Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Has this game gotten any better?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I'm planing on playing through as many RE games as I can for some thought experiment (aka I'm bored and now have free time) starting with the first remake and ending with Revelations 2. The one game I did finish, the one spoken about in hushed tones, is the critically mixed-hated RE6. Now I've heard that this game has gotten a patch or 27348324783473. So I'm curious, has this game gotten to a functional state?

Defining functional state as follows: the game has made it so that one isn't constantly bashing the melee button and the camera has gotten better at showing the action. Oh, and the QTEs have been easier and reduced.

Back when I was a wee younger and more oafish, I bought and reviewed this game (it reads pretty bad, so don't go looking for it) and I hated it. I'm not expecting much more than a slightly shiner turd, but has this game reach my bare minimum of a functional state?

Oh, and I plan to write something or other based off my RE experiences. Not gonna be great, but I'm gonna try. n.n

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2  Edited By spiceninja

I enjoyed the Leon campaign for what it was and I didn't try any of the others. It's a really bland game with a convoluted story and the shooting feels bad. It was fine for the 5 hours or so I spent as Leon but playing an entire game like that for 20 hours would not be fun.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

With RE 6, which I played through all 4 campaigns in, it never felt good. I got a really good handle on the controls, and it sure looks really cool when you're handling it at a high level, but it never feels satisfying or fun. You can't change that with camera changes.

It's a really pretty turd.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SARRISS

I recently played it for the fist time and none of those issues are obvious so I assume fixed. The game is still rough to play. The timeline jumping all over the place and having the same boss fight with every character sucks but its a working game. I think anyone playing it for story should go on the easiest difficulty and people who want the gameplay should avoid it.

Revelations 1 really restored my faith in the series so maybe play that instead.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

No, it's still terrible. All of the same problems persist.

Cutscene QTEs are now inputted automatically, but not the ones during gameplay, meaning you're still stuck with a constant onslaught of multi-tiered QTEs. The FoV was increased, but that only matters for PC as the performance takes a hitch on console; maybe it helps, I can't say, but I can't imagine it'd drastically change the game in any meaningful way. The rest of the updates were related to unlocking stuff from the outset, such as Ada's campaign and Agent Hunt.

There's no salvaging RE6; it'd take a lot more than some patches to fix everything that's wrong with that game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

RE6's problems are more fundamental than something that could be fixed in a patch.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Great game, I'd say slightly better than RE5 on the whole. Almost nothing is better than RE4 so no shame in that. A big thing to focus on is learning all the counter timings if you really want to be good at the game, it feels so satisfying every time. Of course you can just avoid almost everything as well. The only real sore spot is Chris/Piers' final level but even that is tolerable.

Mercenaries is definitely a lot more fluid than previous games, less abusing invincibility animations and more just playing cleanly.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

No. The patches don't fix its biggest problems.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to highlight, repeat and reaffirm this:

@yummylee said:

There's no salvaging RE6

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joemotycki

The thing that really stuck in my mind for RE6 was the set piece events and the fact that almost all of them are terrible. They do a TERRIBLE job of making those moments matter by either taking control away from you, giving you bad story dialogue or just making you do stuff that's not fun. Boy, the story in this game, especially Leon's, is just brutal. I'm not too knowledgeable about the RE series so I had to ask a friend of mine whether Simmons was a character from a previous game but its turns out that no, he just comes out of nowhere to be the villain of RE6. The fact that they just randomly have a guy say "Yeah I'm the bad guy" at the beginning of the game is really stupid. Also, I know Eastern Europe is kind of grey, but RE6 makes it look ALL GREY. It looks so bland and terrible, but at least it fits in well with the rest of the game at least!

Boy do I hate these things.
    Boy do I hate these things.

There are so many cringe-worthy moments that I'll just name a few. Remember in Jake's campaign when you're in a helicopter and being chased by Ustanak who is also riding a helicopter? I remember getting on the minigun and thinking "Oh, I'll just shoot him off it" but it turns out you actually have to shoot the helicopter to blow him up. Not only that but other helicopters will continually come in for him to jump on and you have to make sure you kill them all and then blow up the one he is on. Dude... Infinitely spawning helicopters; I've heard of monster closets but helicopter closets is just a ridiculous thing to have in your game. Who designed that??

Also I had a moment in Ada's campaign where I was holding up and running toward the camera (like you do) and got grabbed by something. After I shook out of it the camera panned around for some reason and the game didn't tell me but I had to hold down after that. I didn't and immediately died. That's complete garbage. The game is just filled with moments like that which make absolutely no sense.

Those moments with the Rasklapanje (the guy on the left) are easily the worst in each chapter. Navigating an extremely convoluted map with these unkillable enemies chasing you is extraordinarily frustrating. I had to restart my checkpoints a bunch of times, I never knew where to go or how to get where I wanted to be and this happened in each of the 4 chapters. Ugh.

I still don't think this game plays all that terribly, but the rest of that game is pretty atrocious so I'd do my best to stay away.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's funny... first time I played RE6, I really liked it for what it was. Silly fun action. Second time, I hated large parts of it. Just had very little fun when the game was anything but shooting zombies/not-zombies, which thankfully still feels good. I must have been in a forgiving mood the first time through.

The Mercenaries mode is still addictive and fun, at least.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

RE6 is the reason I became cynical of triple A horror.

RE6 is disappointment incarnate.

