Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PlayStation Network Partially Coming Back Online this Week With New Security Measures

• 198 results
    PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By PokeIkzai

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @xyzygy said:
    " Free PS Plus kinda sucks, I have absolutely no interest in that service. 

But still I'm worried that they'll just be hacked again after they get things up and running. They said the same things after Anon hacked them over a month ago and they were still hacked.
    "
    To be fair, after the Anon hack, they didn't have the public and government agencies breathing down their necks. So I think they may be taking matters more seriously now.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By mnzy
    @kerse said:

" Free PS+? Time to download as much of that stuff as I can. "

Yea...the store will still be down :>
    Odc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Odc

I guess it's lucky they were already building a new data centre!

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By shadystx

Well to be honest I have not lost any sleep over the PSN outage, It just so happened that i was playing FF13 before it went out and when i finished i started playing Portal 2 on PC so really i would not have been using it anyway.

I had not bought anything on PSN for several months and my CC had expired and so i had a new security code and Ex date so i was not to worried about fraud, the lucky part was i never changed my email address as i was using a very old aol email for PSN and had recently thought about changing it to my most recent email just before the intrusion so there is no worthwhile info to see on that address and well i still have not checked it to see if it's been spammed.

My one concern is putting new CC info into PSN, I am sure Sony will have finally secured their data but some trust has been lost, if i can get the downloadable title on steam or XBL i will purchase it there from now on, but i am sure one day will come when there is something i want to buy off PSN and i will stick my details in then.

A free month of PSN+ plus is nice, I doubt they will do this but it would be a piss take if they did, Having to put our CC info into PSN to get the free month like 30 day free trials of Love Film and so on, where you have to put your details in and agree to be automatically charged after 30 days unless you cancel before hand, like i said i doubt they will do this.

I suppose we will also lose all the free stuff Sony give us in our free 30 days which leads me to believe they may throw in some very cool free stuff to get people to pay for plus as they wont want to lose it, thats cool though their is nothing wrong with offering very good incentives to get people to subscribe to a service.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By captain_clayman

all i want is for nothing like this to never happen again.  (ALSO, FASTER DOWNLOADS AND CROSS GAME CHAT PLZ)

Nokterian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Nokterian

And everyone will forget what happend after a few days. It does show the lack of security sony has and now there adressing it. And they knew about the all the holes and leakes in the system but never did anything about untill now. It really shows how Sony is dealing with your privacy information and they decide now is the moment to upgrade security and install a security person to look over the whole system from now on. I am sorry for the PS3 owners i do not have one. But the lack and lazy things going on at sony that they still lived in the 90's is just unbelievable. To be honest Microsoft has all ready got a great infrastructure since they made software so they do know what is happening. 

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By geirr

Sony could've done worse, I mean what if they hadn't taken down
    their service and tried to ride on lady luck's shoulders. Hey that might be happening
    right now with any other service - who knows?
    Things could be worse indeed.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#109  Edited By tourgen
    @Fira said:
    " i would have to assume by that weak offering that credit card info was indeed not taken. "
    I wouldn't read too much into it.  Although they say the CC info was "in a different part of the database" they really don't know if the info was copied or not.  They're just crossing their fingers at this point and plastering shit over as fast as possible with a PR campaign.

At least our passwords were hashed before stored in the DB.  Although if they used something old like MD5 it won't really matter.  Anyway that password file is going to make the rounds and everyone is going to take a crack at it eventually.

My advice to everyone is that if you have any passwords that are in any way similar to your PSN account password go change them all now.  If you haven't already.
    TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By TigerDX

The really surprising thing about all of this is that they didn't already have a  Chief Information Security Officer. You'd think when managing 77 million accounts with sensitive information, that'd be pretty key.

It makes me wonder if Sony even employed regular pentesters.
    Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By Dreamfall31

Still with Sony 100%.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By twillfast

Perfect, I haven't bought Stacking yet!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#113  Edited By fisk0
    @mnzy said:
    " @kerse said:

Yea...the store will still be down :> "
    Yeah, without the store, what additional functionality does that actually provide? Automatic updates and cloud saves?
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Punk1984
    @fisk0: I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the "welcome back" stuff won't happen until the store is up since you need the store to get most of the things on the list.
    Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Xsheps

I don't trust Sony anymore.  Just picked up a 360S and the Razer Onza.  Way better.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Genjai

I still don't know what Qriocity is - and I just had to fix the spelling of that word, twice.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By fallen_elite
    @kerse said:
    Free games are removed from your account as soon as your membership expires. I think you only keep the stuff you pay for, even discounted. Smart move from Sony I guess.
    cdparrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By cdparrish

Just a reminder everyone, if  you use the same password from psn on anything change it. I forgot to change one of my cards and when I went to change it today It said I had failed to login too many times and it was locked. Thank god nothing was fucked with.

