Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Who did you romance?

• 182 results
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Makoto is definitely best girl, with Takemi as a runner up. Yeah, my character is definitely a bit of a philanderer, and I kinda accidentally got into a relationship with Chihaya too. That last one is likely because one of the responses to her asking if you like older women is "Hell yeah I am." Also I helped her escape a cult, and that's alright.

I also really like Futaba, but the game lays on the "little sister who isn't actually your little sister" vibes in her confidant pretty thick, and so I went the platonic route for her. I also went platonic with Kawakami because being able to do the student/teacher relationship thing is super weird, especially since there was an entire social link arc in Persona 3 dedicated to a messy student/teacher relationship. Ann is alright, certainly more interesting than poor Haru, who I will at least give credit for not doing the whole "sheltered rich girl" thing too much in her confidant.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I also went platonic with Kawakami because being able to do the student/teacher relationship thing is super weird, especially since there was an entire social link arc in Persona 3 dedicated to a messy student/teacher relationship.

But 3 also had the MMO S-Link, which was the greatest thing ever.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@arbitrarywater said:

I also went platonic with Kawakami because being able to do the student/teacher relationship thing is super weird, especially since there was an entire social link arc in Persona 3 dedicated to a messy student/teacher relationship.

True! But the big reveal of the MMO S-Link literally happened on the last day of school (and made the entire saga of you playing a dying MMO with a constantly drunk person complaining about their job way funnier.)

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda said:
    @arbitrarywater said:

True! But the big reveal of the MMO S-Link literally happened on the last day of school (and made the entire saga of you playing a dying MMO with a constantly drunk person complaining about their job way funnier.)

Well, it's revealed to the teacher (whatever her name was) but I feel like it was obvious to the player long before that. The original release of 3 didn't even have the bonus S-Link scenes on the last day of school.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cagliostro88: Sorry for the all caps, but I was unable to hold it in any longer.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JohnTunoku

My character had a fling with the doctor before eventually deciding going with Futaba made more sense. Takemi's romance didn't seem too serious and my character hadn't met Futaba yet so it didn't feel too scummy.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my second playthrough and probably gonna go with Ann. She's got a nice personality and them Shakira hips.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Makoto is definitely best girl, with Takemi as a runner up. Yeah, my character is definitely a bit of a philanderer, and I kinda accidentally got into a relationship with Chihaya too. That last one is likely because one of the responses to her asking if you like older women is "Hell yeah I am." Also I helped her escape a cult, and that's alright.

I also really like Futaba, but the game lays on the "little sister who isn't actually your little sister" vibes in her confidant pretty thick, and so I went the platonic route for her. I also went platonic with Kawakami because being able to do the student/teacher relationship thing is super weird, especially since there was an entire social link arc in Persona 3 dedicated to a messy student/teacher relationship. Ann is alright, certainly more interesting than poor Haru, who I will at least give credit for not doing the whole "sheltered rich girl" thing too much in her confidant.

"Hell yeah I am." is actually not the romance-starting response for her; it's not until a later rank up, and if memory serves it's pretty clearly telegraphed like the others with the thought bubble of 'I should choose my next words carefully...'

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makoto, Originally was going for Ann and then later on in that link some of her ditzy habits straight up reminded me of a girl I used to know which I decided against it, and she also seems like Ryujis interest if anything.

And the little bit of personality they let ur main character have always seemed like to me that Makoto would be the "canon interest" if they ever go that route. And her overall storyline is honestly relatable

Would have went for Futaba as their link storyline is honestly adorable, but that character is like 14-15? And she always seems more like a sister if anything.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Efesell

@mrfluke: She is of an age with the other characters so round 15-16?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided that all the shit my character went through has made him want to fill the pain with multiple girls so hes poly.

