Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PSN Still Down, Sony Not Sure If Your Personal Information Has Been Stolen

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#151  Edited By random_guy23

Also, after doing some digging around in some hacker sites (PSX Scene, PS3 Crunch etc) I've found out that yes, the Rebug CFW gives it's users the ability to access dev servers, add or remove an unlimited amount of funds to the PSN wallet, and even access content not available without a code (like game beta's and pre-order exclusives etc). Plus, the Rebug CFW also gives the option of faking the hard drive capacity, so that you could essentially trade it into a shop saying that it's a 320gb model, when it's only like 80gb or something. Go and read www.rebug.me for more information, it's crazy how much awful stuff they've enabled people to do. Also, hacking your console enables backups, which in some cases enables piracy, and people were playing online using these backups, so perhaps Sony are rebuilding the network to block out backed up games from being played?

Who knows, but my best guess is that they are rebuilding it to block out the serious amount of PSN Store related hacks and the access to the 'sp-int' and the 'prod-qa' development network partitions.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Donos

Well, I suppose I'll be keeping a closer eye on my credit card statements for a while.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#153  Edited By Hizang

Now you see if this were to happen on the Wii...Oh wait.

THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN ON THE WII!

Nintendo's has been right all along, you enter those damn credit card details everytime FOR A REASON!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By MeierTheRed

I have been in Bad Company 2 withdrawal for 6 days now, i need my fix sony.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#155  Edited By Hailinel
    @Hizang:  And people give Nintendo's online service shit for not storing credit card information.
    RaidenMitsuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By RaidenMitsuru

Wow

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By daggon55

So I'm almost more worried about what is going to happen when Sony turns this thing back on. The comments about them "restructuring" the system are really weird. I can't imagine wanting to take down and re-structure a system that large and complicated. There must have been something really really bad going down for them to want to do that. And doing some major re-work with only a few days to test before releasing it to millions of users and thousands of apps... I shiver just thinking about it.

I'll pour one out for their engineers, I'm pretty sure if stuff doesn't work when they bring this back up, they'll spontaneously combust.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#158  Edited By Keeng
    @mnzy: My intention was to point out that the level of...fucked-up-ed-ness wasn't even, yet, so it was inaccurate to say that they're the same situation. 

@xyzygy said:

" @Keeng: Xbox Live is also a MUCH older service then PSN is. Of course it would have had more down time simply because it's 4 years older than PSN. "

I was specifically referring to the 360 version of XBL but I see your point. I didn't mean total downtime. I meant the two longest outages for XBL on 360 (since PSN existed) are longer than this one has been thus far.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I will be the first to admit I think PS3 is the best console ever, but I will be beyond pissed if Sony did find out this whole situation affects our credit card information and didn't tell us. That's fucked up regardless of how good your product is. 
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Hizang
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Hizang:  And people give Nintendo's online service shit for not storing credit card information. "

Be safe, be Nintendo!
    Caegn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Caegn

Hopefully when they get the new PSN up, they'll think to include some credit card security and encryption.  You know, the kind even small time internet stores have had for years now.  Still don't like the idea that your system will automatically login to your account and allow transactions without even a password prompt to confirm identity once it's logged in unless you know enough to change the settings.  No idea how secure it is inside PSN itself, but from what I've seen user side, I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

Also, anonymous (while having hackers in their ranks) aren't normally what you'd call a hacking group.  Or rather some may call them that, but they're not.  They're a flooding group.  They operate mostly by overloading systems, not actually compromising them.  Annoying as can be at times, but rarely really dangerous in any way.  Sure a member or a small group of members might do it, and might even use the anonymous "name."  But this isn't really their MO, so (as others have pointed out) they say this isn't them, and I'm inclined to believe it.  Also, when have they ever not taken an opportunity to brag about their exploits.  They're not exactly humble about their "work."

siavm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161  Edited By siavm
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AncientMecha said:
    " But Anonymous isn't anti-consumer right? Right? PFFFFSH, right. "
    They didn't do this one. "
    How the hell do you know that? They already f#$#ed up psn. Just because they say they didn't really does not mean anything. 
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Punk1984
    @xyzygy:  The OP's point was that XBL had been down for longer spans at a time not so much longer total
    FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By FacelessVixen

Luckily my credit card info on PSN has been out of date for a while.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @siavm said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AncientMecha said:
    How the hell do you know that? They already f#$#ed up psn. Just because they say they didn't really does not mean anything.  "
    They said they didn't do it, thats all the proof you need with Anon. When they do something they do it for a reason, and they do it so people know it was them. What do they gain by making an attack and not saying it was them.
    Gwonam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Gwonam
    @Hizang:
    Then by your logic, a 3 year old online service that has crashed 3 times in its existence, is less reliable then a online service that has been out for a month and has not crashed yet.

