Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Please Rockstar, let me save my game.

Buttersthatsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Buttersthatsme

Playing Red Dead Redemption has been a blast, the single player campaign had moments that I will remember for a long time and the multiplayer is fun enough if you can find yourself a good posse. There was one thing however that bugged me. That was the ability (or lack thereof) to save the game without setting up camp/sleeping in a bed. More times than I care to remember have I gone out on mega hunting sprees, killing and skinning countless animals, when suddenly I will find myself coming out second best after fighting with a ninja cougar. Most, if not all, of what I had just hunted has been lost. When playing a game as good as RDR you should not be forced to jump through hoops just to save your game for the sake of some perceived realism. I do realize you can use horse deeds and other such devices to autosave but saving the game should be as simple as pausing the game and pressing save. Let me know what you think.

Buttersthatsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Buttersthatsme

Playing Red Dead Redemption has been a blast, the single player campaign had moments that I will remember for a long time and the multiplayer is fun enough if you can find yourself a good posse. There was one thing however that bugged me. That was the ability (or lack thereof) to save the game without setting up camp/sleeping in a bed. More times than I care to remember have I gone out on mega hunting sprees, killing and skinning countless animals, when suddenly I will find myself coming out second best after fighting with a ninja cougar. Most, if not all, of what I had just hunted has been lost. When playing a game as good as RDR you should not be forced to jump through hoops just to save your game for the sake of some perceived realism. I do realize you can use horse deeds and other such devices to autosave but saving the game should be as simple as pausing the game and pressing save. Let me know what you think.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

You can save with the camp basically anywhere, you're never that far from a safe house and if you're actually doing stuff, the game's fairy generous with its use of auto save. I don't see any issues.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tunaburn

yea just set up camp to save. its a good system.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Kiro

I agree completely. It is really tedious to save in Red Dead, and I don't see reason why we shouldn't be able to save from the start menu. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

CAMP.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Buttersthatsme: Play Demon's Souls.  Red Dead Redemption is generous with its saving system (at camps and bedrooms).  Other than the hunting challenges and some of the minigames, the game is a cakewalk.  In the "boss" stages, *you* are the boss with the gattling or machine gun.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By delta_ass

I agree with the OP. Saving anytime anywhere would be a huge improvement.

Fuck setting up a camp every two minutes.

Buttersthatsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Buttersthatsme
    @Hitchenson:  
    If you could save the game without using the camp would you? If the answer was yes then it is not a feature that should simply be excluded in favour of one that is perceived as more 'realistic'. I have no problem with the ability to save from the camp and the camp is also useful for quick travel but having both options would be nice.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Buttersthatsme said:
    " @Hitchenson:  If you could save the game without using the camp would you? If the answer was yes then it is not a feature that should simply be excluded in favour of one that is perceived as more 'realistic'. I have no problem with the ability to save from the camp and the camp is also useful for quick travel but having both options would be nice. "
    Not really. Got used to it since Grand Theft Auto III.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Buttersthatsme: But then I'd find myself saving every 10 seconds, thus there would be no risk in anything I'm doing which would cause me to enjoy the game less. Yes, I know, I'm not being forced to use the feature, but I would inevitably use it too much. 

Besides, I always like having features put into the game world rather than just static menu options.
    Buttersthatsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Buttersthatsme
    @Hitchenson:  
    Using the save mechanic to create gaming tension can be a dangerous. There is, after all, a fine line between gaming tension and frustration.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Buttersthatsme: Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd be happy with all games having similar saving systems to that of R* games.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By shirogane

It's already much better than GTA, where you had to go back to a safehouse. 

Essentially it's the same as pulling up the menu, except it takes slightly longer, than most games that is, some games take ages to load up menus... 
    I can get to the save option in under 10 seconds. 

I thought this thread was going to be about not warning you before the last mission...
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DystopiaX

set up camp, press Y. done.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By RedSox8933

i want to know why the fuck I can't save when cheats are enabled. I understand why they would disable achievements, but why can't I go through a second time with cheats?

Buttersthatsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Buttersthatsme
    @RedSox8933:  
    Agreed.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @RedSox8933 said:

" i want to know why the fuck I can't save when cheats are enabled. I understand why they would disable achievements, but why can't I go through a second time with cheats? "

They don't want everyone to just depend on cheats I guess and maybe the cheats are viable to corrupted saves.
    brandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By brandt

Gotta say I don't think having to put up camp is that annoying, though fast forwarding 6 hours is.  
    I like playing the game during daytime, so when I save the game, I usually save several times untill my final save starts in the morning, so, I go and do one mission, and  
    if I feel that I want to have a save besides the autosave that I can't control and go back to if I happen to make a mistake (horse dies etc.) then I almost always have to 
    fast forward yet another day. It's disturbing to say the least.  
    Sure, set up camp, go to bed, whatever. Just let me choose to pass time or not. Let me set a alarm like Far Cry 2 or something.

Buttersthatsme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Buttersthatsme
    @brandt:  
    Totally agree. One of the main reasons I would not save often with the camp is that I didn't want to jump forward 6 hours, I wanted to continue right where I left of.
    RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By RavenX302

you should be able to save without pushing time up six hours....that can be really annoying.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Capum15

I kind of like the save system. Probably just have gotten used to it since Vice City though.

But after huge hunting sprees, I always change my aiming then change it back to quick save, just in case.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo

There are about 3 methods of getting a save point whenever you need one (Camp, break a wild horse, change your horse), plus it autosaves whenever you complete something.  If you're still finding yourself losing a significant amount of progress, it's because you are neglecting to do any of these things. 

I agree that a "Wake up at x o'clock" feature would have been handy, as well as the ability to have a few days pass.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @Buttersthatsme: But then I'd find myself saving every 10 seconds, thus there would be no risk in anything I'm doing which would cause me to enjoy the game less. Yes, I know, I'm not being forced to use the feature, but I would inevitably use it too much.  Besides, I always like having features put into the game world rather than just static menu options. "
    Exactly this. All of it.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Ujio

No Caption Provided
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

Geeze. There are so many ways to save this game I can't believe anyone would actually have an issue with it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

Maybe I'm confused, haven't played the game since my Xbox 360 broke. But I remember gathering a bunch of skins, hearts, feathers, etc. and dying only to be respawned with all my stuff collected still there. I'll have to check that when I get my Xbox 360 back.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok
    @brandt said:
    " Gotta say I don't think having to put up camp is that annoying, though fast forwarding 6 hours is.  I like playing the game during daytime, so when I save the game, I usually save several times untill my final save starts in the morning, so, I go and do one mission, and  if I feel that I want to have a save besides the autosave that I can't control and go back to if I happen to make a mistake (horse dies etc.) then I almost always have to fast forward yet another day. It's disturbing to say the least.  Sure, set up camp, go to bed, whatever. Just let me choose to pass time or not. Let me set a alarm like Far Cry 2 or something. "
    You don't have to actually save to move time forward. Just pressing Y/Triangle and then B/Circle will move time forward.
    Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MightyMayorMike

It didn't make sense to me the first time I died in RDR and actually lost progress. GTA just kept you going.

I don't need games to hold my hand or whatever the counter argument to this is. It was just an interesting choice from Rockstar.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Damian

I'm pretty sure you don't lose any progress if you die other than travel. 
    The system is fine, though I wouldn't mind a way to shorten sleep times.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedHerb
    @Damian: 
    You lose progress when you die, you lose everything you have collected since the last save.  It's just tiresome, collecting 20 bird feathers or red sage over and over again because of cougar attacks or having spent time collecting fox furs (which is far more tenious) only to lose it all in a duel gone bad/suprise attack. Alos the lacking of checkpoint on gang hideouts is also not so good.

