Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 Loading = Ridiculous!

• 60 results
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

Jesus Christ I knew people were complaining but I didn't think it would be this bad! I mean I don't mind a loading screen at an end of a level when you go into the elevator, but halfway through one? That's fucked up. It's even more fucked up when you're in a goddamn chase/big action moment and the game pauses to load! Really takes you out of the action, which is a shame since there's so many terrific moments. 

Not only that but some of the load times feel pretty long. Maybe it's because the game didn't install anything (playing on PS3) but damn! This is 2011! Don't show me a 30-second loading screen then give me 2 minutes of gameplay then back to another 30-second loading screen! Or worse still is when you get to a set of double doors and you enter the first one and as you approach the second the screen fades to black then a loading screen pops up and then you wait another 30 seconds and you're in the exact same spot you were in before!

Other than that the game's pretty fantastic, though I'm still annoyed that I can't see my feet/arms/body. I feel like I'm just a floating camera... Really good humor though.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

I am with you completely on this feeling about the annoying loading times.  I love this game but the Source Engine is showing its age hard and they really need to get on making a new one or implement better loading methods in the current one.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ch13696

Is it me or am I seeing a lot more gamers wanting everything delivered to them on a silver platter. Sorry, nothing against you, but it's going to happen sometimes and you'll just have to deal with it till Valve can fix it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By crithon

in portal 1 most of the loading screens were broken into 2 test chambers until you got to larger test chambers. The loading screens in Portal 2 remind me a lot of Half Life 2 of coming up too frequently over very little action.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Kyreo

Yeah they broke up a lot of the later action but they were long or anything.  I was okay with them.  If they could underly in the game like the MK 9 cutscenes then that would've have been great but I'm not complaining.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By lead_farmer

Yeah, it is kinda annoying, but the humor in that game is so damn good that I can overlook it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Marz

Yeah I kinda agree there is tons of loading in this game.   I think it's just the weakness of the Source engine, it's always had some loading interruptions tracking all the way back to Half Life 2.  Still a pretty good game.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

Took maybe 10 seconds max for loading screens for me. I could barely read my tweets and stuff.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enigma777
    @ch13696 said:
    " Is it me or am I seeing a lot more gamers wanting everything delivered to them on a silver platter. Sorry, nothing against you, but it's going to happen sometimes and you'll just have to deal with it till Valve can fix it. "
    It's just you.
    treythalomew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By treythalomew

I felt conflicted on the loading screens. The game played fantastic in 1080p on my 9800GTX which I didn't expect so that was awesome but the loading was super experience breaking for me. Maybe I'm crazy but I would have preferred a little bit longer loading if they just left me in game with some occasional dialogue.

The worst was definitely anytime you felt like you should be moving quickly. Turning a corner and looking around for an exit and hitting a loading screen felt super bad. Basically my only complaint about Portal 2.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " Is it me or am I seeing a lot more gamers wanting everything delivered to them on a silver platter. Sorry, nothing against you, but it's going to happen sometimes and you'll just have to deal with it till Valve can fix it. "
    It's just you. "
    Just you. Gamers complain about a lot of shit, ridiculous loading times are one of the justified ones.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bybeach

I'm suprised by it. They don't take long, it's their frequency. On the other hand, I know when they happen. I have a cognitive use for them, so it doesn't  bother me since again they arn't long.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buzz_clik
    @DystopiaX said:
    " Gamers complain about a lot of shit, ridiculous loading times are one of the justified ones. "
    Go wait for something that takes half an hour to load on cassette tape in the hope that it ultimately works properly, then we'll talk about load times sucking.

Oh, and get off my lawn while you're at it.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaker117

It is really annoying the times it happens outside an elevator. I don't think it's as bad as some make it, but it is jarring and a little disappointing, especially because the rest of the game feels so seamless. Wonder why it's so hard to get streaming loads down on source when other engines seem to handle it fine.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Cirdain

The loading times were fine. Their was alot in frequency but the game is so quick to load I was cool with it. And they were interesting with the logos and everything so it's fine.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vodun
    @ch13696 said:
    The way they handle loading times in this is actually pretty bad. There are better ways to do it without breaking immersion. It isn't that there are loading times, it's how they are presented and the frequency. You get completely yanked out of the game and shown a looping animation without any connection to the current state of the game.

