Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ōkami

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 18, 2006

Ōkami is an action-adventure game in which the goddess Amaterasu restores life and beauty to a world that has been taken over by malevolent beings through the power of celestial calligraphy techniques.

Okami HD is now on Steam

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jagerxbomb

Just a heads up, Okami HD remaster is on Steam, and from the reviews it's actually a good port

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good amount of the Steam reviews say otherwise.

There are issues with tabbing, controller support, and worst of all it's capped at 30fps.

It's a PS2 era game! lol

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neurogia: Aw man, really? I was hoping this port would be a good version for my girlfriend to play :(

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HugoBossk

Part of me says 30 fps isn't a bad thing, since that's how the game has always been. But another part of me refuses to play 30 fps on my PC.

Will buy PS4 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the steam reviews are positive. Its sitting at 93% positive right now. There are issues, like it being 30 fps locked, a controller bug, and a tab issue, but other than that people are enjoying it. I'm hoping to play some tonight.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the game logic isn't tied to the framerate, so we can get an OkamiFix patch from Durante.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: I've sunk a few hours into it so far. It seems fine to me. Running it at 4K on my 1080 and haven't had any issues. It would be nice if the game ran at 60FPS or higher, but I suspect there's stuff in the code that's tied to framerate, similar to how weapon durability calculations were tied to framerate in Dark Souls 2. I wouldn't write it off immediately.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okami is great. Really fucking great. You should buy it.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the game logic isn't tied to the framerate, so we can get an OkamiFix patch from Durante.

From what I've seen floating around the net, it seems like aspects of the game being tied into the framerate is the primary reason they didn't push it to 60. I'm no programmer, so I don't know if that's something that will be addressed by modders at some point.

Game ain't bad at 30, though.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TuxedoCruise

@millaj: Thanks for the heads up.

It is a little unfortunate to hear. I prefer real-time or action games at 60 FPS or uncapped.

Okami is pretty forgiving though, and the combat doesn't require strict timing precision. So I'm enjoying my time with it regardless of the frame cap.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@millaj Capcom themselves wrote about it.

“We actually experimented with 60FPS and uncapped frame rate mode, but unfortunately it breaks the game logic, collision detection, and animation speed in certain areas of the game. The reality is that it would take a Herculean effort, time, and cost to manually fix and QA by trial and error since we’re working with legacy code from PlayStation 3 that was originally intended with 30FPS in mind.”

I'm going to grab this later this week for PS4. I only tried it briefly on PS2 before other games took over, so I'm looking forwards to giving it a proper shot. Helps that it'll probably look gorgeous in 4K.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tuxedocruise: Yeah Okami is extremely forgiving if I remember correctly. Because the food pouch resurrects you and is so easy to refill it's almost hard to game over at many points.

I might have to get this. I was hoping for 60fps because it would be nice to see that fluid water color style running at 60, but 20 bucks is still a good price point for this.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't support 21:9 either.. that's a bummer, I'll wait till someone figures a way to do that before buying, I can deal with 30 FPS, but not 16:9 anymore I'm afraid, this ultrawide monitor sure spoiled me.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Casepb

@onarum: I'm also waiting for WSGF to find a tweak for 21:9. I can deal with 16:9 for now, but what I'm really having a hard time dealing with is the motion blur. It's pretty damn strong and really affects me more than I thought it would on PC. On consoles I barely even noticed it, I guess due to less clarity. So hopefully someone finds a tweak to disable the motion blur soon. Other than that though the port is very well done. I don't get how people are having controller issues, it detected my dualshock 4 immediately and I don't even mind the 30fps. Anyone hoping the game will work in 60fps will be disappointed though. The game was coded specifically to work in 30. Capcom said they tried 60 and it broke a lot of things.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: Damn, that sounds rough, motion blur is pretty much the first thing I disable for any game, hope they find a way to deal with that too.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxedocruise: I know what you mean; I want 60 minimum in pretty much everything. But yea, I feel like the designers did a good job of making the game around that cap. I enjoyed it a lot on the PS2 and still occasionally pop it into PCSX2.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of me says 30 fps isn't a bad thing, since that's how the game has always been. But another part of me refuses to play 30 fps on my PC.

Will buy PS4 version.

I never played this game, but its always interested me. May have to check it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isn't the PS3 version 60fps?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okami is one of the best games on the PS2. I picked up the PS3 version as well, played through some of it but moved on (Much like Shadow of the Colossus). It's a beautiful, and long, game that, as much as I love it, I cannot see myself playing through the entire thing again. If you're playing it for the first time with this release, get ready for some solid Zelda-like gaming and an incredibly fun time.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of those games that you put on to just take you away from all the stress and hardships of real life. Such a beautiful game.... and that soundtrack!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

The best non-zelda zelda game .

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee: You definitely should. If you like Zelda-ish games it's one of the best ever. Literally the only complaint I can level against it is it's a bit too long. But that's hardly a complaint because it maintains a very consistent level of quality

ilserpente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bdead: Nope, the PS3 version ran at 30, as well. Much like Dark Souls, the frame rate is tied to the game logic, and turning it up will break things. It'll be interesting to see what modders do with it. Depending on how the game is coded, turning it up to 60 may only result in minor instabilities, or it could completely break the game.

Regardless, I'm glad Japanese devs finally seem to out of the habit of tying frame rate to important game logic. Obviously it didn't matter if you didn't plan on porting to PC, but nowadays it's a really bad idea.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jesus pleasus, some people do like their 60 frames. I'll buy it on a sale, I don't mind the 30 FPS limit. Kind of knew this would happen, too much time would have to be spent on fixing the collision and game logic issues.

CaptainBlueSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okami is such a special game. If you haven't given it a shot, please do!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Will buy PS4 version.

I've never understood comments like this. Yeah the 30 fps cap sucks, but how is playing it on PS4 instead where it has the same framerate any different? The only difference is in five years you'll have to buy the PS5 port or dig out your old PS4 to play it again instead of having a PC version that'll run on your current OS forever.

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HugoBossk

@TechnoSyndrome: Well in my case, if both versions are the same I always go with my PS4. Due to the way my stuff is arranged, playing PS4 is more comfortable, with a bigger screen, and some other benefits. I mostly use my PC on games where the PC version is better, which means I mainly play PC.

I didn't mean to sound unreasonable, and yeah I get where you're coming from. But other than the convenience factor as you mentioned, I don't really have any incentive to choose PC over PS4.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Casepb

If anyone was curious it is possible to play the game in ultra wide resolutions. Someone at WSGF is working on it right now and making some progress. Also I found out that the canvas filter effect is causing a type of motion blur, which is also able to be completely disabled. The game looks pretty great without the canvas effect and with ultra wide.

Example from WSGF.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.