Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo's Next Console Is Called the Nintendo Switch

BLipp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cloudymusic said:

@jakelshark said:

I don't know why people are already concerned about battery life. Nintendo has a killer track record with battery life

The Wii U gamepad and original 3DS both have pretty notoriously poor battery life.

Plus the Gamepad and 3DS have low resolution screens. The screen on the Switch has to at least be 1080p, and if the screen part is what's housing the rest of the components of the console, which it would have to be to be able to take it out, away from the dock, then that means there's going to be even less room for a reasonably sized battery.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am very into this. Hope it all pans out.

OrangeLadBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Skyrim on a cart in 2017 seems like a really strange mind game.

Tomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Tomac

I wonder if undocking the tablet turns the dock off. The folks in the video just walk away without turning the dock (or their TV for that matter) off.

And i suppose, does docking the tablet turn the dock station on automatically?

Or is the dock always on and simply switches to a low power mode, ala PS4/Xbox One rest mode? This seems most likely.

What a curious thing.

The way the dock works might end up being a pain for folks who have their consoles in a tight fitting entertainment system.

tiffanytryhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure didn't expect Skyrim to be featured so heavily, but OK. If this thing works like it should it might be pretty cool.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Sign me up!

Tomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nagafen: It would be hard to use a touch screen when it's sitting on the dock across the room.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It is funny how basically all the details of the Nintendo Switch other than the name and the games had basically already leaked but Nintendo was seemingly still really worried that someone would steal their idea if they announced it too soon. Which was also the reason that they didn't show the FLUDD waterpack the first time they showed Mario Sunshine.

I mean Nintendo has a reason to be paranoid that someone is going to steal their ideas but it is often unwarranted. I mean their partner Nvidia basically already has devices that fit into the same console / portable hybrid space, the Nvidia Shield.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomac: Everyone expects a Touch Screen and it's also a handheld, it also means games like Mario Maker are impossible on it..

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drekly:

People who like modern Nintendo games?/ Anyone who bought a GC, DS, 3DS or WiiU basically.

As someone who hasn't regretted never getting a Wii or WiiU I can't help but be kinda optimistic about this one. Not to say it's an 'insta-buy' or anything but it looks WAAAY more promising than the WiiU AND a better handheld than the 3DS ever was.

No reason for doom and gloom.

DnoFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, I am in the minority, having both Wii U and 3DS (two of them to be precise), but I do LOVE the Switch concept. Mainly, because when playing Wii U games on gamepad I just wished I could get that stuff with me in the crapper. And when I was playing 3DS games, I just always wished it was a tad better graphically and a tad bigger (I did not have XL). So I guess the target auditory is ME. For the record, I am a not a millenial, I am just a 80-90s PC gamer, who did not have enough money for consoles before 3DS.

Subscryber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fetch me a Switch, boy.

(We're going to play Mario Kart and then get ice cream after!)

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

If Nintendo puts all their new games on this thing, awesome. If they're still putting out exclusive games for the 3DS, it'll be a lot less appealing for me.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Playstation TV and a PS Vita in one package! What could possibly go wrong!?

HAHA, yeah...

It will probably have games people want to play though :P

*goes off and secretly hugs my Vita*

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really would like to like this thing but unfortunately I probably will never get to use it due to severe arthritis in my hands making it nearly impossible to hold a controller for more than a few minutes at a time the idea is very promising but I don't think that Endo has made a good product for 20-plus years at this point the last thing I truly cared about was the Super Nintendo since then it's been downhill

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomac: You have to be able to sit that thing horizontally and dock the tablet in the front, right?

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#267  Edited By paulunga

Yeah, I'm getting this. I already own a Wii U and a 3DS and I carry the 3DS with me constantly. Having my big screen games on the go sounds lovely. I'm not too worried about the software support either. I have tons of great 3DS games and while the Wii U library I own is small (13 games), every single one of those titles is high quality. Nintendo always delivers enough great games of their own that the only system I've ever skipped of theirs since the NES was the N64.

