Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Why 3DS Isn't Selling???

Julian89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Julian89

apanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling
    3DS was released too early, it suffers the same problem that Sony did when they released the PS3. They should have waited until they had some good release titles i.e Legend of Zelda, a Mario game, Star Fox. Then released it, they would have made a lot more sales at launch had that been the case. In any case, I am still getting one ( from amazon or volumerates etc) and I will still keep my old DS Lite to play game boy games on.
    Why haven't you bought a 3DS yet, and what would it take to get you to purchase?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

No games.

I got the 3DS, but because I had to catch up on some DS games, I stopped at the GBA SP last gen.
    Not too happy with it so far, its fun but rather useless, so here's hoping to Zelda.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By onarum

Because there are no good games for it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

A better forum based ad campaign.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Julian89 said:
    3DS was released too early, it suffers the same problem that Sony did when they released the PS3. They should have waited until they had some good release titles i.e Legend of Zelda, a Mario game, Star Fox. Then released it, they would have made a lot more sales at launch had that been the case. In any case, I am still getting one ( from amazon or volumerates etc) and I will still keep my old DS Lite to play game boy games on.Why haven't you bought a 3DS yet, and what would it take to get you to purchase?
    No games. When the zelda and starfox comes out. Sales will pick up. 
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

It's a simple answer for me. The handheld is simply too expensive and doesn't have enough captivating titles to validate purchase. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Aus_azn

No games, too expensive are the two reasons that are blocking me from buying it.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

i like pickles.

Julian89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Julian89
    Although expensive, then they can prevent our net game's footsteps
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's a tad pricey and needs more games. 
     I bought one, and while I enjoy the design and graphics, Street fighter just got really old.  
     Gotta stick it out till the 19th. Zelda baby, Zelda.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

no games too many good games on DS

price

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

No games worth playing at launch
    The best games on the horizon are nothing but enhanced ports (hopefully at E3 we get to hear news of brand new games) 
    Features that are in the system but not ready to be used 
    Ridiculous "launch window" time (seriously from March-June?) 
    Also at $250 it's a bit of a pill that's hard to swallow

It would have worked way better on nintendo's part if they had just waited a few more months that way there would be more games to play and all of the 3DS' launch features would be ready to use. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By Sooperspy

Not enough great games yet.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By RobotHamster

It's because the eShop isn't up yet.

Botticelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Botticelli

I wont buy one yet because i just bought an XL so im still enjoying my ds right now. I would like to see more colours available and a price drop before i buy one anyway. Im not in any hurry but once animal crossing comes out there will be no stopping me.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Fuckin thing hurts my eyeballz on the real

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people say "sales will pick up when Zelda comes out." Why are people so willing to rebuy and replay a game they played and beat (and some STILL play) again?

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
    @President_Barackbar said:
    I don't understand why people say "sales will pick up when Zelda comes out." Why are people so willing to rebuy and replay a game they played and beat (and some STILL play) again?
    It's likely that current and future 3DS owners never got a chance to play OoT when it first came out on the N64 or probably couldn't look past how it looked. Now those people get their chance to play what is highly regarded as one of the best games ever made.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonPixel

Iphone, Ipad, Android and what not... 

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
    @DonPixel said:
    Iphone, Ipad, Android and what not... 
    That's another thing. We are now living in a world where most people would rather have their smartphone of choice or tablet do some of what the 3DS does, which is primarily play games, and don't want a dedicated device. It's much easier and continent to just have a one in all time thing. 
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By niamahai

NO GAEMS!  

and kinda expensive. 

but still mostly no gaems.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DonPixel
    @Oscar__Explosion: Even more worrying for Nintendo: Among kids Iphone is the hot stuff nowadays. 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oscar__Explosion said:

@President_Barackbar said:

It's likely that current and future 3DS owners never got a chance to play OoT when it first came out on the N64 or probably couldn't look past how it looked. Now those people get their chance to play what is highly regarded as one of the best games ever made.
    I'm not talking about people who never played it, I'm talking about people that DID play it being so eager to rebuy it. I know a couple people personally who are going to, but it still makes little sense to me that a remake is the marquee title for this thing. And don't even get me started on "best game ever made", but that's neither here nor there.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Samaritan

