Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Gamersgate vs STEAM

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrhankey

So my brother bought me Dead Space for $7 off of Gamersgate for xmas, or part of xmas. I'm wondering what you all think of Gamersgate. Dead Space will not install, it keeps asking for a disk, and as a digital copy this shouldn't be an issue. But my story aside...have you used it? and what do you think of it compared to steam?

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ShadowKnight508

I use Steam, but it has been acting up recently on both my PC and Mac when I try to update Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2, so I am kinda on the fence about it. 

As for GamersGate, I have never heard of it before. I might have to look into it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Never heard of it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

I use Steam for all my games, Impulse for the one or two exclusives they put up, and just recently I started using Games for Windows live whenever they have games on sale there for 99 cents- so I can't give any comparisons for gamersgate. Based on my experience though, I would just use steam. Other then a few updating problems from time to time I have yet to have a single problem with steam.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Seedofpower

I always though Steam was the standard. More and more publisher/developers are turning to them for their PC needs. Granted at different times you could have a game cheap somewhere else but the odds are very good that the same game would be just as cheap or cheaper at some point on steam.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I've also never heard of it.  I bought Civ V from direct2drive because they had a better pre-order.

CobaltThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By CobaltThunder

I've heard of both, but I have never heard anyone talk about using GamersGate. Everyone seems to be using Steam, and perhaps for good reason. 

I don't think many of us are liable to an opinion since most of us have never used, nor even heard of GamersGate, but I think Steam is probably better.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I prefer getting games that run through Steam, the last game that I bought on DVD was Alien vs Predator, I found it really cheap online, but as it is activated on Steam I didn't even have to take the DVD out of the case, I just activated the Steam code and it downloaded and installed the lated version. I hate having to swap disks to play different games. Windows Live still insists that the Disk is kept in the drive, so it sort of defeats the purpose.

EA also have something called the EADM (download manager) that allows users to go to the EA Store, but strangely this will not apply the latest updates to games or let you buy DLC, so all it really does is act like a launcher and buy new downloadable versions of games or activate game keys for products that you've purchased. They covered nearly everything that they needed to, but then stopped at updating the software and giving users access to DLC, which I think is pointless. I have not tried Gamersgate, and reading that you needed a disk to run a game has already put me off looking at it.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam is, quite simply, the best platform for digital distribution. No two ways about it.

Darko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Darko
    @mrhankey said:
    " So my brother bought me Dead Space for $7 off of Gamersgate for xmas, or part of xmas. I'm wondering what you all think of Gamersgate. Dead Space will not install, it keeps asking for a disk, and as a digital copy this shouldn't be an issue. But my story aside...have you used it? and what do you think of it compared to steam? "
    Can't comment on Gamers Gate, since I haven't used it, but you should be able to solve the problem of it asking for a CD by using a cracked exe. Try gamecopyworld.com
    daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By daiphyer

Some how, I kept reading the title Gertsmangate vs Steam. I'm like what does Jeff have to do with steam?!

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By l3illyl3ob

GamersGate carved out a niche by catering to people who enjoy Eastern European developed games.  They also sell other major AAA titles, but they don't seem to make up the bulk of their business.  Like Paradox Interactive's games (I do)?  Then you'll like GamersGate.  I don't have many games through them, but my experiences with them have always been positive.

Of course, nothing beats Steam in the convenience category.  They go all out in creating a consumer experience, that goes far beyond just another store. That's what puts Steam miles ahead of every single other digital distribution service, GamersGate included. 

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Hamst3r

I have a few games via GamersGate: Penumbra Requiem and Bionic Commando Rearmed. They seem to work just fine, so no complaints. :)

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By mithhunter55
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " Steam is, quite simply, the best platform for digital distribution. No two ways about it. "
    It is and now i am also to far down the 'rabbit hole' I want all my games to be on their platform now that I have invested so much. I also trust Valve more then any other company. Not like Microsoft is going to disappear but GFWlive could go in a  direct I wouldn't like. Valve wont be going any where either but they are greatly invested in the success of their platform, I can be assured my games and their support inst going any where. 

