Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

World of Warcraft's mistakes revealed

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By infestedandy

Jeff Kaplan spoke at GDC about the mistakes WoW has made and he was right to an extent. This article is about the things he left out and I thought it'd be a pretty interesting read for the boards.

You can find it here.

What do you guys think?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Overabudance of quests was a mistake? I thought it's one part they really wanted to do. Something like measuring their development quest numbers with everquest's estimated 600 and they wanted to top that and make players ALWAYS have something in their quest log and disliking it when it's empty... I think they succeeded. Whatever design mistakes people perceive, clearly it worket out for them in the end.

I also don't see a problem with too much text. Do you even need to read anything other than item descriptions after you get the gist of the game? Having lore in a game where people are bound to spend hundreds of hours of their lives is a good thing, it adds character, and WoW's lore is pretty well done, though personally I didn't care too much for it when I was playing and just treated the thing like Diablo on steroids.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Biggest mistake to me was making it so noob-friendly... killed the experience for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Biggest mistake was putting in battlegrounds killing world PvP when they could have made contested territory actually mean something and let you capture it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

This guy only ever posts to plug his articles, and then he never responds or does anything else. His threads are worthless plugs. These should be locked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

PapaLazarou said:
    "Biggest mistake was putting in battlegrounds killing world PvP when they could have made contested territory actually mean something and let you capture it."
    This, man that would have been awesome, but of course we had to get that shit infested battlegrounds.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Obviously that worked for them. It just didn't work for you. I'm sure they don't consider it a loss while they're swimming in mountains of money.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Biggest mistakes (from a hardcore Blizzard / WC fan)...

• Going too deep into the lore instead of making new material. Destroyed the reason I enjoyed the WC3 / FT games so much.
    • Too casual as previously stated. They catered way too much, and thus, I'm not playing WoW anymore.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have more reasons, just not at this time.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

1. Overabundance of quests in a single area -
    I don't see this is as problem, I quest in one area until I'm done, then move to the next.
    2. Misleading players by not informing them where to go - WoW has a huge database of addons and info. If I'm confused, QuestHelper or Thottbot will help out.
    3. Tedious and repetitive quests - Yep. What else is there to keep you occupied for the amount of time between levels 1-80.
    4. Items/vehicles required to complete a quest that don’t function well -
    ???
    5. Extensive amounts of text -
    I played for fun, not for story, text is easily skip-able.
    infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By infestedandy

Jayge, it's really not a big deal. Forums are here for sharing information and that's what I'm doing. I visit these forums a few times a week when I have the free time to spare.

The bulleted list with those five things are what Kaplan talked about at GDC ToolWalrus.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Lazyaza

Wows only real problem from my experience with it was the sheer amount of time required to get what you wanted in the game.  If its not grinding mats to make items its grinding bosses to get items. 
    What I would give for an mmo where items were a rare bonus and not the freaking foundation of everything you are capable of.  A naked mage should be able to do everything a fully clothed mage can, not like their outfit is what makes them magicial in the first place right?  All the time they spend modeling new shiny epics they could put towards making new bosses to kill and places to go.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
    infestedandy said:
    "Jayge, it's really not a big deal. Forums are here for sharing information and that's what I'm doing. I visit these forums a few times a week when I have the free time to spare. The bulleted list with those five things are what Kaplan talked about at GDC ToolWalrus."
    ToolWalrus? TOOLWALRUS?? ...
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I like the extensive amount of text, but my biggest beef with WoW was that the text was too damn hard to read with my sight.  I think any game with a reasonable amount of text should come with options to change the font size and color for both the text and its background.  I even ended up going back to LOTRO because WoW's text gave me migraines.

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deadmonkeys

All I ever want to know is how many fucking boar livers I need to complete the quest.

I DID pay attention to the DK quests though... those were awesome.

infestedandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By infestedandy

Ahahahaha, sorry about that man.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tmthomsen
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "I like the extensive amount of text, but my biggest beef with WoW was that the text was too damn hard to read with my sight.  I think any game with a reasonable amount of text should come with options to change the font size and color for both the text and its background.  I even ended up going back to LOTRO because WoW's text gave me migraines."
    Ehh.. you can actually do that. Always been able to.

Unless you're talking about the questtext, but that could easily be changed with some addons.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
    infestedandy said:
    "Jayge, it's really not a big deal. Forums are here for sharing information and that's what I'm doing. I visit these forums a few times a week when I have the free time to spare. The bulleted list with those five things are what Kaplan talked about at GDC ToolWalrus."
    What's the difference? How many different boards do you go around spamming your crap to?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187
    Bucketdeth said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    "Biggest mistake was putting in battlegrounds killing world PvP when they could have made contested territory actually mean something and let you capture it."
    This, man that would have been awesome, but of course we had to get that shit infested battlegrounds."
    World PvP = Stranglethorn and Sholazar FTW!

Wintergrasp is a poor attempt at "RvR" play.\

I could name a thousand mistakes that WoW made...easily...but when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter because they continue to collect my $15 a month.  =  /
    Avatar image for existentnighthawk
    existentnighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got into the game when my friends urged me to play... wasted a lot of my life... but I quit that crap. NOW they want me to go on a private server with them (you know so you dont have to pay)... But whatever, I may or may not play it again.

The PUGS are stupid and the PvP is getting worse and worse. WoW is failing now imo.

This just adds insult to injury. Granted the games well done and designed and blah blah blah, but you got these 10 year olds infesting it because it looks 'cute'. Do I really want to play a cute game where its divided between tards and hardcore gamers? The casuals like me are in between, and when I payed for it I played for maybe 2 weeks out of the entire period. Now paying for games can be good/bad depending on how you look at it, but the fags will find themselves a way in eventually.

Screw their bullshit. I dont need to explain to them why someone hacked my account (happened before).. I dont need to give them any more money to their multibillion dollar industry. Its time we found a new game to play. Something like WoW but way less gay... I am awaiting Champions Online atm, and have been playing WAR which is not half bad, and I love PvP.

All time my favorite was DAoC but those days are gone now *cry*

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By trav3ler

I joined near the beginning, quit years ago because it was waaay too addictive.  The problem with making contested territory capturable is that on every server I played on way back when (before BC, 5 different servers), there was always one dominant faction - 3 of them were Horde, 2 Alliance.  It seems to be the norm on every server that one faction becomes the "good" faction, and everyone new joins them because they want to be on the winning side, thus, that faction grows even more powerful than the "losing" faction.  This will just lead to one faction controlling all the Contested Territory all the time, and getting all the bonuses for holding that territory.  More and more people joining the server will join that "winning" faction, the game will become all but unplayable for people in the "losing" faction, since so much of the mid-late game requires you to be in Contested territory, and they'll eventually either quit or migrate to new servers en masse, and the server will become dominated by one faction entirely, killing any PvP.  The winners will eventually become bored with running MC over and over, they'll also quit or migrate, and the server will die.

That was the whole point of battlegrounds - to allow for one side to grow more powerful than another without breaking the game balance or ruining people's fun.  Even if Horde outnumbers Alliance 5 to 1 on a server, they can still join the battleground and be assured of an even-numbered 5v5 Warsong Gulch fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.