I just have one request: Please make a new Animal Crossing.

johnseminario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has potential. As someone who purchased both a Vita and 3DS in the past, having a Nintendo console on the go that acts as a single console/handheld hybrid seems really cool. Hopefully they deliver on the games, though, considering we've seen firsthand that Nintendo games, while obviously super high in quality, aren't enough to support a whole console. Also curious to see what the online situation is going to be this time around, and just how complicated the controller situation is going to be. Can I bring a pro controller to a friend's house and connect straightaway or what? Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

I can't see myself ever using its mobile feature but seems like a smarter design than the U was.

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just want to play fire emblem and monster hunter in higher fidelity and that they get ported down to the 3ds and not the other way around.

TheRealDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That right side thumbstick looks like its in a position that's really uncomfortable.

SCheeseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By SCheeseman

Should be noted that the Tegra X1 (which this is presumably based on) has the capability to encode MPEG4 video streams with very little overhead, which makes me wonder if they could pull a reverse WiiU and add the capability to connect to the dock via WiFi and use the TV as a second screen. This would give the 2 screen capability required of many 3DS and WiiU games.

wightlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is powerful enough that 3rd parties can bring their games to the console functionally unaltered but with graphics settings turned down. I'd consider buying Mass Effect: Andromeda (also releasing March 2017) for example, on the NS if it were available. Simply for the portability and the fact that I could buy it on a cartridge. And if Nintendo can get their account system in order, and offer some kind of achievement system, I'd be completely sold. I'm cautiously optimistic about this thing and hope they release more technical details soon. I'll be buying it regardless because I want to play Nintendo games, but it would be great a great feeling to want to play 3rd party titles on a Nintendo console again.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not really keen of how the tablet sits in the dock with a 1/2 inch of the screen poking out - I look ahead to the potential complaints (and/or poorly put together meme attempts) from people about how their tablet has a sorta-permanently reoccurring thumbprint int he upper part of the tablet thing.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Looks about as powerful as the Wii U, hope they still release games on both.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These people are SO happy. It's like they're playing video games for the first time.

In all seriousness, if everything works as advertised this seems like a smart play for Nintendo. The Wii U was the first generation of Nintendo consoles that I skipped so I'll probably end up getting this.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks pretty cool and I'll definitely pre order when it becomes available. I wonder if that 3D Mario game will either be a launch title or within the launch window.

Tomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickrockmann: Horizontal, maybe. But that would make it harder to remove and insert the tablet. And it looks like the tablet has to sit inside.

In fact, it looks like it's intended to be positioned with the long way facing you, so that you can easily slide in the controllers with both hands and then lift it.

I think if it had any touch or dual screen functionality, they would have shown that.

Avatar image for genocidalkitten
    GenocidalKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like there are a bunch of interesting use cases for this thing, but I feel like if I were to buy one, I would be trying to use it in different situations for, like a week, and then it would just sit under my TV for the vast majority of the time after that. It would feel like having some crazy 30 attachment Swiss army knife and then it turns out you never use it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much cringe in that video.

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What???
    What???

Interesting design, though I am curious why they chose the name "Switch". Just imagine calling your friends up and asking if they would like to play with your new Switch. Not a fan of the name at all to be honest. There is still a lot of unknowns yet about the system, and how long does Nintendo plan on making us wait until we get the complete picture of what this console is?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#283  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@scheeseman: this is the main feature I'm wondering whether or not will be available. I still think this concept is a great one that gives the Nintendo library a lot of opportunities to be unique, which is what they want. If this feature is present, I'm likely to buy my first Nintendo console since forever; if not, I'm back on the fence.

Also: eSporrrtssss, maaaannn!

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drekly: It's for those who want first party Nintendo games. At least that's why I'm interested.

Subscryber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Subscryber
    @pabba said:

I have an important Giant Bomb editing style guide question! Why is "Is" capitalized in the title when "the" isn't?

That's standard style. "Is" is a verb, which is capitalized in a title. "The" is an article, which is not capitalized, unless it's the first word. At least I think. Or "Is Called" is a verb. It's kind of a weird one.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Rasrimra

This actually looks fun and interesting. The hardware I mean. When are Sony and Microsoft going to make something interesting?