99th post :)
    HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By HaroldoNVU

GamersGate is pretty decent. some of their games, specially the older ones are DRM free which is a plus for some people. Like L3illy3ob it has a nice selection of european developed games, if that's your thing. Contact GamersGate support, if that's a common problem they'll know how to handle. 

Like others here, I favor Steam because it's kind of becoming a standard for PC game but if a game I want won't have any special benefits from being on steam (achievements, steam cloud, etc) than I'll look for it on other services as well.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By capt_ventris

I use Gamersgate to get hold of all my Paradox titles. It's better for those games then Steam as there is no game client required. 
    Also the expansions tend to come out earlier on Gamersgate.  As for a Steam vs Gamersgate debate, I find both digital platforms to be quite useful in helping me avoid EB. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo

I've used GG maybe a dozen times and never had any problems with it.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrhankey

I'm a huge fan of STEAM, but I'm also a sucker for good deals, and since I wanted two games for xmas, from my brother Amnesia Desk Descent and Dead Space, he got them for me at STEAM and Gamersgate--respectively. Also...to @Darko:  I'm not going to get a crack, I bought this game and it should work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

How does gamersgate work? Is there a client like Steam? I just went over to have a look, and they have TDU for sale, which I've been meaning to get. 

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Cwaff
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Never heard of it.

"
    I do love Steam though.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By melcene

I've also never heard of it but I don't use Steam either.  I prefer in-my-hand, pretty box and all, hard copies.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " Steam is, quite simply, the best platform for digital distribution. No two ways about it. "
    HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HaroldoNVU
    @mrhankey: this is from their FAQ: " 
  • Please insert CD/DVD in drive C:

This problem may be due to...

1.You have got a demo of the game installed. Make sure you uninstall the demo before installing the full game.

2. You have patched the game with a patch for the disc version of the game. You must use a patch for a digital version of the game. If you cant find such patch on the official web sit or at the My Games section at GamersGate, please provide us the patch number and we will ask the developers about it.

3. Sometimes the "Run" option in Windows will not work. Download the file and double click it intead.

4. Network storage will not work. You must download and install on local drives.

If you need assistance, you can send an email to support@gamersgate.com and you will be helped promptly."

@zudthespud: It has no unified client like steam or impulse. you just download a downloader file, run it and it will download the game. then you have to install and if it has some kind of DRM you'll need to activate it. Test Drive uses SecuROM.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#24  Edited By sammo21
    @mrhankey: I typically refuse to buy any PC titles outside of disc or STEAM, with the only exception being if Blizzard forms any advantages for getting digital over physical...and since I buy all Blizzard special editions I don't see that happening.  I don't like to have that many different potential clients, especially when I can just install a disc based game and run it through STEAM.  No thanks.  Also, I like the Valve/Steam model so I like to support it.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew
    @zudthespud said:
    " How does gamersgate work? Is there a client like Steam? I just went over to have a look, and they have TDU for sale, which I've been meaning to get.  "
    It seems it did require a client until 2009. But Wikipedia's also presenting me with a riddle about something called a Micro-Download, which I am unable to decipher.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta

Gamersgate is actually pretty good (It's where I bought all those crazy Paradox strategy games) You just download the installer, then it downloads. Once it installs, you can keep the files it downloaded in case you need to install again. I THINK you can do it over multiple computers too, and since it has no contact with an online server, you can both play at once. As far as I remember, anyway.

no client, either.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Geno
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @zudthespud said:
    " How does gamersgate work? Is there a client like Steam? I just went over to have a look, and they have TDU for sale, which I've been meaning to get.  "
    It seems it did require a client until 2009. But Wikipedia's also presenting me with a riddle about something called a Micro-Download, which I am unable to decipher. "
    It's like Macro-Download, but smaller. 
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CptChiken

