Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Will you be early adopter of Windows 10?

• 109 results
    Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Poll Will you be early adopter of Windows 10? (549 votes)

Jumping in! 72%
    Holding off 28%

So windows 10 is about a month away from releasing. I've only recently hopped onto the PC gaming ride and have been with Windows 8.1 from the get go. With Windows 10 looming, I'm worried that if I jump in from the get go I will experience a slew of bugs with games that I play; especially the older ones. I know that past iterations have caused gaming related problems early in their cycle so that is what makes me weary. I'm going to be holding off for a good portion to let others test the waters on this one.

Will you be hopping right into it? How long will you wait until you do? Do you believe the testing period will have made severely lessened the potential for gaming bugs compared to older iterations?

(Side question for me, did earlier iterations have the same sort of testing period that Windows 10 has had?)

• 
    jsgr93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I tried it out on my laptop and it's a nice OS. Does anyone know any info regarding clean installs? I'm guessing you'll still need to inevitably buy Windows 10 once it's time to change your motherboard. Considering I'm planning to upgrade soon, I probably won't see any benefit from a free version if that's the case

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mikemcn said:

Early OS adoption is for crazy people, why would you put the core of your computer to chance? I have alot of older games that I play occasionally whose play-ability goes right out the window if I even upgrade from 7 to 8, not to mention software. I don't even like updating my Iphone firmware unless I have to.

If you have a spare computer to fuck around with, fine, but I'm not upgrading the OS on my main PC until it dies. Maybe i'll buy a new gaming computer and try 10, but I doubt that I will.

I know that Windows 8.1 has compatibility mode where you can set individual programs to run as if they were running on an older iteration of Windows. I've never had to do that so I don't have much experience with it, but I couldn't imagine this feature NOT being in Windows 10.

Also: Playability*

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#53  Edited By monkeyking1969

A year after Win 10 official launches, I will buy a new computer with it. My MS Surface is getting old, but I really would rather wait to see what I really want. Do I want a tablet? Do I want a laptop? Do I want another hybrid?

I have nothing against WIndows. Yes, Win 95 sucked, and then two generations after Win 2K sucked too...okay, yes, WIndows Vista was really hot garbage. But Win 98 was decent, Win XP was super, and Win 7 reliable for me. And, truth be told WIn 8 was not as bad as people say, oh it was super dumb, but it worked. Some of my favorite computer ran Win 98, XP, and Win7. In fact my favorite computer ever, was a 10" Samsung WinXP Netbook. What a rock solid, fantastic computer in terms of price and function that was....I miss it.

With that said, I'm a little leary of MS saying for years "Our OS is worth $100-$200...so buy it assholes!" to them now saying, "Well it is free for you guys..." I think Microsoft should just make their OS cost $20 for consumers and $12 for OEMs. That way nobody needs to steals it, people find it worthwhile to BUY a fresh copy for each device they own or upgrade, and everyone gets paid. Sure, it must cost billions to develop and OS, but they can make that money back just in having the OS volume priced for hundreds of millions of people.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm on Win7. I'll upgrade to 10 for free.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no! I ran Windows 7 until a week ago. I suspect I'll be running Windows 8.1 until Windows 11 or whatever they call the next iteration. Though I might update sometime before you have to pay if it reviews well enough.

Also:

• weary = tired
    • wary = cautious

Drives me bonkers!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By NTM

Isn't it free (of course, depending on which windows you have currently)? I mean, yes. Why not?

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already been testing the preview build on a secondary laptop and see no reason why I shouldn't upgrade my primary machine. I'll just do a full backup and do the upgrade. Easy peasy.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Isn't it free (of course, depending on which windows you have currently)? I mean, yes. Why not?

I'm reading that the free upgrade will likely be OEM in that it will be tied to your motherboard, i hope that's not true.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ntm said:

I'm reading that the free upgrade will likely be OEM in that it will be tied to your motherboard, i hope that's not true.

