Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

What Will No Man's Sky retail for?

• 174 results
    Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@kcin: It's not how game makers price games, but it's how many people buy them.

I don't know though. If it's going to be $80 (in canada) I need to know more than just a videos of landing on planets and shooting rocks, so this will likely not be a preorder for me.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: Yes, but saying that $60 isn't a fair price is different than saying this game isn't worth $60 to me. This game (so far) doesn't seem like it'll be worth $60 to me, either, but I'm not going to say that the game shouldn't be priced $60.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kcin: I do think that most people do recognize that. But an investment does not mean that the product reflects that worth. Some people might not feel that the the package is worth it for them for that price.
    That is still first and foremost about value proposition. As consumers we should not be concerned with the cost, but if they asking price is too high for the market to accept it!

I feel that is just a shitty excuse. That is not saying that not enough people don't take that into account. But that also should not be a consideration for the consumer if he want to pay the full price. It might give a deeper look into why a dev or a publisher priced it that way. So if one was making the argument they are trying to swindle people out of money or asking an unfair price that is a different discussion!

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

$60 is a steal based on everything we know about this game, which is far more than people like to give credit for.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, whatever, don't buy it if it isn't worth it to you. I am not arguing that it should be worth it to you, and I myself won't buy it because it won't be worth it to me. However, there are people who feel that the pricing is objectively incorrect, or is unfair. I am stating that the pricing is FAIR and is CORRECT, not that it is what you personally feel comfortable paying. Cost of production and cost of product complexity absolutely affects cost of the product, whether or not the product seems 'worth it' to you, personally. This seems fair to me given what the product is, and to many, it will be worth it. Just not me, and apparently not you either.

If it isn't worth it to you (or me) then we are not truly enthused about this product - we are just curious, and curious people wait for discounts. Which is what I will also do.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

What part of this game ever seemed like an "indie" game besides the size of the development team? Completely ridiculous that people would complain about this costing the same amount as every other game, especially if everything promised about the game is true.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#157  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@onarum: "Endless gameplay?" What exactly is this suppose to even mean, really? All we know is you go from planet to planet collecting resources and you name stuff along the way. Oh yeah, and you have a gun and a spaceship to fire at things and pirates. If anything, the gameplay loop looks like the most shallow part of the game and just because you can do these few thigs endlessly doesn't make it any deeper. I can do Rogue Legacy runs endlessly as well.

And you said it yourself, they "released the absolutely least amount of information possible so we can discover ourselves." You're banking on there being more to the gameplay than what we've seen where as I clearly stated my opinion was based off of only "what we've seen." Which was just that, my opinion off of the value I find for myself. I said it was too steep for me from what I saw, based on what I like. Clearly there are plenty of people that find $60 a good price because they like enough of what they've seen.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@milkman said:

What part of this game ever seemed like an "indie" game besides the size of the development team?

Being independent.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@beachthunder: Unless you think the fact that they're independent means they should charge less for their game for some reason, I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

$60 is a steal based on everything we know about this game, which is far more than people like to give credit for.

But we barely know anything about it? I hate to be a pessimist but a studio that small make claims this big is not something that realistically goes hand in hand. I don't doubt the game will do what they say it does, meaning make these infinitely large universes that take forever to explore, but I'm pretty sure the way it will go about it will be a lot more limited than we all imagine.

I hope they prove me wrong and the game is truly groundbreaking in every way, but I just can't imagine how this can possibly work out. Huge triple A studios that have exponentially larger teams and budgets struggle to make compelling open world games that encapsulate a single city at a time. I just don't see it..

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

last year (when this thread was created) i would have said $40, and been super sure about it. but The witness was $40, and super hot is $30. so i think this thing is going to hit $50 or $60 easily.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think $60 seems worth it, assuming the best possible outcome, which is that the gameplay mechanics interesting, and that the average planet is actually worth exploring. The fact that little of the basic gameplay loop has been shown makes me worried that it will actually be fairly bare bones in terms of mechanics, and the fact that the planets are procedural makes me worried that the vast majority of them will be boring. I think they've even said that the vast majority of planets will be lifeless rocks.

