Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

So I Finished RE5's Story...

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Thoughts, but Not a Review

The only real
    The only real "Character" we got
       I figured I'd save my review because I want to finish checking out the extra content, but I also wanted to just take this time to share some more personal thoughts on the overall feel and story ofResident Evil 5. Fair warning, Spoilers ahead! Turn back now if ye haven't finished it or don't give a damn.

I liked the story alright, but I don't think I liked it as aResident Evil story. Part of it is because, be it Ouroboros or Las Plagas, it kind of feels like RE4 all over again, sans the amusing bit about the presidents daughter being kidnapped (and whether or not you're a bad enough dude to save her), and more whining.

First off, Chris Redfield. They try to convince us that Jill is dead but anybody with half a brain (From experience) can figure out that not only is she still alive, but that mysterious cloaked figure is totally her. I don't know how, but I think that whole story could have been handled much better and made for a much more gasping reveal, as opposed to "How is it that Me and Wesker are the only people in this room that have figured it out?"

Sheva, aside from having the most made-up sounding name since Dr. Spaceman (30 Rock reference, it's pronounced "Spa-che-men"), has almost no history. And she's so uptight and sans a personality that there's really no empathatic link properly established to her, at least from this guy's opinion. Ashley at least was a helpless damsel, so you kind of had to establish empathy out of necessity, though I did manage to take a rocket launcher to her more than once out of frustration. What I think is even worst is how they try and shoehorn the most atypical story ever: Parents were killed by blank, so I'm going after blank. Overall she felt more tacked on, and, given my comments above, couldn't she just have been Jill?

Playing through Resident Evil 4 I found myself wowed and in awe almost every time I reached a new chapter because of the interesting scenarios that were presented. Be it the first time I fought Del Lago, or the grandiose and over the top archecture of the castle, the game never ceased to amaze me at where it was going. Five? Not so much. In fact, aside from swapping my Ganados with Majinis, there wasn't a whole lot of difference. We had our 3rd world village, a big lake, a factory or refinery type scenario... Aside from a little time in the savannah, nothing really felt new. All technically impressive environments, sure, but nothing really made me go "Oh, wow, this is interesting," in terms of scenario.

Also, where was the banter? We don't even really have a villain to personify until Chapter 5, when Wesker and his pair-of-boobs partner show up. Before then there was just that Ricardo guy but he had like 10 lines. None of these characters had the ominous nature of Mendez, Salazar, or Sadler. And again, where was the banter?! Where was my "Writhe in my cage of torment!" or "Saddler, you're small time!"

Overall I felt the game took itself too seriously, especially considering some of it's history. Between the Bourne I-Wannabe camera angle and the stuffy dialogue... I don't know, as much as the gameplay is still phenomonal and the presentation is immaculate... The story wasn't really there for me. And there were no real characters that drew the experience together, beside Ricardo, and he was terribly shortlived. Even my long-amored Wesker seemed a little plain this time around.

Also, why did they cut theMerchant? He was my favorite character... Instead I get a faceless shop screen, which, for the record, is far clumsier than the Merchant ever was.

Thoughts? Disagreements? Other things you would like to bring up? Don't get me wrong, I love this game, and once I get through the rest of the content my review should reflect quite well upon it. I just kinda wanted to get this set of details off of my chest, because for the most part I don't think it should reflect as negatively as it might sound in my review.

-Make it a good one.
    Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Thoughts, but Not a Review

The only real
    The only real "Character" we got
       I figured I'd save my review because I want to finish checking out the extra content, but I also wanted to just take this time to share some more personal thoughts on the overall feel and story ofResident Evil 5. Fair warning, Spoilers ahead! Turn back now if ye haven't finished it or don't give a damn.

I liked the story alright, but I don't think I liked it as aResident Evil story. Part of it is because, be it Ouroboros or Las Plagas, it kind of feels like RE4 all over again, sans the amusing bit about the presidents daughter being kidnapped (and whether or not you're a bad enough dude to save her), and more whining.