If you're upgrading an OEM or system builder's licence it will be. If you upgrade a retail licence I'm pretty sure it won't.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:
    @oursin_360 said:
    @ntm said:

If you're upgrading an OEM or system builder's licence it will be. If you upgrade a retail licence I'm pretty sure it won't.

If that's the case, while I don't mind that much, I feel like they shouldn't place it on my desktop toolbar as an advertisement if they weren't just going to give it for free. This is all it says on the site:

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled. See the Windows 10 How to Upgrade page for details.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@sinusoidal: The thing to keep in mind is that if you want to be on DirectX 12, you'll need Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8 will be limited to DirectX 11. That is the only reason I'm considering upgrading to 10 at all.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Really now? This seems shifty on Microsoft's part..

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mike

@sinusoidal: From what I understand, it's because DirectX 12 is built into the new Windows 10 kernel. It isn't some separate thing that they can easily just flip a switch and have DX12 on Win 7 and 8, at least from what they're saying. Who knows if that is true or not, but there you go. If you ever want to use DirectX 12 - and you're going to - you will need Windows 10.

At least it's free for almost everybody with a legitimate copy of Win 7 or 8.

As I noted yesterday, I cloned my main OS drive with Win 8.1 Pro N on it to another partition and upgraded that one to the Windows 10 technical preview. I definitely can't use it yet, one of my devices doesn't work at all, and it looks like none of my existing Virtual Machines will run in Windows 10 either. I could probably spend the time and get things working, but I'm not going to bother with it right now.

I'll try again when the full release of Windows 10 comes out, but I think this is going to be another situation similar to the Windows 7 to 8 upgrade for me - I'll be waiting until everything is stable and working until I fully switch over. I'm probably an edge case though, I'm sure Windows 10 will be fine for most consumers.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't see any reason to avoid it, it's another update to the Vista kernel and it's been in open beta for ages so compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

I wish Microsoft would get away from all devices one operating system and use multiple operating systems with good interconnectivity. But oh well I am stuck using windows 7 and Linux at work.

And I will try windows 10 just see it, but I will probably just stay on 7 for now and hope that DX 12 appears after few months.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll probably upgrade on my gaming PC, but not on my laptop. I need my laptop for software for university work/applications, daren't take the chance that any wouldn't work.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready to make the jump, I didn't upgrade to 8 or 8.1 and have been rocking 7 for a good 5 years that I'd like a change.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait a month. I "upgraded" from 7 to 8, when it came out and rolled back the day after.

I'll wait to hear from people I trust. DX12 sounds good and the nuts and bolts of 8 was also great, it was just the horrendous UI. If thats sorted, i'm in.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm running the preview build now. Seems fine. I don't like that it had like 8 questions during installation that said "Hey, do you want to send your location and activity to us and our partners?" If you do "express" installation, they'll be allllll up in your shit.

Games work well, no compatibility issues at this time. I'll jump in right away upon its full release. The only issue I have is that Battlelog keeps defaulting to Project Spartan instead of Chrome.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jumping from 7 to 10 yes. DirectX 12 is good enough reason to make the move.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruff182 said:

...it was just the horrendous UI. If thats sorted, i'm in.

Well that part is already well known since the Technical Preview has been available for months at this point.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Can't be much worse than 8, which is currently running on my laptop. And I like the remote play ability; I mostly play Xbox One, and I work really long hours, so when I come home my roommate is often already using our TV.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have preview running off my ssd now and it's pretty good so far. Haven't tried many games but arkham knight runs the same (like shit) and still seems to have the memory leak. Not sure if it's just the ssd , windows 10, or both but it boots and runs super fast. The UI is pretty good, way better than 8 was.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I've been running on a partition for a while, it's good!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not if this ad pushing thing, and the forced updates turns out to be a real thing. If it is then hell no.

