Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No One Lives Forever

Franchise »

No One Lives Forever is a first-person shooter series set in the '60s starring female super spy Cate Archer. The games are known for their humorous tone.

You can play the NOLF series for free now. It's a simple download and you're ready to go.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

And it seems to be fine by Monolith considering they're the ones (on their Facebook page) that pointed me toward it when I had told them that I had never played the first and had always wanted to. Check it out if you're interested. They were, and perhaps still are really good games. Perhaps too archaic now, I don't know, but I'm definitely going to go through the first game. I am unsure as to whether the entire game runs flawlessly, but I installed it in a minute and then started watching the first cutscene and into gameplay really soon after. It's made to run on modern systems. The game does run in full screen, but the main menu is boxed and maybe not so easy to see for some.

Here it is.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

This is awesome, they're very high on my list of games I still need to play.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOLF2, at least in 1920 x 1080 seems to cut some of the text off in the options menu as well as the text that comes in during cutscenes, otherwise, it runs perfectly fine.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
    SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yessssssssssssss!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing I notice is that, and maybe it's just me here, but in the first game dialogue at the end or near the end of the majority of sentences are skipped, so I recommend turning on subtitles. It sounds like characters are rudely interrupting one another. It doesn't ruin it, but it's an issue. If anyone has any fixes for any of the things you find, or what I mentioned, please post them.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Cool that monolith is okay with it. I used this to play through both NOLF games earlier this year and they're great games.

NOLF1 has no huge issues, NOLF2 required some twiddling to get the menu & the text on screen in a proper fashion.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have physical copies of both games, but guess I should download these for easier access. Maybe I’ll finally try Contract Jack one day, even if I recall it being called boring and too focused on action, which really wasn’t the main draw of NOLF.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished the first game. I really liked it. I don't remember what year I went through the second game, but I think it was around the time of its release so I don't remember every little detail about it and I am going to go through it again now. I recommend people play them.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: yes, if it’s the version that has been around for a year or so, get it. It includes patches that make it run on modern OSs. I found this a year or two ago after trying and failing to get the oiroginal NOLF to run on Windows 10.

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Another thing I notice is that, and maybe it's just me here, but in the first game dialogue at the end or near the end of the majority of sentences are skipped, so I recommend turning on subtitles. It sounds like characters are rudely interrupting one another. It doesn't ruin it, but it's an issue. If anyone has any fixes for any of the things you find, or what I mentioned, please post them.

Doesn't really help you anymore since you already beat it, but if someone else have this problem. To fix it you will need to force vsync on from the drivers. Also if you have screen with high refresh rate ( >60Hz), you'll have to set that rate to 60 Hz.

Because the game has some kind of framesync problem if it's running over 60 fps, and you'll get this cutscene clipping.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@mmzone: Actually, maybe I did it wrong, but I tried that 'fix' and it didn't work. I checked PCGamingwiki to see how to fix it, which is where you can find the solution. Playing NOLF2, there's an issue with the text not fitting onto the screen at 1920 x 1080, which sucks but not game ruining. I think that's a problem with running it in widescreen; not sure if there's a fix for it.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravey

I don't think the NOLF games are good. Good concept, poor execution.

But I love that 2000 was a year of first-person, action-adventure games with female protagonists. I liked the subtlety of Medal of Honor 2: Underground; the boldness of Perfect Dark; and the self-awareness of NOLF.

For me, that was one of the two most interesting parts of NOLF. The games are a bit of a commentary, they have some thoughtful conversations, and then they have the silly set-piece moments, the cheesy humour, the varied environments, and the traditional arsenal of interesting gadgets that some shooters had back then.

I just don't think they're very good games. I felt like the level design was generally poor. The combat was average. What passed for stealth gameplay was very poor. The intermittent tutorial sections were unnecessary. The adventure game bits were a bit tedious. And the story was uninspired. Ugh.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I was pretty impressed with the enemies dialog in NOLF. I remember 2 criminals talk for 5 minutes about correlation & causality, how being virtuous asks for people to take sacrifices & why hedonism is discouraged by religion & governments. The criminal ended it with an introspective description of his youth and how it has shaped him towards the criminal that he is now.

And it's just very funny overall. The main enemy's demands are 5 million pound sterling, ownership of australia and a national holiday that's the 'Praise be to H.A.R.M. day. Better demands than Dr Evil! Code phrases are bad pick up lines that Cate shoots down and then the operatives are like ughh.. tell the guy who created these code phrases to grow up. 'What kind of imbecile would say stuff like this. Don't take these words as if they come from me. I am disgusted by them. I must return home now and clean myself with soap. ' I was genuinely bummed out if i triggered an alarm because that meant i would miss out on some of those conversations. Also there's this business man that plays games 5 days in the week, but keeps friday 11 AM till 11.15 AM open for business appointments.

And the environments just hit that Austin Powers / Evil Genius idea of what a criminal organisation is like. Secret bases in volcano's, hidden vaults, drawbridges across a sharkpool. It's glorious. NOLF2 is a worse game, but still has enough charm to make it a fun game to go through. They grouped levels around more open hub area's that made the game feel like a maze at times. It often didn't do much with the connected nature of these levels neither. Apart from the opening snow level where you prepare for your escape in earlier levels and then during the escape see all your previous actions have an impact. Sadly, other levels don't really have such a nice payoff. That game also has a terrible spawnpoint problem in indoor levels. Enemies will just keep spawning in the same rooms whenever you move 2 rooms away from one. Combined with the maze-like nature of some of those levels, i had to kill the same dudes like 10 times before finding the exit at some points. The enemies move in a very floaty kind of way as well, making it real hard to hit them compared to NOLF 1. And it just doesn't run as easily as NOLF1.

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravey

@onemanarmyy: That's fair. I think the feminist humour is a bit on the nose, but I can appreciate the contrast between the stupidity and rashness of a lot of the henchmen, and the occasional shrewdness you come upon by eavesdropping. It's quite funny. It's just a shame that they're so eager to cut those conversations short and don't give you time to listen, think or act intelligently or creatively like you could in games like Thief and Deus Ex.

I think it's a nice touch how the game rewards you for acting professionally towards your pigheaded boss and withholds the reward and scolds you if you're pigheaded back at them. It's just sad that (spoiler) their behaviour doesn't change over time based on your choices, and the game tries to overcome its weaknesses with fictional excuses. Flaws in how characters and enemies behave, and the fact that the game is really a spy-themed action game and not a good stealth game, are written off as foreshadowing, and they try to justify the frustrating trial-and-error gameplay with narrative stakes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.