Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Gaikai Services

Lucheng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can you play digital PlayStation 3 games through Gaikai? If so it would really be amazing, having the ability to pop up Grand Theft Auto 5 at any time, any device to play on since I am also always on the go a lot. I understand that Sony is working on the service to be release sometime next year but I feel that the information about the service is still vague until someone gets a hands with it.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They are still working out the kinks so details are slim but if the sole measure of streaming games is OnLive then Sony/Gaikai has a lot of ground to cover to make it a viable service.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It'll probably be a subscription service with a small library of games that Sony chooses and not your entire library of games. GT5 would probably be a good candidate to be on that list though.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

There has been little details on what kind of game library will be set up for Gaikai. But when we do have Gaikai, they said it will be in 2014. I'm hoping they put a big library of games on all the way from ps1 to ps3. My ps3 is broken and do not have the pleasure of playing The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto 5, or Saints Row IV.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Basically, it a bit like Microsoft's self-publishing. Everything is kind of up in the air until they get the details ironed out, so we only know their most basic intentions.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I honestly doubt it will ever get working without significant lag.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Silver-Streak

@l33t_haxor: When Greenman Gaming had Galkai demos up, I was able to play a bunch of demos without any noticeable lag at all.

That being said I have 30mbps internet, so who knows what the average experience will be.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Saw Gaikai running on TV before Sony bought the company. Played about 5 minutes of The Witcher on it and saw no lag at all, but there was some slight compression artifacting, kind of like you see on the Wii U tablet. It was super impressive tho, and the guy said they were getting the same results on standard home grade internet connections with average latency and ping times.

Sony has also been building out the Gaikai servers to heavily populated areas more, so I expect as long as you have a decent internet connection, it'll work pretty well. If they can get it to work reliably for the majority, it would be a pretty big get for Sony to have access to their PS1/2/3 library on the PS4, and by the next generation, they could just add the PS4 library as well for access on the PS5.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

My guess, only a guess, is that Sony was being accurate when they said these functions would roll out slowly. I think when games come it will be PSOne and PSTwo titles that are selective, probably what you can download on PSN Store now. I would expect other games to follow with PS3 games not appearing until 2015.

At this point it is unclear about where the functions of PSN Store and Gaikai delineate. Who does what? Does the PSN Store deliver old games or Gaikai? How quickly will certain serves appear.

From what we know Gaikai will be SOny's Cloud gaming, game streaming technology, gaming on demand, and remote play solution across all platforms. But that doesn't mean PSN Store won't do many of those same functions for PS4 games, nor does it means roles will not be handed off over time. Again, I think Sony was being truthful that they HOPE to provide the services, but that such services will arrive over time.

My advice: If you want to play PS3 games over the next three years....keep your old PS3...because there will eb on other way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.