Avatar image for lightlysalted85
    LightlySalted85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#287  Edited By LightlySalted85

Can we kindly stop using the term millennials like it means something. A "millennial" could be anyone born from 1980 to 2000. Some claim its anyone reaching adulthood around the 2000s - if people cannot even decide what it formerly means then its a non-word that can't be accurately used to describe anything.

In reality the term is bullshit as it means nothing. I'm different from other people born in 1985, and I could be very similar to someone born in 1994. My sister was born in 1984 and shes smarter and more mature than most people I know that are her age. Technically she could still be classed as a millennials. I have friends who believe in marriage and settlings down, buying property, and I have friends who couldn't give a rats arse about doing that. It's a poor term for any writer to use as it segregates people even if you are being ironic.

On subject, I love the look of the Switch. I really like what my 3DS offers, however I don't commute, and I barely travel anywhere, so it gets limited use. I visit friends and family a lot and take my PS4/360 with me. Nintendo's plan to bring together the two audiences is great.

P.S. Yes I am Andrew Ryan.

SCheeseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By SCheeseman

@flashflood_29: Same. If this capability isn't included it's a huge missed opportunity. It's not like it'd be expensive, embedded ARM SoCs with Wifi and MPEG4 decoding cost virtually nothing and they'd only be saving a few cents per unit at the cost of removing the ability to sell a fair chunk of their back catalog.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is the poartable part considered portable. It looks way too big for that. Unless you're always carrying a big bag. It doesn't look pocket friendly. So it's a console with a bulky VitaPad where things disconnects left and right into smaller pieces. Unless they have a real gem of a game on that system, I don't see myself getting it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a "Shut up and take my money" moment for me.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By warpr

This thing looks cool (and I'm obviously getting one :), but messing with that Joy-Con Grip seems like it would get tedious real quick. Hopefully you can just hook up two pro controllers (for those with the money to get them) and use those when connected to a TV, and never bother with the Joy-Cons.

(also the pro controller seems to have a normal D-Pad, which the Joy-Con L doesn't)

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@pezen said:

How is the poartable part considered portable. It looks way too big for that. Unless you're always carrying a big bag. It doesn't look pocket friendly. So it's a console with a bulky VitaPad where things disconnects left and right into smaller pieces. Unless they have a real gem of a game on that system, I don't see myself getting it.

Portable in the same way an iPad is portable.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By MezZa

@rasrimra: they're too busy trying to find a way to keep their hardware up to date with computers to go too crazy and interesting sadly.

SCheeseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hells: Pee Ess Four, Ecks Bone, Pee Cee, Steam, Dee Ess.

Wii

Wii ewe

Every name is stupid until you start saying it more and then it doesn't really matter.

Hilts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

That poor neglected dog. What a piece of shit that bloke is!

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#296  Edited By berfunkle

I passed on the Wii U but this I may get.

Actually this is a good path for Nintendo to take rather than engage in a hardware arms race with PCs, Microsoft and Sony.

primebacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like a right direction for Nintendo to take with their new console so that is good. On a personal note I am not very excited about it. I don't do much gaming on the go and I think my New3DS and phone are enough to keep me busy should I ever become bored or have too much free time left over.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to know how they could be running Skyrim on this thing, especially if it's the remaster. That game is a resource hog on consoles, I can only imagine what its like on a tablet, that needs to have more than an hour of battery life.

Cool concept but I am incredibly skeptical that they can pull any of this off.

kippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By kippers

I've struggled to find a way of incorporating portable gaming into my life for a long time now. (Since leaving school about 7 years ago, bascially). I'm just never in a position where I think to myself 'Oh you know what I need to be doing now whilst I'm waiting for X...Playing a game'.

It is looking interesting though, and as I only had a Wii very briefly and never went with the U, I'd be excited to get back into a Nintendo console. It would probably never leave its unit though.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

@ungodly said:

This looks cool, and I hope they bring in higher grade hand held stuff. I would love to have a better looking Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter.

Also anyone born in 1982 to 2004, are millennials. Just in case some of my fellow 34 year old are using the term, without realizing.

Don't remind me. I have no desire to be counted in with that crowd. This is why I tell everyone I'm 36 (I'm 32). Anyone one younger can get off my lawn.

Really? Thank god I escaped by a year. I managed to escape any tag I suppose, as I'm not considered an X'er either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.