Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Are People too Soft, Lazy, or Dumb Nowadays?

• 62 results
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " Level, Win/Loss record, K/D ratio, speed runs, leaderboards, achievements, high scores, completion percentage, story, bragging rights, OCD, number of games beaten to date, the list goes on and on.What I'm saying is that different people derive pleasure from videogames in different ways - each as valid as the last.I hope someday we all come to an understanding about this. "
    Yes but at the same time, a lot of these people just aren't giving themselves enough credit. My little brother does this where he acts like something is impossible for him, but when he stops looking for help he does really well. Some people really do just want to see it all, but this is Portal, not Myst. The game is designed well enough that if your going for those kinds of quick answers to a problem, it's less because of what you get out of it and more just not wanting to try. And with Portal, if you don't solve those puzzles, the rest of the game is much less enjoyable. Because there are parts where you need to understand the mechanics to understand the world or the humor or the story, or to do the right thing at the right time so awesome things happen.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Pinworm45

pretty baffling that anyone could get stuck in this game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By RsistncE
    @Deeveeus said:

" @RsistncE said:

" @TheHumanDove said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " To clear this up for you: the vast majority of people are stupid as shit. 

Do the math:

Less than 1% of the human population will get through University/College...and half of those people are complete idiots also.
    "
    Yes, because only people who go to university are successful in life and intelligent. "
    I'm just giving you a simple measure. All I'm saying is that the VAST majority of people aren't incredibly bright. "
    umm actually no....the median IQ is 100, which means that roughly half of the worlds people are at least somewhat bright "
    I don't think you understand how IQ testing works. The median IQ of 100 is SET. The median is never below or above 100, otherwise there is no standard or baseline by which the an individual can check their IQ against. Essentially once they figure out how the test is scored and scaled, they assign 100 to the median score. If societies 10,000 years ago had the same IQ tests we have now, their median score would be 100 also, even though they would be incredibly less intelligent than we are now.    
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By RsistncE
    @Vodun said:
    " @RsistncE said:

Do the math:

Less than 1% of the human population will get through University/College...and half of those people are complete idiots also.
    "
    If that is the case then it's because there are no forms of higher education available...in countries where those are it's closer to 30% these days. "
    My 'calculation' was just a rough stab at a general issue in the world: that most people are stupid, I didn't realize so many people were going to take it that literally. It can be fixed, but not overnight obviously.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SonicBoyster
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " pretty baffling that anyone could get stuck in this game. "
    This is where I'm at.  If you're getting 'stuck' on this game it's either because you are rushing to the ending, or you're a little bit dense.  A possible exception might be made for people who never played the first game and just happened upon this one so close to release without any idea what they were doing, and who learn relatively slowly.  I'm fucking terrible at puzzle games.  Braid almost killed me and that wasn't an especially complicated puzzle game.  The longest I was trapped on a level in Portal 2 was... Let's call it fifteen minutes.  I mean, you only have so many things to work with.  You have momentum, some gels, two portals.  The most difficult level for me, I think, was the one where the white gel lets you make a portal anywhere you want, because at that point I had to actually decide where to start and use trial and error.

People are lazy.  This game was marketed to the masses, so the masses bought it, and the masses don't want to sit around for fifteen minutes on a level with nothing exploding or making conversation.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Evilsbane
    @G0rd0nFr33m4n:  Yea I'll admit its tempting but I knew the game wasn't going to be super long so I wanted to do it all by myself, I only cheated once and it wasn't the entire solution just the next step because 45 mins in that tiny room was starting to drive me bonkers :P But yea I love how many people said it was to easy but I got stuck the right amount of times I think the pacing was damn near perfect, I would kill for it to have been 3 hours longer but its an amazing package.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Yanngc33

Sorry if we're not as smart as you ;)

All you have to be is patient and the answer will appear
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#58  Edited By Icemael

Yes. Why buy a puzzle game if you're just going to check a guide every time you get... you know, puzzled?

The puzzles in Portal 2 are really easy, too.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Vodun
    @RsistncE said: 
    My 'calculation' was just a rough stab at a general issue in the world: that most people are stupid, I didn't realize so many people were going to take it that literally. It can be fixed, but not overnight obviously. "
    You also need to differentiate between intelligence and education. I have encountered several people who have spent a lot of time in academia who are fucking stupid, just as I have met people who dropped out after high school who are extremely smart.

There are also different types of intelligence. IQ tests as you mentioned above measure a very specific type of intelligence, extremely adapted for our time. If for example Platon would have taken one of our current tests, he most likely would have gotten a fairly low score. Even within a single field there are different intelligences, some of the greatest mathematicians of our time admit themselves they're crap at calculations, they think more of theory.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Beaudacious

To each his own.

Fucking understand this please.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

I would just like to point out that Will and Norm from tested totally agree with me. 

http://www.tested.com/podcast/?podcast_id=70   -     Episode 62 - Beyond the Cave of the Podcasts - 4/21/2011

About mid way through, they discuss how if you care about a game, you should play through it naturally. AND if you bought portal 2 and played through it DAY 1.... then you obviously care about it.

So if you ask for help after buying day one or watch the end of the game on YouTube like Anna did you're just plain lazy or dumb. Boom :P

FinalCut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#62  Edited By FinalCut

I completely disagree. Some people aren't geared for puzzle solving and have more trouble than most people might. Two of my friends bought Portal 2 day one for the story, humour and atmosphere. The puzzles are completely ancillary to their enjoyment of the game. They shouldn't be chastised for asking for help on puzzles because that's not what they came for and it isn't in their skill-set. I didn't have any serious troubles with any of the puzzles but I don't consider people dumb if they needed help.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#63  Edited By RelentlessKnight
    @RsistncE said:

Do the math:

"
    well usually people who say other people are "stupid as shit" are the bigger morons
    Pumpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By Pumpe

Wait, so you draw some sort of conclusion from people who ask for help in this game?
    I finished Portal 2 about 10 minutes ago. I had trouble with one level. However, my little brother finished it way faster than me. Does this suggest he's smarter than me?
    He might be, but he's unlikely to be that much smarter than me to make an impact that big. Instead it would be more realistic to entertain the idea of different thought process.

Drawing the conclusion that Portals actually requires more than basic intelligence is outrageous. There are about 11 variables you have to consider in the game in total (2x portals, 3xgoo, 2xcube, 1xenemy, 1x stream, 1x laser bridge..ah yea, trampolines). Every level have fewer variables than that and believe it or not but people in general can handle alot more brain stress than that. Making the game out to be really advanced and calling people stupid over it might be the laziest analysis Ive seen in a good while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.