I think the main problem is that the game is so good, and you get so into it when doing those puzzles that having this loading screen slap you in the face every time you complete something becomes extra visible.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enigma777
    @Vodun said:
    "I think the main problem is that the game is so good, and you get so into it when doing those puzzles that having this loading screen slap you in the face every time you complete something becomes extra visible."
    Bingo!
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By WickedCestus

I was really enjoying Portal 2, having lots of fun as I run my way through a chase scene. Then, a loading screen popped up. I patiently wait the 5-10 seconds, and then continued to enjoy myself as I ran through the next part of the chase scene.

Quit complaining. Why don't you try to enjoy the game you spent $60 on instead of nitpicking it to death? Do you have more fun when you spend the whole game getting angry that the game needs upwards of 20 seconds to load the next level? Seriously, people these days don't seem to understand why they themselves even play video games, to have fun. Who gives a fuck if a game takes 20 seconds to load when it's as good as Portal 2 is.
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By B0nd07

The frequency of them didn't really bother me (PC) and they were pretty short (the animations played once, maybe twice, then done).  Honestly, the frequency is pretty forgivable to me given how great it looks and how big some of the environments are.

@Enigma777: Maybe install and see how much, if at all, shorter they are?  Can't really do anything about the frequency though.  As for the air-locks, they're just another load point like the elevators.  I was actually surprised when I came across one late in the game and it didn't load.

@Vodun said:

"You get completely yanked out of the game and shown a looping animation without any connection to the current state of the game."
    That is not true at all.  Watch them as you progress and you'll see that they are indeed related to what's going on.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vodun
    @B0nd07 said:
    @Vodun said:
    "You get completely yanked out of the game and shown a looping animation without any connection to the current state of the game."
    That is not true at all.  Watch them as you progress and you'll see that they are indeed related to what's going on. "
    Well, of course they show information relating to what's happening...but they have no...it's hard to explain...there's no real logical explanation for why I'm seeing it. It is too obvious I'm watching a loading screen. Take the co-op levels, here it would have been better to maybe keep the view in the first person as my "head" is transferred to the next level. Displaying an out of engine loading screen breaks up the flow of the game.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By vidiot

While waiting for the PC version to download, I jumped into the PS3 version to first check it out.

The initial load-time while Steam was getting set-up made sense, the other load times? Pretty impressive. I'm using "impressive" as a sarcastic, negative connotation.
    My mantra right now is to play through the single-player first on the PC, and then do Co-Op on the PS3 to get the trophies. It's been really weird diving between both version. Suffice to say: You might want to use that free copy on the PC the first time-around, the load times are pretty ridiculous.

On the flip-side, I had the "luxury" (again, using a sarcastic, negative connotation.) of playing The Orange Box for PS3 at a friends house. While the loading times on the PS3 are pretty ludicrous, at least the game has the feeling, and the look of being optimized for the hardware it's running on. Flipping between both versions, (I'm running on Very High and High settings) and the differences while present, feel and look very marginal.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Enigma777
    @B0nd07: I'd happily install it but I can't find the option anywhere. Also I had a similar reaction when one of the doors didn't have a loading screen behind it. Valve is messing with our heads!

The thing about the elevators is that I feel like I'm heading to a different floor, so it feels appropriate to have it fade to black. On the other hand when you start at the exact same spot in front of the same air-lock door you were in facing 15 seconds ago... it just doesn't feel right. At the minimum they could have disguised it better. Look at Mass Effect. Some people hated the elevator rides but I'll take those over a static screen any  day of the week. Maybe have the doors close around you and have some pressurizing going on before it fades to black to show that at least you're skipping forward 2-3 mins when you come back or something. 

Again this is just a slight imperfection in an otherwise amazing game, but it still annoys me. 
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @B0nd07: I'd happily install it but I can't find the option anywhere. Also I had a similar reaction when one of the doors didn't have a loading screen behind it. Valve is messing with our heads!

The thing about the elevators is that I feel like I'm heading to a different floor, so it feels appropriate to have it fade to black. On the other hand when you start at the exact same spot in front of the same air-lock door you were in facing 15 seconds ago... it just doesn't feel right. At the minimum they could have disguised it better. Look at Mass Effect. Some people hated the elevator rides but I'll take those over a static screen any  day of the week. Maybe have the doors close around you and have some pressurizing going on before it fades to black to show that at least you're skipping forward 2-3 mins when you come back or something. 