These are made up values, but i hope you understand my analogy.
    reaper2923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By reaper2923

This is why I'm glad that I've never used my card on psn

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Agent47
    @Jeffsekai: Anon is a messy group of individuals who is not to say that by judging from their lack of leadership one or a couple of them decided they should take down PSN?Just saying they can't be trusted . Hacker=uncoventional
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#168  Edited By Enigma777

Well that's not good...

SilentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By SilentZero
    @Donos said:
    "

Well, I suppose I'll be keeping a closer eye on my credit card statements for a while.

"
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Hizang

Sarcasm...

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Agent47 said:
    " @Jeffsekai: Anon is a messy group of individuals who is not to say that by judging from their lack of leadership one or a couple of them decided they should take down PSN?Just saying they can't be trusted . Hacker=uncoventional "
    If it's just one or two people that sometimes helped Anon in the past then my point stands that it is not their doing this time. Anon does things as a group thats their M.O.  , if it's just 1 or 2 people then it isnt Anon.
    Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#173  Edited By Butchio

This is shown how insecure the PSN was. As someone who has their card details I am definitely nervous until they say whether details were leaked or not.

Insecure system or not, hackers should not be able to get away with these kind of things. It has hurt the gamers more than sony, so what was the point?

If Sony is taking the time to make the system more secure than thats all good, but why wait until they were attacked before doing it? Maybe, just maybe we will get a nice new feature out of this (party chat), heres to hoping
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#174  Edited By HydraHam

Good thing i don't use my CC/Bank card online.

pre-paid visas ftw

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I actually don't believe it's Anonymous. Only Anonymous is dumb and ironic enough to plaster their name over everything they do.

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By daggon55
    @butchio said:
    " This is shown how insecure the PSN was. As someone who has their card details I am definitely nervous until they say whether details were leaked or not.

Insecure system or not, hackers should not be able to get away with these kind of things. It has hurt the gamers more than sony, so what was the point?

If Sony is taking the time to make the system more secure than thats all good, but why wait until they were attacked before doing it? Maybe, just maybe we will get a nice new feature out of this (party chat), heres to hoping
    "
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. This whole situation has seemed a lot more like a reaction to some kind of serious breach and Sony is frantically trying to to do damage control. I'm pretty sure they've already done the math on how much this outage is costing them per hour. You don't do this kind of thing for any minor reason and thinking they might make any other modifications to the service other than getting it back up seems far fetched at this point.
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By jking47

really want to hear an update about this.

MJames70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By MJames70

The longer it goes on with little or no details from Sony other than 'We don't know', the more worried I get....If five days later it was just a hack that did not affect consumers and only gave away free goodies to hackers, they should have said so by now. Instead we get nothing  publicly other than we don't know what happened or when it will be up again.....scary.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#179  Edited By artofwar420

This is getting a little scary.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Rebirth1337

I've been wanting to know why my PS3 couldn't get online. I don't use it much so I guess I didn't hear about this.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#181  Edited By fisk0
    @siavm said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @AncientMecha said:

How the hell do you know that? They already f#$#ed up psn. Just because they say they didn't really does not mean anything.  "
    Just read a couple of pages back in the comments, read the PSN Down thread and 
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428229&page=59 over at neoGAF, and you'll find it's very unlikely anonymous anything to do with it as a group. The were some critical security flaws in the structure of PSN that made it possible for people with custom firmware to access developer network partitions where they could create fake money for the PSN Wallet, which they used to buy games with, and also a flaw with how PSN handled Plus memberships that made it possible for Plus users to make their trial games full versions for free, without even jailbreaking their PS3's. Sony shut PSN down themselves to minimize the losses and recode the entire network.

