Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

One Piece: Pirate Warriors

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 01, 2012

A One Piece game in the style of Dynasty Warriors. Play as the fearless Monkey D. Luffy and crew as they venture across the Grand Line in order to achieve Luffy's dream of finding Gol D. Roger's fabled treasure, the One Piece, and becoming the Pirate King.

So this game is coming out this week.

• 56 results
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

Judging by the fact that this is the sole topic on the board I assume most aren't interested in it. >_>

Game looks fun. Won't be GOTY or anything, but as a One Piece fan it seems to hit the right notes. Just good, mindless action.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By betterboulder

As a big One Piece fan, I'm interested. Hopefully, I have room on my PS3.

lAte2partY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lAte2partY

I'm looking forward to it. Mindless fun sounds great.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kishinfoulux

I looked at the list of playable characters and I wish there were more. I was hoping you'd be able to play as some of the bad guys. Hopefully if there is a next game they will include more. Also still no idea on what the price is since it's digital download only.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Petiew

It's an alright game, it came out in Europe end of last week. Beating down thousands of enemies is fun but the game is filled with tedious quick time events.
    The story is decent, but skips out Jaya, Skypiea, Davy Back, Thriller Bark, etc. They really skimped on the game to be honest, so many characters aren't included and the "Another Log" mode is just a series of Musou modes not alternate stories like people seemed to think it would be.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I'm in the process of writing a review of it and as a Dynasty Warriors fan I enjoy it. The musou stages are pretty good, but the regular stages has a number of "platforming sections" which really just are quick time events. They probably included these to try and differentiate the gameplay, but it falls flat. Like somanyother tie-in games, it's paced in a way that plays out several key moments from the source material at great detail, but skips over a lot of the story, meaning that it ends up being somewhat confusing for people who haven't read the manga or watched the show.

If you are a One Piece fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Namco-Bandai has gotten really, really good at recreating manga and anime characters in 3D and there has been no form of censorship in the localization, which is Japanese language only.

Like pointed out, it would be nice if the "Another Log" mode had been like the "Dream Mode" of the Warriors games.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mesoian

I'm interested, but I also wanna know the price. There's a good chance this is going to be 50 bucks, and if it is, I'm not interested.

@Petiew said:

It's an alright game, it came out in Europe end of last week. Beating down thousands of enemies is fun but the game is filled with tedious quick time events. The story is decent, but skips out Jaya, Skypiea, Davy Back, Thriller Bark, etc. They really skimped on the game to be honest, so many characters aren't included and the "Another Log" mode is just a series of Musou modes not alternate stories like people seemed to think it would be.

So it skips the filler (and Skypiea and ThrillerBark)?

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Puchiko

Kinda disappointed Shanks isn't playable. Looking at the PSN update and no discount for this :(

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kishinfoulux

Anybody have any idea when PSN updates tomorrow?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Petiew
    @Mesoian: Well, Skypiea and Thriller Bark are the only major story arcs they skip out. The smaller ones are less noticable, since I suppose it'd be harder to create full scenarios for a lot of them. I wouldn't call Jaya or Davy Back Fight filler though, but Jaya and Skypiea could be counted as the one arc.

Off the top of my head there's no Alvida, Morgan, Syrup Village, Logue Town, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Jaya, Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Thriller Bark or Amazon Lilly. Main game lasts around 7 hours.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mesoian

@Petiew said:

@Mesoian: Well, Skypiea and Thriller Bark are the only major story arcs they skip out. The smaller ones are less noticable, since I suppose it'd be harder to create full scenarios for a lot of them. I wouldn't call Jaya or Davy Back Fight filler though, but Jaya and Skypiea could be counted as the one arc. Off the top of my head there's no Alvida, Morgan, Syrup Village, Logue Town, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Jaya, Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Thriller Bark or Amazon Lilly. Main game lasts around 7 hours.

Yeah, it's really strange. From what I understand, it's the most complex fighting system ever in a Mosou game, but it's also the shortest. Another reason why I'm worried about it being full price as a downloadable.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Mezmero

Oh my god I can't wait for tomorrow you guys. Currently the cartoon is incredible.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

What is the price?

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wchigo

@DarkbeatDK said:

I'm in the process of writing a review of it and as a Dynasty Warriors fan I enjoy it. The musou stages are pretty good, but the regular stages has a number of "platforming sections" which really just are quick time events. They probably included these to try and differentiate the gameplay, but it falls flat. Like somanyother tie-in games, it's paced in a way that plays out several key moments from the source material at great detail, but skips over a lot of the story, meaning that it ends up being somewhat confusing for people who haven't read the manga or watched the show.

If you are a One Piece fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Namco-Bandai has gotten really, really good at recreating manga and anime characters in 3D and there has been no form of censorship in the localization, which is Japanese language only.