Again this is just a slight imperfection in an otherwise amazing game, but it still annoys me. 
    "
    I remember the one part where you are running with Wheatley along a corridor outside of the test chambers, and in the middle of one walkway you are forced to stop and load, then you load back to resume moving.  That was really annoying that they couldn't mask it any better.

Also I can't believe people think whenever someone points this out it is because we want to hate the game.  It is still fun when the loading times are over and done with, but it doesn't mean I would tolerate it in future Valve games, or any other future games period.  Many other developers have figured out how to make larger levels without many load times in multiple platforms, so the Valve team should get to work on solving this glaring issue that will haunt them if they don't get on solving it.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DonPixel
    @Enigma777: On the PS3? Seems fine in the PC
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FengShuiGod

Portal 2 is totally fine in the graphics/loading department. BUT the Source engine is kinda showing it's age. Although it's heavily modded it could still look better and load better. I'm not complaining about the graphics which are fine, but the loading is kinda annoying. By no mean game breaking, just a little annoying. I don't know how much of that is programmers fault, or if it is just the limitations of Source. I wonder if Valve will give Source a big overhaul soon. In a few years games will look even better, but will Source be able to keep up without a big overhaul? Also, load times.

Perhaps they are hesitant to make their engine too taxing on computers though, because it hurts sales (????). The lower the computer requirements = the more people who can run it, therefore the more people that can buy it. It's like rating a movie PG-13. It will be interesting to see how the next installment in the HL franchise looks, seeing as how that's kinda Valve's flagship series.

Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26  Edited By Lev

Definitely annoying.. like you said; WAY too frequently.. It's not even limited to once in between a level - there were a few levels it loaded more than once  during the level, and it completely killed the mood.

I don't know how people can try to defend it when it is a drastic tone killer, especially for a game that tries so hard to emphasize a certain tone.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Lev said:
    " Definitely annoying.. like you said; WAY too frequently.. It's not even limited to once in between a level - there were a few levels it loaded more than once  during the level, and it completely killed the mood.I don't know how people can try to defend it when it is a drastic tone killer, especially for a game that tries so hard to emphasize a certain tone. "
    There is no need to defend the game as it was still executed brilliantly during gameplay.  The main point is more highlighting how unusual the frequency of the load times are in 2011 that can detract from the experience to a varying degree depending on the amount of patience a person has.  I got used to it, but I shouldn't have to adapt to something that could have been remedied by either a better engine or at least an upgrade in the way in which the engine loads content.  We go nowhere if people are looking at the criticism as a reason to hate the game instead of an issue to highlight to Valve in the future so they can work on solving it. 

I'm sure there are some programmers at Valve that would agree with this and are hard at work solving it, but couldn't do it and decided to compensate with various imagery to distract the player from the issue.  For quite a number of players, it wasn't successful at distracting them.
    Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28  Edited By Lev
    @ShiftyMagician:  Yes, I agree with you for the most part. I disagree on the point that it doesn't interfere with the experience (as I do think it is enough that it kills the tone), but I do agree that overall in the grand scale of things it wasn't an unforgivable sin. An unforgivable loading experience would be those in Fallout New Vegas in which loads not only happen everytime you enter a building or new location, but can take 60-180 seconds on average. I think the reason why I am upset about it at all (which isn't by too much mind you) is that Valve has a reputation have being rock-solid with the QA/testing and high level of polish. It just doesn't seem very Valve to overlook something like that because they usually have a very keen eye for such things.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Yeah there were tons of the bloody things. Didn't last very long though. I don't know why they didn't just mask it behind an elevator trip.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Trebz

For the most part I didn't mind it, but the game having to load for about 5 seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU DIE can get tiring very quickly. Especially if you're doing a lot of trial-and-error in a given area.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Lev said:
    " @ShiftyMagician:  Yes, I agree with you for the most part. I disagree on the point that it doesn't interfere with the experience (as I do think it is enough that it kills the tone), but I do agree that overall in the grand scale of things it wasn't an unforgivable sin. An unforgivable loading experience would be those in Fallout New Vegas in which loads not only happen everytime you enter a building or new location, but can take 60-180 seconds on average. I think the reason why I am upset about it at all (which isn't by too much mind you) is that Valve has a reputation have being rock-solid with the QA/testing and high level of polish. It just doesn't seem very Valve to overlook something like that because they usually have a very keen eye for such things. "
    You might have misread me at one point, as I never said that it doesn't interfere with the experience but that it does to various degrees depending on the person.  That still means it has an effect and that it can kill the flow of the game like it did for you.  Other than that, you are definitely spot on with your view and I agree with your statement completely.  Let's hope they fix this before their next game comes around.
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Osaladin

At first I was a little bothered by them, but then I noticed they literally take like 3 seconds. No big deal, especially when behind the loading screen is amazingness.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Yanngc33

I went back to the original Portal and Half Life 2 and there are the exact same load times (good luck getting out of C17 without seeing one). Valve needs to find a solution to these

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By Icemael

The game could've done with less load screens, but it really wasn't that big a deal. The loading was frequent, sure, but it was also fairly fast.

