Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Overwatch Animated Shorts

• 88 results
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I was deeply offended by Alive, there are multiple shots of Tracer from behind when you can see her fully clothed bottom.

More seriously, that was pretty great. There's a lot of potential for Overwatch's story. I don't really see it being an FPS as bad or limiting if they're gonna commit to shorts like this and comics? Comics would be pretty great.

On criticisms of the writing: Of course it's dumbed down, it's Blizzard. They're probably trying to make it accessible for everyone from those who watch Teen Mom to those who read Proust.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jinoru said:

@spaceinsomniac: Nope. The $40 standard version is only PC download. http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/buy/

Being sent to die would be my guess. A few months after release, it'll be interesting to compare Overwatch's player count with Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Battlefront.

@spaceinsomniac: Titanfall?

Yeah, that's probably the last successful multiplayer only 60 dollar retail game. It was also a launch title on a new system that didn't have much to choose from, and had a TON of marketing behind it.

Quizas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This setting and "movies" look a little bit too childish. Like they do it for 10-20 years old gamers. What's wrong with being more serious?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Blizzard's brand of cheesy, but this was still pretty good.

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grulet:

The Blizzard writing team wishes it had this guy's talent.

Or any talent at all really.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that was also a teaser for a night-time version of Hanamura. It was a bit better than the previous efforts, but I dunno, outside of the visuals, I don't completely understand the excitement.

@sunbrozak: I think the next one is to feature Soldier 76, just based on a teaser I saw.

@grulet: That's beautiful. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that the writing is painfully predictable.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That part where they call out the names of their attacks is anime as hell, I love it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Loading Video...

The last short is live.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mellotronrules

@dietmango said:

The last short is live.

lul- so the take away here is- don't help curbstomp the disenfranchised (robots), but it's cool to leave them bleeding (battery acid?) out if some punks steal your 99 cents for flour.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Tennmuerti

Man.

Maaaan....

Look, I like Blizzard. Like a lot. (and like any good fan, I can also be quite critical of them) Almost all the games they make, including Overwatch could be used in design textbooks for the crazy amount of smart stuff in them. And their earlier cinematic work was visually amazing for it's time.

But holy shit. I though the previous shorts were kind of generic. This new one is on a whole other level, it puts the word "generic" to shame. It's basically dry humping of air.

Fuck.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Bleh, every one of these shorts has been rather lame. Yeah they look pretty and are animated well, but they're still so wholly uninteresting from a character and writing standpoint. That they always have to include some empty moralising 'message' about being a hero or whatever only makes them even more eye-roll inducing. For all of the flak Battleborn received for its writing (and it's pretty bad), Overwatch doesn't seem like it's of a much higher quality honestly. Only instead of being aggravating in Battleborn's case it's just painfully dull and boring.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The characters of Overwatch are really cool looking and well designed. The world, lore and general writing? Not so much.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TobbRobb

@humanity: You weren't #hyped for the cheesball batman story?

I've been saying that Soldier 76 is super boring and uninteresting all through beta (in a horribly exaggerated and jokey capacity). And let me tell you THIS VIDEO IS A FUCKING GOLDMINE!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@tobbrobb: S76 is my favorite character by a considerable margin and even I thought that last short was bad

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@tobbrobb: honestly I'm not hyped by anything in Overwatch apart from the exquisite polish that game radiates. Tons of really smart design decisions make me really wish a lot of other developers took note but also had the time and freehand that Blizzard does to develop their games.

I think Soldier is fun to play when I'm just in the mood to shoot without too many gimmicks. I don't really care about his backstory or any of these characters back stories cause this is a team based shooter and not Uncharted or something. Nothing about the world if Overwatch meshes together all that well. The characters while all really well designed, elicit this Smash Bros feeling of different heroes pulled in from different properties and made to work on the same playing field. The levels themselves I think are quite dull from an aesthetic perspective. Like here you have these fantastical champions battling out on... a goofy Hollywood-esque movie set? Like uhh what? Here is an ancient temple, here is a London type city area. None of it is especially vibrant or stands out all that much.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Overwatch is starting to remind me of the comic book Cyberforce....... I bring that up because I got deja vu moments of the first time I got a Preacher comic and why the 90s sucked in general

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: My personal hype largely comes from the fact that it's the only MP shooter game since TF2 I'm actually mechanically enjoying. With niche taste like that it's hard to not get excited (also got a group to play with for the forseeable future). I do agree however, I like a lot of the charcter designs individually, and that's kind of enough. But the maps are largely pretty drab and I wouldn't want to think too hard about what is happening on the screen with the mish-mash of whatever fighting.

