Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Please help with PC config.

• 52 results
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Yo, so I'm getting my first ever gaming PC. I told the dude in store I want a PC for games and games only and here's what he suggested. Please tell me if this configuration will last 2 years... is it good for right now?

Core i7 2600K overclocked to 4.5ghz
    8GB ram
    Intel P67 motherboard
    GeForce GTX580 1.5gb
    water cooling, Blu ray, all the bells and whistles.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

this'll last you five years

what's your budget ?
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

no real budget limitation. I count it as a personal achievement. :)

EDIT
    But I don't wanna spend more than 3k  on the base.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @rebgav: yeah, blu ray was my choice.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By OldGuy

The i7 is overkill as most games are not CPU bound. Watercooling is really not worth the cost/hassle unless you want to push the CPU really hard or want to try to build a silent machine (my i5 @3.3ghz ran at 40c on the stock cooler and 60c when I used the "turbo" button on the MSI board to run it at 4.2ghz - which when I put on an Arctic Freezer 13 on it dropped 10c for each of those - a fine temp to run at long term).

I'd go with an i5 2500 (sure, get the k version if you want to poke around with overclocking - but it's only going to buy you 1-3 FPS in 90+% of the games you play)... quoth:

"Take the Core i5-2500, add 2 MB of L3 cache, Hyper-Threading, and a 100 MHz bump across the board. What do  you have? The Core i7-2600K

It doesn't sound like much of an improvement, and frankly it will make remarkably little difference when it comes to gaming. The $100 spread between the Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K is only recommended if you want to brag, because you're probably not going to notice any appreciable frame rate difference. The Core i7's strength is only really exploited in heavily-threaded workstation applications, rather than games."

This is from here.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @OldGuy: good point, thanks.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

8gb of RAM is nice, but hell if you are going to need it. 4gb will be fine for just gaming. Like OldGuy said, get the 2500k and save yourself a 100 bucks, drop the Water cooling unless you want to mad overclock, a $25 third party heatsink/cooler will do you fine for just messing about, and will be better then stock.

Are you making it yourself? If you're not I'd say you really should. You'll save money and you'll then have the know-how to upgrade it when you want. Also, are you the kind who will upgrade every 2 years? Or just buy a whole new machine every 4-5?
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By awe_stuck

if you buy it get it on sale. new cpus coming out in the summer so price reduction will probably happen

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ericdrum

I have an overclocked 2600k. I'm still trying to find a game that will push the thing past 50% usage on a consistent basis. Nothing does. It's a great chip that runs cool as hell. It will last a LONG time. I agree that it's a bit overkill for only gaming, but the price is insanely good IMO.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @AlexW00d: I probably won't build it myself. Well, maybe I'll just watch my friend who does that for a living do it. And the idea behind this PC is to upgrade when needed. I pretty much just want it to run, don't know jack about PCs... 
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By awe_stuck
    @OracleXIII: dont know jack about expensive lego? oh no, say aint so jack :p
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By AlexW00d
    @OracleXIII: Well if you don't know then get this friend to at the least overwatch you: at the most, do it for you. But hand built is always going to be better than company built. And tbf, I iknew little before building mine, now I'd like to say I know my way around a computer to at least a competent level.
    barkertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By barkertron

The Ars Technica System Guide is a really good place to get some pointers if you're building it yourself. I bought all the components for the Hot Rod machine from that edition of the guide and it's great - fast enough to smoothly play any current game at 1920x1080 on max settings. It only cost around £800 too (about $1300 at current rates, assuming components are priced similarly on both sides of the Atlantic).

If you're paying anywhere near $3k for a machine then you're probably not going to see a whole lot of gain for the additional money spent. As other people have said, steer clear from the absolute top of the range stuff as you won't see much benefit.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

alright I'm gonna get to it then. thanks yall. :)

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By StingingVelvet

As others have said 4GB of RAM is plenty right now and I wouldn't bother overclocking that processor, it won't really be used.  The upside of the consoles lasting so long this generation is that us PC gamers are getting a nice break as far as requirements to max games out.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By awe_stuck

AMD...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard

If you're going all out might as well throw a GTX 590 in that beast rather than the 580.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

One more thing guys: this is a pretty decent system, I'd say, what game should I get to really push it to see what it's worth? Crysis 2?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Bollard
    @rebgav said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    " If you're going all out might as well throw a GTX 590 in that beast rather than the 580. "
    That's not a great idea. It would probably cost less to put two 560ti in there and get the same level of performance. Dual-GPU cards are never worth it.  "
    Yeah apparently you're right (although I can't get on the link at the moment to check if what I read was true.)

