Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PSN Still Down, Sony Not Sure If Your Personal Information Has Been Stolen

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#101  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @Doobie_Wop said:
    " I don't see how any of this is Sony's fault, they were breached, instead of taking risks, they shut down the whole network. Hackers are supposedly fighting for consumer rights, while simultaneously taking away the rights of the consumer. No service is unbreakable, had this been a concentrated effort on any other online service, a similar situation would have occurred. 

Also, the comments making this out to be a major image draw back are being ridiculous it will be forgotten in a few weeks after the service is back up. It'd be like me saying that when Live was basically unusable for nearly a month back in 2007, that it would destroy it's image and stop people from re-subscribing to the service, but it didn't and no one even remembered the fiasco after a month into 2008.

"
    It's certainly Sony's fault for making a insecure service, as customers we should be able to expect Sony to handle or personal data with care - but they did the right thing when they pulled the plug and started redesigning the system from scratch rather than wait until someone managed to access all the user data or something like that. Hopefully they'll actually have a security expert overlooking the reconstruction, telling them to actually use randomized encryption hashes and such this time.

As it is right now, it seems rather than leaking any user data, they just lot a bit of income as a few thousand people downloaded games from PSN for free or with fake money. Hopefully that's the extent of it, so the damage is probably purely at the business level rather than anything that really affects customers beyond that the service is down until Sony fixes it.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By benjaebe
    @random_guy23 said:
    " The PSN is down and Sony are rebuilding it because people who jailbreaked their console using the Rebug CFW could access special 'developer' partitions of the network. They are rebuilding the network to prevent people from accessing these partitions. There's why they took it down, no hackers have stolen credit card details or anything, so don't worry! "
    I've heard the same thing.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Xer0Signal said:

" where is the quote about credit card information?the PC World article doesn't have a direct quote from anyone at Sony, just "someone said it", which is not good enough for me. "

Satoshi Fukuoka, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment.  On the 3rd paragraph he also said that it is unable to tell if personal information or cc have been compromised.  So yea might as well chance it, the 5k in your checking is pretty easy to make back right?
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @random_guy23 said:
    " The PSN is down and Sony are rebuilding it because people who jailbreaked their console using the Rebug CFW could access special 'developer' partitions of the network. They are rebuilding the network to prevent people from accessing these partitions. There's why they took it down, no hackers have stolen credit card details or anything, so don't worry! "
    This should be repeated ad nauseum until people stop assuming anonymous involvement and all that.
    SilverArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By SilverArrows

Hmmm .... i can't remember if i ever put my credit card information? I don't have Playstation Plus, but i can't remember if i ever paid for any DLC.

God dammit, if I have to go through CC trouble just cause i bought some $1.00 DLC, that would just be ridicoulous.

Not a fan of this, Sony needs to learn to protect its consumers better.

I think i'll promptly delete any credit card information on the Sony servers onces this is online, and not buy anything from the PSN store again.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Reverseface

A multi billion dollar company got fucked by acouple of 18 year old kids in their mothers basement, What the fuck is Sony playing at didn't they have some sort of contingency plan for this.

I have no sympathy for them, they let this happen.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Grumbel
    @Doobie_Wop said:

" I don't see how any of this is Sony's fault, they were breached, instead of taking risks,

We are talking about Sony here, not random Joe running a server in moms basement. From a cooperation as big as Sony I expect to have a backup plan when shit goes wrong. It really shouldn't take multiple days just get the Playstation Network functioning again, thats something that should be possible in a matter of hours at most, especially when things like DRM depend on it.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ninjakiller
    @T4CT said:

" @ninjakiller said:

" @Jeffsekai said:
    " @wh4tshisface said:
    " @TurboMan said:
    " great job of pissing off anonymous, Sony...  now we're all possibly in trouble. "
    They already said they didn't do it.  "
    Indeed. "
    Shrug.  I no longer care at this point.  An elite hacker group who gets a bunch of 13 year olds to launch loic at a website does not an elite hacking group make.  Whether they did it or not is moot at this point, as they will bear the blame for this attack and deservedly so.  They attacked a service provided to customers for free instead of trying to target Sony's corporate servers or services.  This attack peaked the interest of a hacker with some actual skill who whether affiliated with Anonymous or not probed, infiltrated, and forced Sony to pull the plug.   "
    this would make sense except that, aside from the initial attack, they didn't target PSN. They promptly launched an apology note when PSN initially went down from their attacks, and they began attacking Sony's corporate servers/services while deliberately avoiding the PlayStation Network. Their intent was never to harm the average consumer, they apologized for doing so, and then made sure that they weren't doing it anymore.  "
     This attack peaked the interest of a hacker with some actual skill who whether affiliated with Anonymous or not probed, infiltrated, and forced Sony to pull the plug.      
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#109  Edited By l4wd0g

It is the year of the PS3

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By FoolishChaos

I'm pretty sure it is ILLEGAL for sony to suspect credit cards might be stolen, and then not tell us they think so. I don't think they are that stupid. But who knows at this point, really