I have never heard of it.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HaroldoNVU
    @Laketown said:
    " Gamersgate is actually pretty good (It's where I bought all those crazy Paradox strategy games) You just download the installer, then it downloads. Once it installs, you can keep the files it downloaded in case you need to install again. I THINK you can do it over multiple computers too, and since it has no contact with an online server, you can both play at once. As far as I remember, anyway. no client, either. "
    I think you can. However most games have some kind of DRM, usually SecuROM. Acording to them it's pretty easy to reset activations but I never tried. I'm thinking of buying a cheap game to test this, install it on all my computers and request for a activation reset. 
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrhankey
    @HaroldoNVU:  I've tried everything they suggest on their sit to no avail, currently awaiting an email from them.  

@sammo21:  As stated earlier, $7 Dead Space was just too good to pass up. But for the most part I stick with steam.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Capum15

I'm in the boat of people not having heard of  it.

I use the everloving hell out of Steam though. It's awesome.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrhankey

For anyone that is interested....

For my copy of Dead Space to work, purchased off of Gamersgate. I had to redownload it with my RealTime Virus Scan turned off as apparently McAfee was causing issues with the download. This somehow got me an installer that realized it was digitally distributed as opposed to bought from a retail store. I find it very disconcerting that I had to disable my virus scan to download a game. Your thoughts....

essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By essi2

I use Steam, Impulse and GamerGate. I have yet to have any problems with GG (which is more then I can say for the 2 others), but I for the most part only use it for Paradox Interactive and 1C games.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta
    @mrhankey said:
    " For anyone that is interested....  For my copy of Dead Space to work, purchased off of Gamersgate. I had to redownload it with my RealTime Virus Scan turned off as apparently McAfee was causing issues with the download. This somehow got me an installer that realized it was digitally distributed as opposed to bought from a retail store. I find it very disconcerting that I had to disable my virus scan to download a game. Your thoughts.... "
    that could just be dead space, because I've installed... 5-6 games from them and I never had any problems
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Driadon

I've used Gamer's Gate a few times, has some decent prices every now and again. 
     They also have some good service over there, who I'm sure would be more than willing to help get your Dead Space running.  

@mrhankey said: 

" For anyone that is interested....  For my copy of Dead Space to work, purchased off of Gamersgate. I had to redownload it with my RealTime Virus Scan turned off as apparently McAfee was causing issues with the download. This somehow got me an installer that realized it was digitally distributed as opposed to bought from a retail store. I find it very disconcerting that I had to disable my virus scan to download a game. Your thoughts.... "

McAfee  is terrible for that. An older version of it I used back in '03 decided that Steam was a trojan and locked up whenever it tried to scan the Steam directory.
    Avatar image for theherbivorousbig
    theherbivorousbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never used gamersgate, but they've got Mass Effect 2 on sale for $8 right now. Definitely considering grabbing it.

ned_perfel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ned_perfel

Have used D2D, Impulse, GG, and Steam

Only one I've had problems with is Steam.

ned_perfel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ned_perfel
    @mrhankey said:
    I find it very disconcerting that anyone uses McAfee.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrfizzy

iv never heard of it. i use both Steam and gog.com. personally i find gog to be a better/simpler service, but Steam is still really good. 

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BounceDK

No useless client needs to connect when you want to play a game purchased via gamersgate or impulse. It's only steam that is using old drm tech.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mrhankey
    @ned_perfel:  

free from my university, never had any viruses....so don't see why you'd find that disconcerting.
    drcocktopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By drcocktopus

Nothing is ahead of Steam, imo...

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pekoe212

I buy everything I can on Steam, but there are a number of RPGs/adventures that Steam never acquires. Gamersgate is good for all the European games that never get released in North America, or if I just don't want to wait months or years for it. I've never had any problems with Gamersgate.

NikFreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NikFreaX

Steam > Gamersgate

IMO.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By WickedCestus

Gamersgate sounds like a stupid name for the trial between the Government of California and the ESRB.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By salad10203

Just played Dead Space on steam, had no problems.  

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By mikemcn

No clue what gamersgate is but, I have had no problems with Steam. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.