Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psychonauts

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 19, 2005

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

Deep Look: Psychonauts

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Hey All, this is my first foray into the motion pictures! I'm starting a video series ya'll! I call me series deep looks. The videos are largely gameplay and commentary like a Giantbomb quicklook; however, I try to cover games that have been out for a while and I intend to use the videos to highlight moments and mechanics that I found interesting. Also I aim to keep the videos under 20 minutes (maybe I should have called them actual quick looks). In this video I break down Psychonauts and its clairvoyance power and explain the many ways clairvoyance is used in the game. Spoilers people Spoilers!!!

This is my first attempt at something like this so any and all feedback is welcome!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Twenty minutes seems like a reasonable cap to any gameplay video. Good luck with your videos.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea, I would recommend a few things though. It's 4am here, so I apologize if my thoughts are a bit scattered. First, if you are thinking of making these like a series I recommend you get a new microphone, or maybe adjust the settings there was a lot of background noise (an audible hum). You could've have reduced the length of this video if you cut out the parts where you were just traversing around, don't know if you are comfortable with video editing software but a few cuts here and there would suffice. Unless, you are going for the one take sort of deal in the same vein as quick looks, then I understand. If not, I would suggest maybe writing a lil script to gather your thoughts a bit better.

Psychonauts is one of my favorite games as well, so many details that make this game charming. I would get a kick trying out different powers or items on characters and seeing their reactions. Anyways, good luck!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thatpinguino  Staff

@coafi: I'm using a blue yeti mike and I have the gain set all the way down so I'm not sure what else I can do to lower the mic sensitivity other than speak lower. I'm sure I'll figure that out though. I was thinking of doing everything in one long take like quick looks because I don't have editing software or expertise yet, but I could always go that route later on. I take some mental notes about talking points I want to cover, but some flash cards and practice would help smooth things out. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm probably going to do at least one more Psychonauts video to cover some of the cool level design tricks that the game employs. I would love to show all of the different ways you can get dialog out of a character as well.

Descends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey, great first video. Never got that far in Psychonauts and it's cool to see what I missed. From your blog history i'm expecting to see something about Final Fantasy next. Maybe i'll get to see something I missed when I stopped those games early.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

@descends: I'm planning one more Psychonauts video, but after that I'm not 100% sure. I think I'll look at FFVIII since it has a nice, convenient PC version.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By Slag

Deep Look are shorter than Quick Looks. That seems appropriate somehow.

Best part of that video? I now know how to pronounce you screen-name.

I thought you did a pretty good job! Especially for your first time. You had plenty to say, didn't really stammer or have much dead air. Like all video series, the main thing I think would help is to a co-commentator. And one you get going better mike/sound quality.

edit: yeah you need a better sign off. That's cool tho.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@slag: Thanks a bunch! I want to try to step up my own showmanship before bringing someone else on, but every broadcast is more interesting with multiple people. A friend and I are in the planning stages of a charity stream, but we are keeping the details on the down low until we can hammer some things down. My mic is actually quite good, I just need to figure out how to optimize the audio setup in my recording room. My computer sounds like a jet engine right now and that is messing everything up. I'll keep testing sign-offs until I find one that sticks, or maybe I'll just use a different terrible one every week.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By Slag

@slag: Thanks a bunch! I want to try to step up my own showmanship before bringing someone else on, but every broadcast is more interesting with multiple people. A friend and I are in the planning stages of a charity stream, but we are keeping the details on the down low until we can hammer some things down. My mic is actually quite good, I just need to figure out how to optimize the audio setup in my recording room. My computer sounds like a jet engine right now and that is messing everything up. I'll keep testing sign-offs until I find one that sticks, or maybe I'll just use a different terrible one every week.

good deal duder and have fun!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

I figured out what was causing the background noise in my video. I had my mic set on omidirectional recording instead of cardioid... So the next video should have less white noise and better overall voice quality!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.