Like pointed out, it would be nice if the "Another Log" mode had been like the "Dream Mode" of the Warriors games.

That makes me extremely happy to hear. I love One Piece but I hated the censorship and changes made to the manga by Viz when it was released in North America. This is why I purchased the first print of volumes 1-5 of the manga that correctly had his name as "Roronoa Zoro" before they changed it to "Roronoa Zolo". To an extent I understand why they changed it and having picked up some Japanese during my time watching loads of anime, I know there is essentially no difference in terms of pronunciation of the letters "L" and "R", but I suppose I am an "elitist snob" who can't cope with that change so I refused to buy the rest of the series as my own personal sign of protest (they do a fairly good job and I do support them in some of their other works, such as Fullmetal Alchemist).

I was, at the very least, hoping for a dual-audio option as I generally prefer Japanese voices in my Japanese media (I don't look down at those who enjoy English audio and many studios do a good job with their dubs like Square Enix and Atlus just to name a few) and I don't enjoy most of the voices in One Piece and Naruto, so this bit of news makes me very happy. A friend of mine bought the Japanese version of this and I put many hours into it hoping to get the Platinum trophy (I am two trophies shy!) but despite this I will probably pick this up. Maybe not right away as I am still working through my backlog, but I want to support Namco-Bandai in this so they will continue to do good work and bring games like these overseas.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have to import it because I don't want a digital copy.

Avatar image for blitzkriegjezus
    BlitzKriegJezus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlitzKriegJezus

I'd love to pick up this game, but I don't own a PS3. As a huge One Piece fan though, it makes me happy to know they kept the original Japanese voices. Oh, and the Davy Back Fight is totally filler...good filler, but still filler.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By DarthOrange

I remember playing that One Piece fighting game on the PS2, it was pretty fun. After following One Piece as it was coming out in the US, I stopped paying attention shortly after they got the reindeer to join the group. It became apparent to me that they were not going to find that damn treasure any time soon. Anybody know if it is close to finishing? I want to jump on board for the last couple of issues to see how it all turns out and what the hell that treasure actually was. I may give this game a try when (if) it drops to around 10-15 bucks.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishinfoulux

@SethPhotopoulos said:

What is the price?

I haven't seen any confirmation of one anywhere. I'm guessing $40-50.

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By laussica

Would have gotten it if they had offered it for less on psn, in aus it's $90 way too expensive

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Petiew
    @DarthOrange: I'll give you a call in around 15 years when it finishes! 

@Mesoian: Yeah the fighting system is fun. Moves are done with combinations of standard and area attacks, each character has unique attacks as well with the R1/R2 buttons. Hancock can turn enemies to stone, Usopp chucks out oil that you can place and blow up, stuff like that.
    You collect coins in battle that you equip to your character to increase their stats. But if you place them in a certain combination you unlock skills. Figuring out what coins to use from the Skill names is pretty fun if you're a series fan. I got a kick out of things like "Burn that flag" and "Stand up". 
    But apart from that the game is kind of bare bones, and I assume it'll be full price or close to it.

@BlitzKriegJezus: But it's in the manga, and leads into the themes of Water 7. Plus Afro Luffy is one of the greatest parts in the whole series!

@wchigo: Never understood the outrage at this really, apart from the one letter change there is very little censored.
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wchigo

@DarthOrange said:

I remember playing that One Piece fighting game on the PS2, it was pretty fun. After following One Piece as it was coming out in the US, I stopped paying attention shortly after they got the reindeer to join the group. It became apparent to me that they were not going to find that damn treasure any time soon. Anybody know if it is close to finishing? I want to jump on board for the last couple of issues to see how it all turns out and what the hell that treasure actually was. I may give this game a try when (if) it drops to around 10-15 bucks.

So far, there's no real indicators of the series ending any time soon.

@Petiew said:

@wchigo: Never understood the outrage at this really, apart from the one letter change there is very little censored.

Granted. Personally, for me it just doesn't look and feel right. As far as the Japanese go, they will look at that name and basically pronounce it the same way. However, for the English speaking crowd there is a difference between Zoro (Zhor-row) and Zolo (Zho-low). I would feel exactly the same way if they had changed his name to Monkey D. Ruffy.

My own personal psychosis, if you'll indulge me. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm outraged as I never wrote angry letters to Viz or joined the masses to complain on official message boards (this is the first time I've ever complained about it with people I didn't know in real life) or boycott all their products. As I said, I can understand the reason why they made the change and I still buy stuff from them as they generally do a good job, but just because I understand why they decided to change it does not mean I have to like it.

Often we're told to vote with our wallets, and this is my way of doing so. Sorry for the rant.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Can I play as that guy with the shark nose?

