Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Pc gaming is not dieing. Dev's just dont know how to make money..

• 82 results
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By trophyhunter

It's not the Dev's fault. Here are your two options for making a PC game.
    1. Make it with normal DRM, and have everyone in the world pirate it weeks before it comes out. Thus making zero dollars.
    2. Make it with DRM that would actually stop someone from pirating. Then have everyone in the world call you the Anti-Christ for actually wanting to pay for the game instead of pirating it. Thus making zero dollars.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By SSully
    @KaosAngel said:
    " If they made games that didn't look like console games in high resolution, I think more people would buy PC games.  It's insulting when Uncharted 3 looks better than PC games, when it should be PC games making console kids cry for better graphics. "
    Yeah because people bought starcraft 2 for its pretty graphics. Also look at how much good graphics helped Crysis, they didnt get the sales they excepted and now they are going to consoles because thats where the money is. 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Slaker117
    @trophyhunter: 
    3. Put it on Steam.

DRM is no longer the problem. Publishers just don't care as much about PC anymore.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By damswedon

What gets me about PC gaming is that Microsoft started development on the Xbox 360 in 2003 therefore it must be based on the PC tech of around then. So why does it feel like the technological jump feel so big about a year into the current gen of consoles?
    So are PC developers just lazy and don't aim to squeeze the best from the hardware? Or do the consoles ultimately drive the progression because of it's focus on console generations?

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

@brandoncooper17 said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " So what exactly do you think that devs and publishers should do? "
    stop making bad games and invest in exclusives that are not mmo's. "
    While this is half of a good idea (stop doing what doesn't work), it doesn't tell us what is good so that it can be made.

For me, one of the defining traits of the computer is the inclusion of the mouse, an analog device that lets you be able to control rates as well as direction (unlike a digital button).  Having an analog device is huge.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @brandoncooper17 said:

" Pc gaming is not dieing. "

I read that as "dieting".  Its spelled "dying" btw.
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Entus
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Entus said:
    "Haven't checked Star Wars but just checked my SC2 folder and it's 8.59 gigs, not close to 15. "
    ...how?  It's almost 13 gigs on my mac. "
    Maybe Blizzard hates mac users? I don't know.
    Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Mu5hy
    @Entus said:
    " @Mu5hy said:
    " @Slaker117 said:

" @Mu5hy:  Dude, how are PC games 20GBs? Are they not bothering to optimize memory anymore? "

"*Call of Duty®: Black Ops requires an initial hard drive space of approximately 24GB to download and install the game via digital download (8GB of compressed files, 8GB of decompressed files and 8GB of installed files). Upon installing the game, 16GB (compressed and decompressed files) may be deleted from the hard drive. Please make note of where the compressed and decompressed files are being saved on your hard drive in order to later locate these temporary files for removal."
    So then you only have to download 8GB~. Saying that the games are 20 GB+ is kinda untrue.

Did you read what you quoted of me?  You have to download 24GB, then you can install the game, then you can delete 16gb.  You still had to download 24.  You're left with an install folder of <10GB, but you downloaded 24.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Mu5hy said:

" @Entus said:

" @Mu5hy said:

" @Slaker117 said:

" @Mu5hy:  Dude, how are PC games 20GBs? Are they not bothering to optimize memory anymore? "

"*Call of Duty®: Black Ops requires an initial hard drive space of approximately 24GB to download and install the game via digital download (8GB of compressed files, 8GB of decompressed files and 8GB of installed files). Upon installing the game, 16GB (compressed and decompressed files) may be deleted from the hard drive. Please make note of where the compressed and decompressed files are being saved on your hard drive in order to later locate these temporary files for removal."
    So then you only have to download 8GB~. Saying that the games are 20 GB+ is kinda untrue.
    Did you read what you quoted of me?  You have to download 24GB, then you can install the game, then you can delete 16gb.  You still had to download 24.  You're left with an install folder of <10GB, but you downloaded 24. "
    No, you only have to download the compressed files. And then the installer uncompresses them and installs the game, creating the new uncompressed and installed files. The whole point of compressing the files in the first place is to reduce the filesize, and then you uncompress them to install the game. The download is under 8GB's.
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Entus
    @Mu5hy said:
    "Did you read what you quoted of me?  You have to download 24GB, then you can install the game, then you can delete 16gb.  You still had to download 24.  You're left with an install folder of <10GB, but you downloaded 24. "
    That... Makes absolutely no sense. Why would you download 24 gigs if you only need 8? Those are 3 copies of the same thing but in different formats. 
    Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Mu5hy