It's also not likely any credit card information was leaked because of this, though it's of course not impossible, given how much access CFW users seem to have had to the private sony network.
    As it looks right now, Sony has not lost any user data, just a lot of money due to people getting their games for free through their own network infrastructure.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By TwoOneFive

the playstation store home page looks nothing like that anymore

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#183  Edited By strangeling

" As a dude who just had his personal details yanked a month ago and then used against his will, it would be really nice if Sony could at least say, “Hey, you know, maybe these people do have your credit card number and address.”    "

Hey, me too.  I had to get a new card issued.  Was this going on a month ago?
    dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#184  Edited By dezvous

It's definitely inconvenient to have your credit card info stolen but is it really that difficult to monitor your activity and phone your card provider at the first sign of suspicious activity?

I've had it happen to me once, it was a pretty simple process. Not to say that I'd like it to happen again, just that it really wasn't as much of a hassle as some let on. Maybe my experience is the exception to the rule however.

Lukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Lukin
    @dezvous: 

I agree my bank is very good at freezing my card and account if anything strange is going on, even if it is me making the transactions :)

To be honest, as Brad's article pointed out by mentioning he had details stolen, it can happen at anytime to anyone who uses online services or is not careful with their card in public. I don't  think this will make it more likely to be honest. 

If you are that scared or worried as a lot of you seem to be, call your bank now and ask for a new card, it won't take that long.
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Druminator

Only an idiot would save their credit card info on a console. Buy the cards at the store dummies.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#187  Edited By halberdierv2

this is reaching ridiculous levels. fortunately I don't have any money or details on my PSN account, but this is some serious legal buisness going on.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By fisk0
    @Druminator: heh, I used to do that, I was missing about 1 dollar in the PSN wallet a couple of weeks ago and thought "what the hell, instead of another $30 card I could just have it charge $1 off my credit card" ... so, great timing.
    It doesn't look like CC info is compromised though, at least not based on the info I've found so far, though obviously all we have until Sony says anything officially is speculation - but since the PSN wallet exploit with custom firmware seems confirmed to have worked, it looks like a reasonable explanation to why Sony took down the service for recoding.
    Doesn't hurt checking the bank statements now and then though.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By xyzygy

I just read on another site that they hope it should be back by the weekend. This was taken from a news affiliate from the same network that VGChartz and GamReview (or whatever the hell it's called) is from.

Lukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Lukin
    @xyzygy:  have you got a link to the story?
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeffsekai said:
    " @wh4tshisface said:
    " @TurboMan said:
    " great job of pissing off anonymous, Sony...  now we're all possibly in trouble. "
    They already said they didn't do it.  "
    Indeed. "
    OJ Simpson said he didn't do it too, but look how that turned out
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#192  Edited By Yanngc33

Great... if credit card information is stolen, Sony is gonna be in the shitter. They've had a rough year so far. Can't wait for Trentton's optimistic speech at the E3 press conference

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By TorMasturba

@butchio:
    In the past, if you were Sony and you had proof that your console was hackproof, and you've yet to have a hack then it's understandable to believe that your system is currently hack-proof, until you're made aware it isn't hack-proof anymore because someone has finally managed to hack it.

Baring in mind that even if you believe it's hack-proof you'll likely still have your best people monitoring it for signs of hack attempts.

At which point Sony has definitely had their best programmers and code guys working on the hole in their chainmail since it was first discovered.

Why do you think they released a patch shortly after George "Geohotz" busted open their protection setup?

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#194  Edited By xpgamer7
    @Sayishere: what this guy says. But I still like sony even if they messed up.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By xyzygy
    @Lukin said:
    " @xyzygy:  have you got a link to the story? "
    I'm trying to find it again I'll link to it as soon as I do.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By fisk0
    @President_Barackbar said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @wh4tshisface said:
    " @TurboMan said:
    " great job of pissing off anonymous, Sony...  now we're all possibly in trouble. "
    They already said they didn't do it.  "
    Indeed. "
    OJ Simpson said he didn't do it too, but look how that turned out "
    Or Wayne Felker, he said he didn't do it, look how that turned out.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By louiedog

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug <redacted so GB mods dont ban me :)>. It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

source
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By fisk0
    @louiedog said:
    "

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug <redacted so GB mods dont ban me :)>. It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

source "
    Great post, it's been mentioned before, but seems to get drowned in the floods of people reiterating the unsubstantiated claim that anonymous were behind it.
    Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#199  Edited By chilipeppersman
    @artofwar420:  nice user name, and yea dude this is. i dont have a console, but my friend back home does, and I imagine he has been mighty bored not being able to play black ops online ahha. someone hacked into the system, i know it. its only a matter of time before they get rousted
    Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Gumby

I can't believe people are comparing hacking to murder. . . 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.