Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Thoughts on the map editor so far.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By D_W

I decided to a little vlog about the new Portal 2 map editor.  

My current thoughts on it is that it's a really amazing tool, but it doesn't quite have everything that it really should. I really hope (and assume) that Valve will update it with more items, diagonal surfaces, doors, lights, and so on. I haven't tried decompiling a map that I've made in the editor in Hammer yet, but I'll probably get around to it eventually. 

So what are you guys' opinions on the map editor so far? Too simple? Too complex?
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fattony12000

Great video, I think we say pretty much the same thing about it! I'm sure you can do more advanced stuff with it, because the map I show in the second part of my video has some crazy stuff going on.

SIMPLE YET POWERFUL!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

It's pretty awesome. I'm not a going to create maps, so this doesn't really interest me. I'm mostly just looking forward to playing all of the great maps created by the community.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tim_the_corsair

It's pound for pound the best editor ever made for an FPS (I know, I know) Not the most powerful, by any stretch, but the accessibility to power ratio is great

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheHumanDove

Lolwut. Your reactions are crazy. This map editor is essentially a console version of a map editor. Which means it has no depth. And I'm essentially a console player. The editor isn't great. Also, most of the levels you all download aren't from that official editor. It's the hammer editor. Just sayin

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valrog

I think the Editor is pretty great, simple but effective.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By JTB123

I think it's pretty good so far, sure it's limited, but I'm sure they will build upon it in the future by adding new features and assets. I just wish it was a little more optimised, there's only a build all function, when you have to change just one thing and wait for the entire chamber to be built is a little annoying.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sbaitso

Not enough 1-1 yet.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Lokno

I think that most laudable thing about the editor is that it's simple. More items would be nice, but I don't want them to muddle the message; anyone should be able to make a clean functional Portal level without much effort and almost no concern for theming. Dialogue cues wouldn't really make sense in the story context they've built around the feature.

If there is one thing I'd like to see, it would be a way to try out changes in game view without needing to recalculate all the light maps, environment maps, etc. A flat shaded blue-print style render like the one demonstrated in edit mode would be great. Or simply an option to forego baking textures when you're just moving a cube on panel over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.