Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Official Resident Evil 6 impressions thread

• 133 results
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#101  Edited By Genkkaku

@Demoskinos: I bet that'd help soloing Professional but at this point I'm done with the campaign, the only reason for me to jump back in is to unlock all emblems which I'd do on Amateur to just blitz through it.. Dunno what I was hoping for though but something more cool.. also considering the skills don't crossover mercenaries and it takes a tonne of time to unlock it

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#102  Edited By musubi

So Cliffy B has been tweeting about RE6 all night. He seems to be enjoying it!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By handlas

As for skills that make the game easy for Professional.... I don't think anything beats the medic skill where your AI teammate can revive you with health. So you won't be revived and immediately be killed because you are in that weakened state. I didn't use any health until the final boss because of that skill.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By musubi

@handlas: Nice. I'll have to keep that in mind and try that out when I go for pro.

MegaMagick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By MegaMagick

Finished Leon's campaign a night ago, based on that i'd give it a 7.5 or so, solid but very flawed. However i just started Chris's campaign and it's like it ratcheted up to a whole new level of shit, the camera seems 10x worse and i keep running out of ammo. Making things worse my game froze while using melee on a guy.

playing on ps3 btw.

ricochetguro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ricochetguro

@Liquidus: I have played many and my (casual)love for Vanquish is part of why I love RE6 so much. The similar sliding mechanics combined with the melee system just make for a blast and one I honestly prefer to Vanquish. Comparing two great things though! If Vanquish had been a bit more substantial than it would probably surpass in it my mind. Just feel that by the time I got everything down the game was over. Still need to go back and do the last few challenges though and replay soon.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By handlas

I'm halfway through Jake's campaign probably now. Now I see the negatives. Too many QTEs, stealth crap, infinite respawning enemies on the snowy mountain... among other things. Bummer, I really really liked Chris's campaign but Jake's has just been tedious. I like the Nemesis knockoff creature but that's about it.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Lost_Remnant

I did end up liking this game quite a bit, but it really did end up being a jack of all trades and a master of none. If the game was half the twenty or so hours it took me to beat it and had a more consistent tone and just stuck to one of the campaigns all the way through I would of enjoyed it more. It was an interesting concept and I really tried to like what they were going for, different stuff going on across the globe, intersecting with other RE characters (I really do like hopping into other players games this way though, it's a novelty to be sure but I find it pretty neat) but by the end of entire thing story wise I was sort of left with a feeling of, a bunch of events happened but it was really, really messy. RE is known for some convoluted fiction, you sort of know that going in if you've been with the series for a long time but none of the story threads or anything that happened felt all that satisfying. So if the game was 10-12 hours and expanded in a bigger way on one of the campaigns (Leon's would be my vote) and spent more time beefing it up I would of had a better time I feel.

I was expecting to hate Jake though and came away really liking him and would be down for him to come back as one of the "new generation" leading RE characters, Sherry too. That overall campaign was a mixed bag but Jake and Sherry were a fun pair and I like what they did with them. Leon is still the heart and soul of the series for me though so hopefully he doesn't go away anytime soon and Chris? Eh. Just eh. Pier's was my main man throughout that campaign really like that character as well.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By shivermetimbers

This about sums up my opinion on RE6:

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#110  Edited By Yummylee

@shivermetimbers said:

This about sums up my opinion on RE6:

Haha, beat me to it.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@handlas said:

infinite respawning enemies on the snowy mountain...

There are infinitely respawning enemies in that section? I may just be remembering incorrectly, but if we're talking about the same area (the mountain place where you have to collect the data drives in the snowstorm and there's a snowmobile that you can ride on), I remember running around completely without opposition by the end of that sequence. Weird.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By musubi

@ahgunsillyo said:

@handlas said:

There are infinitely respawning enemies in that section? I may just be remembering incorrectly, but if we're talking about the same area (the mountain place where you have to collect the data drives in the snowstorm and there's a snowmobile that you can ride on), I remember running around completely without opposition by the end of that sequence. Weird.

I do believe you are correct. I recently just trucked back through that level collecting all the emblems in the game and just plowed through everything with jake's infinite ammo magnum. After a while there weren't really any guys left. The main thing is those flying B.O.W's are a major pain in the ass especially if you are playing through on a new game and have limited ammo.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By handlas

@ahgunsillyo said:

@handlas said:

Humm I'm playing on Professional so I don't know if that makes a difference or what you played it on but I kept killing enemies and more would just show up... in like groups of 3. Eventually I just decided to run through the entire thing and stop fighting which seemed to be the best option.