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By SSully
    @raynate2022 said:
    " My xbox fan boyness is starting to coe out again. I bought my PS3 because I wanted to try the "superior" console. I'm not impressed "
    Did you own an xbox when XBL was down for over 2 weeks around Christmas time in 2008? If so its funny how people forget so easily. 
    gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By gbpackers94

This is unacceptable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjakiller said: 
    " This attack peaked the interest of a hacker with some actual skill who whether affiliated with Anonymous or not probed, infiltrated, and forced Sony to pull the plug.       "
    In that case PSN was fundamentally flawed to begin with if all it needed was some coaxing to get the ball rolling.
    Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't heard about something like this happening sooner. It's been obvious from the get go that PSN isn't as closed or under heavy surveillance as XBL or the Wii Network.
    Maybe Sony should've used some of that money they used on lawyers hunting GeoHotz to pay for some tech savvy kids to foolproof their Gibsons from getting hacked.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    Please people, just read this:
    @benjaebe
    said:
    " @random_guy23 said:
    I've heard the same thing. "
    MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By MudMan
    @fisk0 said:
    " Please people, just read this:
    @benjaebe
    said:
    " @random_guy23 said:
    "
    No, that's not true.
    TheHUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By TheHUD
    @Jeffsekai:  Why because they said they didn't..? I should try that after i start robbing banks. But officer it wasn't me! :D
    Oh well if you insist, carry on!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @TheHUD said:
    " @Jeffsekai:  Why because they said they didn't..? I should try that after i start robbing banks. But officer it wasn't me! :DOh well if you insist, carry on! "
    Because when Anon does something they want people to know it's them.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @TheHUD said:
    " @Jeffsekai:  Why because they said they didn't..? I should try that after i start robbing banks. But officer it wasn't me! :DOh well if you insist, carry on! "
    Yes, then the officer would have to present evidence that it actually was you. In most western countries you're innocent until proven guilty, and as of yet, there's little reason to think anonymous were involved.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ninjakiller
    @fisk0 said:
    @benjaebe
    said:
    " @random_guy23 said:
    "
    Interesting.   

If credit card info had been compromised Sony would have posted a release and emailed users immediately.  They might fuck up a lot of things, but there's no way they would want to face a class action lawsuit from sitting on information regarding financial security of its users.  
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#120  Edited By fillmoejoe

One of the few times I'm glad I don't own a PS3, well until something like this happens on the 360.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By xyzygy
    @fisk0 said:

@benjaebe
    said:

" @random_guy23 said:
    "
    How do you know this for sure though? A Japanese representative of Sony was the one who said that they weren't sure if CC info has been taken. Satoshi Fukuoka.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By MrKlorox

Nail secured firmly in coffin.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @xyzygy said:

" @fisk0 said:

@benjaebe
    said:

" @random_guy23 said:
    "
    How do you know this for sure though? A Japanese representative of Sony was the one who said that they weren't sure if CC info has been taken. "
    I could never be 100% sure of course, as I have no contacts or anything like that, but a neoGAF thread (linked in the quoted wall of text below) details it a bit more. Of all the stuff I've read it looks like the most reasonable explanation, and fits best with the little information Sony has officially provided on their blogs. Basically, for the last few months there have been guides online for how PSN+ users as well as users of the custom PS3 firmware could unlock trial games to full versions for free, as well as using PSN features made for developers that would create fake money on the PSN Wallet, which they then used to get lots of PSN games for free with. Since these were fundamental flaws in how PSN worked, Sony had to shut down PSN and rebuild it.

Here's a quote from the PSN Down thread on here, including the NeoGAF link:

@fisk0

said:

" @p_p_o_d said:

" a quick look at popular hacker forums seems to make me this this is because of a recent hack that allowed people to use the dev network to add infinite funds to PSN accounts.   Nothing to do with leaked personal information thank god but you never know......
    Accessing sonys private network and then exploiting it for free money seems pretty damn serious to me.   

I guess closing the exploit wont be hard but if they are adding extra security to make sure the hackers cant get onto there servers again which will take longer.  

Sony should have a easy case on there hands if they pursue the fuckers.

These people are straight up committing fraud and breaking a few other laws as well as pissing off every ps3 gamer at the moment so I dont think we would see as much random internet love for these guys as we did for geohot if this does lead to charges.   

Also if it is this then I would think sony could turn on some of the PSN so people can play online and sync trophies and stuff but they would keep the store offline for a few weeks while they re-secure any potential holes.   I expect another "shit is still broken" update from sony tonight.   Monday is tomorrow.  Should hear details then even if its just from a random developer angry at not selling DLC. "
    Yeah, there seem to have been several critical security flaws, both inherently in how PSN handled PlayStation+ membership and flaws caused by debug features accessible by custom firmware.
    This neoGAF thread discusses it with a bit more details: http://bit.ly/fUp2PN.
    There are lots of guides on the net detailing how the money exploit was done, and the PS+ flaw didn't even require jailbreaking the machine, but seems to have been an error in how PSN handled the time trial versions of games, making it possible to trick the PS Store to unlock the full games for free. With all this going on, I think it's understandable that they had to shut the thing down and rebuild the entire thing from scratch. Extremely poor timing to have it happen right on the easter weekend, but letting it continue would probably cause a much bigger loss of money.
    "
    AmericanNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AmericanNinja

No CC info has been stolen. Someone posed a comment at the US Playstation Blog that someone posted at the Sony PLaystation EU facebook page that CC info was safe. take it for what its worth.

