Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

*Spoliers* Let's talk about the ending.

• 165 results
    napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By napalmtrees
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

man.. you're unbelievable you've beaten it already? in what, 10 hours since its RELEASE ?
     its gonna take me a week or two to beat no matter how much i enjoy it..
     u mad brah

Edit: now that i've beaten it myself.. wow. i am so speechless i am without speech. i really dont have the energy to discuss such a genius game, it's too much genius. so many underlying themes and connections and references, it's fucking crazy.

fucking loved it is all i can say
    napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalmtrees

I more or less couldn't stop playing once it got going.  It's terribly engrossing.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By infininja

It was a little weird.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalmtrees
    @Make_Me_Mad:
    guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By guanophobic

I agree that the singing turrets felt way off, they could've saved that for pr later on...

I'm really curious about how glados recognized you from the original, aren't you just a clone? Shouldn't she be aware of this?
    You got out of the facility in the first one, however, you were dragged by some mechanical thing after the "fade to black"...
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NoDeath
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  I beat it about 3-4 hours ago. I hit play literally the second the timer finished. Single sitting FTW.

As for the ending:

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NoDeath
    @dioxys:  At the end of the first game you get dragged off by an Appature robot which then preformed its automated duty of putting you in a relaxation chamber.
    napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalmtrees
    @NoDeath:
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By shiftymagician

Tell me, do we really need to use spoiler tags to talk about spoilers when you say the word spoilers in the title?

By the way,

Also, this game sorely needed a level editor of sorts, as I could see this game being awesome to make puzzles for.  It would also allow people to actually create levels that would make you feel like a portal ninja. 

The only criticism I have with this game is that there were not enough levels to really challenge your reflexes as well as your ability to solve puzzles.  I understand why it was built this way however it doesn't help to stave off my personal expectations for the game.  Hardly any of the crazy stunts were incorporated into the final game, which left me a little disappointed.  That does not indicate that I feel that the game is bad at all, as it is still one of the best games to play this year.
    napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalmtrees
    @ShiftyMagician:
    I was having that same thought about how silly it was to use spoiler tags in a spoiler thread, but I always like to make double sure I don't ruin somebody's enjoyment of the story.
    NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NathanStack

I was kind of surprised that they took away player camera control as much as they did during the ending sequence. That's not something Valve usually does.

napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalmtrees
    @familyphotoshoot:
    The fact it was prerendered also surprised me.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shiftymagician
    @napalmtrees:  I had the same thought as well.  I personally don't want to but if there are silly people that people want me to cater for then I will keep it in the tags.

@familyphotoshoot said:
    " I was kind of surprised that they took away player camera control as much as they did during the ending sequence. That's not something Valve usually does. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time that Valve decided to rely on a pre-rendered scene for the ending instead of a real-time ending? 

I'm just speculating here, but I think Valve are not too confident in their engine as they used to if they had to go that route.  This may be also a very subtle indicator that they are working hard on a new engine now if the developers personally prefer to do things in real-time as much as possible.  This isn't to say the game doesn't look good, as it is still very nice to look at.  It also helps when there are so many things animating in the levels, giving the game life which I always appreciate.  Also, amazing ambient music and loved every bit of it.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Davvyk

Finished it in a single sitting and i have to agree the turrets were weird and the companion cube was also really weird. The companion cube is just supposed to be an inanimate object that gets a personality painted onto it by the player, the way they ended with it kinda messed that up.

Other than that the ending was great. Loved the whole thing and it isnt very often im compelled to play an entire game in one sitting.
    elwillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By elwillow
    NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NathanStack

Also, what does the ending say about what's to come in Episode 3?

We know that Aperture Science and Black Mesa exist in the same universe, and that the companies are aware of each other. GLaDOS seems to know what's going on with the Combine in Portal 1, because she has those lines about how Chell wouldn't really want to know what's going on outside, leading me to believe that Portal 1 happens around the same time as the events of Half-Life 2. We're not told how much time passes between Portal 1 and Portal 2, but it's obviously quite a while given the level of vegetation covering areas of the facility. 

