Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Open World

Concept »

Non-linear level design where the player is able to freely traverse the game world and choose where and when to visit certain areas in the game.

Which open world game did you like more: MGS 5: The Phantom Pain or Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which open world game did you like more: MGS 5: The Phantom Pain or Zelda: Breath of the Wild? (103 votes)

MGS 5 33%
    Zelda 42%
    Both! I really enjoyed both and really couldn't say which I liked more. 9%
    Meh, I didn't really like either honestly. 17%

Obviously they are very different games, but the reason I ask is because maybe more than any other open world games this generation, these were the two that I felt people were lauding the 'if you think you can do it, you can do it' style of gameplay/mechanics, where the sense of freedom to play as you want was exceptional. I wouldn't say I experimented as much as I've seen some do in videos, but I nonetheless am curious what others think even though I don't personally have that kind of experience with either. Which game did that aspect better, and just overall which game did you like more despite their differences? I know it seems kind of random considering these aren't new games, but it was something I was curious about. I thought both games had major flaws, but still enjoyable. I would say I enjoyed MGS 5 more though; its stealth/action-shooting gameplay is more up my ally I suppose and Zelda's issues were bigger detractors in terms of gameplay enjoyment than MGS 5's for me.

• 
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darn, forgot the option for 'I didn't play them'. Sorry.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MGSV

The story suffered, but that gameplay was superlative!

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS5 by a large margin. Outposts were surprisingly fun to clear and gave me an excuse to go Rambo 2-5 rather than Last Ten Minutes of Rambo 1. And driving across the plains of Africa with a puppy in the passenger seat and Kiefer Sutherland selling some of the shittiest dialogue in all of MGS (and that is saying a lot) was amazing

Contrast that with every single janky eastern european RPG I played in the 2000s without any of the heart. Don't get me wrong, dodge mechanics aside, Breath was a fun game. But it was like GTA5 in that I wish the world were about 5 times smaller and more hand crafted with fewer annoying mechanics that get in the way of the game.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I really liked MGSV, but it didn't do anything new & exciting or flip the the idea of an open world on its head like BotW did. Wanderlust is a huge thing for me, and rarely do games come along and actually pull it off, to the point where I can't stop thinking of the game when I'm not actively playing it. BotW gave me a sense of wonder and amazement with what could be around the next corner in a way I had not felt since vanilla World of Warcraft back in 2004.

I actually developed a slight post-game depression when I finished it after 120 hours, because I knew there wouldn't be another game to pull off that kind of wanderlust for years to come.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Conceptually, I thought MGS V was pretty fascinating, but it really didn't hold my interest in the long term. I think I ended up spending about 6-7 hours with it before I had my fill, whereas I spent well over 300 hours with Breath of the Wild barely even touching the story stuff and just enjoying exploring that world.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@doctordonkey: Actually, that's partially what disappointed me personally. Sometimes I want to jump back in to see if something will spark for me, but it just didn't when it comes to the exploration and sightseeing in BOTW. Not that I thought it was anywhere near bad, just that it didn't quite do as I was hoping it would. There was variety in the look of places, but what I was doing wasn't that interesting, it was a lot run here, climb that (maybe reaching the top), rinse and repeat. It just felt like a lot of busy work perhaps, where my thoughts were 'man, well here's another mountain to climb...' That said, I would probably(?) say I liked it more than what MGS 5 had to offer. MGS 5 was majorly disappointing in that respect because like the story, MGS has always, at least to me, had interesting locations like Shadow Moses.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I picked "both" but after giving it more thought probably MGS V. I would argue that it's a more flawed game than Breath of the Wild but regardless I found the mission design and controls to be unmatched to this day. Both games do things I wish more games would do and that's encourage experimentation. (as the OP said) I feel like big budget games are getting more and more scripted so it was nice to see such big franchises do something so different.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't pick, both are amazing. Zelda was such a breath of fresh air when it comes to open world games. The world they created was just magical to explore. On the other hand MGSV is one of the greatest playing action games ever. It's so smooth and slick.

If you held a gun to my head if probably say Zelda.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard choice, but BOTW is one of my favorite games ever while MGS5 is very good but ultimately stupid.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mgsv but not for the open world. Both games had pretty shit open worlds but the gameplay in mgsv is significantly better than BOTW. Both games are solid though.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played MGS5 for maybe an hour... I sort of just forgot about it. I plan to eventually go back. I beat BOTW and did a couple of extra things.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that's quite a question, honestly..

I feel better about liking Breath of the Wild because it's full of so much joy.

But I might have had more fun dicking around in the world of a game that I otherwise think is inferior..

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Ground Zeroes and Yakuza 0. In terms of open world scale, I prefer mine to be small.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved both but Zelda is a top 5 of all time for me. Oddly enough, I didn't get into a lot of the experimentation of that game that so many other people lauded, I just loved the feeling of the world and exploring. I was going through some rough times when that came out and BotW was the one thing that could put me in a good mood at the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.