So if your 8GB of compressed files turns into 8GB of decompressed files.... where is the compression?  why wouldnt you just download 8GB of decompressed files, install your 8, delete 8.... initial hd space is now 16. 

edit :  Also, airline food.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Mu5hy:  I don't know exactly how the codblops compression works, but I do know that the download is 7.39 GB.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By carlthenimrod

Where are these topics claiming PC gaming is dying? I never see them but instead I see this exact same thread once a week.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jimbo
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Jimbo: I'm not talking about WoW Subscriptions, I'm talking about retail boxes that people buy.  SC2 sold over 3 million, and Cata sold over 3 million.  That's 6 million people going into a store to buy a physical product.  When was the last time a PC game did that?  That's how you fuel the economy. "

Well, no, what you said was "Blizzard is doing more to save the PC market [than Valve] and they're pushing the PC economy forward." and "At the end though, if Blizzard is getting PC gamers to fuel the PC economy, Valve's good will means nothing.  Let's say Blizzard fuels 70% of the spending of PC gamers, is that 30% by Valve worth it?".

First you were talking about the PC market (which the thread is about) and now you're talking about 'the economy' (which I take to mean Gamestop employees, truck drivers, etc.).  

What I'm trying to figure out is what exactly you (and anybody else that sees Blizzard as a saviour) mean by Blizzard 'saving the PC market' and 'fueling the PC economy'.  Blizzard have had an overwhelmingly negative impact on everybody else in the PC market besides Blizzard.  They've soaked up a substantial chunk of the consumers and locked them down for 5 years.  That's a lot of people no longer buying other new games and not needing to upgrade their PCs - I strongly suspect that total PC game retail sales are down because of WoW, not up.  You ask when the last time a PC game sold 3 million copies was: the market stopped being capable of achieving those kinda sales at pretty much the exact same time that WoW came along and choked the life out of it.

The dominance of WoW isn't the biggest reason for the decline of the PC gaming industry (that's ease of piracy, followed by consoles being less shitty than they used to be), but it's right up there.  Valve on the other hand has been a mostly positive influence, allowing many games from many different companies to come to market which we otherwise wouldn't have seen.  I'm not saying Blizzard are to blame for making too good a game, or that Valve are being altruistic, that's just how it's panned out.  Blizzard didn't save the PC market; they just took most of it and put it in their pocket.
    Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Tarakun

I think it's important to remember what makes PC games unique in the first place, it isn't just the mouse and keyboard. It's the open-ness of the platform.  

I see people pointing out the "Big franchises" on the PC, and how they're being migrated to consoles, however; 

• Garry's Mod is not on consoles
    • Minecraft      is not on consoles

The kinds of crazy things that exist on the PC simply don't work on other platforms. Have you played a console fps on Legoland? How about Mario Land? Yeah, it's nonsense, but it's something that you can only do on the PC. 

Something else that's interesting is the rise of the F2P model, which is doing quite well on the PC. League of Legends has found great popularity, Turbine has doubled their income from both their MMO's. If you want to know how to make money on the PC, it's all about Free to Play. 

Yes, this is entirely possible on a console as well, but currently this business model is found mostly on PC, in the same way that Brick and Mortar Triple A sales are found on consoles. Bringing in customers is super-easy when the initial startup price is nothing. This effect is multiplied by the fact that everyone already has a computer. You can talk all day about how PC gaming is dying, but I personally think this is the future.  