I just beat Jake's campaign. Bleh... dud compared to Chris's imo. Final boss on Chris's was a lot better too. Oh well, time for Leon. Hope I saved the best for last (and then the 4th campaign of course).

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@handlas said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@handlas said:

Humm I'm playing on Professional so I don't know if that makes a difference or what you played it on but I kept killing enemies and more would just show up... in like groups of 3. Eventually I just decided to run through the entire thing and stop fighting which seemed to be the best option.

I just beat Jake's campaign. Bleh... dud compared to Chris's imo. Final boss on Chris's was a lot better too. Oh well, time for Leon. Hope I saved the best for last (and then the 4th campaign of course).

Ah, that might be it. I played on Veteran, so I'm not sure what differences there are between difficulty levels (aside from that the QuickTime Events are done for you on Amateur).

I'm not sure which one of those two campaigns I liked more; I think I liked the gameplay and the story of Chris's campaign more than in Jake's, but I didn't like Chris as much this time around, whereas I liked Sherry and Jake and thought they had a pretty good chemistry together (in that anime romance sort of way, at least). I liked Piers, though. He served as a pretty good foil to Chris throughout their storyline.

I have to say, though, I thought the end boss of Jake's campaign was hilariously amazing, kind of in the "Chris punches boulders" way that the end boss in RE5 was. For that, I thought it was rather entertaining. I think I would've liked the last boss in Chris's campaign a bit more if ammo had been easier to come by; I ran out of ammo eventually and ended up having to kill the thing with my knife (which is actually kind of badass, in a way).

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By handlas

@ahgunsillyo said:

@handlas said:

@ahgunsillyo said:

@handlas said:

Ah, that might be it. I played on Veteran, so I'm not sure what differences there are between difficulty levels (aside from that the QuickTime Events are done for you on Amateur).

I'm not sure which one of those two campaigns I liked more; I think I liked the gameplay and the story of Chris's campaign more than in Jake's, but I didn't like Chris as much this time around, whereas I liked Sherry and Jake and thought they had a pretty good chemistry together (in that anime romance sort of way, at least). I liked Piers, though. He served as a pretty good foil to Chris throughout their storyline.

I have to say, though, I thought the end boss of Jake's campaign was hilariously amazing, kind of in the "Chris punches boulders" way that the end boss in RE5 was. For that, I thought it was rather entertaining. I think I would've liked the last boss in Chris's campaign a bit more if ammo had been easier to come by; I ran out of ammo eventually and ended up having to kill the thing with my knife (which is actually kind of badass, in a way).

Ya I ran out of ammo on the last boss as well and that was after saving up so much ammo the entire game that I kept dropping herbs and stuff to make room. Problem was I wasted most of it in the room prior to the boss where you fight a ton of enemies while waiting for the door to open.

It ended up being pretty easy but I imagine I would not of been able to beat the game without the medic skill for my AI teammate to heal me. Glad I bought that one.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By shivermetimbers

I wrote a review of RE6: http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-6/61-37273/user-reviews/?review_id=24233

I was much, much too tired to go into much detail and didn't feel like the game deserves much analysis, so I'll understand if you'll thumb it down. I'm not a professional game critic by any means.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By Sackmanjones

I just beat my first campaign, Leon's and man... I honestly really enjoyed his campaign but the last form of the boss is a fucking nightmare. It's almost a game of chance hoping it does what it's supposed to do. Other than that I really did enjoy his campaign. It took me about 7 seconds to figure out how to so the rope qte which was also the exact same thing as the one previously in chapter 4. So as for that I'm not sure what the trouble was

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

#118  Edited By Mikey2D

I've played through all of the three main campaigns and I have to say I have really enjoyed the hell out of it. I can't understand why the bombcast spent an entire hour ripping this game a new one - its not as bad as they and many other reviewers are making out. Obviously we can't all like the same things - but the issues are negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Overall I found Leon to have the least gripping campaign. I really liked the story within Chris' and found some great interactions between the two main characters in Jake's. For me Jake's was the most enjoyable - I think the hand to hand combat was awesome and made you feel bad ass as you charged in and beat the crap out of a load of dudes.