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By overbyte

@FengShuiGod said:

" Portal 2 is totally fine in the graphics/loading department. BUT the Source engine is kinda showing it's age. Although it's heavily modded it could still look better and load better. I'm not complaining about the graphics which are fine, but the loading is kinda annoying. By no mean game breaking, just a little annoying. I don't know how much of that is programmers fault, or if it is just the limitations of Source. I wonder if Valve will give Source a big overhaul soon. In a few years games will look even better, but will Source be able to keep up without a big overhaul? Also, load times. Perhaps they are hesitant to make their engine too taxing on computers though, because it hurts sales (????). The lower the computer requirements = the more people who can run it, therefore the more people that can buy it. It's like rating a movie PG-13. It will be interesting to see how the next installment in the HL franchise looks, seeing as how that's kinda Valve's flagship series. "

Most decent game engines can scale up and down as needed, it depends on the detail of the assets and code you use them with. Source is unique in that they can incrementally pile on stuff on top of it to update the engine. It's not like Unreal in that it comes in discrete "versions". This means the HL2 engine and the one running Portal 2 are different beasts. Also the Source engine doesn't seem to have some sort of level streaming implemented yet unlike Unreal. When you add up the load screens after getting Chell killed it gets a little too annoying. Especially in this day and age where games like Bad Company 2 and Resident Evil 5 load up huge and detailed maps in a snap. Hell on my box Crysis 2 in maxed-out detail loads faster in some cases.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By KaosAngel

The loading isn't that bad.  I have an i5, and never noticed anything too bad.  At the most it was about 10 seconds.
    My problem with the game is the length.  

EDIT:  I have put more hours into MK9 during the same week I played Portal 2.  

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By sjschmidt93

I wish they would have hid the loading during the elevators. It's still annoying, but I'd rather watch an elevator go up than a loading screen.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Snail

Doesn't this all (long and frequent loads/no arms, feet, etc.) have to do with the fact that the Source engine is kind of dated?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Slaker117
    @KaosAngel: The problem isn't the loading time, it's the loading placement. 10 seconds isn't much of a wait, but it's annoying as hell when it's thrown into the middle of an escape scene.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

30 seconds? I had 15 second loads at most.

Also, it's that or you bitch about elevators like its 1990-Mass Effect all over again.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Spoonman671

It is a bit silly.  I guess Valve never got around to introducing any kind of streaming technology to the source engine.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @KaosAngel: The problem isn't the loading time, it's the loading placement. 10 seconds isn't much of a wait, but it's annoying as hell when it's thrown into the middle of an escape scene. "
    Oh those loading.  Yeah, you just get used to them from Valve.  I was surprised L4D didn't do that.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho

lol consoles

Lopatnik1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lopatnik1

The loading time was fine for me i guess. I think Half-Life 2 had the more annoying loading times.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By 1337W422102

I got really annoyed by them in co-op.  Frequent loading screens AND that annoying animation of the robots being disassembled.  The loading itself is very fast (less than 30 seconds), but I just got fed up having to see it over and over again.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46  Edited By Geno

Yeah not really sure what's with that. Didn't the first Portal have similarly sized levels but much less loading? 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

First Portal has much smaller levels and there's less going on. Portal 2 opens up at a lot of spots and there are more moving parts, so to speak.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By project343

I actually enjoy the load times. Watching the Aperture logo change, getting some mental relaxation time, spacing out a bit. The loads are almost always in places where they feel appropriate (I don't mind the 'speedy' sequence loading either).

As far as I'm concerned, the only bad load time is either over 30 seconds long, or frequent location transitions in open world games (think: Oblivion)--because you're often going back and forth and transitioning frequently.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tmthomsen

The loading is very fast on a PC, so I didn't mind it at all.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It didn't ruin my experience, but there were some rooms I got through faster than the load to get there...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.