Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

4850 Crossfire issues

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

Ok yes, im that guy that was really exited about getting a second HD4850 to make a crossfire set and now I am majorly frustrated. Turns out I got my card today in the mail.

Well I did acomplish one thing, which was lowering the temperature on the card by intalling the ZALMAN VF1000, now my idel is a 40C! i love it. Shortly after im done with that I install the second card along with this one in my system.

A long story short, after Vista intalls the new VGA adapter, I reboot. Then when Im booted back I go into ATi Catalyst and very anziously waiting for it to load and... to come to my surprise, there was no crossfire option under the Overdrive option. 

I have done some research online and the issue most people are having is with Vista 64-bit, which is the one I have so thats not good to hear. One thing I did hear is to revert back to 8.11, I did. Nothing. and the final thing I heard was an 8.12 hot fix. Tried it. Nothing. Now im stuck. I think I have 3 possible things that could be wrong. 
    1. Software drivers
    2. I have to activate the 2nd PCIe 2.0 on my board
    3. too much RAM?
    I read up on the last one while on the research, idk...
    Another thing you guys should know is that when I look in the "Information option in Catalyst, I click on "hardware" and It comes up with "primary adapter" and it list the specs of one of the 4850's. Below it there is another that says "disabled" adapter, however it is not disabled in Device manager. 

What do you guys think?
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lunarbunny
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darkgoth678

Ok those websites actually helped thnx! 

I figured out that the Issue was not with the drivers at all, but the BIOS on my ASUS card since it is a july modle BIOS and apperently has problem with Crossfire, I downloaded the BIOS from the ASUS website and it is specifically for this problem.

Although now I have a different problem... using the BIOS Flashing utility from ASUS, i let it run for a while and i dont know if its just me or im a noob at Flashing BIOS's but, I tihnk the thing wont Falsh, It just sits there, yes the little loading bar does move but it did that for a pretty long time. About how long should I wait to call it as not flashing?
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny

Hmmm, not sure what to say about the flash utility not working. Perhaps try to run in safe mode while doing it, or at least stop as many background processes and services as possible...

Whatever you do, if the bar seems to be moving, it's safest to let it finish or you may end up with a brick.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darkgoth678

Ok im done with this for taday, I just finished trying this:

It didn't work but however, I did getthe crossfire option when I went back to the 8.10 drivers, I updated to the 8.12 and it reverted back to not having it. 

What im going to try tomorrow is the flashing again and if that doesn't work, I already applyed for an RMA from ASUS and im going to try to get a different card, Since I go the ones made in July im goingto send it back and hope they send me the  new models with the new heatsinks and good BIOS's. 

Addition: I guess I will also mention that when I went back to the 8.10 and was able to enable the Crossfire, I tried out the Far Cry 2 Benchmark and It failed to launch the game twice, so very unstable. Even though I was able to get Crossfire it was sort of "not for real"
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

Your motherboard support Crossfire and has it got upto date BIOS?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.