Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Price Points

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

Edited By kariyanine

So Nintendo announced the release date and pricing for the 3DS in Japan. February seems a good spot for it but the $300 price tag conversely seems mighty steep. Now a lot of people are defending the pricing stating that the tech is more than worth the price. That is debatable being as many people (including me) do not have the ability to see 3D very well and for us the 3DS is really just an upgraded version of the DS. Yes the games look fantastic but $300 fantastic? I’m not so sure about that. The other argument that people are making is that Nintendo will release at the $300 price point and allow their rabid fans to flock to the hardware like flies on fecal matter and then drop the price to what the general masses will support. Now I am by no means a Nintendo fanboy but I know some and priced at $300 this is not an early lifetime purchase for them, this is a major problem for the 3DS regardless of if people want to admit it or not.

$300 is not a mass market price tag for this device, just like $600 was not a mass market price tag for the PS3. There are going to be some that point to the iPhone or iPad and state that those devices are priced outside the mass market price point yet they sell like hotcakes. However there are two things to remember here. 1) Apple products are notoriously high priced and 2) the core base of Apple products understands point 1. The core base of Nintendo is used to having Nintendo price their products at a reasonable price. Pricing your new handheld over what your home system costs is a risky move no matter how one wants to look at it.

Another thing that many defenders of the price point seem to forget is that the core user base of the DS (at least in the US) is children. I have three kids, three kids that want a DS (my oldest daughter is going to get her first DS next week in fact). I can justify getting my kids DS Lights at $130 and splurging for a DSi for me. All four of those systems would cost me half of what it will cost for me to outfit my kids with 3DSes. How many parents are going to be in the same position? For the 3DS to be successful it needs to be able to get its core base (my kids) to get one in their hand. At $300 they won’t, at least not from me.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#1  Edited By kariyanine

So Nintendo announced the release date and pricing for the 3DS in Japan. February seems a good spot for it but the $300 price tag conversely seems mighty steep. Now a lot of people are defending the pricing stating that the tech is more than worth the price. That is debatable being as many people (including me) do not have the ability to see 3D very well and for us the 3DS is really just an upgraded version of the DS. Yes the games look fantastic but $300 fantastic? I’m not so sure about that. The other argument that people are making is that Nintendo will release at the $300 price point and allow their rabid fans to flock to the hardware like flies on fecal matter and then drop the price to what the general masses will support. Now I am by no means a Nintendo fanboy but I know some and priced at $300 this is not an early lifetime purchase for them, this is a major problem for the 3DS regardless of if people want to admit it or not.

$300 is not a mass market price tag for this device, just like $600 was not a mass market price tag for the PS3. There are going to be some that point to the iPhone or iPad and state that those devices are priced outside the mass market price point yet they sell like hotcakes. However there are two things to remember here. 1) Apple products are notoriously high priced and 2) the core base of Apple products understands point 1. The core base of Nintendo is used to having Nintendo price their products at a reasonable price. Pricing your new handheld over what your home system costs is a risky move no matter how one wants to look at it.

Another thing that many defenders of the price point seem to forget is that the core user base of the DS (at least in the US) is children. I have three kids, three kids that want a DS (my oldest daughter is going to get her first DS next week in fact). I can justify getting my kids DS Lights at $130 and splurging for a DSi for me. All four of those systems would cost me half of what it will cost for me to outfit my kids with 3DSes. How many parents are going to be in the same position? For the 3DS to be successful it needs to be able to get its core base (my kids) to get one in their hand. At $300 they won’t, at least not from me.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

That was the price for Japan. 
     It'll probably cost less here.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " That was the price for Japan.  It'll probably cost less here. "
    250 ish maybe here. Maybe less. Think they might have a special for trading in a DS? 
    blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By blazerx9x
    @SethPhotopoulos: I have this wierd feeling it`s gonna be more, I don`t know, to me $300 feels like a pretty generous price.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @blazerx9x: Americans tend to get things at a lower price.  At least compared to Europe. 

I'm using game prices to compare though.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

I never buy portable consoles until they hit low in price. Being a student, I just don't have the money to throw around like that. I got my DS for under 100 used and my PSP for 100 refurbished, and I'm pretty happy to have them. I can wait a bit for a 3DS.

blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By blazerx9x
    @SethPhotopoulos: Well in that case, that`s AWESOME.
    sofakingcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By sofakingcool

I refuse to pay more for a handheld than a current gen console. I really don't care how impressive the tech is I just don't see that thing succeeding at $300. It's sad but maybe the tech is too advanced, nintendo should have waited until it could produce them for less say a year or so down the line.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.