Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The PS4 Pro Is Missing A 4K-BD Player - Does That Affect Your Purchasing Decision?

• 52 results
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The PS4 Pro Is Missing A 4K-BD Player - Does That Affect Your Purchasing Decision? (285 votes)

I own a 4K TV and the lack of a 4k Blu-Ray player HAS NOT CHANGED my decision! 9%
    I plan on getting a 4K TV in the next year and the lack of a 4k Blu-Ray player HAS NOT CHANGED my decision! 14%
    I don't own and don't plan on getting a 4K TV next year and the lack of a 4k Blu-Ray player HAS NOT CHANGED my decision! 50%
    I own a 4K TV and the lack of a 4k Blu-Ray player means I WILL NOT buy it! 7%
    I plan on getting a 4K TV in the next year and the lack of a 4k Blu-Ray player means I WILL NOT buy it! 18%

The lack of a 4k Blu-Ray player in the new PS4 Pro has rustled some jimmies. How many jimmies and to what degree they are rustled is up for debate, so I pose the question to you, fellow duders: when you found this out, did that change you mind about getting a PS4 Pro? Obviously, the lack of a feature wasn't going to convince you to buy it (as that'd be a bit silly), so that option's missing/combined with the top three (aka your mind hasn't changed a bit about not buying it). I also broke it down between whether you own/plan on owning a 4K TV or not, as that's probably the number one factor for your personal interest in that feature.

I've also left out the confusing "I don't own/don't plan on a 4K TV and I won't buy it" because...why would it matter to you, then? Just go with the third option as you obviously have some other reason for not wanting it.

Me, I'm a PC guy, so I wasn't getting one anyway. I also don't own a 4K TV, but even if I did/was planning on one, they weren't getting my cash regardless. How about you?

• 
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hassun: Well, that's a function of them revealing it so early. They have to remind people that the specter of Scorpio is looming in the distance at every possible opportunity, lest our goldfish brains forget that it exists.

Personally, I think it'll land at $400. They'll crank as much power as they possibly can out of that price point, and then they'll decide how much of a loss they are willing to take past that. Pricing it beyond that bracket would be unwise, as the move to these half-step console generations may cause wallets to tighten a bit. If this was the XBONE 2 instead of Scorpio (and the usual X amount of years between), maybe $500 would work, but they're the underdog right now (at least in terms of worldwide sales) and I don't think they can afford to saddle themselves with such a pricetag if they want to win people over.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By hassun

@mirado: They definitely will have to release it at a competitive price but of course Microsoft is a company that can afford to take a loss. I can't see them being competitive at anything higher than $499 and they will probably at least have to match the PS4's $399.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.