Half-Life 2 made it seem that the Combine were draining Earth of its natural resources (massively decreased ocean levels, the canals being half drained, etc...). It doesn't seem like the field we see at the end of the game could exist on a planet that was being slowly harvested by an alien race.

napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalmtrees
    @familyphotoshoot:
    It said nothing about what's to come in Episode 3.  I think the fact they exist in the same universe and have a few crossing threads means nothing to the overarching plot to either series.
    NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NathanStack
    @napalmtrees: 

The Borealis seemed extremely important in Episode 2, and we know that whatever happened to that ship was a direct result of the experiments Aperture was doing.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Cirdain
    napalmtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalmtrees
    @familyphotoshoot:
    Right, but it's been clear from the beginning that the stuff happening in Portal is pretty divorced from what is happening in Half life 2.  Especially considering Portal 2 just established that it takes place on a different continent from Half life 2.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Legend

Here are my thoughts: You can't fucking talk in space! And if anyone suddenly popped up on the moon like that their lungs would explode! Seriously, though, I loved the ending and I was a bit sad it was over. Now we wait for Portal 3.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ares42

Hmm, I dunno.. the story is sorta all over the place already, so by the time I reached the end I was just ready for ridiculousness of any kind. I have to agree though, the moon was by far the best part :P

Physic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Physic

Did anyone else find the "Missing Experiment" for the Ship Overboard achievement??  Serious tease by Valve with that one.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JammyJesus

I enjoyed the ending. I also felt that Cave Johnson was underused (no real conclusion to what happened to him, I was expecting him to be a part of Glados) and no hints towards Episode 3. I hope we see more of those guys in E3 like. 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Legend said:
    " Here are my thoughts: You can't fucking talk in space! And if anyone suddenly popped up on the moon like that their lungs would explode! Seriously, though, I loved the ending and I was a bit sad it was over. Now we wait for Portal 3. "
    Excuse me if my half excuses I use to console myself about things like this are incorrect BUT, couldn't the portal be venting enough atmosphere to sustain Chell until she gets back through?

And they're robots, while we were the camera.  In all possibility they could be talking with infrared signal or we could be listening to their thoughts.

Regardless the ending seemed to sum up the series well... which saddens me.
    BravoJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BravoJade

I feel so conflicted about the game.  Technically, I think it's a masterpiece.  I loved the gameplay mechanics, art, sense of scale, etc., but I'm just completely disappointed with the lack of any real story progress.  At the end of the game, we're at the same point we were at the end of the first.  All the exposition was interesting enough, but it's completely irrelevant.  All that writing felt like something that should be in an other-media prequel or something.  The whole story is so non-committal and inconsequential.  It dances around saying or doing anything concrete.  I guess that's something I have to realize.  Portal could be set in the Half-Life universe because it was so self-contained.  At the end of the first one, I felt like Portal and Half-Life were ready to smash head-on and interweave.  That expectation obviously was either never planned by Valve or forgotten by them.  So while I loved playing the game, looking back on it makes it feel like they remade Portal with better exposition and really fun gameplay additions.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By FengShuiGod
    @BravoJade said:
    " I feel so conflicted about the game.  Technically, I think it's a masterpiece.  I loved the gameplay mechanics, art, sense of scale, etc., but I'm just completely disappointed with the lack of any real story progress.  At the end of the game, we're at the same point we were at the end of the first.  All the exposition was interesting enough, but it's completely irrelevant.  All that writing felt like something that should be in an other-media prequel or something.  The whole story is so non-committal and inconsequential.  It dances around saying or doing anything concrete.  I guess that's something I have to realize.  Portal could be set in the Half-Life universe because it was so self-contained.  At the end of the first one, I felt like Portal and Half-Life were ready to smash head-on and interweave.  That expectation obviously was either never planned by Valve or forgotten by them.  So while I loved playing the game, looking back on it makes it feel like they remade Portal with better exposition and really fun gameplay additions. "
    Yeah, this is how I feel. There is some interesting in game stuff, and more easter eggs will probably be found over time, but we really didn't learn anything. All we know is that the Combine don't blow up Earth. pfthhh

The game is definitely game play heavy and story lite.
    borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By borgmaster

I took that scene at the end to mean that this game takes place after the combine have been driven off the planet and the human race is recovering.

Anyone else notice that the turret king in the part with the singing turrets looked like the "animal king" at the beginning of the game?

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Crono11
    @borgmaster: Yeah I thought that was great. 
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FengShuiGod

And Glados says she saw humans. Which may be Combine. But if Combine were there, would the Earth look that good? Combine were mining and destroying everything. So if there are still humans, and the Earth is there, do I really feel any tension about the conclusion of Half-Life? Nothing is a certainty, but this ending make me feel less eager to wrap up the Half-Life series.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By project343

Portal 1 ended with the notion that she was 'still alive.' Obviously, she was. And that was the crux of how this game gets going.