Still, if he's going for a showy-off build, then a 590 leaves him open to whack another one in there later and have... 4 way GPU's... Which thinking about it would probably be an absolute waste of money considering what kind of performance gain that would achieve.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OldGuy
    @rebgav said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    " If you're going all out might as well throw a GTX 590 in that beast rather than the 580. "
    That's not a great idea. It would probably cost less to put two 560ti in there and get the same level of performance. Dual-GPU cards are never worth it.  "
    I personally have never been a fan of the current generation of dual GPU/card configurations as you generally only get a 30%-60% speed boost over a single card/GPU...

I also believe that it's a waste to spend more than $250 on your video card since you can replace it in 18 months or so (when it is starting to struggle just a bit - I haven't found the stress point on mine just yet.) with another $250 card that will be better than the $500 card that you would have bought today (unless you have a crazy big monitor that you want to run at insane resolutions maxed out with 8x/16x on all the time - or a three monitor surround setup)...
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awe_stuck

Intel will probably lower their prices a lil bit. Besides didnt someone comment he shouldnt get the OC version? Which would be the only cpus likely not to be affected.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FritzDude

Misleading thread title. Sorry.

But to answer your question: Yes.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Don't get water cooling, you don't need to OC, and get a PS3 for blu ray. You said you wanted it for gaming only, why did he suggest a blu ray?

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @ShaunassNZ: No, I want blu ray cuz I'm gonna be using this in my office room when nobody will bother me (my wife is a loud motherfucker, can't watch movies with that woman.)

@rebgav: Are you saying I'm gonna be able to play any current game on the highest settings?
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @OracleXIII said:
    " @ShaunassNZ: No, I want blu ray cuz I'm gonna be using this in my office room when nobody will bother me (my wife is a loud motherfucker, can't watch movies with that woman.)

@rebgav: Are you saying I'm gonna be able to play any current game on the highest settings?
    "
    Dude you'll be playing current games at the end of 2012 and still be on highest settings.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @ShaunassNZ said:
    " @OracleXIII said:
    " @ShaunassNZ: No, I want blu ray cuz I'm gonna be using this in my office room when nobody will bother me (my wife is a loud motherfucker, can't watch movies with that woman.)

"
    Dude you'll be playing current games at the end of 2012 and still be on highest settings. "
    Well that's pretty much the point of getting a high end PC, right?
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @OracleXIII said:
    " @ShaunassNZ said:
    " @OracleXIII said:

"
    Dude you'll be playing current games at the end of 2012 and still be on highest settings. "
    Well that's pretty much the point of getting a high end PC, right? "
    Yeah, and I was backing this guy. You could go far cheaper and still achieve this. If you get it like this, just don't look too much into hardware news, because you'll be tempted to get it even though you won't need anything for years.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @ShaunassNZ: I am gonna follow your advice, no liquid cooling and regular i7. I'm so happy!
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Do I need the case with the knobs to regulate fan speed? I know it's a dumb question, but as I said, no actual knowledge of PCs here. 

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @OracleXIII said:
    " @ShaunassNZ: I am gonna follow your advice, no liquid cooling and regular i7. I'm so happy! "
    Hmm, I'd still get the K, because then you won't need to upgrade for years, and I mean YEARS. If you get a decent cooler like @rebgav: said, then you can do a little OC later on when you need it.
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By GS_Dan
    @OracleXIII said:
    " Do I need the case with the knobs to regulate fan speed? I know it's a dumb question, but as I said, no actual knowledge of PCs here.  "
    Nope
    Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By Leafhopper

If you dont play Maxed everything all the time. Then this should last more than 5 years.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It will last you at least 2 years, more like 2.5 years.

Metro 2033 will put your rig to the limit. You will get averagely 27-35 frames per second. With sli of that card, you will get like 60 at all times.

You still can't play crysis at 60 frames with 16X AA regardless.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By John1912
    @OracleXIII said:
    " Yo, so I'm getting my first ever gaming PC. I told the dude in store I want a PC for games and games only and here's what he suggested. Please tell me if this configuration will last 2 years... is it good for right now?

Core i7 2600K overclocked to 4.5ghz
    8GB ram
    Intel P67 motherboard
    GeForce GTX580 1.5gb
    water cooling, Blu ray, all the bells and whistles.
    "
    Ive been running a dual core 2.3 OC to 2.8, 4gb ram, and a 8800 GTS with 320 meg for past 3 or so years, runs everything but crysis great.  PC gaming isnt what it was 10 years ago.  Doesnt get completely outdated every 2 years anymore.
    ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By ribeye

I got a 580 a couple months ago or so and put it in the tower i've had for 2+ years already.  It has one generation under the i-series, it's a core 2 duo and 4 gigs of ram and with the new video card I plan on that lasting me 3 more years. 

