Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PlayStation Network Partially Coming Back Online this Week With New Security Measures

• 198 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Welcome Back, Kotter. I mean, PSN.
    After more than a week of downtime, the result of a malicious hacker attack, Sony held a press conference in Japan to update an anxious public with the latest information and steps being taken to restore service to PlayStation Network. Perhaps more importantly, there's still no evidence credit card details were taken.

Sony says the trouble started following a "criminal cyber-attack" on a facility in San Diego. When the intrusion was discovered, PSN was brought down and security firms brought in to investigate. That investigation took several days, which Sony says explains why their criticized first response also took that long. 

There are now additional securty measures now in place, including moving Sony's data center to a new location, adding multiple layers of security internally, hiring a chief information security officer and forcing password changes to occur via the primary PlayStation 3 or a verified email address. 

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry," said exec. deputy president of the Sony Corporation Kaz Hirai in a statement. "These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks."

Starting this week, some PSN services will come back online. The company has prioritized certain services over others, obviously, and the rollout will happen region-by-region. The list is as follows:

• == TEASER ==Restoration of online game-play across the PlayStation 3 and PSP systems (this includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games)
    • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    • Access to account management and password reset
    • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    • PlayStation Home
    • Friends List
    • Chat Functionality

Before you can access any of those, there will be a firmware update requiring a PSN password change. Throughout the PSN blackout, users were unable to reset their password or even request to know what their password was. Without that information, it was difficult to determine what risk users were at. Many Internet users had changed all of their password after a recent Gawker hacking, including yours truly.

Sony has also been promising compensation to their customers, the first details of which are now available. We now know it will be part of a larger "Welcome Back" campaign that will see the entire PSN userbase gaining access to PlayStation Plus for 30 days. Existing members, however, will simply receive an additional free month of access. Additional content will be offered for free, but as those will be region-specific, details are not yet available. Cue the bitching over whatever free games are offered!

Existing Qriocity users will also receive an additional 30 days of service. But, uh, who uses Qriocity?

We should know more about when each service element is coming back online soon. 
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

After more than a week of downtime, the result of a malicious hacker attack, Sony held a press conference in Japan to update an anxious public with the latest information and steps being taken to restore service to PlayStation Network. Perhaps more importantly, there's still no evidence credit card details were taken.

Sony says the trouble started following a "criminal cyber-attack" on a facility in San Diego. When the intrusion was discovered, PSN was brought down and security firms brought in to investigate. That investigation took several days, which Sony says explains why their criticized first response also took that long. 

There are now additional securty measures now in place, including moving Sony's data center to a new location, adding multiple layers of security internally, hiring a chief information security officer and forcing password changes to occur via the primary PlayStation 3 or a verified email address. 

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry," said exec. deputy president of the Sony Corporation Kaz Hirai in a statement. "These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks."

Starting this week, some PSN services will come back online. The company has prioritized certain services over others, obviously, and the rollout will happen region-by-region. The list is as follows:

• == TEASER ==Restoration of online game-play across the PlayStation 3 and PSP systems (this includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games)
    • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    • Access to account management and password reset
    • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    • PlayStation Home
    • Friends List
    • Chat Functionality

Before you can access any of those, there will be a firmware update requiring a PSN password change. Throughout the PSN blackout, users were unable to reset their password or even request to know what their password was. Without that information, it was difficult to determine what risk users were at. Many Internet users had changed all of their password after a recent Gawker hacking, including yours truly.

Sony has also been promising compensation to their customers, the first details of which are now available. We now know it will be part of a larger "Welcome Back" campaign that will see the entire PSN userbase gaining access to PlayStation Plus for 30 days. Existing members, however, will simply receive an additional free month of access. Additional content will be offered for free, but as those will be region-specific, details are not yet available. Cue the bitching over whatever free games are offered!

Existing Qriocity users will also receive an additional 30 days of service. But, uh, who uses Qriocity?

We should know more about when each service element is coming back online soon. 
    Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Jackhole

I like free stuff.

In other news, I already have the quest.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vestigial_Man

hooray

adummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By adummy

Weekend news on Giant Bomb? Klepek, you spoil us.

Chrisbot84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chrisbot84

Now I wonder if they will ever find the people responsible for the outage.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By raviolisumo

Awesome. 

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Aaron_G

It better be good free stuff.