Avatar image for richietheduderhodes420
    richietheduderhodes420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

holding off as im afraid it will top tunning many games i play as i enjoy lots of older pc games as well as new ones and at first was excited to hear windows 10 would be improving game performance then figured its probly mostly with xbox one games

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

I'll opt in early, but not specifically for gaming. I just want my traditional start menu back. :(

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Corvak

Going for it. It's free and worst case scenario is I put in my Win7 disc and downgrade if it's crap. For compatibility I always have VirtualBox to fall back on.

Nothing on my home PC is really too important, and I don't really lose anything but time by formatting the system drive. It's just a gaming box, after all.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

I'll wait and see what the initial reactions are before jumping in myself. It's free and I don't really do any gaming on PC, so I won't exactly lose much when upgrading.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only wonder if my upgrade windows 7 license qualifies. It's an upgrade from vista and currently on an unused laptop.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Considering that it's a free UG, why not? Everything I've read seems to indicate that it's mostly Win7 but snazzier and Dx12 is gonna matter in the future.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I'm using the preview build right now and I'm going to keep it until the final release is out. It's fully functional and everything works on it and it's a better experience than Windows 8.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#84  Edited By big_jon

I probably will, though that preview program thing was garbage on my laptop, buggy as all hell and it barely ran, it got so bad that I had to go back to 8.1.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. gonna duel boot the Preview Program and Final (for when I need stability/the Preview OS breaks)

DX12. Only reason really.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to get off 8.1 on to what appears to be a much better OS.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to hold off a bit to see if Windows 10 launches and breaks everything or something, but if all is running smooth after a few weeks I'm definitely going to install it.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Home Theater PC connected to my living room television. I'd love to give commands to Cortana to play something on Spotify or to send directions to my phone. I'm sure that stuff won't be ready out of the box but I'm a developer so maybe I can throw something together.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I probably should wipe my installation. I might upgrade to Win 10 as well. But I want to to a clean install. Can you buy usb drives then (my current machine has no optical). My working computer is a Mac anyway. I only trust Windows with games.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Player1

I'm looking to build my first PC as I finally have a job that can support such a lavish expense. I obviously can not wait! One quick question (I'm sure I will have more in the future), After reading this thread I've realized that it may be smart to just start with 7 and upgrade when the kinks have been worked out? Thanks for any advice.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@player1: There is no reason not to, since you can get Windows 7 for super cheap (or sometimes free if you're a student or developer) and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free when you're ready.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel: You can download Windows ISOs directly from Microsoft and make bootable USB drives from them. I install Windows like that all the time, since I don't build PCs with optical drives anymore.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

got windows 7 on my pc and im properly sticking with that until i find out if windows 10 is worth it. got windows 8 on my laptop. never liked it to much so im gonna change that for win10 to test it out

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Running the preview build now.
    So far so good, I'm only on day 3 though.
    Start menu is way better than 8/8.1 so that's cool.
    Xbox app is pretty good to have if you've got an Xbox One.
    Installed Steam and Origin and tested a couple games, all is well.
    Directx12, b-b-b-b-bring it.
    Not sure how the transition goes from preview build to my free upgrade from 8.1 but I'm ready to do this.
    Hopefully the process is as easy as entering the product key.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will think about it if MS implements PC stream to Xbox One. That will be pretty cool. DirectX 12 is cool and all but then I would need to upgrade, and you know the console ports will be console ports.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm pretty fond of Windows 7. Will wait a few months and read impressions before making the jump. But I am looking forward to it!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Nope, Windows 7 is more than fine for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
    deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just so y'all know, one of the features of Windows 10 is that if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 and dislike it, you can go back to your old OS for 30 days after installation. It's one of the built in recovery tools.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give a month or two just to make sure everything is good and all of my favorite games and programs don't have any major issues. (Going by what people are saying based off the preview, it sounds like everything is fine, but still) Honestly I'd be completely fine with Windows 7 but meh, it's free and I'm kinda forced to because of DirectX12.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.