I'm sure by the time of this post the following points have been made ad nauseum but it's pretty easy to look at both the rampant lack of software for the 3DS, as well as the pervasiveness and the widespread success of the iPhone and iPad as gaming platforms as the reasons sales are below expectations for the handheld. The market demands better content for the 3DS to matter and until it gets games that are meaningful to the general public, the system just won't matter to most people. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64
    @Aus_azn said:
    No games, too expensive are the two reasons that are blocking me from buying it.
    This really for most people.  I got mine day one and it's a nice piece of hardware.  There just isn't enough great games right now.  Like all systems, you have to wait till the good games come out.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By beargirl1

i wouldn't have considered buying one if DOA Dimensions was not coming out for it. like everyone said, there'snot really any appealing games. such a weak launch library. 

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shadows_kill

Best game is a 3d port. Expensive. Why buy it? I can PROMISE as soon as mario or zelda comes out they are gonna be sold out.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By FreakAche

Maybe because it doesn't have games on it?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RE_Player1

There are no games that interest me and I know it may sound dumb but I'm personally waiting for at least the next iteration of the hardware. 3 hour battery is pathetic for how I would use the thing. The Vita looks amazing and has some awesome games, assuming the ones being shown are launch titles, but if the battery life is also 3 hours than again I'll wait for the next one. 

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Julian89 said:
    3DS was released too early, it suffers the same problem that Sony did when they released the PS3. They should have waited until they had some good release titles i.e Legend of Zelda, a Mario game, Star Fox. Then released it, they would have made a lot more sales at launch had that been the case. In any case, I am still getting one ( from amazon or volumerates etc) and I will still keep my old DS Lite to play game boy games on.Why haven't you bought a 3DS yet, and what would it take to get you to purchase?
    I'm not really sure why you thought creating this topic was necessary. It's no secret that the fact that the 3DS didn't sell better then it did is because there are no games for it. There still isn't a game out that would make people buy a 3DS. It's kind of sad that the only games I'm looking forward to playing on my 3DS are remakes (OOT and MGS3) 
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By strainedeyes

No compelling games, and a bad battery life are what's keeping me away. Hopefully the 3DSi will fix these issues.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kjellm87

You might say it launched a little early, I'm not sure why. Expect it to sell more when Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario and all that stuff comes out.
    IMO the Iphone has have little to do with the sales.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Famov

I mean, if red named giantbomb folks aren't buying it, who is?

But release that new Paper Mario game, and it's totally mine. Intelligent Systems could be my favorite of Nintendo's internal developers and I make it a point to not miss any of their work.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Parkingtigers

I loved the hell out of my DS, but I can't justify the expense of DS games any more.  Certainly not when compared to the price of other games on other systems.  Here in Hong Kong, I can pick up Xbox 360 games, new, for only slightly more than the price of a DS game.  L.A. Noire cost me $300 HK, which is about $30 US.  Most DS games sell for about the same.  Disc based games often appear cheap, and can be discounted later, due to them being able to mass produce the discs pretty cheaply.  Cartridges never drop in price, so finding a "platinum hits" version of an older title just doesn't happen. 

That's not to say that there aren't some DS games that I sank tons of hours into, but sitting hunched over a small screen as opposed to sitting in front of the big TV ... when the price is comparable but the experience is not, then the choice is easy to make.  Mostly I played my DS when I was travelling around, and wasn't settled enough to have access to a home console.  Once I got my 360 back my handhelds started to gather dust. 