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lokilaufey

Glad to see they are requiring a mandatory pass change with firmware update. We all know there are people who would still be too stupid to change their password even if they were outright told to.

ps: These Klepek news articles are spoiling me. By far the most informative and levelheaded articles covering PSN I've seen so far. You're doing an amazing job already, Patrick! Not that I expected otherwise.

Gabe_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gabe_Fox

So there's been a ton of sony hate pored on the rest of these posts, I'm wondering: is this enough to turn anybody around?  Does a more robust security system and some olive branches turn opinion, or are folks still pissed?  Moreover, if this is not enough, what would a reasonable mea culpa be?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Lukeweizer

Great... Playstation Plus for a month? So free games for a limited time?

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By btman

I'm down for some free stuff.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Siphillis
    @Chrisbot84 said:
    " Now I wonder if they will ever find the people responsible for the outage. "
    Most hacker cases of this magnitude usually end with someone in handcuffs.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By big_jon

Good stuff, I felt bad for Sony.

greyfoxv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By greyfoxv1

Great so we still don't know what information was stolen and they just want to offer us free Playstation Plus? Pleas-HOLY SHIT I GET TO PLAY STACKING FOR FREE!

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StealthRaptor

Well I'm sure glad they're trying to spin this around into getting some new subscribers for Plus.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silver-Streak

More than I expected them to give. Since I expected nothing besides enhanced security, I'm perfectly fine with free stuff.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kajaah117

So what's the verdict on the largest, most damaging hack in the games industry? This PSN outage, or the Half-Life 2 Source Code leak?

I vote for the latter. It almost put Valve out of business. Imagine a world without Portal 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. o_O

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx

That's not really a good enough apology. I have no need or want for PS+ and its a shame it took an actual break in for them to take a better look at their security.

I have always been weary of the shift to online retail, despite my inclusion in it (just meaning I have been buying into it as everyone else has as well) but I continue to lose respect for Sony (starting of course with the SWG NGE debacle which I know is a different thing but an off shoot of Sony so... who is really surprised) and they don't seem to want to gain any respect back yet.

We'll see where that goes.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Silock

About time 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Skytylz

Thank god, I was really worried about Home!

monopolyloser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By monopolyloser

How does 30 free days of PS+ work if the store isn't back online until the end of the month though?

Tantalum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tantalum

I was expecting a dynamic theme or a free avatar, so this is nice.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RE_Player1
    @CornBREDX If you don't respect a company or don't like the way they do business why even support them? I don't like the way Activision does business so I've stopped buying games published by them. Last game I actually bought from them was Modern Warfare 2.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Kajaah117 said:
    " So what's the verdict on the largest, most damaging hack in the games industry? This PSN outage, or the Half-Life 2 Source Code leak?

I vote for the latter. It almost put Valve out of business. Imagine a world without Portal 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. o_O

"
    Imagine a world without Half-Life 3!!! oh wait.....

Had to be done
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Good work Patty ole boy! And on the weekend and everything...

Anyway, hopefully it'll be back up before the kopy of Mortal Kombat I just ordered arrives. 
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By nick_verissimo

But are my trophies safe?

QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By QKT

it sounds like they've got it under control, even though it looked like a complete shambles.

Sevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Sevan

meh. they could have afforded 2 months... you know, seeing as to how thousands of people who had managed to keep their basic information secure for years have now wasted their time and effort because one of the largest companies in the world doesnt know how to keep their shit together...

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kajaah117
    @Sackmanjones said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:
    " So what's the verdict on the largest, most damaging hack in the games industry? This PSN outage, or the Half-Life 2 Source Code leak?

"
    Imagine a world without Half-Life 3!!! oh wait.....Had to be done "
    This year's E3. I'm feeling it. I mean.... they have to show something!
    xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xync4

I'm ok with this.  Hope I don't get all used to PS+ & wanna pay for it after my month is up o_0

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'll take my free stuff, but I'm gonna use a way different PSN code from now on just in case. Also, probably will stick to point cards.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By copycatzen
    @nick_verissimo said:
    "
                "

This is also my concern
    MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrAristocrates

Can't wait for people to bitch about the free stuff they're getting.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ds8k

Whoa, something posted over the weekend.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I would rather have a free game under 15 bucks on psn

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MudMan
    @copycatzen said:
    " @nick_verissimo said:
    "
                "
    This is also my concern "
    They've already said they're fine and the ones you got during downtime will synch up.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By MisterMouse

that is good they are getting that back up, and with extra security. Good for them.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Kajaah117 said:

"

except Valve is probably doing way better than PSN xD 

A month of a payed service for a couple weeks downtime? More free and I'm sure permanent content? And people thought there would be no compensation.
    zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By zor
    @Kajaah117 said:
    " @Sackmanjones said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:

"
    This year's E3. I'm feeling it. I mean.... they have to show something! "
    Oh, i am sure they will announce a game with a '3' in the title, and that game will be..................