Personally, if I was building one right now today, I would definitely get an i7.  as a matter of fact i would get this i7 specifically.  i5's are good processors and they have a great price/performance ratio, but they are considered a budget line.  Also agree that water cooling isn't really necessary but I wouldn't be afraid of it either, they make some really nice kits these days and it's no harder to hook up than it is to clip on a regular fan-based cpu cooler.  Antec makes some really nice cases, that one at the top there is really nice and really popular, i would also go with that if i was building one right now.

but to answer your question, yes that rig would absolutely last you 2 years and then some. You could play every game right now at max settings and will be able to for a while, by the time that thing starts to struggle you'll be thinking about Windows 9 and a shiny new DirectX 13 card
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Hmm, most of the time I have no idea what you guys are talkin about. :) And I was just about to ask whether there's a difference when plugging in thru DVI or HDMI...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @OracleXIII: hdmi is clearer from my experience, but most will argue dvi is the same signal, but though a bigger cable. If you can, use the hdmi.

My videocard is connected to my hdtv I use as a monitor so I could check. I find the colors a bit darker with dvi. Then again my cable is dvi to hdmi, but that's my observation anways. Argue how i'm wrong for all I care, I know what i'm looking at. I see alot more variance of greys.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    It will last you at least 2 years, more like 2.5 years.Metro 2033 will put your rig to the limit. You will get averagely 27-35 frames per second. With sli of that card, you will get like 60 at all times. You still can't play crysis at 60 frames with 16X AA regardless.
    What about games like Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2?
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @ribeye: @rebgav: The way I understand it is: (Physical cores/logical cores)
    i3 - 2/2
    i5 - 2/4 or 4/4
    i7 - 4/8 or 6/12

i5 and i7 also have some integrated graphics processing technology for the mobile platforms.

@OracleXIII: In terms of picture quality there is no difference between DVI and HDMI, essentially HDMI is DVI plus audio. I prefer to DVI though as on my last 2 monitors the HDMI doesn't put my monitor into sleep mode when I shut my PC down so I get a message on the screen telling me I have no input but the DVI does so I don't get annoying messages on my screen.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @OracleXIII: Should run okay, when I played dragon age 2 demo on the pc, it was choppy due to a design flaw if you set DX11. I honestly don't know how well it runs. But for the witcher 2, it's not out yet, but for your gtx 580, it should be more than enough to run the game. What you have to worry about is metro 2033 or battefleld 3, or crysis maxed out. Other than that, you should be able to run everything else no problem.

Here is a video, not sure what the cpu is, but it's not choppy. So I think it should be okay with your rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNUfEvjWoL4
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @HitmanAgent47: yeah that looks real good. Do you know of any patch or something like that that fixes the DX11 issue? 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @OracleXIII: not really, here is what bioware forum said. I didn't buy the game due to bad reviews, sorry if I can't speak from experience. Some ppl are saying there is sli issues, or there is alot of DX11 issues with low framerates. So that probally means most videocards will run into problems. Maybe it's not a well optimized game.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/300/index/6420212
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @HitmanAgent47: Seems to me like they shouldn't release a DX11 compatible product if it was originally made for DX10. Anyway thanks man. :)
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @OracleXIII: All DX10 games should run fine on DX11 hardware as DX11 is a superset of DX10, meaning everything in the former is in the later version. I just think the developers didn't make full use of DX11's API to fully optimise the game, like HitmanAgent47 said. Sloppy coding leading to poor results IMHO, but don't quote me on that.
    ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By ribeye
    @rebgav said:
    @ribeye said:
     " i5's are good processors and they have a great price/performance ratio, but they are considered a budget line."
    That's crazy talk. i5s are comparable to i7s minus a couple of features, notably hyper-threading. They're marketed mainly for gaming and media center systems. I've never heard them referred to as a budget line before. 
    i7s are the high-performance range, i3s are the base range for low-power systems. 
    Maximum PC refers to them as being budget in their best-of-the-best and even intel themselves says the i5's are just under the enthusiast level processors.  bottom line is i7's are faster, this guy wants a gaming PC that's gonna last him for a while and he has a healthy budget to work with, I see no reason not to go with an i7
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By amir90

I am just going to ask, what games do you play?

I remember you buying the witcher 2, maybe you should wait to let know which card can play it at max?

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @ribeye: I agree, and the i7 is designed for overclocking so get a K model and pump it up to 5ghz!
    JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By JudgeDread

amazed that no one has even mentioned noise level yet

If you have the money you definately should try to noise proof the PC as much as possible. Look at noise levels of video card, CPU cooler, Case fans, Power unit as well HDD dampeners and quiet cases

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By positrark

I strongly urge you to check out this guide.

The Premium Player build seems to be exactly what you want.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @Positrark said:
    I strongly urge you to check out this guide.The Premium Player build seems to be exactly what you want.
    Yeah seems like the thing to get. :)

@amir90: I play pretty much all games with the exception of RTSs and sports, however shooters and driving games will remain on the consoles for me. Mainly RPGs for the PC. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.