Kawakami is my main squeeze unless another character blows that away. really entertaining personality

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tae all dae err dae. She's punk as fuck. She's smart as fuck. She just wants to help a little girl maaan. And she can prescribe anything you want. How the fuck is Makoto best girl when Tae's around? Yeah, her Persona is a motorcycle, but I guarantee she would never ride one IRL, whereas Tae can probably fix a damn motorcycle. Probably listens to Adolescents too.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: It is totally mentioned at some point that she has a proper motorcycle license though, and not just a fantastic monster version of one.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to see all of the events and then save scum back so I only have one GF. Really want kawakami but the double standard on the teacher thing makes me feel weird. Maybe its because I'm not in highschool like I was for the last game, but kawakami is far and away best girl

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, her Persona is a motorcycle, but I guarantee she would never ride one IRL, whereas Tae can probably fix a damn motorcycle. Probably listens to Adolescents too.

She has a license in Japan in Tokyo. And if you give her a model motorcycle she goes off on a nerd rant about the different parts you can get to mod it like the real thing. She has been waiting to get out from under sis's thumb then she'll be riding free.

Overall I would say Tae and Makoto are very similar. Makoto might not get to fully punk out later in life on the justice path rather than medicine but you can be sure she will be rocking some riding leather. I would also hazard to guess Tae was probably a lot like Makoto prior to the private practice life. They even both have almost the same chuckle.

I agree Tae is great ad all but she's not the best girl in comparison to Makoto. First off all you never date your dealer. It's a bad idea and bad business for the dealer.

Secondly being part of the crew she just gets so much more fleshed out. She is the most well rounded and developed character in persona and combines so many facets of other seemly completely disparate characters seamlessly. From Mitsuru you have student council president wanting to learn to cut lose and motocycle enthusiast. From Chie love of martial arts and action films as well loves of justice and wanting to be a cop. From Kanji will wreck your life if you get her to snap and heavy of the group. From Naoto being the most actually capable member of the team that is basically the leader after they show up.

Thirdly she just canon. At least two tie in the main story it is assumed he mc and Makoto are dating. Add in the third times in the social link. The game can say any harder that this is who you should date.

Additional note. Futaba's romance just feels like they sat in a room and said how do we make a dateable Nanako? Dead mothers. Single not on the short list for greatest fathers. Naivety about the world from being a child/shut-in. Akihabara might as well be the Junes.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Efesell

@ryuku_ryosake: I didn't see any of that in the main game or social link suggesting that she was some sort of default choice though..

Persona 5 seemed the least interested of them all in providing a 'canon' suggestion for a romance.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: In Sojiro's house he says "oh you're like that' when he finds her clinging to you. I'm also pretty sure he assumes your couple when she first shows up at the cafe which he didn't with Ann. When dealing with the gang members in the alley way you pretend to be a couple. At the beginning of the confidant the fake boyfriend situation comes about because her friend didn't believe you aren't a couple. I believe the game default allows you to go on the hawaii date with her and it is clearly romantic. As opposed to the school festival freebie date with Haru. Plenty of coupling flags all over the place.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to see all of the events and then save scum back so I only have one GF. Really want kawakami but the double standard on the teacher thing makes me feel weird. Maybe its because I'm not in highschool like I was for the last game, but kawakami is far and away best girl

I'm not gonna sit here and say a teacher/student relationship isn't wildly inappropriate, but there's a world of difference between Kawakami's situation and Kamoshida's. Consent, for example. Remember that the rumor at the beginning of the game was that Kamoshida and Ann were "seeing each other" and that was just treated as a piece of gossip.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryuku_ryosake: I dunno man that seems like you just have a favorite and are ready to see support everywhere.

Which is fine it's not like they're ever particularly interested in disrupting head canon.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Went with Makaoto, because I appreciate her inner beauty. By which I mean her Persona is a cool-as-fuck Motorcycle Pope! Takemi the Punk Rock Doctor is also a good choice, but I just don't see how anyone could see a Motorcycle Pope and not be immediately smitten.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider said:

I'm not gonna sit here and say a teacher/student relationship isn't wildly inappropriate, but there's a world of difference between Kawakami's situation and Kamoshida's. Consent, for example. Remember that the rumor at the beginning of the game was that Kamoshida and Ann were "seeing each other" and that was just treated as a piece of gossip.

