Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

playing old pc games on vista 64 bit?

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By lord_canti

ive been trying to play classic games such as leisure suit larry blade runner and monkey island  on my new pc which needs 64 bit  but the problem is they wont install  all coming up with messages saying things  along the lines of you're operating system is not compatible ask you're software publisher  for a 64 bit version. is there a way to fix this and allow my comp to run it or trick it to doing so any help will be grately appreciated

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

I'm going to assume these older games are not compatible with Vista 64-bit, so therefore, you cannot play them.

Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Hdfisise

You could try http://www.dosbox.com/ on some of the really older games

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

Yea, some of those sound like they need DOS, and DOSBox should fix the problem.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Use a program called ScummVM. It allows you to play any of those old school games by creating a virtual machine sort of like a Java virtual machine. I use Vista64 and had no issues playing Full Throttle, The Dig, Space Quest, etc.

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RyanJW

Yes, ScummVM for the win. It also lets you apply filters to the graphics to smooth out the pixellation a bit.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.