I also give Soldier more shit than he deserves, I played probably half an hour of him and he's alright. It's just amusing to poke fun at the friends that attracted to the "HEY I'M A SHOOTER GUY GUY" instead of all the cool shit in the game.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They have outdone themselves in their shorts, this one I couldn't even bring myself to watch all the way through. Its just so bland and uninteresting.

I really think its a shame, Blizzard has amazing artists and animators, but their writers just throw it all in the thrash. I am glad Overwatch is just a multiplayer shooter at least, so you can ignore all of the story stuff and still have fun.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By imsh_pl

It's funny, the visual design and art direction of the Overwatch characters I really can get behind them, but the characters'... characters are so generic and one-dimensional that I will never care about any of the lore/story whatsoever.

The entirety of the Overwatch 'universum' is basically a children's cartoon.

The good thing is that the game is good and doesn't shove the lore down your throat, so I'm still super pumped for it.

@yummylee said:

Bleh, every one of these shorts has been rather lame. Yeah they look pretty and are animated well, but they're still so wholly uninteresting from a character and writing standpoint. That they always have to include some empty moralising 'message' about being a hero or whatever only makes them even more eye-roll inducing. For all of the flak Battleborn received for its writing (and it's pretty bad), Overwatch doesn't seem like it's of a much higher quality honestly. Only instead of being aggravating in Battleborn's case it's just painfully dull and boring.

Luckily you as the player have to go out of your way to become invested in the story and the characters' backgrounds, which as I understand it is not the case with Battleborn where the game heavily emphasises the conflict, events and character relationships in the world.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

at this point does speedy gonzalez seem considerate

It's trick question since I'm south america.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more dramatic and serious Blizzard tries to be, the worse it gets. This is nothing new.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My favorite part of these things are all the reddit kids looking for hidden messages within the video.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Bastion reminded me of the Iron Giant (stil the best Vin Diesel performance). This is still an amazing achievement in storytelling though, it actually made me tear up a bit.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cerberus3dog

The robot made peace with the bird and destiny led the last bastion to camp in a corner frustrating his opponents to no end.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These shorts are awesome and the Bastion one is the best one yet. Keep them coming.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are incredibly well made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame this one came out this late. Because I already have well ingrained feelings about Bastion and this short didn't change them. Anyway, great animation, as always.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By MocBucket62

The Bastion short might be the best one yet. Probably because I'm partial towards small, cute birds, but I love Bastion's bird. The storytelling was very effective, especially with this one having no dialogue.

Wonder who gets a short next? Junkrat/Roadhog?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Capum15

Wow, that one was really good. I mean, kinda obvious ending, but still, it was nice.

Edit: @mocbucket62 I feel like Junkrat and Roadhogs would just basically be Fury Road. Also I would be totally fine with that.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I. am. not. a. gun.

This is probably the best short because there is no dialogue.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only part of the Bastion short I liked was the flashback. Other than that, it didn't really do anything for me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I can't even with that bastion short. I teared up near the end there. I also love that they put a pretty blatant reference to the new map in there (That castle through the clearing right before you see numbani.)

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#88  Edited By Captain_Insano

Bastion having 'Nam style flashbacks - awesome short.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bastion short was pretty good.I'm kinda hoping for a D.VA or Zenyatta one next. What I would really like to see though is some sort of animation from Blizzard with all the characters doing something together.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was fantastic. Cheesy as it should be. That bird is hella persistent.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Awwww, that was so sweeeeet. The Soldier 76 one was still the most affecting to me, and Dragons is still my favourite, but that was really great!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.