You are absolutely right, I just feel kinda skevvy as a 23 y/o playing a ~16 y/o banging a 26 y/o

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryuku_ryosake: @efesell: well, fuck.

I might have to reconsider then. I was so immediately put off by her I did none of her confidant stuff. Still not best girl, but maybe cooler than I thought. We'll see how new game plus pans out...

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda said:
    @slyspider said:

You are absolutely right, I just feel kinda skevvy as a 23 y/o playing a ~16 y/o banging a 26 y/o

Yeah, that's fair! Do whatever makes you not feel skeevy.

misquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By misquared

Hey fam this is my girlfriend... she likes to LARP while she plays shogi, it's pretty cool

Hifumi = best, smartest, and prettiest girlfriend, 10/10 would date again

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By vocalcannibal

Makoto! I thought I'd be all about Futaba, but she was framed way too much like a little sister. It felt like dating Nanako. Also, come on, Sojiro specifically asked you not to date Futaba. I love my Coffee Dad too much to do that to him.

Edit: Oh, I also really liked Hifumi.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I went with Makoto because she actually had some brains. I felt like Ann and Ryuji should go off to be stupid and happy together. Futaba was basically a little sister. Haru just came in the the game too late for me to care. As for Tae and Kawakami, I felt like I would have went for one of them had the MC been in college instead of High School. Hifumi was my second choice as best romance option, but my MC was a loyal dude who was already taken, maybe next playthrough Hifumi.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was naturally drawn to Makoto, I don't even know if it would have been like persona 4 and had no negative impact if I tried to romance multiple characters, it seems you can only see one valentines event at a time anyways, so I don't think it would appropriate to cheat unless your a filthy heathen :-p

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was gonna go just Ann, but seeing as I probably won't bother with a NG+ run anytime soon(if ever) I'm going with all of them just to see the scenes play out.

No knock on the game I'm loving it, but I don't have the time to play a 100+ hour JRPG twice. Not with Guilty Gear Rev 2 and Tekken 7 around the corner gotta get that EVO training in.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makoto, she's amazing!! Hifumi is a close second though, and I really fancy Tae as well but ya...Makoto is the one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's surprising to me how strongly most people feel about Makoto. It's most people, right? I wish this was a poll thread to see actual numbers but I guess it's too late for that now.

zack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

kawakami

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the hardest time deciding in this game. Ann had the early advantage since she was kind of up first and I stuck with her. Damn though I was tempted to cheat...Makoto, Futaba, Takemi, Hifune...waifus...waifus everywhere.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Can you romance multiple girls or is it more like P4 where there it seems like you had to choose which one you went after even if you could social link with all of them?

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kawakami. I was really into the conceptual power inversion of that romance, and it's one that's best explored in a game instead of reality so I gave it a whirl. It was by no means an easy choice though. In P4 the only girl who came within a mile of Chie was Rise. This time I agonized between Kawakami, Takemi, Ohya, Futaba, and Makoto. I even came around on Chihaya and Hifumi after a while. My NG+ will absolutely have to be a polyamorous run, probably only leaving out boring-ass Ann and focussing on Makoto. I just dig her whole aesthetic and she seems more cannon than Yukiko ever did.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

Can you romance multiple girls or is it more like P4 where there it seems like you had to choose which one you went after even if you could social link with all of them?

You can, but there are consequences for doing so.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not done with the game yet, but I went for Makoto as soon as I could.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DystopiaX

Romancing all of them first time around so I can see what each route is, then gonna pick one for my NG+ playthrough.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

always feel like ann and yuske were meant for each other

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just dig her whole aesthetic and she seems more cannon than Yukiko ever did.

Eh? I'm pretty certain Rise is the most canon of the P4 romances

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3rd persona game and 3rd one where I didn't pursue a romance.

