Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why arn't games as good anymore?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

Sure there are a few great games I like but they don't hold my interest and I remember before 2005 there were games that actually held my interest for a long time. Now I'm just bored of playing the same old thing and sick of these constant buggy ports that keep coming onto the PC, I swear it's like the 360 ruined gaming or something. I hate all this talk of Casual Gaming that has cropped up ever since the 360 and all of a sudden everyone wants a bit. I don't want games to go backwards and become dumb, thats fine for some people but that doesn't push innovation forward. For example I played on my friends Wii (that sounds so wrong I know) and there wasn't ONE good game on that system because while Super Mario Galaxy is a good game, Nintendo have just been doin that same Mario game for years. The rest of the titles seemed like the PS2 bargin bin games that nooned cared for but now all of a sudden cause it has Motion it is meant to be amazing. The motion is just a gimmick anyways and it isn't intuitive because it doens't pick up on alot of movements like you expect.

Like mmorpgs for example we used to have such innovation every year..

UO
    Everquest
    Dark age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Eve Online
    Planetside
    Everquest 2
    World of Warcraft

Now what do we have? Just a list of poor free mmorpgs that have come out, Korean Grind fests that all look the same and a bunch of WoW clones like WoWHammer that noone likes. It has been this way since 2005 and nothing good has come out for the genre at all. I don't get why developers think we all want to play a WoW clone........ No. WoW was good because it was made by Blizzard and you can't emulate that so you have to make something different again. All the WoW people are becoming bored of the game and why would they want to jump into a game that plays esactly the same when WoW already did ait and did it better?

I have alot of friends who asked me for a harder mmorpg because WoW is too easy, so challenge is a good thing. I'm sick of having my hand held all the time and sick of everyone being able to do everything because this isn't a single player game, people want to feel unique and be better than other people.

Why hasn't there been any mmofps like Planetside since that offered giant battles? Planetside came before mmorpgs were popular and before most people would pay a monthly fee. However now if you told people with a new graphics engine that they could have FPS battles online with 5000 people on the server then they'd jump at the chance.

Whya re we moving away from being able to change the world and have meaning? Why are we moving away from customization and death penaltys? These are things that are fun and SWG proved that everyone loves player cities and player housing where you could have your own space. We don't want it to be instanced because then it has no meaning in the world but when it's in a seamless envrionment then suddenly it is personal.

Most genres are going backwards like this and I'm note sure if it is down to this casual crowd or what. I'm just sick of the way games are going and if anything as developers have left the PC and gone to the console. All we'll see is more bad ports and more dumbed down gameplay because it doesn't attract the console crowd and they don't have a mouse and keyboard to have complex UI's.

The future looks even dimmer for the mmorpg genre where really the only thing on people's Radars is ToR which will be kid friendly and fast paced with nothing complex because thats what Lucas Arts wanted with SWG and the NGE and they took out all the good features.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By crunchUK

The correct answer is why are there far more games that i really want to buy than i actually have money for??? and i only own a 360 (and a wii but for all i care it might as well not exist)

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

don't look too deep into this...
    all I know is that as a console gamer and an FPS fan I am enjoying myself. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

PC is getting buggy / lack luster ports because PC gaming doesn't bring in enough money (what with the shrinking userbase and expanded piracy) to warrant much focus on PC exclusive features, graphics content or QA.  It's not a sudden thing, it's been a continuing trend since the mid 90's.  360 is not casual gaming, 360 is where former PC gamers like me went when PC gaming started to become not worthwhile.  There is a casual movement on PC with stuff like Counterstrike, Starcraft, web games, Runescape, and WoW, but that's separate.  There's also the Wii casual movement.  Despite even Wii being casual, Mario Kart Wii was the best Mario Kart IMO since the SNES one, and I've played all of them.  Some casual PC games are cool too, Peggle IMO is awesome, can't wait for the XBLA version.

WoW is not innovative at all.  It's one of the pinaccles of casual gaming.  EQ was more casual than UO, most games like DAOC and SW Galaxies were just EQ copycats.  Then Blizzard found a way to make MMOs more casual.

If anything we'll see an increase in quality FPS and action MMOs on consoles and PC now (you brought up Planetside).  Planetside was cool, but the lag and action in that game was HORRIBLE.  You couldn't stand playing it today unless you have really low standards.

Every developer wants their own WoW, but they're all failing HARD.  They need to make different kinds of MMOs, they NEED to make console MMOs, and maybe they should try making MMOs with more hardcore gameplay, and sell it to the market that will buy it.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

lol i hate pc 2

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ArchScabby

I think games are just as good.  My post is pointless, but true.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

Overall I think games are better than ever before.  Certain genres have taken hits.  WoW has killed MMOs IMO (for the time being).  Not enough good space sim games (played X3, kind of sucks).  Flight sims have taken hits.  Some genres have risen from the dead (adventure games).  Generic action games are WAYYY better than they used to be.