Other than that the save/checkpointing is pretty good.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jmrwacko

I really like the Red Dead Redemption save system because it causes me to limit the amount of times I save, since I get real deep into the role-play and saving means sleeping and passing six hours. I'm a real compulsive quicksaver otherwise, and not being able to constantly save makes me a little more cautious and increases the immersion.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Relys

Here's an idea. 

How about rockstar just enables god mode instead?

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Sitoxity

It really isn't that much bother to set up a camp and save. The only trouble is sometimes finding the right spot. It's better than having to trek back to a town/settlement where you own a bed.

Don't forgoet that the autosave system in this game is also VERY generous. PRobably one of the most generous autosaves in recent games I've seen anyway.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tunaburn

i did the save system. it makes sense to me to have to sleep to save your game. at least some slight sort of deterrance from just saving after every single tiny thing which always took the difficulty completely out the games for me. and this game is already easy enough.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tunaburn
    @RedHerb said:
    " @Damian:  You lose progress when you die, you lose everything you have collected since the last save.  It's just tiresome, collecting 20 bird feathers or red sage over and over again because of cougar attacks or having spent time collecting fox furs (which is far more tenious) only to lose it all in a duel gone bad/suprise attack. Alos the lacking of checkpoint on gang hideouts is also not so good. Other than that the save/checkpointing is pretty good. "
    you dont lose anything when you die. i just collected all 10 red sage i need for this stranger and died from a cougar. i spawned back in my room and still have all the red sage.
    ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThePaleKing

I don't see what the problem is with the save system. When you die you do not lose any progress, you basically just respawn in your safe house. I've done a bunch of shit for ambient quests and then gotten killed by some ninja cougar, but everything I collected was still there. The only time you lose stuff is if you die during a mission, because you are reverted to a checkpoint, but that's a normal system we see in every game. 

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ElegantRuby

Ninja Cougars are the worst.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @ThePaleKing:  I'm not sure what you did different, but you do lose all your items since the last save if you die.  Most likely you completed a challenge or something before you died.  Clearly complaining about RDR is not cool on these boards, but I have had the same complaint about losing challenge progress due to ninja cougars.

I don't hate this game by any stretch, but personally, I hate it when I get in a hunting groove and then lose all of my progress because of a random encounter.  I don't think the save system is a huge burden, but I found it annoying enough that I didn't feel like taking a break from my progress to set up camp.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I find the autosave is pretty generous. Especially once you unlock the challenges (sharpshooter, survivalist, etc). Also, will the campsite, I never had any issues saving. Set up camp, save right there or fast travel to your nearest safehouse. Rockstar's sandbox games simply don't have a save anywhere, anytime system. They never have. The campsite is the closest equivalent to that. 

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @Buttersthatsme:
    Weird. I've never had any problems with lost progress or saving. You can save at camp anywhere in the world and it autosaves after every herb you pick or animal you skin. Maybe your autosave is turned off or something? My only issue with the game is that annoying come back at a certain time to do this mission thing, there should be an option to just fast foward without having to make camp and save.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By pweidman

If you want the super fast save, just switch horse deeds.  The camp save is fine also, takes a few seconds and time progresses, but other than being picky about day versus night, the world is so filled w/stuff and there's always plenty to do anytime.  If you're in cougar territory it adds a great tension to the gathering sessions.  I just make myself set a camp and save every so often to eliminate the cash losses.  If you're gathering for strangers/challenges the numbers are updated and count regardless of an untimely death.   And starting a hideout autosaves after you speak to the npc I believe. 
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RedHerb
    @tunaburn: Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was wondering what had happened to all those feathers, pelts and half completed challenges that had disappeared when i died. Now I know.
    Wickstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wickstrom
    Much agreed. I hate having to go out of my way to find a spot to save. It's annoying and time consuming
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It does sometimes get annoying, cause I save the game and wake up 6 hours later only to find out that it's night time and you can't do the quest until the morning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.