If I had done, I probably would have gone with Death.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#92  Edited By Mezmero

I went with Makoto. She always exudes the kind of competence and aptitude that I think my character would fall for. Her confidant story was kind of whatever but I like her a whole lot in the context of the main story. Plus I like when sometimes after you finish a fight with an all-out rush she just yells: "FISTS OF JUSTICE!" Every time I hear that I fall in love all over again. Haru is rather sweet and Futaba is fun and adorable. I liked the absurdity of Ann wanting to be an actress when she's always so terrible at acting in the main plot. I like and respect the adult ladies too much to subject them to the weirdness of dating a teenager. If I do another play through I might go for Haru or Hifumi.

A guilty part of me kind of wants to date Yusuke. What a freakin' weirdo... Damn you Matt Mercer and your soothing voice!

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody. Romance is something I've never had interest in pursuing in these games.

I'd date Ryuji, Yusuke, or Mishima if the game actually had the guts to let you date a dude. The game lets you date your teacher, for crying out loud.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Haru. One of my favourite confidant arcs in the game. The fortune teller was a close second.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By shorap

@mezmero said:

She always exudes the kind of competence and aptitude that I think my character would fall for. Her confidant story was kind of whatever but I like her a whole lot in the context of the main story. Plus I like when sometimes after you finish a fight with an all-out rush she just yells: "FISTS OF JUSTICE!" Every time I hear that I fall in love all over again.

I would be totally there with you if she was like that more outside the palaces and mementos. She's too Vulcan for my tastes. Hell she might be a robot. I half expected her at some point to say, "I see now why you cry...but, it's something that I can never do." Then she gives a thumb's up as she slowly descends into her pile of school books.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: I never saw The Animation/other supplementary stuff so I don't know what goes down there, but I maxed S. Links with every romance-able character in P4 and the only one I ever felt like I was supposed to romance was Yukiko. Same for Makoto here. That's just the feeling I got while playing. I thought Yukiko was boring as hell and passed on that possibility.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@shorap said:

@mezmero said:

She always exudes the kind of competence and aptitude that I think my character would fall for. Her confidant story was kind of whatever but I like her a whole lot in the context of the main story. Plus I like when sometimes after you finish a fight with an all-out rush she just yells: "FISTS OF JUSTICE!" Every time I hear that I fall in love all over again.

I would be totally there with you if she was like that more outside the palaces and mementos. She's too Vulcan for my tastes. Hell she might be a robot. I half expected her at some point to say, "I see now why you cry...but, it's something that I can never do." Then she gives a thumb's up as she slowly descends into her pile of school books.

This would've been even cooler than her transformer motorcycle persona

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elmorales94: Nah, dude. Teddie is always hitting on Yukiko and making her laugh.

Chie and Yosuke are always bickering and she's always hitting him

Kanji and Naoto....is obvious.

Rise is constantly hitting on your character.

The biggest nail in the coffin for these ships was in P4golden. There's a ski event where everyone is going down a slope in pairs- the pairs I just mentioned. I think Atlus is clearly *slightly* shipping these pairs.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure the MC in P4 is canon to have dated them all. He's usually implied to be a man whore in supplemental works.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: I realize that Rise perpetually hits on the P4 MC, but I view it similarly to how some people on here view Futaba: she's an emotionally underdeveloped kid. With a crush. That doesn't make a romance. Rise's interest in the MC bordered on creepy for me.

My standards for "canon" romance is basically just evaluating which girl is most closely characterized as being perfect without a credible opposing ship. That's Yukiko in 4, and it would be Ann in 5 if the Ryuji ship weren't so obvious. Instead it's Makoto. Both smart, popular, motivated, and perpetually reinforced attractiveness. How could anyone possibly resist, huh player?! *game aggressively nudges you in the ribs*

That said, it's all irrelevant cause none of this is ever proven and is based entirely on intuition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.