Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Software Installs on the 3DS (Nikkei)

vaultdweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By vaultdweller
      http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/3ds_software_install/

"According to the paper (Nikkei), gamers will be able copy 3DS software to internal memory. Multiple games can be stored with the system in this fashion. You'll be able to switch between games by selecting a title from the system's main menu.

The paper notes that due to this feature, there'll be no need to swap cartridges. When outside of the home, you won't need to carry game cartridges with you."

Nikkei is a Japanese financial newspaper and were the first to report that the 3DS would have a joystick.  Personally I'd love not having to carry multiple cartridges.  I do wonder how Nintendo will handle piracy because the 3DS would be able to play games without checking for the game cart.

Edit: I'd like to be clear and say that I saw this on NeoGAF, thanks to cw_sasuke
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ashogo

This sounds like a very interesting idea indeed. Although I wonder how big the internal memory of the 3ds will be.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

Piracy! yay

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo

So this would be like Xbox 360 Hard-Drive installs without having to have the disk in? That seems like a really unwise decision on Nintendo's behalf...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

At first, I was like BOOOOOOO!!!!

But then, when I figured you didn't need to have the cart inside, I was like YAY!

As for piracy, they'll learn their lesson eventually.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Jost1

One assumes they have some kind of DRM in the 3DS's innards, like the game installs are only valid for a few days, something like that.

There's NO way Nintendo isn't thinking about piracy with this iteration of the DS.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JokerSmilez

Well, they did mention the 3DS having always on WiFi and uploading game info to their servers, etc.

Maybe each cartridge will have a unique code so if you install a game on more than one device from the same cartridge, it won't work? That would be my guess for their idea on how to prevent piracy.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SSbabel

If that's so I'm very interested.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Binman88

I'll be interested to see how they deter piracy with this. They obviously would have something in place to stop you installing the game on multiple 3DSes, but I can't imagine how they would do it without possibly inconveniencing the owner. A simple idea would be to lock the cartridge after the game has been transferred to the device, making the cartridge unusable until the content is transferred off the 3DS and "back" onto the cartridge. But then you have to wonder what happens to that game if your 3DS breaks while the game is locked away inside it... Like I said, I'll be interested to see how they figured this out.

vaultdweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vaultdweller

Nintendo could use a Steam like service that ties the games to a persons account.  In a way this also discourages piracy and buying used games.  One of the main reasons people hack the DS or Wii is to be able to not have to switch between discs and carts.  Now that this is already a feature some people won't try to run a custom firmware.  The used game market would suffer because 3DS games would become like PC games with very little resale value.  Consumers would be wary about whether a used game has already been installed so it'd be safer to just buy it new.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ryanwho

They took away the only thing the PSP had left.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

I can see this happening, I have heard of a lot of people who bought flashcards just to be able to discard bringing lots of cartridges.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JJOR64

That sounds like an awesome idea, buy how will they deal with piracy.  That's what I want to know.  There has to be a catch if we are able to do this.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By FrankWeidner

I'm guessing each game will be able to install to one DS at a time. If you want to install it to another DS, you need to erase the original first.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

They're not dumb; of course there will be some type of DRM.  But I know that those restrictions probably won't affect me, so I'm all for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.