Portal 2, on the hand, ended with the notion that...

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FengShuiGod
    @project343 said:
    " Portal 1 ended with the notion that she was 'still alive.' Obviously, she was. And that was the crux of how this game gets going.

"
    Totally possible. She wants you outta there. An evil robot with unfettered access to a huge science facility? Can't be good.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#35  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @FengShuiGod said:
    " @project343 said:
    " Portal 1 ended with the notion that she was 'still alive.' Obviously, she was. And that was the crux of how this game gets going.

"
    Totally possible. She wants you outta there. An evil robot with unfettered access to a huge science facility? Can't be good. "
    This stuff, all true. I feel like I'm the only one who found that bit with the moon a little too on the nose for the moment they'd built up, and the fact that GLaDOS had character progression and then just deleted it as a sort of punchline was a bit disappointing. The singing turrets were fine with me, as was the Companion Cube getting thrown up there by GLaDOS was pretty funny.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cornman89

The whole moon thing was great. When the roof fell away, I just shot it on a whim, and I'd totally forgotten that the white paint was made of moon dust. Amazing.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Evilsbane

Yea not really explaining what ended up happening to Cave is my only real concern.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NathanStack
    @Evilsbane:
    He got sick after being exposed to some stuff during the initial portal testing, remember? I think it's safe to assume that he died because he talked about wanting Caroline to be uploaded to the computers and to run Aperture if he died before they could upload him.
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By korolev

I really liked the ending. It was a bit quirky, but it felt right. Portal's always been zany.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    MASSIVE SPOILERS DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED IT GODDAMNIT

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FirePrince

Who is Caroline?And who the hell is the Rat Man?
    Other than that, I enjoyed the ending, and was pleasantly surprised by the end song.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By InsidiousTuna
    @Ertard: That was P-Body, one of the co-op robots. Not a dude. There are probably more fleeting glimpses of activity in the game, but i do know what you're talking about, and the first time I saw it I had to reload the save file and watch. It's just P-Body.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

On the MOON.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mracoon
    @FirePrince: Caroline was Cave Johnson's assistant.

As soon as I saw the moon in the sky I thought how the hell is this going to work but it turned out to be pretty cool. As for the turrets singing, it fits in pretty well with humour of Portal well. It's not like the game takes itself very seriously.

Defective Turret is my new favourite character.
    Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ktargo
    @FirePrince: From what I gather, Rattmann is one of the scientists who worked on GLaDOS. He was the one leaving all the scribbled messages and hints on the walls and inside secret areas around the test chambers to help the test subjects, namely Chell. He modified computer files to allow her to be the first test subject in Portal. He escaped the facility after Chell defeated GLaDOS and followed her as she got dragged back in. Also he saved Chell from her cryo chamber going offline, turning back on her life-support allowing her to wake up to the events of Portal 2. He was the focus of the comic they put out before Portal 2 launched.

Caroline was Cave Johnson's assistant. Her personality (?) was uploaded into GLaDOS to run Aperture after he died. There's one point in the game where a near-death Cave comes on one of the recordings saying he wanted her to take over things if they couldn't successfully do the same to him before he died.

This information is just my speculation from what I've played/seen but I could have misinterpreted something and could be wrong.

@Ertard: I can confirm it was P-Body too. I also spotted him before he ran off and reloaded my save to see what it was.

@mracoon: In the credits, I think I saw the Defective Turret was voiced by Nolan North so bonus points! Northies here we come.
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By rentfn

I LOVED the king Turret in the background joining in on the fun. I thought that was a great throw back to the screens warning you of it's coming.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By louiedog
    @Prototype072:  Yup. I came in here to post that my biggest surprise was Nolan North's name in the credits. If a game only has a couple of speaking roles, he finds a way to be one of them.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mracoon
    @Prototype072: Seriously? Unless he pulls out another great performance he should definitely win the Northie for this.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By dtat

I agree. I did like the fact that you stop in front of them at first though. It was like "I knew it was a trap! Oh...they're singing." That was kind of a funny moment. They could have done without it. It didn't ruin the ending by any means for me though.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By dtat
    @Legend said:
    " Here are my thoughts: You can't fucking talk in space! And if anyone suddenly popped up on the moon like that their lungs would explode! Seriously, though, I loved the ending and I was a bit sad it was over. Now we wait for Portal 3. "
    Do you really want a Portal 3 though? It seemed like things wrapped up perfectly. What could they possibly do now? A new test subject? Chell out in the real world? Neither of those sound very interesting to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.