Avatar image for zombie_bigdaddy
    zombie_bigdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By zombie_bigdaddy
    @shadystx:  or you could use prepaid cards, you know ;D
    Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
    michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By michaelfossbakk

I have never used PSN for anything other than Netflix, which really doesn't count in my book. Thanks for putting me at risk for nothing, Sony.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#121  Edited By Little_Socrates

Well, I'd be getting free stuff if I was willing to give them my information again. They pretty badly needed to detail that they were going to encrypt our information if they wanted me to give it back to them, and they didn't.

NickFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By NickFury

Sony doing all they can to make things right, I just want my PSN back , I got withdrawal symptoms.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By valiantgoat

Working on a Sunday Patrick, I feel your pain.

FrankTheGank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By FrankTheGank

Wasn't expecting anything since I don't pay anything but I've been wanting to try PS+ so this will be awesome!

Raidster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Raidster

Emotions running wild!

PSN is a free service, something neat and dandy to have around. PSN+ is basically the Whiskey Media Membership (minus the cool friday show) or somewhat equivalent to Xbox Live Gold, but all of these services are just that, entertainment services. Shit hits the fan, the plug gets pulled, no more service for a little while. No biiggie.

As long as my credit card number has not been stolen, no harm done. I still got Xbox Live, Steam, my iOS games, my DS games, my original Xbox collection, my PS2 collection, cable, radio and, God forbid, a girlfriend to keep me entertained...

Not beeing able to whip my brother's ass with Kratos is a bitch, though... But what you gonna do...
    Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Roger_Klotz

Thank god, PlayStation home is coming back online.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Wow! this is actually a godsend for me cause I had forgotten my password and i lied originally about my birthdate (at the time I was 16) oh those days.... anyway keep it up sony good job!

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By HarrySound

Sony is not having a good generation....

Maybe they won't be so smug next time round.....if there is a next time.
    shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By shadystx

I was wondering what happens to the content you get from PSN+, I think i remember reading on PS store that once you cancel or the montly subscription finishes you lose that free content, I suppose thats fair enough but what about the discounted content i am assuming you get to keep that.

It's nice to get a free month of plus as i have been meaning to pay for a short term package but was waiting till there was some content that i really wanted either free or discounted so far there has not been anything that made me want to subscribe.

Really it never affected me much and so i never expected anything for free, this is a nice little gift for the hassle, I have seen some comments that are just pure crazy talk like a free year of PSN+ and a free game, on the 1up podcast they suggested all users got the new motorstorm game which would be great but very doubtful, on the podcast they said Sony should do it because Motorstorm sales would have been affected due to its delay whether thats true or not i don't know just what they said and that if they could offer it up as a free download it would be cheap enough for them to do that, i liked the idea but thought it was crazy talk also the game only came out a few weeks ago and so giving everyone that game would mean nobody would buy any of the copies in store at the moment, I'm sure Sony can still make a little money back on that game even if it does not sell great.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#130  Edited By l4wd0g

Here's the thing, they are using this whole messed up situation  to try and sell us on PlayStation Plus? Oh, you like having your games and system auto update. You like access to the cloud? now you've had it for free you can start by paying us a $50 subscription fee.

How about this Sony, pay for my credit checks. That's a start.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#131  Edited By Seppli
    @HarrySound said:

" Sony is not having a good generation.... Maybe they won't be so smug next time round.....if there is a next time.
    "

Actually, Sony overtook Mircrosoft's 360 with worldwide PS3 units sold just recently. Seeing how many consumers had to buy multiple 360's due to excessive RRoD, Sony might be quite a bit ahead of Microsoft globally in terms of active units. Still, Sony made so many bad decisions this generation - it's the laughing stock of the industry.

Sony has lost a lot of ground and while I like their 'integral' hardware philosophy, it's been a shitty box for developers and hence for consumers, who had to suffer from inferior ports throughout this generation. Nontheless, I've switched from 360 to PS3 for most of my console gaming. I'd rather buy a couple of games more each year, instead of paying Mircrosoft 100$ a year for online play. Swiss prices for gaming goods are disgusting.

Since Ken 'the father of Playstation' Kutaragi, who was the driving force behind the developement of the Cell CPU and the technical design of the PS3, has left Sony after the PS3 launch debacle, the next hardware iteration will likely be much more in line with the market - at least technically. Sony sunk nearly a billion dollars into the developement of a CPU nobody needed. Hence - Ken Kutaragi had to commit 'corporation sepuku' and resign.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By OldGuy
    @patrickklepek:  You, Sir are an old school news hound... while the old school ink-stained wretch brigade may look down on the new media, you have the dedication, pluck, go-get-'em attitude and spunk requisite with the stringent requirements of the class (you swoop down on free food, yes?)...

Thank you!
    Hellequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Hellequin

I love free stuff! Free stuff is my favorite kind of stuff!

