enhancing specials and doing x-ray attacks, which would spice up the gameplay more. As it is, players are usually afraid to spend their meter on anything else. "What if I get caught in a combo and I need to break?" This is defensive-minded, and the developers have put great effort to make this game very offensive. Combo breaker as it is goes against that philosophy, so I'd to see it changed.

I am almost the complete opposite and save up my meter for x-ray. I have won more victories because of a last minute, well placed x-ray then any combo breakers.

I like your style. But for top players to change their style, the combo breaker system must be changed. It's always a safe move to save up for a combo breaker. If you use your x ray before the end of the match, you end up with no meter to break with. This is a bad position to be in, so top players would rather just play it safe. I've never liked the whole concept of combo breakers. To me, it's like they're saying "We know our combos do too much damage, so instead of putting in the time to tweak the damage output, we'll put in a gimmicky combo breaker system." If they could take it out of the game without breaking the game flow, Mortal Kombat would be a simpler, more elegant game in my eyes.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By laserbolts

Maybe have it so you only build up meter by landing special moves so that people don't spam the shit out of projectiles to build up meter. Also would maybe help the whole breaker thing if it's harder to build up meter.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By EvilDingo
    @Herreno said:
    2-3 X-rays per character ;)
    That would be awesome.... And I guess it could work if they have the same properties and you just get a random animation. 

My suggestion is just ecchoing what have been said. 
    - Better training 
    - Better online 

Also the ability to make crazy custom rules with friends online and offline. 
    I'm thinking stuff like local reverse king of the hill with loser stays on, and regenerating meter and stuff :-) 
    Great stuff for a drinking game.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

More variations on X-rays would make me use them more often. I'm not sure I really want to see characters from the MK4 to MK8 era make it, except for Shinnok who's apparently looking like a lock for the next one. I'd rather see some original characters, preferably not the dozenth ninja. More exploration of the realms outside Earth and explanation of the lore behind them would go a long ways towards making the story more meaningful as well.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Has Tremor actually become a bit favourite or is this some kind of running joke? I love MK, but please, no more ninja's. Rain was already pushing it as it was.

Hydro would be the only thing close that I'd accept and only if he's a replacement for Cyber Sub-zero (who really never needs to return).

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I want a lobby that is strictly for beginners/people who just aren't good at the game, like me. I cannot play MK9 online because everyone on there is way too good. All of the so called "Beginners Only" rooms are filled with people who are the farthest thing from beginners. I'm talking people with hundreds of wins and only a dozen or so losses. I don't want to play against them.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

I'd just like a better "footsies" game, but that seemingly goes against what MK is. It's always been a game about committing to what moves/combos you make.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @RaikohBlade
    I agree. They used to have it where you just had 3 breakers for the entire fight, and I think that would add more strategy to know you only had "x'  amount of breakers and used the EX for other things.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By D_W

I disagree about the breaker ideas you guys are having. A lot of people that are very good in at this game say that the meter usage is the best thing about the game and I'm inclined to agree. It helps prevent the game from being an all out boring ass combo fest where whoever gets the first hit is the winner. Not enough fighting games allow for a good defensive strategy and having a combo breaker system like this makes playing and watching the game that much more interesting.

Otherwise I agree with most of the things mentioned in this thread. The air game in MK 9 is a bit to strong and I'd liked to see more AA options.

But the two most important things are: 1) they need to fix the online. I'm really tired of getting the "Game Session no longer available" message. 2) better training mode.

The story has me a bit worried with how many characters are dead. Only like a 1/4 of the cast survives the story mode, right?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

A stance change button.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#17  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I really hope they bring in some new or MK4, 5 and 6 characters, and that the characters who died stay dead. I want the next game to be a new game, not Mortal Kombat 9 + some new characters. Outside of the playable MK1 cast, Reptile, Mileena, Quan-Chi and maybe Ermac (I don't remember if you see Ermac die or not) I'd be perfectly fine with everyone staying dead.

Not sure how they'd bring Sub-Zero and Liu-Kang back, but I'd love to see Liu come back as a Noob-Saibot-esque shadow-specter working for Quan-Chi, just without the annoying, easily spammed projectiles Noob had. Sub-Zero I'd want to come back as his normal self because I like playing him and I can't imagine a Mortal Kombat game without him, (Pretty sure he's the only character to appear in every game if you count MK1 Sub-Zero as the same character) but they could just make Frost play like Sub-Zero and be able to get away with not having him from a pure gameplay standpoint.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By OneManX

Yeah keep the meter as is. Even at EVO commentators kept saying that MK might have the best Meter management compared to SF and MvC3. Because of the risk/reward of using a ton of EX moves and not saving for breakers or holding out for X-Rays and not using EX moves.

Tournament Brackets - Allow players to set guidelines (and completely rip off 3rd Strike) and set rules sets and use EVO style rounds, and ban characters

2nd X-Ray being able to choose from the start and have them be different set-ups. Like X-Ray 1 is a teleport and X-Ray 2 is a counter

I think there is enough in the terms of fatalities (2 Fatals, Stage Fatal, bability) so just, Hey, new fatals bro!

MAYBE some of the MK4-8 Crew, but I will gladly accept new characters. New looks for the current cast

Custom Online Lobbies (Ban players with X ammount of matches or wins) to keep it for Beginners or Experts

Better online play

And more DLC

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Disengage

More Freddy Krueger.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

A gibs machine that you'd hook up to your console via usb. During fatalities, the machine spits fake gibs and corn syrup at you

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dingofighter

@Yanngc33 said:

A gibs machine that you'd hook up to your console via usb. During fatalities, the machine spits fake gibs and corn syrup at you

Why do they need to be fake?

Just stuff a pig in there before each fight and it will do the job for you.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cheesebob

@IntramanDW said:

The story has me a bit worried with how many characters are dead. Only like a 1/4 of the cast survives the story mode, right?

Could easily retcon it with...since the Eldar Gods won, they ressurected everyone etc etc. Or better yet the story could be johnny cage, raiden etc looking for the lost souls of the other characters.

I want to see this Dream realm where Freddy Krueger is supposed to live

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Bestostero
    @Cheesebob said:

About the dream realm, I'm not sure if it was clearly stated, but if you seen Jade's arcade ending, that seems a dream world, she lost consciousness and went into a dream like state where she got possessed by some woman. lol

But anyways, PINK MALE ninja please. lol
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By D_W

@Cheesebob said:

@IntramanDW said:

Could easily retcon it with...since the Eldar Gods won, they ressurected everyone etc etc. Or better yet the story could be johnny cage, raiden etc looking for the lost souls of the other characters.

But we know where their souls are. Quan Chi has them. I'm sure they'll play a part though. I wonder if Saibot will still around after getting sucked into... *sigh* the soulnado.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.