I still have Ada's to play through - hopefully it's worthy of the finale spot it's been given.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By musubi
    @Sackmanjones Oh wow. You just now finished one? I figured you would have been done. Im on like my 3rd time through the game now. =P
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Demoskinos I was playing each persons chapters one by one so last night I beat everyone else's. I thought Chris's fight was totally fine. Chris repeatedly says what to do but I'm guessing it helped that I had a buddy as piers. Jakes was pretty good too ( have no freakin clue what the problem was with that one specific qte, the arrows tell you exactly what to do).

I enjoyed the game though, I think there are definitely faults and drops in quality for a few things but overall it was a fun action ride (with some good action horror on Leon's side of things). I'd be lyin if I said I didn't wanna see the series restart and dip back into its old more horror, conserving ammo type but I guess I'm one of the few whose adapted to the new series and I thought the new controls were really cool and unique. Resident Evil is in a very interesting spot right now, Ill be really curious to see what happens.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Mikey2D I agree. Leon's story was the weakest but I had the most fun playing. Chris had a really interesting story to it and Jakes definitely had the best character interactions. For a series famous for its horrible/amazing voice acting and script it's actually pretty solid. The voice acting I thought was excellent which balanced out some of the cheese in the script, but overall they did capture some rather dramatic moments which is more than I can say for previous titles.
    That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By That1BlackGuy

After completing the game last week, I must say that at face value it was pretty enjoyable. Overall, I found the game repetitive despite knowing what they were trying to go for which is rather unfortunate. Now for the plot itself, it was very predictable to the point I was frustrated. I put together all the pieces after 1 1/2 campaigns which hurt my enjoyment of Ada's campaign. The secret endings came off pointless and inconsequential, espeically Ada's but I know what they were going for.

Individual Campaign thoughts:

• I enjoyed Chris's campaign the most by miles, then again Chris is my favorite character in the series so it's not surprising lol. I cosign Piers and was pissed that he ended up dying. I liked the gameplay here simply because it was a straight up shooter no extra BS no pretending (though some of the mechanics are shit) and thought the enemies were tougher compared to the other campaigns. Personal preference wise, his was simply the most fun for me.
    • Jake's was alright, a lot of running and I scoffed at the Nemesis ripoff, however he's pretty cool as a character even if he falls into predictable archetypes, they could've fleshed out his gameplay a bit more though. Fuck that Avalanche part... seriously fuck that part.
    • Leon was eh, never liked him as character so it was hard for me to care from the get go and his campaign had a LOT of annoying moments. They tried with the horror elements but it personally didn't click for me and the QTEs in this campaign were an absolute bitch lol. My main issue was the Simmons fights, not only were they repetitive they didn't change up the way you fought him in addition to his large health made his later battles unbearable to play through.
    • Ada was enjoyable however the main culprit was that by the time I got to her campaign it was more repetitiveness and I was just tired of it by that point in addition to putting together plot holes beforehand as said earlier. Her campaign did have a few bright spots, mostly the stuff that was exclusive to her campaign. Overall her campaign really felt like padding to the max, oh well they gave me a lot of ass shots so it is what it is.

EDIT: My bad on sps I covered up the stuff I thought was sp.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By musubi
    @Sackmanjones Yeah about where im at. I wouldn't mind if they went back to their roots ink ribbons and all but If they are going more action route that seems totally fine too. Have you played the ada bits yet?
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Demoskinos said:
    @Sackmanjones Yeah about where im at. I wouldn't mind if they went back to their roots ink ribbons and all but If they are going more action route that seems totally fine too. Have you played the ada bits yet?
    I completed her first chapter and its already filling in gaps of the story, looking forward to finishing that up and I heard its only about 3-5 hours so it will only take a couple days.  One of the high points for me though was playing everyones 4th chapter in a row. At that point the stories are the closest they ever get to each other and it was really really cool to see one perspective after another.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @That1BlackGuy: I've beaten the game but would you mind covering up spoilers for others who are reading this?
    That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By That1BlackGuy

@Sackmanjones: My apologies.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

This game gives me so many feels, man. I definitely feel as though it could have used a bit more time in the oven, yet I hardly found it to be a terrible experience. Of course, I much prefer the action-y Resident Evil over the more deliberate originals, so perhaps there's a bit of bias there. : d

- The controls were easy enough for me to grasp. After a bit of practice, I found myself dodging, shooting, and uh...melee-ing (?) with the best of them. I'm happy that they attempted a more robust hand to hand combat system, and I hope they'll continue to tweak that aspect in future installments. The 'floor scoot' is also an entertaining addition. My friends and I had a blast just shufflin' along the floor, shooting dead heads in the kneecaps.