I buy games on PC. I think consumer side, the PC is the better place to be. The PC games I buy tend to cost far less than the 360 games I've bought, and I honestly don't get why people pirate games on this platform. Is pirating Left 4 Dead 2 really worth all the effort of troubleshooting it when you could just buy it on sale for $5? As far as downloadable stuff goes, I tend to lean towards the PC there too. Not only are they cheaper, but that library of downloadable games will still be there after I upgrade my computer. When the 360 eventually gets phased out, do you think the next platform will let you carry all that content over from your 360? Maybe, but that's not a risk I really wanna take. 
    Avatar image for oppressivestink
    OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By OppressiveStink

As an owner of every system and a decent gaming PC, I have o admit, most of my purchases are for my PC.  And as far as that goes, I don't believe there is a time when being a PC gamer has been better.  I get most of the AAA titles, I get literally thousands of indie games, foreign games with translations... the list goes on and on.

The only thing the PC is missing is those console exclusives that are made by first and second party developers and I think the Indie Scene alone outclasses whatever handful of exclusives that the major console makers get.

I do want to leave you with this though.  All it would take is HP and Dell including halfway decent graphics cards, something mid-range that could run most contemporary games, then PC would have the biggest install base of any other platform and suddenly PC is where most gaming would be.  That's all it would take.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I think it's more complicated than that, developers barely has enough money to port the game to ps3, they aren't going to put any effort for the pc version at all. They are just going to throw it all together and hopefully your pc can handle it. Any profit they make from it, it's like a bonus because most of the cash comes from the console port. However if they put a bit more effort and it shows, then pc gamers will buy more games. It seems digital distribution is keeping pc gaming alive these days and there seems to be more and more options these days for that.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68  Edited By Geno
    @KaosAngel said:
     It's insulting when Uncharted 3 looks better than PC games
    All of Uncharted 3 shown so far is an in-engine pre-render similar to those used in Uncharted 2. The actual game will undoubtedly be the same 720p 0xAA 1xAF mess that Uncharted 2 was. Not to mention PC games that feature natural environments are often actually explorable and not just corridor crawls (linear pathway through jungles wtf?)
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#69  Edited By Geno

Also what confuses me about the affinity towards consoles is how people are rabidly awaiting the arrival of the PS4 or Xbox 720 as if they will bring amazing futuristic graphics. Erm...they'll be $300-$400 machines. PS3 and Xbox 360 were the largest relative hardware leaps ever, leaps which will probably never be seen again, and they turned out to be not much stronger than upper mid end PCs of the time (The PS3 had to be priced at $600 and Sony had to lose $400 per unit for it). All signs are pointing to Sony and MS being less hardware focused in the next round due to their early failures and the success of the Wii, and the Kinect sets a precedent for Sony and MS to actually start earning money off of hardware sales and not losing it, so next gen probably won't even be as much of a leap. At best, they'll be playing what current $600-$800 gaming PCs are already playing at - 1080p 4xAA 60fps in most mainstream titles.

This probably stems from a lack of hardware knowledge and at least a tiny bit of fanboyism. I think if anyone knew they could already be getting a next gen experience on PC, and if money wasn't a huge issue (it's not even really an issue if you consider the money you save on Steam in the long run), they'd all be switching. Unfortunately PC doesn't really have a centralized company or marketing campaign behind it to tell them about all this - there's no Kevin Butler for PC. The lack of marketing and lack of hardware knowledge is probably what's stopping more people from going PC, not the development choices.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NTM

"Dieing"? I don't know that word.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#71  Edited By mrhankey
    @Slaker117: 

We are in agreement. I think wording is everything though, it's can make a big difference. I know it's not the same as research, but considering I can never say my research proved something, only that it provided evidence for, I've become quite a stickler.
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By OdinsThunder

PC gaming isn't dying, infact it's doing rather well at the moment. The majority of AAA multiplatform releases are being released for PC so what's the problem? And the profit margins a much  higher for developers when they sell a PC game through digital distribution. From the figures I've heard, a developer would have to sell about 3- 4 retail copies of a console game compared to what they make from selling one copy of a PC game through digital distribution channels.  

