Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So what's a good antivirus (paid or free) these days?

• 53 results
    Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

ADWcleaner, Malwarebytes, Avast free

After doing some questionable installs (and still doing custom installs), some shady stuff got onto my computer. Avast did a great job blocking registry hacks but didn't find much on the full system scan. Malwarebytes got rid of the PUP that installed the shady crap. And after all was said and done, ADWcleaner polished everything off by finding every last trace of crap left behind by the adware. After that little episode, I can't recommend ADWcleaner enough, on top of everything you already have.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I used a trial for ESET about 2 or 3 years ago and liked it a lot, but I'm too cheap to actually pay for it. I just settle for Malwarebytes and MSE since they're free and get the job done, though if I ever decided to cash up for an AV I would definitely go with ESET, easy to use and not a memory hog.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I have been using Bitdefender, but it's a bit on the costly side, $70 for a year, though if you live in a shared household, you can buy 3 licences for a year for $150 (or 5 for $200) and save some money that way. I really like it, it's quiet in terms of how much it bothers you about stuff, speedy, and I have yet to get a virus while using it. It even has a Game-Mode setting that you can turn on that makes it quiet right down to improve performance. I had been using CA Antivirus before Bitdefender, and I'd say that Bitdefender trumps it in every way. It also has some simple PC clean-up functionalities, like registry clean-up.

nauticalnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eset Nod 32 here, and if you check NewEgg around Black Friday they will put it up for $5 to cover you each year otherwise they offer enough coupon codes each month that you can pick it up for $12-$20 for 1-3 PC's.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also never forget people still buy software on disks. You can often find your favorite antivirus on sale at places like Best Buy that have codes in them to renew a subscription. I just picked up a couple of years of ESET for 60% off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.