Coming from the other end, the iOS devices are really starting to punch above their weight now in terms of games.  Some good games are getting ported over, and some very good system originals are eating into the desire for a dedicated handheld.  Street Fighter 3D?  Well, I'm not much of a fighting fan, I'm very casual.  $30 for a gimmicky version of a game that I'll only play a bit ... well I can't justify that.  I picked up the iOS version when it went on sale for one US dollar.  One buck.  One.  Sure it has touch controls, but it works fine enough and I had a hell of a lot of fun for my dollar.  Because of the price, and the ubiquity of iOS devices, I was able to play it multiplayer in the pub against my friend too.  He was playing on his iPhone, I was playing the pixel-doubled version on my iPad, and it was the first time I had played Street Fighter against another human for 20 years.  Good times.   The chances of that ever happening if I were to make the substantial cash investment for the 3DS?  Pretty much zero. 

The App Store's pricing patterns are going to make it harder for other handhelds now.  I may still pull the trigger on the 3DS at some point, but it would be to buy and play specific titles only.  I would need to know that I'm going to get my money's worth from a game, and it would need to be a game that I couldn't buy anywhere else.  The days of taking a chance on a $30 game are over for me, not when for the same money I could get 25 games on the App Store.  Hell, worst case I could get 6 top iPad games for the same money.  Not to mention the sheer number of games that go for free, and I do mean FREE, in the regular promotions offered on the App Store.  Today alone I got Back to the Future Episode 1 and Speedball 2 for the grand price of zero dollars and zero cents.  I've literally been picking up free games faster than I can actually finish them.

Latest purchase for me was iPACROSS.  I put 100 hours into Picross DS, and 150 into 3D Picross on my NDS.  I love those games.  Now I have iPACROSS on my iPad.  Comes with the same sort of production values (though misses the victory animations), and has 400 puzzles.  Only cost $3 US though.  Well, that's game over as far as I'm concerned.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pezen

I'm not sure how it looks globally, but locally there also have not been a big push marketing the damn thing. It as if it was nothing more than a mere color upgrade as far as I can tell. I mean, if I didn't actually follow up on gaming news at all, I probably wouldn't know it existed. Or if I did, I probably wouldn't know it's strengths compared to the old DS.  

But I'm sure app-gaming is another killer to the portable gaming idea, at least above a certain age.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dany

It is not selling because of all of the reasons listed above

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By xpgamer7

No games exist, only promises.

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LostRebel

OP is a spam bot.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jiggah

People keep saying Zelda.  Yea...no thx.  But it's literally the same game that has been ported to every other Nintendo console after the n64 does not warrant a purchase from me.  I'm waiting on good original content.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By keyhunter

I bought it day 1 with the knowledge that there were no games for it, and there weren't ever going to be any games for it until 6th gen pokemon or the next revolutionary puzzle type game 2 years down the line. Why? Because I've got a metric shit tonne of disposable income and I'm antsy for anything new. Still haven't bought a PS3 though for some reason. I blame Chad Warden for that.

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LostRebel

Okay, maybe the OP isn't a spambot, it's just Amazon.com and the Chinese Amazon.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolverine

I haven't boughten one because I can't justify the purchase. $250 is way to much money for a device that I consider single purpose, 3D isn't a selling point for me, and there are no games for it. Even if I bought one I would probably still use my DS Lite more. At least there are actual games to play and the battery life is half decent.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AuthenticM

That was the case for the original DS also. It didn't sell well at first because it had no games and no third-party support. But it got some eventually (a lot). It'll be the same for the 3DS, just wait.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Hizang

Theres no fucking games for it!
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By McShank
    @Oscar__Explosion: iv had n64 since launch but never liked the zelda's on it till recently when i had to order a new cable to it and found OoT and majora's for like 5$ each.

Price is not the problem, its the games and well. YOU STILL CANT PLAY GBA on it.. the DSi and DSi XL were nice except for the fact that a camera on a gb was as a original as a psp with one.. and whats worse is the mp are lower then my phone. until my Lite dies and i cant find a new one anywhere then i will buy one. till then nintendo will not see another dollar from me for a new system.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HandsomeDead

They're pretty lame and have no games.

nindoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nindoten

1- games.
    2- games.
    3- games.
    zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By zor

Price and Battery life, those are the two main issues that i have with the system right now. That, and i am waiting for the 3DS lite/advance/whatever they'll call the new model.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.