"Capcom. Call me. We can fix Resident Evil. Together.”-Cliffy B

• 68 results
#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (5595 posts) -

Title says it all, Cliff Blezinski of Gears of War fame has offered Capcom his help on the Resident Evil series.  He has been tweeting about this and I am really interested to see how this turns out. One thing seems certain if capcom takes up this offer, it is not going back to what it was before.  I have adapted to what Resident Evil has become (and admit to missing the older style) but if RE continues to go in the action direction I'd say recruiting Cliff wouldn't hurt.

#2 Posted by SlightConfuse (3996 posts) -

Well at least it will be a more competent Gears clone now.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (5595 posts) -
@SlightConfuse

To be honest I imagine the last thing he wants to do is make a gears type game. I could see some new ideas sprouting from him but you can be sure it will involve a lot of action (or maybe he will surprise us)
#4 Edited by SamStrife (1331 posts) -

Reminds me of T.O. tweeting the Jets to call him because he's still ready to play football...That's to say it's just an attention seeking tweet to remind people he's still around.

#5 Posted by FourWude (2274 posts) -

Needs more juice! Look at all dat juice, baby!!

#6 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

If anything if Cliffy B were to 'help' the resident evil series it would become nothing but a run and gun and any tiny bit of horror it had left would be gone.

#7 Posted by mwng (1041 posts) -

Seems a little insulting towards Capcom to assume Resident Evil needs fixing.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (17457 posts) -

That would be interesting....

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19845 posts) -

Nothing will come of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
#10 Posted by deactivated-57beb9d651361 (4541 posts) -

@mwng said:

Though totally justified.

#11 Posted by murisan (1143 posts) -

@mwng said:

Seems a little insulting towards RE fans that Capcom released RE6.

#12 Posted by Justin258 (15587 posts) -

After playing the demo of RE6 I'd say that recruiting Cliff could only help.

Yes, I know, that was just the demo, but there were things fundamentally wrong with the demo. It didn't run well, it didn't control well, it was slow and sluggish all of the time, etc. Anyway, this seems more like Cliff looking for attention than Cliff looking for a job.

#13 Posted by chrissedoff (2387 posts) -

I think the last thing Capcom is going to respond to will be someone openly showing disdain for the current direction of their flagship product. That said, there's no doubt in my mind Bleszinski could put together a team that would make better Resident Evil games than Operation Raccoon City and Resident Evil 6 were.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#14 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4136 posts) -
@CommanderZx2

If anything if Cliffy B were to 'help' the resident evil series it would become nothing but a run and gun and any tiny bit of horror it had left would be gone.

So exactly what it is now except it would be fun to play?
#15 Posted by Toxin066 (3536 posts) -

Deader, undeader, and more deadass.

I'm curious as to how a Cliffy B RE game would be, but curious in a good way.

#16 Posted by Barrabas (514 posts) -

A lot of people are taking what was obviously a joke twitter post way too seriously.

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15667 posts) -

Even though he's joking, I bet he could make a pretty good Resident Evil game.

#18 Posted by Sackmanjones (5595 posts) -
@Barrabas

A lot of people are taking what was obviously a joke twitter post way too seriously.

What makes it an obvious joke? He tweeted quite a few times playing the new one, seems at least genuine from what he has said now.
#19 Posted by Klei (1798 posts) -

I think he meant that he'd fix what's fundamentaly wrong with the game itself. Not change the scenarios or whatsoever.

#20 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

Resident Evil: Zombies of War confirmed?!

#21 Posted by UltorOscariot (221 posts) -

Nothing will come of this, but I wish I could see the alternative universe where something did. Keiji Inafune should tweet Epic games that he's got great ideas about the future of Gears and Unreal Tournament.

#22 Edited by AngriGhandi (926 posts) -

Well, he's said Gears was heavily influenced by RE4, so he pretty clearly has affection for the series.

And, seeing how RE6 has now fully tossed away most of the lessons of RE4's success in favor of poorly imitating Gears... well...

Uh...

I'm confused.

#23 Posted by alternate (2901 posts) -

I think people read way too much in to Cliff and his trolling tweets. Only last week or so that he tweeted about visiting Zenimax and the forums were all about him working for Bethesda.

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (8048 posts) -

People taking this way too seriously.

#25 Posted by hughesman (314 posts) -

Locust vs Zombies?