If you put RE6 next to Hitler and gave me a gun with two bullets, I'd shoot RE6 twice.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main issue with RE6 is difficult to articulate. There's a certain looseness to the way you control your character that was not ever present in RE5 or 4. Shooting feels like it does nothing, it feels as though the character you are controlling is not entirely 'there' within the game world. I don't know, there's a certain disconnect. The incredibly shitty implementation of QTEs ties into this. Dodging the tree trunk swings in 4 feels more visceral than ANYTHING (at least of what I have played, I always give up) in 6.

Also, every time I say I'm going to play RE6 and finally finish it, my friend (that has played it) shows me this clip to dissuade me. It usually works.

Loading Video...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: Honestly it's very simple. RE4 and 5 have tank controls. RE6 does not. That's why it feels odd in comparison.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it through with my best friend on Leon's, and Jake's campaign, and we thought it was great. A lot of people seem to hate it, but personally I found it really good. Chris's campaign on the other hand is garbage. It was so bad we never got halfway, so I haven't tried out Ada Wong's story yet.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a very good game, but you can probably find some enjoyment out of it if you play it with someone else.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it through with my best friend on Leon's, and Jake's campaign, and we thought it was great. A lot of people seem to hate it, but personally I found it really good. Chris's campaign on the other hand is garbage. It was so bad we never got halfway, so I haven't tried out Ada Wong's story yet.

This is what I remember, playing through RE6 with a friend of mine that adores re1-3 and Code Veronica era and very much liked re4 as well but has a bit of an unexplained hate boner for re5. Leon's campaign felt like a mix of what he liked and hated but enough to be enjoyed. The repeated runaway boss battles in Gears of Chris War campaign got so obnoxious. The alternate fighting capabilities in the Jake campaign was interesting enough to hold a bit of attention when we played it. Would have been a okay game if not named Resident Evil?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

The game was good to begin with (it's the best Resident Evil since 4 and several orders of magnitude above trash like Revelations). The question is if you have gotten any better.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you want to dive into this thing again, I'd really recommend reading a FAQ on all of the different moves in the game. There are like a bajillion very important moves that make the game feel way smoother, that the game never mentions even once, not in the tutorial, and not the instruction booklet, if it even came with one. Most people played through the game at release with zero knowledge of this stuff, and to no fault of themselves, the game just failed to explain it's mechanics on every level.

Here is a link to a neoGAF thread back in 2012, detailing every move in the game.

I played RE6 about half a year after the PC release. For all of its faults, I never thought the way the game actually played was bad, I thought it was great. The problems lie entirely with how all the of the campaigns are structured. It's a complete slog to get through, with each campaign overstaying its welcome by a good 4 hours. I don't think I need to say any more though, this games problem's has been talked over ad nauseam 3 years ago.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee

@icemael said:

The game was good to begin with (it's the best Resident Evil since 4 and several orders of magnitude above trash like Revelations). The question is if you have gotten any better.

Implying that people didn't like RE6 because they weren't good enough at it (or were 'playing it wrong') is such baloney. RE6 isn't even that hard anyway.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@yummylee said:

@icemael said:

Implying that people who didn't like RE6 because they weren't good enough at it (or were 'playing it wrong') is such baloney. RE6 isn't even that hard anyway.

I played through the Leon, Chris, and most of the Jake campaign. I enjoyed the Leon campaign for the most part, but the mechanics are just bland. It's like Gears shooting but it doesn't feel half as good as Gears of War. It feels more like that weird Tecmo game that looked and played like Gears, where you were climbing some weird ass tower in some weird ass Witchblade inspired body armour.

Around the time in the Jake campaign where you go bobsledding is when I gave up. I rarely, if ever give up on games. Hell, I even finished Dark Sector and that was a boring crock of shit. RE6, though? Blah. Just bland, uninspired, and incoherent. It doesn't play as tight as it needs to, and it's very clear that the game suffered from developer schizophrenia. It just threw a bunch of ideas at the wall and instead of using what stuck, it just used every poop-flung dingleberry. Even the poop under the fingernails of Capcom made it in.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

@yummylee: It's not a difficult game to beat, but most people are absolutely "playing it wrong." Just look at @oldirtybearon. "It's like Gears shooting but it doesn't feel half as good as Gears of War." The game is nothing like Gears of War. This is on the same level as describing WipEout as "It's like Burnout but doesn't feel as good." It's true, you can play WipEout like Burnout, or Resident Evil 6 and Vanquish like Gears of War, or Guilty Gear like Street Fighter or whatever. You can also finish Dodonpachi and Metal Slug by credit feeding. If that's what you want to do, who's going to stop you? But your opinion on these games will be worthless.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemael: If somebody can get through the game without taking advantage of the counter or Quick Shot systems, that doesn't make their opinion ''worthless'', that just means a number of the game's mechanics could be argued as being superfluous. I on the other hand understand exactly how RE6 plays, how its mechanics works, and so on, and I still stand by it being shit.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, I just played the demo when it came out and that was like playing a very broken, very hectic 3rd person Call of Duty.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By shivermetimbers

Just so some of y'all know, I already beat the game (as mentioned in my OP), so I know the game is bad. My question was if the game has gotten more functional, which I somewhat knew was kinda a stupid question to ask because as people like @yummylee and @arbitrarywater have said it would take more than a patch to make a mechanically broken shitshow like this become playable. I just wanted to know if it became a slightly less painful experience. I wanted to see how this franchise evolved into what it is, but my decision has been made. I'm gonna skip this one on my RE roadtrip. I already know what the experience is like and it seems like the patches haven't really done anything.

@icemael said:

No Caption Provided

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: To stick with absolute facts: Yes it has gotten better and yes it is functional.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as people generally hated this one, I enjoyed it quite a bit. This being said, it is the worst out of the six core RE games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.