According to the European Sony PS blog on Facebook, our private information is safe. Especially stuff like credit card info. :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/25/psn-update/comment-page-1/#comment-547283

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#125  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AncientMecha said:
    " But Anonymous isn't anti-consumer right? Right? PFFFFSH, right. "
    They didn't do this one. "
    Whether they did or not, their earlier antics have made them an easy target for scorn.
    Cogzwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126  Edited By Cogzwell

ya get what you pay for

foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By foxhound421

I really think there needs to be some law passed that requires companies who keep "secure" information on its customers to immediately disclose the exact nature of an attack like this and detail exactly what personal information could be in danger. 

i can be a bit of a Sony fanboy at times, i'll admit. and i'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to them. but if i find out that Sony waited 6+ days to tell its customers that their CC info has been compromised, i'm going to be royally pissed. Like, class-action lawsuit, boycott Sony pissed.
    benu302000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By benu302000

"Sony is unable to determine if someone has collected your credit card number or other bits of identifying personal information."

WTF? They're not sure? That sounds an awful fucking lot like, "Probably, but we're afraid you'll get mad if we tell you."
    I guess it's time to cancel my credit card?

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By darkvare

at least gears 3 beta came out for preorders

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Code black, code black. We have a breach.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Nadril

Glad I don't have my cc info on PSN. Already just had to deal with some person taking my live account and buying $70 worth of microsoft points with my card. 

I just want the service up at this point so I can play MK online >_>.
    AcheNone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By AcheNone
    stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By stubbleman

It's times like this that I'm actually grateful that PSN is too stupid to accept my debit card.

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#134  Edited By CyleMoore

Maybe I should worry.  Or maybe not since the credit card I have on it expires in two months.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By BradBrains
    @chogi said:
    " I wanna play MK online so bad! "
    this.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#136  Edited By Chris2KLee

Hope they have something planned to make up for this mess, at least for Plus subscribers who pay for the service.

caryrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By caryrabbit
    @AcheNone:  Did you post this? I really hope you didn't. That was about the dumbest shit I've ever seen.
    AcheNone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By AcheNone
    @caryrabbit: Is it? I thought it was funny
    617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By 617_jbug

That is why I buy the Playstation cards and Xbox Live points in the store.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140  Edited By Keeng

Fact: XBL has been down more times than PSN. If this situation does turn out to be detrimental to people's credit card info, of course it's way worse. Until then, the fact that people who paid for XBL Gold access have been unable to use it for WAY longer spans than this is still far worse, so let's not start the fanboy fights just yet because there is no comparison.

Also, if this doesn't affect people's private security, people are seriously overreacting to Sony and under-reacting to hackers. I can guarantee you Sony doesn't WANT PSN to be down. It sucks for us as consumers who use and enjoy the service and for them because it costs them money and public appearance. That makes us and them victims of these attacks. And before we go at Sony's security with pitchforks and torches, consider what we're suggesting: obviously, the network wasn't secure enough to prevent something like this, but how could any network ever be? You expect Sony to have somehow hired every single skilled hacker in the world, eliminating the possibility of anyone ever causing trouble? These things are possible. Banks get robbed, networks get hacked, terrorists blow up buildings. Grow up, people. Every "Come on, Sony", "Fuck, Sony", or "wtf, Sony" written over the last five days should swap out the word "Sony" and put in "Hackers". 
    caryrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By caryrabbit

No Caption Provided
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @caryrabbit said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Clever
    striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#143  Edited By striderno9

Ugh. This is getting ugly. 

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By frankxiv
    @617_jbug said:
    " That is why I buy the Playstation cards and Xbox Live points in the store. "
    yes.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By xyzygy
    @Keeng: Xbox Live is also a MUCH older service then PSN is. Of course it would have had more down time simply because it's 4 years older than PSN.
    caryrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By caryrabbit
    @PrivateIronTFU: I stole it from reddit. :D 
    I though it was relevant.
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By geirr

Well thank goodness I still have PC and Steam and Mortal Ko..oh.. right, no PC version.
    Siiiiigh.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#148  Edited By TheHT
    @fisk0: makes a holy hell of a lot of sense.

the higher ups are probably even more pissed at the jailbreak situation now, if that's what happened.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#149  Edited By Cincaid

I for one think it's hilarious that people in all this shit still find the need to bash XBL to make themselves sleep better at night. Your console of choice and your personal playtime got majorly screwed over, but obviously XBL is the turd in the punchbowl.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By mnzy
    @Keeng said:
    " Fact: XBL has been down more times than PSN. If this situation does turn out to be detrimental to people's credit card info, of course it's way worse. Until then, the fact that people who paid for XBL Gold access have been unable to use it for WAY longer spans than this is still far worse, so let's not start the fanboy fights just yet because there is no comparison. "
    But...you compared them?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.