#26 Posted by SlashDance (1867 posts) -

GOD DAMNIT HUNNIGAN WE'RE PINNED DOWN OVER HERE !!!

#27 Posted by Solh0und (2170 posts) -

RE7 to feature Unreal engine 4.

I bet that would happen....

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#28 Posted by colourful_hippie (5892 posts) -

I just got a little excited.

#29 Posted by Akrid (1395 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

Reminds me of T.O. tweeting the Jets to call him because he's still ready to play football...That's to say it's just an attention seeking tweet to remind people he's still around.

Dat football analogy!

#30 Posted by pgn (20 posts) -

@murisan said:

@mwng said:

Seems a little insulting towards RE fans that Capcom released RE6.

haha /thread

#31 Posted by StarvingGamer (11517 posts) -

Sounds like exactly the last person in the world I would want working on an RE game. No thanks.

#32 Posted by Turambar (8251 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Barrabas

What makes it an obvious joke? He tweeted quite a few times playing the new one, seems at least genuine from what he has said now.

Because its being done over twitter.

#33 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4766 posts) -

Nothing will come of this.

#34 Posted by XenoNick (1580 posts) -

Joke or not I would like to see what he has in mind since RE4 was one of the influences for Gears.

#35 Posted by me3639 (2006 posts) -

Here's an idea, create a NEW IP.

#36 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5195 posts) -

Well it will be a better game, not sure it will be a Resident Evil game although at this point the Resident Evil name doesn't mean much so they might aswell go with Cliffy B.

#37 Posted by SamStrife (1331 posts) -

@Akrid: Every video game forum needs their crazy sports fans, you know that man.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
#38 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (881 posts) -

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here in my "Resident Evil 6 was actually a pretty fun game" bubble.

#39 Posted by Vitor (3088 posts) -

@mwng said:

Seems a little bit insulting to the Resident Evil fanbase to act like it doesn't.

#40 Posted by BoG (5390 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

My thoughts exactly. I don't think Cliffy B is the guy to put horror back into Resident Evil. The controls wouldn't be awful, though.

#41 Posted by Sackmanjones (5595 posts) -
@SecondPersonShooter

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here in my "Resident Evil 6 was actually a pretty fun game" bubble.

I'm simply reporting what he said. I will jump in the bubble with you
#42 Posted by mwng (1041 posts) -
@Vitor said:

@mwng said:

Seems a little bit insulting to the Resident Evil fanbase to act like it doesn't.

Woah there, just saying.

What do the Resident Evil fanbase even expect at this point?

I've had a good run with the series and would consider myself part of this fanbase, but lately I've decided that the direction they're going in just isn't for me. Do I expect them to cater to my wants from the series? Not really. Do I even know what I want from the series? Nope.
#43 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

Lambent Zombies. Just think of it, the horror.

#44 Posted by Etnos (260 posts) -

@mwng said:

it kinda does.

#45 Posted by GunstarRed (6048 posts) -

@CommanderZx2 said:

There's more horror in the handful of Kryll levels from Gears 1 than there is in the entirety of RE6.

#46 Edited by frankfartmouth (1048 posts) -

I don't like it. I know a lot of Japanese gaming companies are having trouble adapting to the market as it is right now, but having them all just jump on the coattails of Western developers sucks. I think they can find a way to get back on track without breaking their brand. Xenoblade Chonicles would be a good example I'd say. It mixed in a lot of the things that Western RPGs have brought to the table without throwing out the stuff that makes Japanese RPGs good. Capcom seems like they're just trying to make RE into CoD now, just a straight Western style shooter. Bringing in Cliffy B would make it a better shooter, sure, but they might as well just rebrand it and let EA or Activision buy them out.

#47 Posted by Nightriff (7193 posts) -

I actually think it would be great. I think Cliffy knows that RE is supposed to be survival horror and would adjust accordingly. At least you would know that the game would control better than ever. I want to see this but my understanding of Capcom is this won't ever happen

#48 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

lol Resident Evil.

#49 Posted by Phatmac (5939 posts) -

Sure. Resident Evil couldn't get any worse right? As a guy that thinks Gears 3 is one of the best games of this gen I'd love to give him a shot at it.

#50 Posted by TeflonBilly (4741 posts) -

I'm disappointed he didn't phrase it like this

RE6 was bad, ew
And the design was lazy
So here's my Twitter
Call me maybe?
- Dude Huge

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.