Basically, the game needs to actually have interesting content, not just lots of content. If it does, then $60 dollars seems very reasonable.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Right now, the game is worth $0 because it isn't out yet.

What it's theoretically worth once it comes out is "what someone will pay for it."

What it will actually be worth to me is going to depend on reviews.

That sound sensible to everyone? Yes?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@milkman said:

@beachthunder: Unless you think the fact that they're independent means they should charge less for their game for some reason, I don't see what that has to do with anything.

It doesn't, and it's a good thing that this, and other recent releases, are dispelling the vague feeling that all "indie" games should be 10-20 bucks.

It's exciting!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was ready to pay 60 bucks when it first got revelead at the VGX awards, and I still am. This game looks like it can click with me like Minecraft clicked with others.

It might not be a 60 dollar game for everyone, and that's fine, but people that are pretty much DEMANDING it to be lower, or more grossly, 15 bucks because it's an "Indie" game are straight up gross and need to catch up with the current times. @dannyodwyer tweeted some great things defending Hello Game's and whatever they decide to price it at.

Also tomorrow morning we might know more! 4 Questions About No Man's Sky just popped on the "Coming Soon" tab and I CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Giant Bomb videos on this game. So far, I'm not sold. All the promises made by Hello Games seem almost outlandish, but I hope they pull it off. The number of planets in a game like this means little if there isn't plenty to do on them or they aren't populated or generated well. A prime example of this is Elite: Dangerous. I know it's not the best comparison, but there is a game that touts billions of planets, which there are, but they're all lifeless rocks that look more or less the same.

My biggest concern about No Man's Sky isn't the price, it's whether or not there is enough compelling gameplay to keep me interested and occupied.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Ive been thinking a lot about this since its been brought up in so many VR conversations and they didnt really promise anything more than a lot of planets. Im really worried that peoples impression that this needs to be more of a "video game" has pushed them to flesh out systems that werent meant to be the focus. I think this was going to be a run around scanning shit and the more shit you scanned the farther your ship could go game, and now its minecraft-y space sim-y.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

Right now, the game is worth $0 because it isn't out yet.

What it's theoretically worth once it comes out is "what someone will pay for it."

What it will actually be worth to me is going to depend on reviews.

That sound sensible to everyone? Yes?

Very.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: This is my view on it too and I also draw the Elite Comparison. Elite has tonnes of content, it's just that content isn't very good. NMS promises tonnes of content but more content isn't always the best thing (see most Ubi-games). It's why I haven't picked up Superhot yet, I wish there was more curated content in it. The endless mode doesn't sound fun to me. The puzzles sound fun.

I hope they pull it off, but right now based on what I've seen and my reservations that the content will be plentiful but dull I can't see myself getting it for the price they're asking.

Avatar image for theps2collector
    ThePS2Collector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By ThePS2Collector

Steam and GOG have opened pre-orders for No Man's Sky.

It is $60.

Alongside digital releases, there will also be a retail version on PS4 as well as limited, and pricier ($150), PC edition available from iam8bit.

KaDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, thankfully it's not 79.99 CAD. Hopefully though it won't do what fallout 4 did and up the price like a month before launch.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

Appropriate pricing is such a contextualized, individual criteria that I think generalized statements either way on the subject are kind of silly. Like, I really liked Cibele. I really liked The Beginner's Guide. Do I think people should buy those games if they have limited finances to put toward gaming and want a game that is going to last one hundred hours? Hell no. Simultaneously, do I want to hear those people screaming in my ear that those games are somehow damaging the industry? Hell no.

Is No Man's Sky worth $60? It depends. If it offers the amount of interesting gameplay that they've been suggesting, there's a good chance it will be. I think we need to see some reviews of it before any of us can judge the game's value proposition. Rejecting the $60 price tag because the game comes from Hello Games and not Naughty Dog or EA is pretty silly.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Arabes

Good write up in Kotaku

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/03/you-can-do-much-more-than-fly-around-in-no-mans-sky

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just assumed $60. It's interesting people were as low as $20 on their estimates.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There may be more to no man's sky than what they showed, but 60 bucks for a finely tuned procedural generation mechanic is alot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.