Left for Dead 3
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By frankxiv

and that ladies and gentlemen is the sound of the collective internet care train slowin right on down

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Addfwyn

Didn't actually expect any kind of free stuff at all honestly, just expected an apology (though I still don't necessarily fault Sony, though they could have handled it better) and renewed service/better security.

If they want to toss free months on to PS+ though, I certainly won't complain, and give them props for at least some solid in the customer service department.
    freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By freakin9

But what of the online time I lost with Mortal Kombat?  What of that?  That is time I will never get back.  Le Sigh.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By cornbredx
    @RE_Player92:  Good question.

I don't. I am supporting the developers that actually make a good product. I have a PS3 for specific games. I dont pay Sony for anything monthly. The PS3 was a want-essity (I made that word up, it means: something you want enough [based on factors of the medium] that it feels necessary but really its not) based on certain games you can only play on PS3. The games I buy for PS3 I don't buy because they are published by Sony but rather because I like that developer, franchise, or whatever. It is not in direct support of Sony however in the world we live in Publishers/Major Corporations always get a piece of the pie. That's just how it is and you would be silly to think otherwise.

You may not like Activision, but what about the developers that were bought by them? What did they ever do to you? I am of course assuming there are any, it is highly possible they have no developers you care about so in that case you are lucky. It's not always that cut and dry though. I support developers these days, I don't care about the publishers as they will always be there. You wont like it but that's just how it is. The same goes with Sony. Ya i don't "need" a PS3. But if I want to play a naughty dog game (just one example) I have to have a PS3 to play it.

So, there ya go. I hope that made sense.
    Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Toxeia

Totally expected Sony to report that they were being cyber-bullied.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Burns098356GX

Who wants to bet it goes down again within a week?
    Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kajaah117
    @Zor said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:
    " @Sackmanjones said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:

"
    Oh, i am sure they will announce a game with a '3' in the title, and that game will be..................

Left for Dead 3
    "
    You know.... Valve said that Portal 2 would be the last game they make with an "isolated single-player experience." With your post I've come to the conclusion that they're only making Left 4 Dead games from here on out. Boom. Cracked that code.
    UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By UncleDisco
    @Zor said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:
    " @Sackmanjones said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:

"

Left for Dead 3
    "
    Nah it'll be Dota 2
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RE_Player1
    @CornBREDX said:
    " @RE_Player92:  Good question.I don't. I am supporting the developers that actually make a good product. I have a PS3 for specific games. I dont pay Sony for anything monthly. The PS3 was a want-essity (I made that word up, it means: something you want enough [based on factors of the medium] that it feels necessary but really its not) based on certain games you can only play on PS3. The games I buy for PS3 I don't buy because they are published by Sony but rather because I like that developer, franchise, or whatever. It is not in direct support of Sony however in the world we live in Publishers/Major Corporations always get a piece of the pie. That's just how it is and you would be silly to think otherwise.You may not like Activision, but what about the developers that were bought by them? What did they ever do to you? I am of course assuming there are any, it is highly possible they have no developers you care about so in that case you are lucky. It's not always that cut and dry though. I support developers these days, I don't care about the publishers as they will always be there. You wont like it but that's just how it is. The same goes with Sony. Ya i don't "need" a PS3. But if I want to play a naughty dog game (just one example) I have to have a PS3 to play it.So, there ya go. I hope that made sense. "
    Yeah it did. As for the whole developer issue I do feel bad for certain developers that have talent but are employed by publishers I despise, like Activision. I would love to support all developers but unfortunately I don't have the money and adding one more sale to a Call of Duty franchise causing Bobby Kotick to smile makes me sick. I used to occasionally buy used games but I don't anymore and if by some odd chance I do get a game cheap I try to buy some dlc for that game. I see where your coming from, one good thing about the online space now  though is that developers get a bigger cut if you directly download the game. 
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @FlemmingM said:
    " @Zor said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:
    " @Sackmanjones said:
    " @Kajaah117 said:

"

Left for Dead 3
    "
    Nah it'll be Dota 2 "
    Aw you just brought up that weird "DOTA shouldn't be copyrighted" memory from some months back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.