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Punk1984
    @shadystx: Yeah you get to keep anything you buy no matter how deep the discount...well except the "100%" discount
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#135  Edited By tebbit
    @Roger_Klotz said:
    " Thank god, PlayStation home is coming back online. "
    Our prayers have been answered.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:

" @CL60 said:

" One good thing that came out of this, is that it was very easy to spot the Sony fanboys. "
    ...and immature homophobic internet trolls who want to fight some non-existent console war with rumor, speculation and fear. "
    Homophobic? What the fuck are you talking about? How is saying that t his made it easy to spot Sony fanboys in any way homophobic? Which it does, with people defending Sony to the grave, and getting pissed at people who are mad at Sony simply when people say they did wrong. 
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#137  Edited By ht101
    @Gabe_Fox: I think this is good.  The only thing I would want if I was a PS3 owner is definitive knowledge if my credit card info had been stolen.  Since I have a 360, I'd love it if Microsoft did a security check of their systems to make sure they are nice and safe.
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I don't give a shit about PSN Plus, so I hope the other free shit is good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A month of PSN Plus? I was thinking like a year.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: I wasn't only talking about you don't throw such a tantrum
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @CL60: I wasn't only talking about you don't throw such a tantrum "
    Thanks for explaining to me how that is in any way homophobic.
    thomasonfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#142  Edited By thomasonfa

Thanks for keeping us posted. Just heard Sony's News Conference. It was interesting to hear that Sony say that there are a total of 10 million credit card users on their service. 

Kazuo Hirai also said that Anonymous gave out all of their home addresses and their children's school information. In addition, they ask protesters sit-in at Sony Stores.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: Because I wasn't only talking about you being homophobic I was talking about the other "fanboy haters" out there who use homophobic speech. I mean do you feel guilty that you might be homophobic? Is something you and I need to work on? How often do you find yourself using homophobic language or having homophobic feelings? Do you identify with people who are homophobic?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:

" @CL60: Because I wasn't only talking about you being homophobic I was talking about the other "fanboy haters" out there who use homophobic speech. I mean do you feel guilty that you might be homophobic? Is something you and I need to work on? How often do you find yourself using homophobic language or having homophobic feelings? Do you identify with people who are homophobic? "

Oh so basically instead of saying anything logical you would rather randomly accuse me and other people of being homophobes for absolutely no reason at all? Cool.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#145  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Skytylz: Touche.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: -Heavy Sigh-
    I posted this earlier but if you want to go back and look at the comments earlier in the thread you can find the specific users who said things like "nut hugging" or asked if i liked "how Sony's nuts taste?" You know homophobic things.

On a side note not everything is strictly about you. I know, I know I just crushed your world. This is a good thing though that means that all the bad stuff that happens in the world. It's not your fault. It's not -get choked up- your fault. Be strong, be strong.
    Telemekos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Telemekos

Finally

mac512k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By mac512k

Let's hope the new security measures  secure every part of your information. Either way this freaked me out and i'm just going to buy PSN cards from now on. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:

" @CL60: -Heavy Sigh-I posted this earlier but if you want to go back and look at the comments earlier in the thread you can find the specific users who said things like "nut hugging" or asked if i liked "how Sony's nuts taste?" You know homophobic things.On a side note not everything is strictly about you. I know, I know I just crushed your world. This is a good thing though that means that all the bad stuff that happens in the world. It's not your fault. It's not -get choked up- your fault. Be strong, be strong. "

I've seen 1 person say that to you, once. Instead of quoting me after saying something and saying "and homophobes!!" How about you actually leave it out, when the person you're quoting didn't even say anything like that, and only one person did. By the way, stop being so condescending, it's not doing you any favors.
    pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By pandashake
    @wickedsc3 said:

" Why is it that they have their service back up before they can even tell you for sure if your info was taken or not?  Obviously they are more worried about getting their system back up and making money than finding out if peoples personal information was stolen.  Sony first order of business should be finding out for sure if information was accessed. "

@Cogzwell said:

" Sony is simply trying to cover up their failed security with a simple PR campaign, if the same team as the ones who set-up this disaster in the first place are just getting a second chance to rebuild the network's security infrastructure, then who would be fooled to thinking they would have the resources to- Wait i'm getting what for free? Sweet! "

These comments, ugh. They've sent emails to psn users and even the article you are commenting on says one the lines of customer info has been compromised and the only thing not sure is cc info which they say they have no evidence of. If they can have the services up, there's no reason to further delay it. Sony is huge, do you think all of the Sony staff is only spent on either having psn up or finding if cc info is taken? They've also contacted an external security firm for help.

Also, does the other commenter think Sony used all its cash and liquidated all its assets just to be able to finance a new data server and to implement new security measures? I don't understand how you think Sony doesn't have enough employees to push subscriber's billing cycle later by a month. If there were no compensation like free psn+ services, there would be an even larger outcry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.