Overall games are somewhat better, but if you only liked certain genres, maybe you'd be disappointed these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Diamond said:
    "PC is getting buggy / lack luster ports because PC gaming doesn't bring in enough money (what with the shrinking userbase and expanded piracy) to warrant much focus on PC exclusive features, graphics content or QA.  It's not a sudden thing, it's been a continuing trend since the mid 90's.  360 is not casual gaming, 360 is where former PC gamers like me went when PC gaming started to become not worthwhile.  There is a casual movement on PC with stuff like Counterstrike, Starcraft, web games, Runescape, and WoW, but that's separate.  There's also the Wii casual movement.  Despite even Wii being casual, Mario Kart Wii was the best Mario Kart IMO since the SNES one, and I've played all of them.  Some casual PC games are cool too, Peggle IMO is awesome, can't wait for the XBLA version.

WoW is not innovative at all.  It's one of the pinaccles of casual gaming.  EQ was more casual than UO, most games like DAOC and SW Galaxies were just EQ copycats.  Then Blizzard found a way to make MMOs more casual.

If anything we'll see an increase in quality FPS and action MMOs on consoles and PC now (you brought up Planetside).  Planetside was cool, but the lag and action in that game was HORRIBLE.  You couldn't stand playing it today unless you have really low standards.

Every developer wants their own WoW, but they're all failing HARD.  They need to make different kinds of MMOs, they NEED to make console MMOs, and maybe they should try making MMOs with more hardcore gameplay, and sell it to the market that will buy it."

UO
    EQ
    DAOC
    SWG

All totally different from eachother and while they shared the same basic UI formats, the gameplay was nothing alike. WoW copied EQ and we all know this because the main devs for WoW all were massive EQ players which wanted to make their own improved EQ.

Sorry but if you say SWG and DAOC are EQ copy cats then you've never played them before. Thats like saying Half-Life is a Doom Copycat.

Also Planetside doesn't hold up today because SOE just let it die and didn't patch it to keep it fresh. The only reason why that game is not good today is because SOE ruin all their games. I don't know what  PC you ahd when you played it in 2003 but for me it never lagged what so ever, always had pings between 20-90. The action was fantastic for 2003 because it was like 1000 people battles and we've never seen that before and we never saw all the customization options like that in an FPS before with the whole cert system.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hexpane
    PapaLazarou said:

Like mmorpgs for example we used to have such innovation every year..

UO
    Everquest
    Dark age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Eve Online
    Planetside
    Everquest 2
    World of Warcraft

UO - groundbreaking, but ended up nothing but a PKing griefer fest

Everquest - unfair, unbalanced, and invented the idea of  "I thought you said this High Level plane would have mobs and loot but it's empty?" trick.  With all of the flaws, EQ is IMO king of kings

Dark age of Camelot - EQ killer, never lived up to any of the promises

Star Wars Galaxies - almost ruined MMORPGs for everyone it was so bad

Planetside - an experiment , problem is no one asked for a MMOFPS

Everquest 2 - Ooh look, moderately improved graphics and they designed a game based on avoiding all the cheats and exploits in EQ1, the result was a game no one wanted to play because you can't do "negative design" and expeect good ideas

World of Warcraft - the skittles of MMORPGs.  Colorful, popular, and lots of gay purple. 
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane
    Diamond said:
     Then Blizzard found a way to make MMOs more casual.

Actually blizzard STOLE the ideas for a "more casual MMO" from Everquest, not EQ PC but Everquest ONline Frontiers on the PS2.   Even the cartoony look and the whole "its ok to solo but even better in a group" ideas were stolen from EQOA which allows you to solo from 1-60 if you want, but you only get the uber look from raids (or glitching)
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate

Hasnt this thread been dup-locked twice already?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I think people need to realize something about why PC games are usually shipped "buggy" and "glitched":

PC'S ARE NOT PRESET SPECIFICATIONS!!!

There are tons of different builds for PCs.  It's not like there is one standard.  That's why you get "buggy" games.  If you are playing PC games and expect a game to be perfect the minute you install it, then I'm sorry - you are a stupid PC gamer.  End of story, seriously.  It's not like the PC developers aren't polishing their games.  It's the fact that your rig is different than my rig, so they've gotta try to build something for LITERALLY thousands upon thousands of DIFFERENT setups.

So, the next time you buy a PC game, expect it to not work properly.  That's the price we pay for superior performance once the patches come out.  That's the price we pay for precision controls.  That's the price we pay for playing on something with infinitely better graphics.  That's the price we pay for being PC gamers.

