Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Octopath Traveler

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 13, 2018

A role-playing game developed exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. Throughout the adventure, the player can recruit eight different heroes, each with their own unique storyline.

Some thoughts and some questions

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sombre

Hey there!

So I’ve been playing this game so far and totally loving it! It looks breathtaking, it sounds great, and the core gameplay loop is also mega fun. I started with Cyrus, then went westwards to pick up Ophelia, then Haanit, then just picked up Therion. I think Cyrus is my favourite with how he covers four weaknesses so far, but I like the rest of them as well. But I guess this is where my questions come in : How does the game seemingly balance itself so well?

I’ve found combat to be really engaging, and also pretty difficult. It’s gotten much more manageable since getting all 4 party members, but the bosses are still a decent challenge.

But how does the game balance itself so effectively? If I took on the boss of Therions Ch.1, I’d have gotten hammered, but I covered all his weaknesses with a full party. It’s not just the party balance though, it’s the levels too. On the way to Bolderfell, I ran into a “Cait” which boosted me ten levels instantly. So now I have the first Two chars at level 15, and the next two relatively low.

Does the game just add/remove stuff based on where you are in the game?

Btw if anyone has any advice for me five hours in, please share!

kamikawa4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kamikawa4

I'm about 20 hours in, have all 8 characters and have completed chapter 2 for 2 characters. As you progress to new areas the "recommended" level goes up and it gets hard. The chapter 2 bosses were rough and took a lot of time to beat.

An issue I am having is that I have stuck with 4 main characters and have not been switching people out. This has allowed my core team of 4 to get to around level 30 while the guys on the bench are around under level 12. This becomes a problem when I need to bring one of the bench characters up for their chapter 2 story and they are severely under level. I'm starting Primrose's chapter 2 which has a recommended level of 22 and she is only level 9. She will level up quickly as my other teammates are over leveled for this chapter and can support her, but she will be one-shotted by the boss of this chapter easily.

Not sure how this will work out or if I just need to be better about swapping characters out occasionally. But with the ability for characters to take on 2 jobs it would seem like there would be little reason to swap. Or maybe there's some in-game item that will help with all this.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The game scales enemy levels for all chapter 1s as you go. They get harder and regular fights add more enemies. I don't think it continues scaling at chapter 2 and beyond but it does have different recommended levels for them so you could still go through and start with the lowest level recommended chapter 2 and go from there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.