- I was rather disappointed that weapon load outs were removed, and are now determined by what character you pick. The skills are OK, but I hope Capcom will reconsider letting you choose your own weapons next time around.

- For the most part, I liked what Capcom did with the story this time around. Sure, it's still as batshit bonkers as ever. But there were quite a few endearing moments for me. However, I really wish they didn't go for another set of disposable villains. The series really needs a big time antagonist now that Wesker's history, and I honestly felt that...

Carla would have been a good choice, had Ada not blown her away so soon. Her slimy form reminded of Dr. Cameron from Resident Evil 4D Executor, and it would have been interesting to have a villainess who could assume the shape of just about anything or anyone. Instead, they saddle her with the whole 'I'M TEH ADE!" gimmick. Sure, there's the Illuminati-esque "Family" to contend with. But I felt that Carla had more potential. Unless......(shifty eyes)

- The ammo thing is a bit meh. It makes sense for Leon and Jake's stories, but I would think that the B.S.A.A. would outfit their troops with a bit more. : d

Overall, I don't feel like I wasted $60 bucks. And that's always a good thing. Two cents, paid in full.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#128  Edited By HairyMike87

I think this game is okay. Too many times where you are restricted to walking or being forced to watch certain events without letting things just happen for my sake. Here's what I would like from Capcom, let the player just play the game and have things happen without taking control away from them as it would add to the exploration and tension. Infinite magnum ammo makes the campaign way more fun though and mercenaries is also a nice distraction.

3/5

Dr_Acula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Dr_Acula

The dude that voiced Kanji voices Jake, that lone gets 1 extra star.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Quarters

Finished the three main campaigns over the weekend, waiting for the free patch before tackling Ada. Honestly, I think it might be my GOTY. I was just immensely impressed by the variety, story, and production values. I even thought the gameplay was just super enjoyable. Awesome game. Just great.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By musubi

Holy shit! I just found out that you can dodge by using the left stick! If you click in the left stick and push in a direction you can dodge the same way as if you press the stick + A Button I had no idea this was a thing! That makes dodging while shooting SO much easier since you don't have to take you thumb off the right stick!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#132  Edited By Deranged

Why has Capcom decided to completely eliminate alternate costume for campaign? I enjoy Resident Evil 6, but it pissed me off that you can't switch costumes, only in Mercenaries.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#133  Edited By GunGunW

Of course the game had flaws. But I still thoroughly enjoyed the game. Many things unfortunately felt downgraded from Resident Evil 5, which was a shame. What really upset me was that there were weapons specific to each campaign and character, which I found to be... annoying. It also had a funny system of New Game + which I wasn't fond of. I think it should have had that system in Resident Evil 5 where you choose your weapons prior to every mission. I hated how there was no magnum. Considering the Desert Eagle (Lightning Hawk) is my favorite weapon in all Resident Evil, it kinda bums me out I can't use it with my favorite character. The grenade launcher is cool and all, but I would prefer a magnum. But all in all, I REALLY did like the game. It's my second favorite Resident Evil overall right behind 5. The thing is though, it took me more than a year of non stop playing and getting 100% completion with 5 to get bored with it, and I've had 6 less than a month and I'm starting to get bored of it... Shame. I wish there was more to do than Mercenaries and Campaign modes. I am glad they kept infinite ammo, but an infinite clip would have been nice as well. Still can't complain, and compared to to Operation Raccoon City, it's like walking into a bakery right in the morning when all their stuff is freshly baked. I know I ranted, but other than these things, this game was definitely a good one in my opinion. Mass Effect 3 and Resident Evil 6 are my favorite games of this year, even though they didn't live up to my expectations, that doesn't say that much since they were pretty high.

@mcderby4 said:

Why has Capcom decided to completely eliminate alternate costume for campaign? I enjoy Resident Evil 6, but it pissed me off that you can't switch costumes, only in Mercenaries.

Quoted for truth.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#134  Edited By cosi83

Finally played 4 chapters of Chris's campaign with a friend. It wasn't so bad. Pointing out it's flaws and overall dumbness made for a good few hours. Definitely a co op experience. If I had played this on my own, I may have hated on it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.