And what's with this WoWhammer stuff?  Have you PLAYED WAR?  I did...for about two months.  The only reason I'm even back on WoW is because my buddies didn't want to jump over to WAR...and given that MMO games are a SOCIAL MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE, it seemed kind of pointless to pay for something where I wasn't having fun WITH MY FRIENDS!  I had tons of fun playing that game, and there was a lot to do in it.  Moreover, it had vastly superior PvP and community interaction over WoW.  So don't go saying the game is just a WoW clone, as it's not even in the same category as WoW.  Sure, it has some graphical similarities, but that's about where it all stops!  Fuck, man.  You don't even need to get mods for WAR, as they included everything in the game to start!!!

*ugh*  Some people...

Oh, and should I go on the rant that the only reason Warcraft even EXISTS is because Blizzard couldn't cut it when they were making a Warhammer game, so they had to STEAL EVERYTHING THAT GAMES WORKSHOP HAS DONE IN ORDER TO MAKE THEIR FRANCHISES?!?!?!
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By strangeling
    Diamond said:
    "PC is getting buggy / lack luster ports because PC gaming doesn't bring in enough money (what with the shrinking userbase and expanded Piracy) to warrant much focus on PC exclusive features, graphics content or QA.  It's not a sudden thing, it's been a continuing trend since the mid 90's.  360 is not casual gaming, 360 is where former PC gamers like me went when PC gaming started to become not worthwhile.  There is a casual movement on PC with stuff like Counterstrike, Starcraft, web games, Runescape, and WoW, but that's separate.  There's also the Wii casual movement.  Despite even Wii being casual, Mario Kart Wii was the best Mario Kart IMO since the SNES one, and I've played all of them.  Some casual PC games are cool too, Peggle IMO is awesome, can't wait for the XBLA version.

Every developer wants their own WoW, but they're all failing HARD.  They need to make different kinds of MMOs, they NEED to make console MMOs, and maybe they should try making MMOs with more hardcore gameplay, and sell it to the market that will buy it."
    Just sayin'.
    (that's linkyfied btw)
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coaxmetal
    Diamond said:
    "PC is getting buggy / lack luster ports because PC gaming doesn't bring in enough money (what with the shrinking userbase and expanded piracy) to warrant much focus on PC exclusive features, graphics content or QA.  It's not a sudden thing, it's been a continuing trend since the mid 90's.  360 is not casual gaming, 360 is where former PC gamers like me went when PC gaming started to become not worthwhile.  There is a casual movement on PC with stuff like Counterstrike, Starcraft, web games, Runescape, and WoW, but that's separate.  There's also the Wii casual movement.  Despite even Wii being casual, Mario Kart Wii was the best Mario Kart IMO since the SNES one, and I've played all of them.  Some casual PC games are cool too, Peggle IMO is awesome, can't wait for the XBLA version.

I am going to have to disagree on your point that PC is now casual gaming -- that all the hardcore gamers migrated over to the consoles. I put myself forward as a counterexample. I spend an unhealthy amount of my time gaming, and on non-casual games such as (atm) COD4, COD2, HL2 SMOD, soon FEAR 2, GTA IV. THere are even a number of non-casual non-mmo PC exclusives (though I admit that number is shrinking). A good example is the Witcher, which, if you can get past the mysoginistic aspect, has a great and in-depth story, as well as great gameplay. Storied RPG's and Adventure games (such as the longest Journey and Dreamfall) are not so casual, and neither are the wealth of FPS's for PC (and I really can't understand how anybody can play an FPS with a controller.) The RTS scene, though I don't play many myself, is also pretty much PC exclusive.

Oh yea, and Valve games are primarily for the PC (at least better on it, IMO) and they are certainly not casual.

I don't really see wow as casual either, simple given the level of addictoin some people have for it, but its probably worth mentioning that I have never played it. I do  agree with the rest of your points about it. Also, so as not to confuse the issue, I am not arguing that console gamers are any less hardcore than PC gamers, just that there are still plenty of hardcore PC gamers. There are casial gamers on consoles, too. My roomate has a PS3 and plays mostly sports games and stuff -- He is not primarily a gamer.