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Puchiko

For those interested in a disc based version, there is a CAG thread that has links to the European releases. The menus are in English and the disc is region free but the storefronts selling the game appear to be a bit shady based on comments on the thread. The german special edition comes with a 19cm replica of the Thousand Sunny which almost would make it worth it for me... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325162

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Puchiko

@ImmortalSaiyan Arlong? Hody Jones? Jinbe? Fisher Tiger? Just Jinbe has been confirmed I believe.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mezmero

@wchigo: The only reason the Zoro naming thing irked me is the fact that he's a swordsman. I always figured Oda meant it as a reference to the masked Latino swordsman Zorro but I could be completely off base with that. I only follow the cartoon so I have no opinion of the manga localization kerfuffle.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kishinfoulux

Just checked PSN and nothing so far. I feel like I'm going to be checking it all day and getting nothing until the last minute. Really wish Sony would have timely, punctual updates like Microsoft does.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Petiew
    @Mezmero: Yeah, the character is somewhat based on him. I believe it was changed to Zolo because of copyright issues Viz ran into.
    @kishinfoulux: PSN normally doesn't update until around 4pm over here, I assume it's similar in the US. Download is around 11Gb too.

@wchigo: It's fair enough to vote with your wallet and you can buy what you want. Not buying any of the books because of 1 letter just seems crazy to me though, probably because so many people do the same as you have. When I read the volumes I don't even register it as Zolo anymore.
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kishinfoulux

Oh god 11 gb on PSN is gonna take a week to download. >_>

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morrow

I'm a fan of the Dynasty Warriors franchise and had this game pretty high on my list until I read it's japanese audio only. That was quite a put-off in Warriors Orochi 3 since I S-ranked DW7 and grew a custom on the English voices. I also didn't have to read the subtitles, I could just listen.

On One Piece, I only watched some of the first episodes of the anime, the Arlong arc, and wasn't too impressed with it. I could never get used to the style. In 3D however, it looks more nifty and I wanted to give it a try. But right now, with Tales of Graces f still unfinished, it has to wait.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Morrow

@Petiew said:

@Mesoian: Well, Skypiea and Thriller Bark are the only major story arcs they skip out. The smaller ones are less noticable, since I suppose it'd be harder to create full scenarios for a lot of them. I wouldn't call Jaya or Davy Back Fight filler though, but Jaya and Skypiea could be counted as the one arc. Off the top of my head there's no Alvida, Morgan, Syrup Village, Logue Town, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Jaya, Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Thriller Bark or Amazon Lilly. Main game lasts around 7 hours.

Hell that's pretty short. Why couldn't they include more of the story? I'm a bit disappointed to hear this since the Bleach game also lacked a lot. Mostly playable characters and the unreleased versions of the Arrancar. I wish they'd put more effort into anime games.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By CaLe

I've watched exactly 498 episodes of One Piece, but I'm not interested in this. Too many other good games.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By scarace360

Hold on they skipped Skypiea and Thriller Bark. Now who will send Eneru to the moon!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@kishinfoulux said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

What is the price?

I haven't seen any confirmation of one anywhere. I'm guessing $40-50.

I was hoping they would Tokyo Jungle that shit.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mesoian

@Morrow said:

@Petiew said:

Hell that's pretty short. Why couldn't they include more of the story? I'm a bit disappointed to hear this since the Bleach game also lacked a lot. Mostly playable characters and the unreleased versions of the Arrancar. I wish they'd put more effort into anime games.

They used to....::sigh:: They used too...

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ninkendo

Been looking forward to this ever since it was announced in Japan. Searching PSN once an hour until I see it. Hopefully it'll be uploaded before the storefront updates.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kishinfoulux

@ninkendo said:

Been looking forward to this ever since it was announced in Japan. Searching PSN once an hour until I see it. Hopefully it'll be uploaded before the storefront updates.

That's my plan as well. Just checked now and still nothing. Apparently on their facebook page Namco said it's out. Apparently they don't realize that PSN hasn't updated yet.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#39  Edited By Mikey2D

@kishinfoulux: This came out last Friday in Europe. As a big fan of the show, i'm really liking the game. It's great to relive some of the classic moments from the show, the real epic moments - they've recreated some of them very well. The down side I feel is that the scope of this game just wasn't big enough to encompass all that I and all the other one piece fans out there wanted. I was disappointed to see many of the storylines overlooked - sure not all of them would work, but if its a game for the fans, i believe the fans would eat it up. There were a fair amount of missed opportunities - and Thriller Bark not being included was a big downer for me :(

Mix things up a little more - hell have some mini games. Have a navigation map, let us explore the seas. Throw in a cooking mini game, a chopper doctor simulation in which you have to care for the various crew mates. There were a lot of things that could have been.

But overall - as a fan of the show - its nice to get a one piece game and to spend some time with the crew :D - now lets get a one piece fighting game on par with that of the ultimate ninja storm franchise!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kishinfoulux

Game is OUT!!!