No one is saying PC gaming is dying, at least they aren't now. This is an old argument that usually pops up around the time of a new console generation. But consoles seem to be heading down a different path now and trying to appeal to a different audience as the HD generation has been a commercial failure for Sony and Microsoft.  The PC is and always will be the platform of choice for the hardcore gamer.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By salad10203

PC gaming is dying, but its undeniable that XBL and PSN are definitely cutting into the pie.  

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74  Edited By Levio

PC gaming is DEAD
    RIP PC Gaming

It's all cause of pirates jacking games, DRM, and costume quest being consule only

In the future no one will use PCs obviously, there will be one thousand consoles each with their own stupid motion control device and each with exclusives that basically do nothing but rob other consoles of titles.  What a UTOPIA.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @brandoncooper17 said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " So what exactly do you think that devs and publishers should do? "
    stop making bad games and invest in exclusives that are not mmo's. "
    So that everyone can pirate them.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I just want to say that even if you do get rid of most piracy in pc gaming, it isn't going to increase sales of pc games at all. Pirates are pirates and they aren't suddently going to buy things cheaper on steam, rather look for another way to pirate games. So the piracy arguement that all pc sales is not as high is because of them isn't totally true. By making a good pc port, even though there are those who pirates things, it's going to sell more to those who actually wants to buy the game. Most ppl on this site aren't pirates for pc games, they buy most of their games on steam. Also they released some numbers in the other thread, pc gaming is doing alot better than they realise.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Vodun

PC gaming isn't "dieing" it's stagnating. There's no growth, what is the motivation for someone who wants to get into gaming to choose PC? 

• PC hardware is A LOT more expensive if you want the top of the line stuff. 
    • PCs require technical knowledge to get going and maintain. 
    • Games developed for PCs have a tendency to be unreliable since the hardware is so varied, and the developers can't test every combination. 
    • The openness of of the platform also means it's more prone to cheats/hacks. 
    • PCs are still marketed as work stations.
    • I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea...
    Keeping that in mind, I would say it's amazing there are any PC gamers at all. Just proves the superiority of the platform ;) 

I think PC gaming is still healthy, but console gaming is healthier. The people who didn't game before are now thanks to consoles, this sorta skews the view on the industry.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ShaunassNZ

If devs don't know how to make money, then it's dieing....  

PC gaming this year has made a giant increase, the most sold PC game happened this year, and it wasn't even a game, you were required to have 3 games prior too.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    " Firstly, I don't think PC gaming is dying, I think it's alive and well. However, your argument doesn't make sense; people not being able to make money off of something any more is the exact definition of an industry dying. "
    Actually that is the exact definition of competition. If a firm fails to make financial profits and is forced to exit the market that means it failed to compete with other firms in said market. "
    True, if it's one or two firms, however the OP seems to be talking about the PC gaming industry as a whole drastically shrinking.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By niamahai

Steam did not help new game sell.

It just created this precedence  for people  to wait for new steam game sales.

I strongly believe steam sales are not really helping developers.
    The rabid people who buy CoD/WoW/Halo on Day1 are what helping developers stay in business.

Please don't kill me.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I have always thought the main issue with PC devs is that they spend sooooo much time and money trying to make their games better looking then the last game.  Why do they have to push the line so far every time?  Why make a game soooo graphic intensive that current hardware can barely run it? 

PC devs lose money because they are more interested in visuals then sound business choices.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Meowshi
    @Geno said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
     It's insulting when Uncharted 3 looks better than PC games
    All of Uncharted 3 shown so far is an in-engine pre-render similar to those used in Uncharted 2. The actual game will undoubtedly be the same 720p 0xAA 1xAF mess that Uncharted 2 was. Not to mention PC games that feature natural environments are often actually explorable and not just corridor crawls (linear pathway through jungles wtf?) "
    Mess? 

Yeah, okay buddy.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.