A short note on a different issue -- Piracy -- I admit that I have and do occasionally pirate games, but for the most part if I end up enjoying and playing through the game I purchase it. The main reason is that I can't do something like rent a game to test it out, and I don't want to pay full price for something I might not like. I know plenty of poeple who believe likewise... but also plenty who just pirate, which hurts the PC gaming industry =(

Ok, I think thats enough from me for now.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By atejas

Not an MMO fan, but I honestly think videogames are getting better gameplay, but worse writing.
    Well, except the FPS and jrpg genre, which are in their individual death throes.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coaxmetal
    atejas said:
    "Not an MMO fan, but I honestly think videogames are getting better gameplay, but worse writing.
    Well, except the FPS and jrpg genre, which are in their individual death throes."
    I don't really have much to say about JRPG's, since those are mostly for consoles anyway and I havent played much since FF6 and Tales of Phantasia (SNES era), but I don't really think the FPS genre is dieing. Sure, a lot of games are "more of the same" but I don't really object to that, if the same is somethign I enjoy. And there have been some great recent or upcoming FPS releases -- Left 4 Dead, FEAR 2, COD4 are some examples.

It is unfortunate that a lot of recent games have poorer writing or story, but, to use the Witcher as an example again, as well as (hopefully) the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins, good story isn't dead. Story isn't exclusive to RPG's either, the COD4 SP campaign was excellently written. I would still like to see more story and good writing in games though.
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By OGCartman

Dude, i TOTALLY agree.
    Completely.

Im not sure why, i wish it was still the 90s / early 00s.
    In some ways i blame the graphics and the fact that it seems almost everything has been done now since PC games are sooo mainstream.

Hopefully the video game genre will continue evolving, although the late 90s were my favorite, theres so much untapped potential.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadow

well...my entire post was deleted while I posted it so instead of writing it out again.........you're wrong

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wuffi

hmm maybe because they are spending more time making it look good then actually being fun.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By mracoon

While I don't know much about MMOs there are still a lot of amazing games which are on PC that I play and which are better then their console counterparts. Look at TF2 and L4D. The PC version of those games are so much better then the consoles ones and they get updated with new content quite regularly.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alex_V

I just don't agree with the basic premise - that games are necessarily any worse than 'before'. There are lots of great games about - perhaps you aren't looking in the right places. If games don't grab you in the same way that they used to, perhaps it's due to changes in your own life. You seem to want a very specific niche MMO to be made, and I hope the industry caters for your needs in the future, but in the meantime there's plenty to enjoy.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShiroMe

This is a joke right?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kozzy1234

I love games that are coming out these days, just as i loved the games 20-22 years ago.

Although i do agree that MMOS suck now. I loved Ultima Online but havnt really enjoyed any other MMOs since then.

I want a ULTIMA ONLINE 2!

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shazam

*sigh* Remembers Dark Age of Camelot ... what a game.

I never got WOW somehow, I think I'm just bitterly loyal that way.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

MMO's are an extremely bad example. They are a very new genre, and thus advancements in the genre happened quickly, and have since slowed down in line with most other genres.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By warxsnake

because people pirate games and its not lucrative to make games solely on PC anymore where the game could shine if given proper support financially in the developement process.

Yes piracy directly effects the quality and quantity of AAA games on PC. You will see more multiplatform titles that focus on the x360 devkit, and few PC exclusives if the publisher and developer are willing to waste money.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Zripwud

This is just me. But I don't think games aren't good anymore. I think we all know they could be a lot better than they are. With all this technology we keep making mindless shooters. I'm not against mindless games, I'm against don't using the power the games have to tell meaningfull stories. Good stories.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zripwud

Besides, I think theres a lot more context than before. Now games are popular, they're everywhere. We've got a lot of things that we didn't have before. A lot more critique, hype, expectations. Things aren't the same, why should games be the same?

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By ManlyBeast

Cause they're not

DeeDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DeeDee

I agree.  Food isn't as good as it used to be either, and neither is sunshine!

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I agree that MMOs don't innovate, but Warhammer Online took WoW to the next logical step, and it has a solid user base right now. I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

As far as FPS, RTS, etc, here's a few games to try or keep an eye on

Dawn of War II- Think "tactical RTS"
    Demigod- RTS from Chris Taylor, always innovative
    Sins of a Solar Empire- Best 4X Game I've ever played.
    Supreme Commander (and expansion)- Chris Taylor at his finest
    Oblivion w/ mods from users- Hands-down the best RPG out there
    Dragon Age Origins- Bioware RPG. Need I say more?
    SW: The Old Republic: Bioware's First-ever MMO. If anyone can liven up that party, its those guys.

If that isn't enough to keep you busy and happy, then you just should stop gaming altogether.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By toowalrus

Yep, pretty much everything in your post is wrong. Gaming is ever-evolving and is growing better and better. Fuck you, Mario's in space, bitch!

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By VACkillers

just going to mention, that if you want an MMORPG FPS then look for huxley...

Using the UT3 engine, its been a heck of a long time in the making but i do believe it was finally shown at this years GDC... so check that out....

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MOLE

Its because your standards have risin so much from those games.  Its as simple as that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.