First off, Chris Redfield. They try to convince us that Jill is dead but anybody with half a brain (From experience) can figure out that not only is she still alive, but that mysterious cloaked figure is totally her. I don't know how, but I think that whole story could have been handled much better and made for a much more gasping reveal, as opposed to "How is it that Me and Wesker are the only people in this room that have figured it out?"

Sheva, aside from having the most made-up sounding name since Dr. Spaceman (30 Rock reference, it's pronounced "Spa-che-men"), has almost no history. And she's so uptight and sans a personality that there's really no empathatic link properly established to her, at least from this guy's opinion. Ashley at least was a helpless damsel, so you kind of had to establish empathy out of necessity, though I did manage to take a rocket launcher to her more than once out of frustration. What I think is even worst is how they try and shoehorn the most atypical story ever: Parents were killed by blank, so I'm going after blank. Overall she felt more tacked on, and, given my comments above, couldn't she just have been Jill?

Playing through Resident Evil 4 I found myself wowed and in awe almost every time I reached a new chapter because of the interesting scenarios that were presented. Be it the first time I fought Del Lago, or the grandiose and over the top archecture of the castle, the game never ceased to amaze me at where it was going. Five? Not so much. In fact, aside from swapping my Ganados with Majinis, there wasn't a whole lot of difference. We had our 3rd world village, a big lake, a factory or refinery type scenario... Aside from a little time in the savannah, nothing really felt new. All technically impressive environments, sure, but nothing really made me go "Oh, wow, this is interesting," in terms of scenario.

Also, where was the banter? We don't even really have a villain to personify until Chapter 5, when Wesker and his pair-of-boobs partner show up. Before then there was just that Ricardo guy but he had like 10 lines. None of these characters had the ominous nature of Mendez, Salazar, or Sadler. And again, where was the banter?! Where was my "Writhe in my cage of torment!" or "Saddler, you're small time!"

Overall I felt the game took itself too seriously, especially considering some of it's history. Between the Bourne I-Wannabe camera angle and the stuffy dialogue... I don't know, as much as the gameplay is still phenomonal and the presentation is immaculate... The story wasn't really there for me. And there were no real characters that drew the experience together, beside Ricardo, and he was terribly shortlived. Even my long-amored Wesker seemed a little plain this time around.

Also, why did they cut theMerchant? He was my favorite character... Instead I get a faceless shop screen, which, for the record, is far clumsier than the Merchant ever was.

Thoughts? Disagreements? Other things you would like to bring up? Don't get me wrong, I love this game, and once I get through the rest of the content my review should reflect quite well upon it. I just kinda wanted to get this set of details off of my chest, because for the most part I don't think it should reflect as negatively as it might sound in my review.

-Make it a good one.
    Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

I actually really enjoyed the story, and while Wesker is one of my favorite villains of all time in games, I'm glad to see him finally bite the dust.  It leaves some more creative room.  We're still got Sherry Birkin and the Agency to worry about for Resident Evil 6.

I HATED the ending though.  I really would have like a bit more than a few lines from Chris.  He had just killed perhaps the most powerful man in the world, the man who had robbed him of some of his best friends during the mansion incident.  That should have been a very, very emotional scene for both Chris and Jill considering their past with Wesker.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lamegame621

Yeah, should have been a merchant. Also, dialogue kind of blows near the ending and doesn't at all help the story. Oh well, I still really love the game. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this review matches my sentiments pretty well. 

Story is not so great, but playing the game is still pretty goddamn clairvoyant. 

SoFuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SoFuLL

Agreed, but hella fun to play!!!

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kratos81

The game sucks if you are comparing it to re4 as far as atmosphere, story, etc.... But once I got past that, I appreciated the game for what it is. A fun 3rd ps, with lots of replay value. Re5 is a good game just not a good RE game. 

Avatar image for prettyhatemachine
    prettyhatemachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By prettyhatemachine

I think as conclusion to the series it really left a sour taste. Seemed like Wesker just had a complete character change from what the series has built him  up to be as a vain, calculating Machiavelli-esque character into this throwaway sci-fi villain rambling about being a God and forcing evolution. I could moan all day like a purist/whiny asshole about so many story aspects of that game but think Kratos has it spot on, good game but not a good RE game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.