Do a search for "One Piece" and it'll show up. $50 as said before and 11 GB download. Currently downloading now.

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ninkendo

Yep downloading

I'll be back in 6 hours <___>

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#42  Edited By AdzPearson

Big fan of One Piece. I really enjoy the manga. It's absolutely nuts in parts and some of the characters are very outlandish...yet it's still possible to take it all seriously. That's how well done it is.

...no interest in this game, however. I find the Dynasty Warriors games repetitive as hell, so I don't see the One Piece flavour changing anything for me. Pretty much the same story with the Gundam games they did.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mezmero

Downloading as I type. Can not wait to dig into it. Kind of disappointed to hear that Thriller Bark will not be in the game but I'm still excited. I really hope the bomb crew doesn't do a quick look of this game. All they will end up doing is ravaging it for being anime even though the art style is way closer to American cartoons than anything. I'd imagine they'll also harsh it's gig for being a Dynasty Warriors game which is understandable given the questionable legacy.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wchigo

@Mezmero said:

@wchigo: The only reason the Zoro naming thing irked me is the fact that he's a swordsman. I always figured Oda meant it as a reference to the masked Latino swordsman Zorro but I could be completely off base with that. I only follow the cartoon so I have no opinion of the manga localization kerfuffle.

Granted that you should take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, but it's been said that the character of Roronoa Zoro was based off of the man named Francois l'Olonnais (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_l%27Olonnais). So if changes were to be made to his name, technically speaking Lolonoa Zoro would be a more accurate translation so to speak, though I find it just as unappealing.

Viz originally had it as Roronoa Zoro when they released the first 4-5 volumes, when the anime had not been licensed/released in the west. Then 4Kids got the rights to release OP in the west and, to avoid confusion (and perhaps copyright issues) with the Zorro license, they decided to change his name to Zolo. For the sake of consistency, Viz decided to do the same and that's why they went back and re-printed the first few volumes as well as releasing all future volumes with his name as "Roronoa Zolo."

@Petiew said:

@wchigo: It's fair enough to vote with your wallet and you can buy what you want. Not buying any of the books because of 1 letter just seems crazy to me though, probably because so many people do the same as you have. When I read the volumes I don't even register it as Zolo anymore.

It's not just the letter perse, but all the reasoning behind it. While Zoro and Zorro are basically the same name, it is not the same (again, one letter difference) and the characters are pretty distinctly different: one is a masked Latino swordsman who, to the best of my knowledge, uses a style that closely resembles fencing and is usually play by real actors. The other is a cartoon Japanese swordsman who uses santoryuu (three-sword style).

Part of it is frustration about how companies must dance around copyrights, patents and the like because so many people are willing to sue at the drop of the hat even when they don't have a logical leg to stand on. To me, it's no different than the whole "woman still coffee on herself, sues, gets millions" and as a result we have to put "Caution: contents are hot" on cups and the like: are we as a human race really that stupid that we need shit like that spelled out?

Again, for me, I would never mistake Zoro and Zorro as the same person, so to me the change is incredulous. With that being said, if legal action were to be taken because of the similarities in name, I would also not be the one who would potentially lose a lot of money. So again, I understand the change, I just don't like what it ultimately represents. I still purchase One Piece products in order to show my support of the series and to Eiichiro Oda for his wonderful work, just not the English localization of the manga. I agree, it's completely crazy even to me, so I'll use one of my more recent favourite quotes: "I know. It's my own personal psychosis."

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ninkendo

57%

GETTIN THERE

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wchigo

@ninkendo said:

57%

GETTIN THERE

More than halfway there!

I actually don't even know if I have enough money on my PSN account to buy this (probably not) so I guess the soonest I can pick this up will be Saturday. Not even sure if I have enough money for a $50 PSN card... -_-;;

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kishinfoulux

So what does everyone think of the game? It's pretty much what I expected. It's not amazing, but it's One Piece and mindless fun. Looking forward to unlocking more characters.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xshinobi

Is this just going to be Dynasty Warriors game with a One Piece skin? Because it seems like that is all Omega Force is capable of making. It was the same with the Gundam and Hokoto no Ken games which were greatly disappointing. I would have loved to see what Cyber Connect 2 could have done with this property.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Xshinobi said:

Is this just going to be Dynasty Warriors game with a One Piece skin? Because it seems like that is all Omega Force is capable of making. It was the same with the Gundam and Hokoto no Ken games which were greatly disappointing. I would have loved to see what Cyber Connect 2 could have done with this property.

I'd love a One Piece/Bleach fighting game like the Storm series from CyberConnect. It would look amazing.

kdrudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kdrudy

Picked this up yesterday, downloaded overnight, and played a bit this morning. It's exactly what I would want out of this type of game so I am happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.